Dubbed or Subbed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BakaXero
Ive watched alot of anime and found some to be great and some crap
been in my experience part of the reason why something turns out crap is the voices they use.
Ive watched alot of anime that sounded better in jap but when i watch it in english it seemed crap so naturally i preferred watching subtitles
Just curious on how everyone else feels

SpikeSpiegel
I watch dubbed first, then with subs (sometimes) simply because I find it hard to watch the show and read through the sub titles at the same time.

Trinity_Matrix
There's only three anime that I can watch dubbed anymore...Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, and Fruits Basket. I much prefer anime subtitled, since so much anime is ruined when they dub it.

Gregory
Subtitled. Although there are some great English voice actors out there.

Basically, I think you can get away with more using subtitles. For one thing, horribly cheesy lines sound better when you can't actually understand them. And since we grow up speaking English (or whatever), it's more obvious when an English (or whatever) voice actor does a bad job than when a Japanese voice actor does.

Xena fan
subtitle is better thumb up

dragonpisces272
I love subtitle but it turns down the good qualities of the picture.

Kitoky
the subtitles are definately better because some of the dubbs are so stupid, sometimes the subtitles along with the language is much funnier and you can understand more.

BakaXero
yeah i thought subs were better myself

crazy_c
I prefer to watch it subbed cos then you know that nothings been screwd around with it

Gregory
Um ... no? Subtitles can be screwed around with just as easily as dubs can.

Out of curiosity, I've actually watched several animes with the audio dubbed but the subtitles on. I don't think I've ever seen an anime where the dub and the subtitles differed considerably, but of course, I've only done this with a tiny percentage of the shows out there.

Chaos_Cow
Dubbed all the way. If I stick to watching subtitled, I'd miss some great voice acting like in Hellsing.

Also, I can't IMAGINE Outlaw Star being nearly as funny without the timing that dubbing gives. Some lines are only funny spontaneously; I can't imagine Fred being as funny if I was reading it. Subtitling makes it feel, on the whole, more static, which is okay with some things. With hyperactive shows like Outlaw Star, though, it makes it feel a little funny.

Also, lip syncing isn't a problem in anime. If I was to watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, however, I would have to go subtitled. Really, to be honest, for anime the voice acting isn't that good (at least in comparison to a regular movie). Basically, the higher budget of the movie I'm watching, the more I'll consider subtitling.

whatshisface
dubbed is cool with anime. the way their mouths move doesn't really conform to one language, i mean they still look like they are talking in english even when they're not. in live action, subtitle all the way. there is so much emotion lost when a live action movie is dubbed. and the movements and speech don't conform.

so for anime, dubbed
for movies subbed

Kitoky
If it's already been dubbed and the special feature would be subtitled then they're probably make that out to be the same thing, but if you didn't do dubbed and still have subtitled, it'll do the translations from the original series.

Gregory
No, I mean with DVDs that allow you to choose between subbed and dubbed. You can choose dubbed but still turn the subtitles on. There are differences, but usually nothing more impressive then word choice.

Kitoky
I know what you're talking about but the subtitles are probably the same as the dubbed when they dubbed it.

Gregory
Right. And my point was that it doesn't make sense (as crazy_c did) to say that subtitles are more accurate than dubs when the two are essentially identical.

Kitoky
Not all DVD's are originally dubbed, know this.

big gay kirk
Hajimemashite... dozo yorishiku... Big Gay Kirk desu... I'm learning Japanese, so that I can watch anime in the original... better than subtitles or dubbing...

Kitoky
Atashi no namae wa kitoky desu!

big gay kirk
Ah... so desu! Igirisujin desu...

Trinity_Matrix
Mina-san, yoroshiku! Watashi no namae wa Trin desu! Minna genki? Watashi ii yo ne!

Yep, I'm learning Japanese too...and the reason I don't like to watch dubs is because so often the VAs are HORRIBLE.

dragonpisces272
yes

XxILuvVegetaxX
I prefer subbed anime. Sometimes dubb anime is good, but a lot of the times its not even close to the Japanese version. And I hate when they make lil kid voices sound like theyre grown men. Like Arima's voice from Kare Kano, it just doesn't match.

Bardiel13
Originally posted by Chaos_Cow
I can't IMAGINE Outlaw Star being nearly as funny without the timing that dubbing gives. Some lines are only funny spontaneously; I can't imagine Fred being as funny if I was reading it. Subtitling makes it feel, on the whole, more static, which is okay with some things. With hyperactive shows like Outlaw Star, though, it makes it feel a little funny.

Yeah, but Outlaw Star's dub sucked... Too many veral cliches for my taste.

I go with subs, but I'll watch a few minutes of dub just to see what the english voices are like.

Lord Ryugen
English dubs on anime have a general tendancy to suck big time, I much prefer subtitled anime. There are a few exceptiions of course, GTO and Fushugi Yugi amongst them.

harppie brother
if you under stand the words they are saying you don't have to read the small white words

Blue nocturne
Originally posted by Lana
Mina-san, yoroshiku! Watashi no namae wa Trin desu! Minna genki? Watashi ii yo ne!

Yep, I'm learning Japanese too...and the reason I don't like to watch dubs is because so often the VAs are HORRIBLE.

Like ADV. sick

Black Adam
dubbed.

BakaXero
wow!! there's a big 2 year gap in this thread shock

XxILuvVegetaxX
I hate dubbed versions, but there are some good ones

what are you referring to?

Templares
Depends on the quality of the dubs.

Clone
Dubbed.

Wolfie
I prefer dubbed unless the dubbing is really bad, then I'll go subbed. I liked dubbing 'cause I can passively watch it if I want to.

Broly92
Dubbed unless it is bad or much diffrent from the original than maybe subbed

I hate reading and watching ranting

D_A_R_E
I prefer subbed. In my opinion dubbed just really sucks. (No offense to all you dubbed lovers.) I like the original voices in the subbed. I also like the storylines a lot better normally. I think that a lot of the dubbed Animes are cut too much, the voices suck, and the storylines suck.

Black Adam
Originally posted by D_A_R_E
I prefer subbed. In my opinion dubbed just really sucks. (No offense to all you dubbed lovers.) I like the original voices in the subbed. I also like the storylines a lot better normally. I think that a lot of the dubbed Animes are cut too much, the voices suck, and the storylines suck.

umm the story lines are basically the same when it comes to sub or dub for most animes. just as long as 4kids doesn't touch it anyway.. stick out tongue

Darth Macabre
Depends on the anime....If there's good action scenes, then I go with dubbed...If there's an actual plot, I go with subbed.

D_A_R_E
Originally posted by Black Adam
umm the story lines are basically the same when it comes to sub or dub for most animes. just as long as 4kids doesn't touch it anyway.. stick out tongue

I realize that, but sometimes because of how much they cut the storyline ends up completely different. It probably wasn't intentional, but still.. I don't like it.

XxILuvVegetaxX
yes!! that makes sense!! i think that way too! X3

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by XxILuvVegetaxX
yes!! that makes sense!! i think that way too! X3

You know what they say...Great minds think alike! stick out tongue

Celestialgirl
I think it depends, some dubbings are good because the voices are awesome! Like Fushigi Yugi. Ceres I thought was done so horribly it almost turned me off the whole series. I was like thank God for subtitles.

NINJ4_BL4D3
Subbed......... for some reason when the english version of an anime comes out it just dumb's it down....it kind of makes it migurushii,

Like how the english version of naruto......chikushou...that killed it, with changing the technique names, i mean daiben
The only execption would be DBZ.

Outcesticide
Dubbed. I'll just keep watching it regardless how great/bad the voice acting is. Doesn't matter to me. I can get use to it. Think about it, I bet there was an Anime that you liked that was on TV and you had to get use to it, unless you really loved it and went out and bought it, and eventually just forgot about how bad the voice acting was.

aznsportsgrl
Ergh..Personally..I love subbed..Dubbed (in english) always stinks..

I can only say like...a couple of things in Japanese..my friend's Japanese..xD

Watashi Wa Ichigo Aisu Kurrim Ga Suki Desu <- xD

Black Adam
Originally posted by aznsportsgrl
Dubbed (in english) always stinks..

Cowboy Bebop dub stunk?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.