American Outlaws/Young Guns II: Discussion Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BOPRecruit 16
Alright, Darth Raven!

Here's the first ever American Outlaws/Young Guns II Crossover story on kmc with a thread where we can discuss the plot and everything that we need to talk about to get the story underway. (I was thinking of placing this thread within' the "General Fiction Area", but I changed my mind and thought that Captain Rex would prefer to have it here...) Let's get into negotiations and type away! ^.^

Let the fun begin,

Sodapop Allerdyce the Sane Psycho

P/S: If other writers request or would like to join our little project, I'll take it into careful consideration.

Darth Revan
Alright... I've been doing some research on Billy the Kid, and there seems to be a big issue here: there's Billy the myth, then there's Billy the person. The myth is a cold-blooded outlaw who kills for no reason other than to watch his victims die... Or, depending on the source, was also described as being a heroic Robin Hood type figure. In reality, he was mostly just misunderstood. He led a tough life and really had to know how to shoot a gun well in order to survive.

So, are we adhering to reality here, or are we using more of the myth version as a character?

BOPRecruit 16

BOPRecruit 16
Hmm...good question. I'm not quite sure which version of Billy the Kid that Young Guns used... I think they leaned more towards the real person. Just a hunch. *shrugs* Please let me know if you need me to post a link to a site that talks about the movie and all.

Darth Revan
Plot sounds good to me. yes

This is the site I found that talked about Billy the Kid:

http://www.aboutbillythekid.com/

Can't find one about the movie though erm

BOPRecruit 16
Information on Young Guns 1 and 2

Imdb.com: Young Guns (1988)

Imdb.com: Young Guns II (1990)

The 80's Movies Rewind: Young Guns (first one)

((Let me know if you need more information to back the synopsis of the movies up!))

((Btw, Thanks for that link about Billy the Kid! I'll check it out later ^.^))

BOPRecruit 16
Characters

Young Guns II
- Billy The Kid - Emilio Estevez
- Arkansas Dave - Christian Slater
- Henry William French - Alan Ruck
(maybe add Pat Garrett and Viggo Mortensen's Character?)

American Outlaws
- Jesse James - Colin Farrell
- Frank James - Gabriel Macht
- Cole Younger - Scott Caan
- Bob Younger - Will McCormack
- Zerelda Mimms - Ali Larter
(we can use the rest of the James-Younger gang if we want, but don't have to though)
- ((Cast List at Imdb.com: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244000/))

Movie/Historical Time Period

Although Young Guns took place in the late 1870's and American Outlaws around the late 1860's, is it okay if we ignore the time gap? The reason I brought this up because Jesse James would be about 40-41, which the official movie site said is how old he was when he died. As for Billy, he was 20-21 in both Young Guns movies and took place in New Mexico while most of American Outlaws was in Missouri and ended in Tennessee. I would much rather prefer to use the younger and wilder Jesse James (played by Colin Farrell) than the adult version which could've been played by Brad Pitt. (Remember or did you read the article at kmc movie site about how there was going to be a movie based on a book called "the assassination of jesse james", with brad pitt as jesse?) Is this okay with you?

Darth Revan
Yeah, the gap is fine, we kind of have to ignore it if this is going to work.

BOPRecruit 16
although arkansas dave got hanged shortly after young guns 2, i would prefer to just say that never happened and that he meets up with billy later or something like that. now, what do you think of the cast? shall we use them all or just the main outlaws?

BOPRecruit 16
Since you know more about Billy the Kid than I do, although you haven't seen the Young Guns movies yet, would you like to take charge in writing most of the scenes that have him in it? As for me, I'll take charge of "playing" Jesse James. Or, we can just take turns of doing things from their perspective. (Mind you, not their point of view!) What do you say?

Darth Revan
Yeah, that would work best if we each took one character and wrote the scenes involving them.

BOPRecruit 16
what do you think about what i said about arkansas dave and involving the other outlaws from those movies?

so you agree to taking turns or taking charge of doing one character for each of us to focus upon?

Darth Revan
I think it should be mostly around Jesse and Billy... Involving a whole lot of minor characters would make it too complicated.

BOPRecruit 16
maybe jesse's wife, zerelda, his brother, james, and maybe arkansas dave from young guns can have small cameos?

BOPRecruit 16
ack! eek! >,< i meant frank james not just "james" there! laughing

BOPRecruit 16
do you have an understanding of the plot for both movies yet?

BOPRecruit 16
let me know if you have any ideas for the plot and how the story should start!

Darth Revan
Well, are we starting BTK's part of the story in New Mexico, or are we going straight to Tennessee?

BOPRecruit 16
i think the story could start out where btk is making his leave in new mexico and travel to tennessee, to where he heard it was safe for people like him. (sorry, darth! i've gtg now. dinner. not sure if i'll get back on later today. bye for now smokin' )

Darth Revan
Alright... Well, do you want to just start? I've never done one of these before, sorry if I seem a little ignorant on the topic erm

BOPRecruit 16
I'm guessing, you'll take care of billy's part while i tend to jesse james role. I think we discussed that Billy's bit was to go first and that you can go first. Need any help with the starter? remember, you don't have to write up alot in a bit. also, i could do a some of billy's role with you too. but i'll mainly stick to jesse. (btw, i'll post the story thread, let me know when to do that!)

Darth Revan
Hmm... I'm going to take a look in some of the other threads to see what they look like when they're going yes

Just to get a better idea of how this works wink

BOPRecruit 16
don't kill yourself over doing one simple short story bit for your turn. do you remember what we talked about how we wanted to start the story with billy leaving new mexico and going to tennessee, where jesse lives but billy doesn't know it? he just thinks it's a good place to lie low for outlaws like him, pretty much.

BOPRecruit 16
have you gotten the jest yet? if not, i can always help you along the way! cool

Trickster
You should have BtK move into the town by stagecoach, maybe evev just have the story based over two days. Like, BtK walks into the saloon and makes some friends or something, but then Jesse recognises him from a poster, and they duel, but are interrupted by something. Then through the night they hunt each other, knowing the only way to live is to kill the oher, but maybe BtK escapes on the next stage...

BOPRecruit 16
Did you even read the notes that Darth and I posted earlier? Like our plans to start the story and how's it all going down, pretty much? I don't want this to go over in just two days.

Trickster
Yeah, I did. I was just giving an idea. A two-day story can last a long time, you know.

Hey, I'll re-read them, and post again smile

Trickster
Yeah, my idea could fit in with your notes... You could stretch it or whatevr, but 'twas just an idea.

BOPRecruit 16
I would like it to last a bit longer than that....We can make certain days lengthy and mention that a few days more or less has gone by.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.