What Are You?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
Hey guys, since the DVD release of the first trilogy is right around the corner, I thought I'd conduct a little survey. What I am looking for is your overall feelings and thoughts on the status and content of the trilogy, as well as the changes over the years, by lumping it into 3 categories of describing 'WHAT ARE YOU?

You have 3 choices A, B, or C that best describes Your "true" overall feelings of films 4, 5, and 6. I know a lot of us would agree from each category, but I want you say what of three categories you mostly feel you fall in. So take a crack at it if you don't mind.

WHAT ARE YOU:

A) The Traditionalist: The Holy trilogy should have stayed the same and should never have been touched, even by its own creator. There was no reason for any changes to be made. These movies belong to the fans!

B) The Subtle but Important: More or less likes the special editions, and understands the purpose of the changes. Also, strongly believes only that necesarry changes should be made. Such as enhancing/redoing old special effects: lightsabers, rancor, space battle stuff etc... In addition other things including adding Ian Macdarmid in ESB, and Bail to alderan destruction. Also does not mind new 'minor' scenes inserted into the films. Basically something in the lines of: anything with Emporer on Coruscant.

C) The No Holds Bar New Waver: Total full blown CGI overkill overhaul. Adding just about digital everthing to every shot in the film redoing all of the special effects completely, as well as adding new and more things to the film, as well as changing it. So much so that a large majority of people would define it as above and beyond pointless, but you have such strong feelings you felt it completely necesarry and that it must happen. Such things include: digital ewoks, changing scenes ROTJ ending and OB1/Vader duel, and adding an image Natalie Portman to the'you remember your mother scene'. Also wants large majorities of deleted scenes reinserted back into the films.

Jedi Priestess
B, but mainly cause I have a copy of the Original Trilogy the way it was in theaters. wink

Lyn
B for me too...

Master Revan
B also.

yerssot
between A and B... sure, lightsabre-effects, go ahead and all, but Bail on Alderaan? why? worked before and all
if they are small changes: ok, if not: not at all

§pearhead
a and b as well

As in make necessary changes, but some of the SE wasn't really needed

Mordecai
B.

Ketchup
A.5

Melkórë
A), and B).

CConn882
I'm a B...though on some topics (like CGI Yoda) I can become a C.

c3pobiwan
A, just because of that awful scene where there is a CGI singer is added it totally ruins the entire scene i cringe every time i see it.

Mace Skywalker
C because the new versions were better than the original and the these version will be better than the 97 versions. think of it like this, if you would have seen the 97 verions first you would say those are better. and vice versa.

Cinemaddiction
Not necessarily. If you had seen the 1997 S.E.s, then the 1977 originals, you'd more than likely appreciate the absence of the ridiculous Jah Yowza and Sy Snootles characters, Boba Fett's hitting on Jabba's new dancers, the Jawa falling off of the Ronto, and whatever other geeky CGI was added that honestly added little to nothing to the movie, corrupting it's purity.

Changes that occur in a movie don't always flow with 20 year old material. "Star Wars" was timeless in 1977, but these new add on's just drag it down, but the overall quality of the movie, production wise, and the clean up job, make the SE's much more tolerable.

PVS
i guess A...but not so passionate as other 'A's.
i think some of the changes were ok, but the bad ones made it all
sooooo not worth it in my eyes. i think the films would have been better off if GL had let them be.

Quendiñoldo
Ok, I'm an all out A)/B) guy. Some things should have been changed, others not.

darthbabb
lucas made star wars i follow his desicions he can do what he wants to with the movies.

Jerico
B. Improved special effects and quality without crapshit like Greedo, i don't mind the new Jabba scene, but i dislike the Jabba singing crap.

amity75
I firmly believe that Star Wars is George Lucas's baby so he can therefore tamperfere with the original movies in any way he chooses. For Lucas, Star Wars is not the memory of fantasy and fun that it was for viewers in 1977, but an anguished series of compromises and chest pains. Isn't it natural he would want to change that - to make the films better, by his lights, but also to rewrite in his mind the physically and spiritually painful experience he endured? To keep changing Star Wars is anathema to many fans, but to Lucas it may be the highest form of therapy.

JKozzy
Very nicely put, amity. I'm more a B, but character developing scenes like Greedo being shot shouldn't have been changed. Lightsaber effects were a great idea, just... CGI Yoda would be really f*cked up.

Jerico
Yer, the puppet Yoda is much more bloody convincing that the copmpletly false CGI Yoda, i mean it's actually there! The actors are interacting with a real thing, much better.

kanis
alien I 'd say B) for the reason that i like the changes in the three films but you notice thar some of them are just backgrounds my friend L Ryugen thinks that the anakin scene on return of the jedi is wrong but it looks okay. The thing I thought was wrong is the boxes around the Tie fighters when they were manuvering of flying on certain shots, my favorite scene is the X-wing approach to the death star is amazing.

Red Superfly
I'm a mix of all of them I'm afraid.

They should never change ANY LINES.

They should just leave everything unchanged, except touch up on matt work ala the fantastic work on the rancor scene.

Just touch ups would do.

Lets put this in perspective:

Compare a CGI Jabba that looks new, modern, and out of place, comparred to Lukes lightsaber which STILL looks neglected.

Giving some priority to the scenes that need touching up would be a start. It's all well and good adding in CGI - but when certain scenes (think Death Star battle shots that have still been left neglected, a few explosions and so on) still look out-dated, the inconsistency absolutely tarnishes the whole thing.

All or nothing. You touch up an X-Wing fly-by in CGI - you touch up the whole frikkin battle. You get rid of the blur under the landspeeder, then you better get rid of the composition boxes around the Tie fighters.

The consistency is NOT there.

The Special Editions, to me, are still very much 'work in progress' - and they should have just released the originals on DVDs for now, waited until the SE's were consistent and perfect, and then blow us away with the "alternatives".

But instead the ram the unfinished SE's down our throats and pretend the originals never existed.

J-Unit
B

walkingcarpet
C. I think they should completly overhaul some of the characters in the original trilogy, like Jabba. They should also overhaul the lightsaber duels, make them look as good as they did in epI and epII

Jackie Malfoy
I think I am b it is more like me in some ways more then the other but then again c is also.So I guess I am in the middle of both of them.Dang I can't make up my mind.
I need a smoke and then I will!JK See you around.JM smokin'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.