Advice for Teen Parenting

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MRIVAS
Can anyone out there give some honest good advice on teen parenting, without being stupid? My daughter is 14 and I need some advice on how to let her make her own decisions, without going overboard.

Linkalicious
don't be so strict on her that she'd try hiding things from you because she's too afraid of her punishment.

Make sure you and her both understand that she's going to make mistakes growing up, she's going to make bad decisions, and she's going to lie to you to save her own butt sometimes. We all did it as children, so understanding that is the 1st step to working those sorts of things out.

Just remember, at 14, they're going to want to be independent of you, though they will still be very dependent on you. And that, yelling and punishing them isn't always the best answer...

sniper
first of all, the 2 biggets issues are going to be sex and drugs...
she's at the age(and i high school) where we all start thinking about sex, and where people get into drugs

with sex, talk with her, make sure she knows the risks, but be open. when she has a boyfriend, insist on meeting him, and try to talk openly(but dont scare him wink).

with drugs, if she wants to try them, you cant stop her. tell her that yourself.
tell her that if she is going to try them, you want a family member/ trusted friend there to make sure she dosent get hurt.

that will at least remove the rebellion aspect, and you will be aware, not worrying, if she does try them

Linkalicious
that's probably the most important thing to tell a child about drugs. As a parent, whether you like it or not, they will do what they want in regards to drugs.

Some kids have no desire to try them, others get sucked in right away. If your kid has tried them or does do them....it's best not to just punish them or yell at them because it won't do anything. They'll just try to be more sneaky around you. Tell her you understand that she's experimenting, but that drugs have no real positives in life. Make it so you can talk to her about these sorts of things....

Darinda
well,hi,umm,my mom was 16 when i was born,she did her best for 2 years,and did the best thing she could have done,but i'm sure you are gonna support her?I hope ya do,because i think the best thing you can do is help her out,and as for school,maybe get her into some like night classes,she can take care of her child durring the day,or what ever,and go to school at night,i don't know,i am just thinking of what my mom did not do,or get.

Clovie
14? she's just a kid, don't let her make her own decisions she'll do sth stupid.

sniper
you misunderstood, this thread is advice for the mother of a teenager, not a teenage mother.

Mystifier
I'm 15 and my mom told me a while back about drugs. She told me all the effects and all that. She also brought in some video about people who'd lost everything because of drugs. After watching that she said, 'I've told you all I can, advised you. It's up to you now. You know the risks. I know that if your going to I can't stop you, but I've done my best to show you how bad it is.'

After watching that video I have no intention of ever doing drugs. It was awful how little those people had, and how much they had lost. messed

Clovie
my parents know that i'll do anyway what i want...
so they only gives me advices....happy

Darinda
it is???hmmmm,it says teenage parenting,so i thought it was about a teenage mother roll eyes (sarcastic)

sniper
understandable, it is misleading

Discos
Right, I am 16 years old MALE
and heres what advice I would have wanted 2 years ago....

Sex: Enough is taught at school about that, just warn her not to be stupid and whatnot.

Drugs: drugs are all stupid, make sure she is hanging about with the right crowd and whatnot.

My mum gave me the freedom to drink alcohol when I was 15, but I started when I was 14 9which was too young even for me). Be slack with her.

My friends refer to my mum as "the coolest" because of what she does - she gets me and my friends alcohol and when I get took home by the police she doesnt worry that much due to it being minor things (like being stupid or running through gardens late at night.

Mystifier
Ye, me too... My mom will advice me on whatever but she knows that I'll make up my own mind in the end.

Darinda
my parents set rules for me,cause they don't want me to be like my Biological Mom,but they let me make my own chioces on some things,and i probably will thank them for it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.