Stupid Venom

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
who here thinks that the current Venom looks really horrible. I mean he is one of my favorite Spidey villains, but in his series and in the current Spectacular Spiderman he looks like a big blob. I really do not like what they did with him.

SnakeEyes
anyone agree? disagree?

Koto K
As ironic as it may sound coming from me, I really hate that pseudo-Japanese style they have been using in the current Venom regular series. Its WAY too rigid and the proportions are cartoonily out of whack. It's like a stylized enima. If they got an actual Japanese artist to draw it in more of true to form Manga/Anime style, it would look kick-ass-tastic. unfortunately, the hacks working at marvel right now are going BEYOND overboard with their designs. The current Venom is like the disfigured lovechild of Warner Brothers and Anime artists.

FeceMan
I like the new Venom. sad

Red Superfly
I like the old Venom. The Venom that looks like Spider-Man only slightly bigger. He's supposed to look like a tall bloke is in a skin tight costume. It's not supposed to look like a Hulk-like monster.

And ANYTHING to do with Anime working its way into comic books is a bad idea.

badsymbiote
At first I was no great fan of the new version of Venom, either, but I've had nearly two years to get used to it. It's amazing how age and time makes you better able to handle adjustments.

Oh, and I'll tell you who also hates the new Venom--Spidey-RJ and blackwidowlover--maybe y'all can start an "anti-Venom" fan club. And, furthermore, the last issue of Venom's book is slated for release next month, so you won't have to tolerate it for very much longer. Lucky you!

Red Superfly
Well, I could warm to it, but I don't see it happening. The Venom (seen in Venomfans sig I believe) of old is just too classic. I grew up in the 80's, and with that look.

Venom looking like that, is like Spider-Man looking really scrawny (I like the size he is in the movie and the "classic" size). I can't adjust to it, because it's a childhood thing.

Venom looks like The Hulk with the symbiote.

If thats what happens to Eddie when he wears it - imagine what The Hulk would look like wearring it? He'd be the size of a small moon!

No, I think they should have really restricted his size. That's just my opinion.

I think it may be because he looks a LITTLE like the Venom from Spidey unlimited - which I still have nightmares about today (the show, not Venom).

badsymbiote
Again, a compelling and coherent arguement from you, Superfly. Point goes to you, and I never meant to imply that you might join the anti-venom club. I'm sure you know this. And Hulk with the symbiote--that WOULD be a sight.
Venom will be back to the proportions everyone knows and loves in V vs. C, and Frank Cho's Venom in Marvel Knights Spidey title. I'm looking forward to both as well.

Alpha Centauri
Symbiote would have ultra trouble bonding. Bruce's MPD and all.

-AC

Stealth Agent
Doesn't the symbiote turn into something eddie is deep inside or something. Maybe he's a monster deep inside i don't know don't really read the comics. I should though how much do they cost when do newer ones come out.

kiekan
They have had the Symbiote bond with The Hulk (pictured below). But to stay on topic, I sorta agree, the current Venom (and Spider-man) shown in the Venom run don't look nearly as good as the style of drawing used during the 80's and early 90's. Though, I must say, Paco Medina's version of Venom is pretty killer (I absolutly loved his art in the current run).

kiekan
Another page from the above comic (What if Volume 2 #4).

kiekan
Last one....

Koto K
It's weird, after seeing how Marvel is drawing venom currently, the Hulk venom doesn't seem so crazy looking (except for the dull teeth). I've seen pictures with the Eddie Brock and Robertson symbiote twice as large as the Hulk symbiote.

kiekan
Yeah, I know what'cha mean. The Venom art in the 80's and 90's (Which this version of the Hulk came from) is almost completly different from the current designs.

Oh, on another note, I just finished reading the new chapter of your She-Venom Fan Fic. All I can say is.... wow. I sure hope the ending isn't rolling around soon.

Spiderman_RJ
AGREE TOTALY AGREED<FINALY SOMEONE SEE BEYOND SELLING MARKS HERE!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ESTERIOTYPED HIM, so the cool venom fan boys wusss, buy the comics.
ps: sorry baddiegirl, but thats what i think

Ghetto Goblin
hey, kiekan, those are awesome, put more.

where did you get those pages pics.

i need to know.

Ghetto Goblin
did venom suck parkers age out to when he ran out of power.

why is parker so old.

badsymbiote
Hey, I don't see why you guys keep apologizing to me for this stuff. You all have your own opinions, and I have mine. It's statistically impossible to agree with anybody and everybody on every subject. It be kewl--I don't care. I would respect y'all alot less if you didn't voice your opinions as I do mine, believe me.
And far as Eddie Brock OR Venom, I also have my preferences--I hate long hair on men, and yet when they drew him with a mullet or that Fabio hair, I just had to look past it, you know? It is not always easy, though.

Arachnoidfreak
I didn't like the new Venom either, but it grew on me like a fungus.

FeceMan
The only changes I would make to "Manga-Venom" would be to make him leaner and to make his arms more proportionate (at least in that picture, it looks like he has massive biceps and shoulders but rather short arms and small hands).

Honestly, I'd like a Gollum-Venom (LOL) but with more musculature. I dunno, maybe it's because I have an extreme dislike for my own hands (I have rather stubby fingers and I really want someone to develop some form of plastic surgery to make them longer).

badsymbiote
Damn right. You can't help but like it when you start to read the books. Not my fave at first, but I find the new version straight sexy now. But the many versions of the character is one of the things I find most appealing. I've never seen a character drawn with so many variations from artist to artist--all the different takes and slants really helps keep him from gettin' to stale.

Stealth Agent
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING!!

I've personally havn't read more then a few comics, I've watched the T.V. show but WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING

it looks like a piece of shit with a head attached.

I think the pictures of venom showed with hulk he looked a bit to skinny I like this look

Koto K
Ugh, I can't stand that grotesquely huge disproportioned Venom with the Spider symbol that actually looks like an attachment, as opposed to part of the symbiote itself. This may sound like total blasphemy on my part, but quite frankly, the Venom series was a slap in the face. It was horribly scripted, and the vertigo-inducing art didn't help it. I only bought like four issues, and they all left me slapping my head and saying "Sweet Zombie Jesus man!" I miss Mark Bagley. If there was one man who really knew how to draw Venom, it was him.

badsymbiote
Those wouldn't happen to be any of the first two arcs, would they? You shouldn't have stopped reading it. You don't even know what you're missing. I almost gave up on #10--it was irritating me 'cuz it just seemes to go in circles, and I knew it tied into SSM #s 1-5, but I couldn't see how, and I couldn't figure out why they were trying to keep us off-balance. So, of course you know that the Venom you were reading about was not even the original? Sure, you do. The story was just that bad, right? You hated the nano-spiders, the S.H.I.E.L.D., Nick Fury, FF and Spidey tie-ins? And of course, you had the clones all figured out, so you just never had to read the books, huh? So, maybe you can spare me the trouble of reading the last 2 books, and just tell me how it ends. Does the clone live, does Patricia live, and do the cells of female clones destroy the Venom clone and the "bobs"?

I like Bagley's Venom, too, but this story friggen owns. Seriously. And I have created a couple dozen fans who now feel the same way I do about it. Are we morons, or we're just so easily negotiable, right? Or maybe, just maybe, you gave up on a story because you didn't like the pictures. I was pissed off about the first 10 issues--I thought the series was a wash, and then I said, I'm gonna give it one more chance, but I swaer to God, if there's no Eddie Brock in #11, I'm out. I got my wish, and then I hung in there.

Koto K
Seriously, when I buy comics, I'm normally more interested in the artwork not the story. I could usually care less about the story if the art is good, but unfortunately neither complimented the other at all, so I was pretty quickly disenfranchised. Don't get me wrong, there were some parts I enjoyed-The whole fact that the new Venom was actually a clone, (even though I had figured that much out almost immediately after reading the third or fourth issue). Good concept, I'll give them that much. The execution on the other hand had me scratching my head. I think it's cool that people like the series and all, at the very least it proves to Marvel that the whole Venom franchise is still a money maker. I just felt that the artwork was really misplaced, and I wasn't about to lay down another 4.25 just so I could buy another book with artwork I felt was gut-wrenchingly bad.

venom101
i like the old venom he looks like spiderman on steroids

Sinuar
So in the new series there is no brock? There is just the suit that is running around killing people? Is the suit stronger without Brock or has it bonded to someone else?

Sorry haven't kept up with the new Venom comics just found out about them not to long ago.

badsymbiote
OK, I can respect all that. I also select some books by the art, but I will buy books or series whose art I don't particularly like. In fact, I have many series' whose story I love, but the art is flat, or just plain ugly to me.
I didn't realize that you were Canadian also--and I can't blame you for not wanting to spend more than 4 bucks on a book you don't even enjoy looking at.
And as far as Venom being a money-making machine, I don't know about all that, but I do know that Venom fans tend to be as loyal as any you'll find out there. There aren't too many of us out there (especially women and girls), but our minions are growing rapidly.

Spiderman_RJ
completely agreed , bagley is the man on spiderman comics, along with john romitah and his son john romita jr.
luckly hes the one behind ultimate series, unfortuneltely the changin of editor (again ,i think its the 9th time spidey changes editor in my country) made the comics too expensive to buy

badsymbiote
Really, RJ? How much do you guys pay for comics down there?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.