Brand New

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
Any fans of Brand New?

I am in such an EMO mood embarrasment droolio regardless, Brand New rock! happy

Anyone else like them? Doesnt like them?

furryman
I loves them droolio except the screechy guysad

lil bitchiness
droolio Great taste Jezzy!

No one else seems to like them or dislike them messed

furryman
eek! VA touched Jesse Happy Dance

SnakeEyes
i like this band, have u noticed how almost all of their song titles are really strange or really long?

lil bitchiness
Yes! 'Shower Scene' for example...thats kinda weird...and Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades

Oh man, i love the weirdness!

Furious Angel
all their song titles are quotes from books, poems, artwork, etc.

and i love brand new with all my heart...my favorite band ever drooliojessey lacey IS god love

lil bitchiness
love Amazing.

They are a great band!

furryman
Good To Know That If I Ever Need Attention All I Have To Do Is Die smile

droolio and Guernica is by Picasso http://images.killermovies.com/forums/custom_avatars/avatar10257_1.giflove

Furious Angel
guernica is one of my favorite paintings...and one of my favorite songseek!

furryman
omg yes, the first few seconds are so orgasmic embarrasment

Furious Angel
yes *melts*

lil bitchiness
Guernica is a great song, but i not Picasso's greatest fan im afraid, droolio

Alpha Centauri
Snap out of it man.

They're no different to the other thousand, same-sounding emo bands out with lame names and pretentious titles.

Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Story Of The Year, Autumn To Ashes, Finch, Saves The Day, Fool Proof.

All of them sound the same and have these fake songs.

They aren't screechy, they're weasels. All they do is make noise, how you call it melodic is beyond me.

-AC

lil bitchiness
Well like you said, its beyond you, so there is little chance of us explaining it to you.

I love EMO bands like Glassjaw, BoySetsFire, Brand New...all great.

Furious Angel
thanks mila love

furryman
exactly wink

and Me vs. Maradona vs. Elvis is a great acoustic song thumb up

Arachnoidfreak
Erg, emo. Just...whiners. Stop complaining damnit. I'm with AC here.

Alpha Centauri
"Well like you said, its beyond you, so there is little chance of us explaining it to you."

Beyond me in the sense I used it is just a phrase. It's not beyond me, I understand WHY you like them. It's just shit. Coz....well, they are.

Glassjaw are Emo but are in a totally different class to Brand New. They're very good. An often void quality in any emo band.

Just because you don't understand the song titles, doesn't mean that they have tremendous meaning. Just means you're dumb for thinking their is.

"Good to know that if I want attention all I have to do is die."

This is clever how? It tells you what it means. Secondly, none of them would get attention coz there's about a hundred bands just like them.

Emo bands= Statistics.

All the bands I mentioned are shit, including Brand New. Besides the fact that I saw them live when they supported Incubus and none of them can sing or play for shit. The front man sounds like a broken fax machine when he sings OUTSIDE of the studio.

-AC

tabby999
i like brand new, while they do at times swing into a blink 182-esq sound, they do have really good lyrics. unfortunatly they sound like whingy bitches when they arn't playing, blink 182 were touring with them, and as a joke got their security to act as though they had done something wrong, and run up and act all serious to Brand New, who are now acting like spoilt little girls and have cracked them with blink

lil bitchiness
I see, that amongst other things you are not familiar with sarcasm either,

OOOOO you saw them live, wow, please tell us all about it, because none of us saw any of them live. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Second of all, take the time and read the damn thread before you reply, we DO understand the titles, of the songs, and thats why we like it. All the titles of their songs are works of art, or books.

And thrid of all, dont tell me to snap out of anything, if you dont like tem, your problem, dont force your opinions on anyone.

furryman
I didn't mean 'Good to know...' was deep and clever, it's one of my favourite songs of theirs sleep I was giving an example of a "long" title somebody mentioned they used.

Deathblow
uh huh thats because a lot of the time they're closer to hardcore than emo.

I don't really like Brand New, and I have to agree, on the surface they do kind of slot into the usual emo sound erm emo is always better when its heavier and more dynamic, like Glassjaw or BSF. Although saying that I like Taking Back Sunday, who are pretty similar in style to Brand New.

I'm rambling like an old man shutup

Alpha Centauri
"Second of all, take the time and read the damn thread before you reply, we DO understand the titles, of the songs, and thats why we like it. All the titles of their songs are works of art, or books."

Their songs aren't works of art just because they are named after artists and books.

"And thrid of all, dont tell me to snap out of anything, if you dont like tem, your problem, dont force your opinions on anyone."

Not forcing my opinions on anyway. I'm just stating them. Brand New being shit is closer to fact than opinion however. As for snapping out of it, I say that to people who I pity being such slaves to record company marketable bands and sucked into thinking "Oh they're so weird. So deep". Bullplop.

"Although saying that I like Taking Back Sunday, who are pretty similar in style to Brand New"

Who are similar in style to Finch, who are similar in style to Story Of The Year, who are similar in style to Saves The Day, who are similar in style to Autumn to Ashes.

All of the above are wannabe Jimmy Eat World's. Who are, in themselves, a wannabe Weezer. Although Jimmy Eat World are in another musical plain than those bands. Weezer are in another musical universe to most bands.

-AC

Df02
1)read it again, she never said they were works of art...she said the song names were named AFTER works of art etc.... think shes explained that twice now.
2)you always treat your opinions like fact...always haha, ur 1 of the more closed minded people on the forum imo. and how you can say "Brand New being shit is closer to fact than opinion" is ridiculous....since calling them shit is in itself AN OPINION.
Oh your another of those "record labels are sin!!" ppl....fair enough, but its pretty stupid trying to force this ideal onto other people and disregarding their choice to like who they want to like... i listen to everything i like, regardless of them being "marketable" bands or not...just so happens that quite alot of the stuff i like arent marketable bands..
3)every band takes influence from other bands, and if they werent similar in style they wouldnt be under the same genre tag would they?
4)its funny you mention Jimmy Eat World since they used to be a full on Emo band, but left the genre to pursue more profitable things as a "marketable" band.....Weezer are great, but i wouldnt claim them to be in "another musical universe to most bands"

lil bitchiness
I think Df02 pretty much covred all i wanted to say and more! thumb up

Fearnix
no offence but i always thought EMO was for moaning whining teenagers who think life is agianst them

Df02
it is.....haha, doesnt mean they cant make quite listenable music tho stick out tongue
im not a full Emo fan, i like the odd band and the odd song... too much tends to get boring quickly imo

i like em

~AlluNeedIsLuv~
AMAZING BAND!! i'm love them!

~AlluNeedIsLuv~
***I'm IN love with them*** thats what i meant to say

fuct_up_kid
i love brand new

at the moment my favourite songs are
'the boy who blocked his own shot'
and
'okay, i believe you but my tommy gun don't'

tabby999
i also find it quite humerous in a ironic little way that Alpha is now getting stuck on that "its beyond me" "you just dont understand" crap that they spin everytime someone talks about Tool. "oh they arn't a real fan because they could never really understand tool." you should learn to stop making silly coments

Deathblow
I'm sorry, but From Autumn To Ashes sound absolutely nothing like Jimmy Eat World, neither do Finch. And I honestly couldn't give a shit who Story Of The Year and Saves The Day sound like. I hate both.

Seriously though, FATA a wannabe Jimmy Eat World? That's laughable. You obviously have never listened to Too Bad You're Beautiful. It's literally light years away from any of those bands you mentioned, especially JEW, who are a bubble gum pop-punk band, who emotionally are on a par with a pebble. I've defended the emo bands I like in that ridiculous 'emo sucks' thread, and I will continue to do so, as there seems to be a never ending stream of people who think they know exactly whats good and what isn't, and anyone who likes emo is clearly a trendy wrist-slashing whiner. Get over it.

***S***
Brand New arent that bad. I like a few songs, but I still cannot really get into the Emo/New Age Punk scene. It is just a little to rediculous for me.

I consider myself to have fairly good taste when it comes to music. I really do not limit myself to any spacific genre. I like Finch, some Brand New, some Saves the Day, Jawbreaker, etc. But it just doesn't, to me, fit the title of EMOtional. Took out rant to put in the Emo thread

That is what I thought when I read that post. blink

FATA are like Jimmy Eat World? And JEW are NOT emo... they are, as was stated, Pop-Punk.

Samas-adian
Well i like them. i feel their chord progressions or guitar work is prety goood. I also enjoy the how they have two singers. They're not highly original but doesn't mean they're not good. All those hardcore bands are not original also.

Df02
as can be seen, people just blindly insult anything that can be put under the umbrella term of emo, with very little sense behind their arguments...

FATA are nothing like JEW, FATA are nothing like Brand New, even Brand New and JEW have lots of differences between them! and like i said before, even if there are similarities in the music...so what? if they were completely different they wouldnt be stuck under the same genre haha.

can almost garuantee from reading this thread that AC has never actually listened to the From Autumn to Ashes album... theres no other excuse for labelling them as a wannabe Jimmy Eat World band

LiQuiD
brand new is my favorite band and anyone here who is saying they sound like taking back sunday etc.... must be basing this on their first album(which was also great, just in a diff way).... because if you heard Deja Entendu you would not be sayign that. Their style and especially lyricism is completely different and miles above any of those other bands (some of which arent bad either) whatever... to each his own i guess

Alpha Centauri
Brand New are f*cking awful.

Bunch of talentless clone nobodies who happen to sound like complete and utter shit outside of the safety of a studio.

It's not about "hearing" one of their albums and seeing how good they are. They're shit, they perform shit live. That's not opinion, anyone who knows a great live show knows they're shit if they've seen them.

They suck. Horrific band. Not because you wanna call them "emo" or what not, but because they're shit.

Originally posted by Deathblow
Seriously though, FATA a wannabe Jimmy Eat World? That's laughable. You obviously have never listened to Too Bad You're Beautiful. It's literally light years away from any of those bands you mentioned, especially JEW, who are a bubble gum pop-punk band

Funny that, considering that Jimmy Eat World are actually an emo band in the traditional sense. One of the originals. Making you wrong on that claim. I'm surprised a supposed emo proprietor like yourself didn't know that.

Originally posted by Deathblow
who emotionally are on a par with a pebble. I've defended the emo bands I like in that ridiculous 'emo sucks' thread, and I will continue to do so, as there seems to be a never ending stream of people who think they know exactly whats good and what isn't, and anyone who likes emo is clearly a trendy wrist-slashing whiner. Get over it.

I don't think emo is a wrist slashing genre, by any means. You can continue to do whatever you like, Sam. It's not an issue for me.

With regards to From Autumn to Ashes, I have actually listened to them so don't assume I haven't. I was being slightly too general when I claimed the bands I listed were wannabe J.E.W's, yes. However, it wasn't until Say Hello to Sunshine (Which I also don't like) that Finch shed the emo skins, they're ashamed of it. As Victor Von Doom so rightly pointed out while we were discussing genre labelling, System of a Down were Nu-Metal. Like J.E.W were emo. It's only because loads of wannabe shit attached themselves to the genre like ticks on a nutsack that everyone thought THAT was Nu-Metal and THAT was emo.

So I agree, there'll be a never ending stream of people who don't know what they're talking about. Most of them in this thread, not including me.

-AC

Red Superfly
Brand New suck. Please stop screaming.

With every band, I like to try and justify the demeanour of the song with the lyrics and the message thats trying to be sent out to the listener (if there is one).

With Brand New, I'm like "Is there anyway you could do this that somehow even remotely matches what you are actually talking about?"

The screaming! Why? Whhhhy?

*listens to Brand New to try and understand just what the hell they are trying to do*

*ears begin to bleed*

Alpha Centauri
They're actually shit.

It's not even about emo this or that, if we want to get technical. I think genre labelling besides the obvious (Rock/Metal etc) is stupid.

I have three genres. Bands I like to different degrees, bands I love to different degrees and bands I hate to different degrees.

I don't see the point in all these different "cores". Metal"core", Grind"core", Rap"core", Emo"core".

Brand New fall into the latter. They're also a shit band, gives it that extra umph.

Whilst emo might get unfairly and improperly stereo typed, if someone says they like emo, I can usually name about 14 bands who they will like. None of them sound different.

-AC

Wolf Dog
Yah, I think genre labelling to that degree is stupid too. And isn't all music "emotional" anyways? All music brings out certain emotions in my opinion.

tabby999
seeing as when i originally put in my opinion on the band it was quite a while ago, i'm gonna update it. i do like Brand New. While they aren't world breakers, they are pretty good, their lyrics are pretty good, their music isn't technically amazing, but they do the job. i got nothing against them and i think AC is giving them a bit of a bum rap

Alpha Centauri
I think they're shit in each and every way possible.

Including live.

-AC

RedAlertv2
Thats too bad, because you are missing out on a decent band

Alpha Centauri
I'm not missing out, because to miss out I'd have to dismiss them totally while barely knowing a thing.

They suck. I've seen them live, heard their songs, read their lyrics.

Shit in all said aspects.

-AC

barbarossa
I am an enemy of Emo music. no expression

SlipknoT
EMO HOLOCAUST! no expression

Alpha Centauri
Well I can't actually say I'm an enemy of "emo" music. Due to Jimmy Eat World being an original band of that genre, and me liking them alot.

I am an enemy of shit bands which includes most bands regarded (rightly or wrongly) as "emo" today.

-AC

Alpha Centauri
Well I can't actually say I'm an enemy of "emo" music. Due to Jimmy Eat World being an original band of that genre, and me liking them alot.

I am an enemy of shit bands which includes most bands regarded (rightly or wrongly) as "emo" today.

-AC

Red Superfly
Oh, I really need to stop saying "emo". It gives the wrong impression.

In my last post, wherever I say "emo" I mean the stereotypi8cal identikit emo. It DID look like I was tarring every band generally considerred to be emo with one huge shit-brush. That's not the case.

Maybe if I just said "shit middle class/rich kid identikit whiny crap" it would give a better indication of who I mean.

When I say "emo" I mean the likes of Bullet For My Valentine, Funeral For A Friend, Brand New and their ilk. They remind me of when Busted and McFly were around, I couldn't honestly tell you whose songs belonged to who. In a scene where bands are pulling out such similar stuff, to a point where you start to confuse their songs, it just speaks volumes about the scene in general.

Jimmy Eat World kick arsery!

Afro Cheese
I don't like Jimmy Eat World, Weezer or Brand New, so I guess I'm pretty much "anti-emo." I don't put down the genre cause I don't know anything about it but I don't have any interest in listening to it either. Even the older stuff that elitists consider "real" emo like Fugazi and Sunny Day Real Estate just doesn't do much for me.

tabby999
i do really like Jimmy Eat World, but i like brand new too. ah the conflicting interest

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.