Magneto vs. Gladiator

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Maelstrom
Is this the final match? I think Gladiator may be the one-ha.

Alpha Centauri
Gladiator.

Because he's more powerful by far.

-AC

chrissyg
ya and alpha boy u really no everything about comics now don't u

who?-kid
Gladiator, as AC said, he's more powerful, and also because I don't like Magneto. But even if I did like him, I would still say Gladiator.

He's, in a way, the Superman of Marvel. Few people like him, but I don't mind him, he has this "You can't touch me !"-aura surrounding him.

norrin radd

Manowar
well he sure knows a shitload more than you!

anyways i think Gladiator would do it

chrissyg
i would rather not no alot about comics its not something to be proud of i just like it enough that im still kool i don't wanna become one of those nerds that walk around at school that talk about them all the time

ragesRemorse
why isnt it somthing to be proud of if you enjoy it? I mean if did know somthing about comics your opinions would be more valid in situations of being on the KMC comic book threads. You are right though some people take comics to far, but that is there hobby, and i would rather talk about comics than the repetive conversations that ensue at a day of school. there is alot ot be learned from superheros, it can expand your mind. Just because you talk alot about comics doesnt mean your a nerd, it means you enjoy somthing enough to be loyal to it, i mean do you call rap fans nerd because they only talk about rap 24/7 ?

Linkalicious
really depends on where the fight is going on...

Magneto would probably lose regardless...but he'd stand a much better chance against Gladiator if there was a lot of metal around for Mag's to control.

moshtitan
i dont think magneto could move fast enought to defend himself against gladiators attacks.

norrin radd
magneto can create force fields.

Jason Wyngarde
he has force fields to stop attacks. he could control the blood in his body.

manjaro
gladiator by far. I dont even have to get scientific

Beyonder
Gladiator would eventually pummel Magneto.

Arachnoidfreak
This would draw out for a while, Magneto isn't going down without a fight, but as much as I love Magneto, and hate Gladiator, Gladitor would win 7 out of 10.

Alpha Centauri
"ya and alpha boy u really no everything about comics now don't u"

He only said this coz he can't spell "Centauri" despite the fact that it's in my name.

"that im still kool i don't wanna become one of those nerds that walk around at school that talk about them all the time"

Funny that seeing as you became a member of a comics forum to ask about their powers and abilities.

Even funnier that amongst so-called "nerds", you're the nerdiest there is.

-AC

Jason Wyngarde
yes chrissy is the nerdiest

Maelstrom
Marvel comics has taught me more lessons about friendship and positive things in life than most adults of this world ever exhibit. They also use historical icons such as Socrates and others to promote stimulated thought and suggest that you never accept enough of yourself. All that is constantly packed into their books plus the running storyline and art show and individual character development. Theyre making a run to be as big as Disney only they're doing it better.
I think its good to remember that marvel hasn't forgotten that their fans were and are children and we should all make an effort to be nice to the younger fans. If we have something they want, the comic experience, lets try to be adults about it and share it. Everyone gets snappy when stung, the rest of us don't need to exacerbate the feeling. Anyhow thats has always been my position, this should be enjoyed by all.

Maelstrom
i know i'd love to see it. Magneto cuts loose with magnetic photons that could plug a black hole. Mabey i was wrong that does sound powerfull. And with his shield he may be able to withstand the blows as if they weren't even there.

FeceMan
I think chrissyg is a female. And she sucks as an individual.

EDIT: Lol, I was thinking Cardiac for Gladiator. laughing Thus, I was surprised that you all thought Magneto would get his ass whomped.

Mane
well it would be a long and drawn-out fight but Gladiator would definitely come out on top

FrothByte
no, magneto couldn't control gladiator's blood... he can control the iron in the blood... that is, assuming gladiator is made up of the same chemicals as humans. gladiator still whomps magneto's ass. and btw, all you guys might wanna take it easy on crissyg. who do you guys think you f*cking are to speak like that?! this is a comic book discussion not a comic book quiz bee.

muffin man
MAGNETO

SarKastic_OJ
Well, from my perspective I feel Gladiator would win as well, all reason and logic seem to coincide with the caped alien BUT reason and logicality would do the same for a battle with the hulk and Glad and look what happened...

Glad "would" win according to comparison upon powers and versatality alone BUT Magneto's a Marvel legend and remember that Glad is a mocked character, so in a nutshell Magneto is most likely to win "if this fight ever happened". Screw circumstances and what "should" happen, Marvel writers are going to find some kind of way for Gladiator to go down..and it would serve as another blow to one Kal-EL in the process.

long pig
so im not the only one who sees gladiator as a mock superman...used to make fun of him...hah...gladiators lame almost as lame as superman.
if magneto hurts his feelings mag would win...

demigawd
Magneto wins without much incident. See Dr. Polaris vs. Superman for details.

The Flash
Gladiator because nobody ****s with the mohawk.

Scoobless
gladiator operates on around a "cosmic" level of power.......... he'd destroy magneto

USAgent
Even though Im a big Imperial Guard fan, and Gladiator is one of my favorite Marvel characters, Im gonna have to go with Magneto.

Gladiator should be portrayed ALOT tougher than he is in the comics, there are too many characters that get the best of him.
I tried to collect as many titles as I can with Imperial guard characters in there, and I can only remember Gladiator winning out in a few of them compared to all of the times I seen him loose.
Of the top of my head I remember him taking out Hyperion (i think he choked him out) and also Wolverine and Beast were on the recieving end of a Gladiator whooping.
But I seen him get beat by- Thunderstrike (while he was Thor),Living Lighting,Cannonball, Cassandra Nova, and He was a down right weak pathetic looser in the Imperial Guard mini series.

So If it were up to actual powers vs powers Id say Glad. If it were up to Marvel writers, definatly Magneto.

Excuse me while I go kick his but now...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/USAgent/4.jpg

SarKastic_OJ
That's exactly (although not verbatum) what I I stated previously.

Sure Gladiator has the "supermanish" edge if your will, the versatility, the logic, the incredible cosmic-like strength etc..etc..BUT remeber Gladiator is Marvel's superman which is equal to the Mortal Kombat crew doing a parody of Ryu or Capcom's mockery of Ryo from Art of Fighting with Dan(any gaming vets?)

So you WILL proceed to see Gladiator pummeled by (lets say) spider-man or Captain America..Screw logic and reasoning, it's all about hurting Superman as much as possible to make him look weak as opposed to Marvel heroes. Don't put your chips on Gladiator, he's a character destined to be outwitted, outmatched and just plain out beaten to a pulp when approaching a hero with some stroke(large fanbase)..

x_danny_x
After agree with you SarkasticOJ and USAgent. He should win against Magneto but seeing as Magneto is a marvel legend and Gladiator is clone copy of Superman who they used to mock, Magneto by the Marvel writers help, will find a way to defeat Gladiator!

Seeing as Cannonball a very week character got the best of him and made him look stupid, a popular character like Magneto would embarrass Gladiator

demigawd
It wouldn't be too much of an embarassment. Dr. Polaris is a lamed down Magneto clone and he WRECKED Superman using all of Magneto's standard tricks. Gladiator is a lamed down Superman clone. If DC believes that a Magneto clone could beat their flagship character, then it's perfectly reasonable that the real deal could be a Superman clone without taking any shots at DC.

Gladiator has bled before, so that means Magneto could screw up his blood. Gladiator has a nervous system, which means Magneto could disrupt it. Gladiator has fairly weak mental defenses, which means Magneto can put him to sleep, cut off Gladtiator's access to his tactile TK, or erase his mind entirely. Or, with his latest upgrade, Magneto could just dump Gladiator into a black hole. Too many options here for Magneto. Gladiator would have to speed blitz Magneto before he gets his shields up to have a chance.

And in the end, Gladiator is just Gladiator.

Beyonder
...yeah, I agree with your illogical statements of this fight. sick

Gladiator isn't a human; how do you know he has iron in his blood? Furthermore, has Magneto ever screwed with a person's blood or nervous system before? ...cause if he hasn't and is attempting to try something new, Gladiator slams into Magnus at a speed faster than light and above Class 100 strength. Magneto would die right away. As for his shield, it isn't going to hold long against someone flying fast than light speed and slamming with the force greater than a Class 100. And before you say Gladiator doesn't do stuff like that, well neither does Magneto. Heck, has he ever done what you said he could? When?

And your example of Superman >= Gladiator getting beaten by Polaris < Magneto isn't a valid argument. This is a straight up fight with no prep. It's not like one side plans things and then they fight.

As for Marvel writting it, like Marvel has anything to do with a forum fight. You think these fights are posted to debate whether a character would win BASED ON Marvel's permission or likely decision of who would win? Please - if that's the case then please find another message board to post on - this isn't about who Marvel would likely allow to win.

CountQuan
Gladiator because Magneto is overrated honestly

demigawd
Good, I'm glad we're in agreement.

Because his blood is red (he's bled before). That means it's oxidized, that means it has iron in it.

Don't read much Magneto, huh? Screwing with the iron in someone's blood is generally attack option #2 after the usual "throw metal at them" technique. It gets more sophisicated after that. It's the pretty normal routine. I'm surprised you're even asking about that.

As for the nervous system trick, Magneto has created a blanket blast when he first manifested his powers with the force of a nuclear weapon and, I quote, "disintegrated anything with a nervous system instantly". DISINTEGRATED.

Additionally, he's affected the same electrical impulses that guide the nervous system in someone's brain to mind control them (Warren's parents) and to erase their minds entirely (Odekirk).

Which he isn't.

*shrug* Magneto has taken worse and held up just fine.

*shrug* Magneto has taken worse and held up just fine.

I quoted examples. You do the same, then we'll talk.

See above.

What kind of one-sided prep did Polaris have in his fight against Superman? It's the exact same comparison because the same tricks and tactics that one applied would be applied to greater effect with the other.

Hey, we agree on something else.

Empath
In our Universe, so much time is spent on observation of the destruction of things, Stars in general, that no time is spent on the observation of the Universes success.
Gladiator is the story of what happens to a large sized star when it finishes off healthy.
Unlike Surfer, Gladiator could punch through Mag. shields with his own strength, plus he has that techo. suit that manages environment: time/space/dimension.
The cool thing bout Gladiator is he can do it all on his own and his suit gives him power beyond the known. Somehow it is able to connect to the user and add its tech to his ability and vise versa.
What other heros in marvel have supersuits

Beyonder
??? Yeah, and you think 'cause it's red and therefore oxidized AS YOU BELIEVE then Magnus can screw Kallark up? Thanos has bleed red blood, you saying Magneto can screw Thanos' blood as well? Or Thor since he's bleed red blood as well? How's about Beta Ray Bill? I guess anyone who's blood is red, Magneto can screw with huh?

Really? Then why didn't he do that with Apocalypse? Maybe his bouts with Thor? I guess he killed Doom with that one didn't he? Thanos, Hulk, Juggernaut, Holocaust, Tyrant, Magus, Adam Warlock, etc. all have a nervous system, I guess they would get their nervous system disintegrated instantly as well if they messed up with Mighty Magnus. laughing

Seriously, Gladiator is cosmic level. Don't compare him a regular human - he's far above that. He didn't become leader of the Shi'Ar empire's top squad for being a weakling. Heck, I have doubts that Magnus can affect Holocaust or Hulk much less cosmic level guys like Kallark. For him to do such a feat, he'd have to exert alot of his powers - it's not just a whim for he and anyone with a nervous system would go down. Furthermore, how do you even know Kallark's nerve system is like ours?

Nice to know he can affect regular joes. Now has he done this to mutants, high level superbeings like Black Bolt or Thing, cosmics like Quasar, Thor, or Hyperion? Just cause he's messed with regular humans, he's still yet to show he can mess with high level superbeings much less Gladiator.

You assume too much.

Worse being what? Don't just say worse. And how many times has Magneto taken a punch from a Class 100 and brushed it off?

Gladiator is above Class 100 and moves faster than light.

*laughs* Worse being what again? Gladiator moves asteroids and smashed a small planet to pieces in three punch.

Yeah, because Polaris didn't know who he was fighting? In a straight up fight, Superman wouldn't get wrecked by Polaris.

...what? That you have no argument? I agree.

Lord S
So what?

You don't think Gladiator can pound through it?

Empath
maggies shields could not long withstand the nigh irrestable force and temp. when Gladiator unlesahes his heat rays

Mainstream
my gut tells me Magnus pulls out a victory on this one.

Empath
maybe, if Magneto can weave a electromagnetc restraint.
then he could try to crack Gladiator open. if he fought him on a supernova where the star is spinning 30 times per sec. perhaps he would have enough power to draw on

Mainstream
indeed...Magneto do at least stand a decent shot.

demigawd
Of course. If he has a mouth, I assume he uses it to talk. If he has arms, I assume he uses it to hold things. If he has eyes, I assume he uses it to see. None of those are illogical just because he's "beyond human". He's humanoid, and all those things are logical assumptions because he's humanoid. Likewise, countless observations have shown that lifeforms with red blood are red because of the presence of iron in them. When it's green or some other color, it's because there's no iron.

I'm not even sure why you're arguing that point...it's quite futile.

Yes

Yes

Now you're getting it!

Well done. You catch on quick.

Someone didn't read Age of Apocalypse. If someone had, someone would know that that's PRECISELY what Magneto did to Apocalypse. And look...Poccy split in half!

He only fought Thor during the silver age. He was depowered at the time because of his age. He didn't develop enough power to do that until his two powerups (Erik the Red and Fatal Attraxctions). The most recent time he fought Thor was along with the Avengers. He grabbed Thor's hammer and hit him over the head with it. Hey, that works too!

They never had an extended battle.

He never fought any of them.

He fought him and left him without a body.

Fought him and absorbed his gamma radiation

Stop doing my work for me and naming all these high level guys Mags owns! :laughs:

hahahahaha...I could play your game and bring up how Gladiator and all his "cosmic level might" got owned by Cannonball of all people. And GAMBIT. GAMBIT knocked him out! Don't talk to me about Gladiator's supposed might when GAMBIT knocks him out.

Never said he was a weakling. Losing to Magneto is an honor.

You must be doing this on purpose...you named two guys Magnus DID affect. Stop playin!

I agree that he'd have to exert himself somewhat to do that. That's probably why he doesn't do it all the time. And he doesn't need to do that all the time, either. Usually, there are lots of other options before that. I mean, why do telekinetics not always just stop their opponent's hearts? Because then the fight would be over and the opponent would be dead. And that wouldn't make for a particularly interesting comic battle, would it?

You're missing the point - what just about all of these people have in common is the fact that they're all made of the same building blocks, and that's why doing the little things are just as effective. At the atomic level, there really IS no difference between the regular Joe and superbeings. And that's where Magneto shines.

And just so we're clear - he has messed with high level superbeings. And Gladiator would hardly be the most powerful opponent he's faced. He took down the Phoenix Entity.

ok. His shield's have taken Thor pounding on it with his hammer, over and over.

Hulk, Colossus, Apocalypse.

Fat lot of good that did him against Cannonball WITH HIS MOST POWERFUL BLOW. :laughs:

And couldn't break through Cannonball's shield....WITH HIS MOST POWERFUL BLOW (Gladiator's quote, not mine).

wtf? How could Polaris NOT know who he was fighting. It's SUPERMAN. hahahha.

Lord S
Colossus is not Class 100.

I find the Magneto fanboyism in this thread to be rather disturbing...

Draco69
He is now. But when Mags defeated Collosus he was not class 100 at that time.

demigawd
What do you mean he's not class 100? He's always been class 100.

Lord S
And what is the source of your information?

Not trying to sound like a smartass, just genuinely curious where you read that Colossus was a Class 100, since he's nowhere to be found on Marvel's "Marvel Universe" section of their website.

Lord S
Class 70, according to Marvel Directory...plus I've never seen him behave like a Class 100. He got pummelled by Gladiator in the "Dark Phoenix" Saga, and did not behave very Class 100ish in "Secret Wars"...as he was down and out for the most part.

demigawd
Actually, marveldirectory say he's class 70. That's a surprise

demigawd
ok, he's class 70. Magneto has still taken shots from people who are clearly in the class 100 category as I named above, as well as nuclear explosions. Either way, he can withstand quite a bit with his forcefield.

Lord S
Except two or three shots from Mjolnir...but I digress... stick out tongue

demigawd
He took a lot of shots from Mjolnir and it never penetrated his forcefield. Thor resorted to absorbing Magneto's EM Power into Mjolnir to neutralize the field. After Magneto's first powerup, that trick never worked again. They never fought after his second powerup.

And don't tell me that Gladiator can hit harder than Thor with Mjolnir. He can't.

Draco69
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe : X-Men 2004. Colossus is class 7 (exceeds 100 tons)

demigawd
Hmm, if the OHMU says exceeds 100 tons, then he's class 100. And there was no source of his powerup, so he's always been class 100. Unless there IS a source for his powerup. Anyone have any info about that?

Draco69
He died and came back stronger. That's Joss Whedon's only explanation.

demigawd
Oh...ok, so the OHMU is updated as of his return?

Draco69
Its those new glossy comics with alot of people on it. It's pretty easy to miss.

And yes it was. A redux one.

Cosmic Cube
According to the Official Marvel Encyclopedia 2004, Colossus is level 6, and cannot exceed 100 tons. Gladiator is still stronger, at level 7, and lifts in excess of 100 tons. We are also overlooking his greater than light speed, "Super breath", and "Heat vision", (what a Superman bite-off.)

Marveldirectory.com is inaccurate, demi. It's a fan-site.

Draco69
I wasn't referring to the marveldirectory I was referring to the "glossy comics" called The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe : X-Men 2004. I am the only one who collects these things?

Draco69
Also this Official Marvel Encyclopedia 2004 (I can't find it; I googled it and I searched for it at B&N so I'm assuming either it doesn't exist or it has a different name) probably refers to the dead Colossus not the new reborn one.

Cosmic Cube
The title isn't "Official Marvel Encyclopedia 2004" It's "The X-Men: Marvel Encyclopedia Volume 2." I was referring to demi's post, not yours. Could you give the issue # that Colossus returns in?

Draco69
That encyclopedia does not include reborn Colossus.

Astonishing X-Men #4. The best series in comics nowadays.

Empath
Gladiator.

Mainstream
It does..because in the Encyclopedia it says he was dead..pre dead Colossus is at about 75 to 80 ton class

demigawd
Too confusing. I give up on the whole Colossus strength thing.

Mainstream
Colossus according to so many people on the forum now can lift about 20 to 25 more tons now than he could before he died...I can't prove or disprove it...but if so many believe he's stronger then I do as well.

demigawd
But is this from observation, or from something Whedon said? If it's from observation, I don't understand how, because Colossus hasn't done much of anything yet since his return, and certainly nothing that makes me think he's stronger than ever. But if it's from a quote in an interview, then cool. I'd just like to know where this belief comes from.

Lord S
He took one or two shots from Mjolnir, weakening his field, and even panicked and said to himself that his forcefield couldn't take much more, then Thor decided not to waste any more hammer strength and just absorbed the field.

Gladiator is on a level probably just shy of Thor, but he can still pack quite an effective punch, and has more than one way to make Maggie cry like a six-year-old girl. But the source of his power is his self-esteem. That's probably why he has suffered humilating losses to less-than-stellar opponents in the past (ie. Cannonball).

Mainstream
Magneto can give as good as he gets. Can he take Gladiator strength..I kinda think he could.

demigawd
Thor was pounding on it for awhile. They cut the scene to show something else, but when they returned, the caption said that Thor had been doing that for some time. And keep in mind, that this is still Magneto BEFORE his two powerups. If old Magneto could take those shots from Thor, young post-FA Magneto could take it without flinching.

He sure does. But Gladiator's punch is slightly weaker than Thor's punch, but Thor packs A LOT more power when he hits with Mjolnir. Old Man Magneto took several shots from Thor WITH Mjolnir. He could definitely take Gladiator's best long enough to mount a counter-offense using any of the techniques I described above.

Gladiator's confidence was just fine when he lost to Gambit (though probably not so afterwards, lol). His confidence only dropped when his "most powerful blow" failed against Cannonball, which allowed Cannonball to knock him out.

So all Mags has to do is make fun of Gladiator's hairdo, then level him.

Lord S
I'm at a loss to figure out which fight you're referring to...I'm talking about JIM #109, where Thor is separated from Mjolnir and reverts back to Donald Blake. Near the end when he gets a hold of the cane, he switches back to Thor and attacks. Magneto is knocked to the ground and Thor begins pounding on him. They didn't cut away to anything, Magneto was down and in shock, the only thing keeping him from certain death was his forcefield, but it was weakening, and he even admitted in his thoughts that he couldn't take much more...but since you're referring to the "new" Magneto, the point is moot.

Surely you jest...if you think you saw Thor's best against "old man Magneto", then you're crazy. Thor has cracked the armour of a Celestial using his hammer...and if he decided to hit Magneto at full force, it would break him in half...young or old, forcefield or no forcefield.

Oh yes, your techniques...where he can control the iron in people's blood...and according to you, he can even best someone like Thanos with this unique ability...which is laughable at best, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

If this technique was so easy and so devastating, then don't you think that he would have used it on the X-Men a long time ago to defeat them? This leads me to believe that it's a tactic that requires quite a bit of exertion and concentration, and it's hard to concentrate when you're up against someone of Gladiator's mettle. Plus, I find it very difficult to believe that Gladiator would succumb to that type of attack without powering his way out, or countering it.

Ok fine, some unexplainable occurrences do happen at Marvel, and these are a couple of examples. Let's say Magneto manages to block a punch from Gladiator...what next? Gladiator has a lot more in his arsenal than just brute strength. He has speed capable of reaching hyperspace, agility, and heat vision. You're telling me Magneto would be able to counter all of that? All while holding his shield up? I've noticed that he's not good at doing two things at once...it should be pretty obvious that holding his forcefield up takes a bit out of him, and I've never seen him go on the offensive, while in defensive mode. Something's gotta give if he's going to attack, and it will be his forcefield. Next task is catching Gladiator...which will not be easy, since he has speed and agility that would rival that of the Silver Surfer (well maybe not that fast). Next step is trying to control the iron in his blood...that is if he hasn't already been knocked on his ass by Kallark for taking so damn long.

Your fanboyism amuses me. As mentioned before, if it were that easy to topple the Praetor of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard, then why hasn't he been able to employ such tactics to triumph over a few mutants in all these years?

Beyonder
eek!

Oh sh!t. Thanos, who's out of Lord Chaos & Master Order's jurisdiction, and who's had a few power ups - one of them being by Mistress Death - is going to get his iron skrewed up by Magneto? laughing You've got to be kinding me. Either you don't know who Thanos is or this is fanboyism in its purest form.

laughing Then why didn't he do that to Thor in their fight?

...that you're a Magneto fanboy? Sure I get IT!

...no, I caught on in like a page or two ago when you said Magneto can screw with Gladiator's blood since it was red therefore has iron. That's when my fanboy alarm went off.

roll eyes (sarcastic) That was because Apocalypse had Celestial parts in him, not to mention the armor. That armor was a part of him. It had nothing do with his blood.

Beyonder
And did Thor lose? Did Magneto pull out his iron screwing powers on Thor? Furthermore, my post earlier was why didn't he pull out his "disintegrate anything with a nervous system instantly" (as you claimed) on Thor?

...they didn't have one 'cause Doom mind controlled him, right? So why didn't Magnus do one of those "disintegrate anything with a nervous system instantly" on Doom? Surely he could screwed with Doom's blood as well. roll eyes (sarcastic)

...he never fought Gladiator either. So if you claim he could just mess with Gladiator's nerve system or his blood, then you're also claiming he could do it to people who have these ananomy - like these guys I've listed earlier.

I know he did. But was it because he screwed with Holocaust's blood or nerve system?

When did this happen? Issues please. And absorbing gamma radiation is different from screwing with Hulk's blood or nerve system.

And Gladiator doesn't have gamma radiation to absorb.

laughing The question wasn't whether he could beat them. It was "so you're saying Magneto can disintegrate guys like Holocaust & Hulk's nervous system or screw with their blood?" That was the question. Read next time please.

You've yet to prove he's pulled these techniques on super beings. Therefore, how can you say he can do these things to Gladiator?

Beyonder
Oh, how you distort events. Cannonball was getting his butt kicked through most of the fight and was being toyed with. Gladiator wasn't even there to kill Cannonball. And before he blocked Gladiator's punch, he was flinching in fear. All he did was surprise Kallark and landed his strongest punch. Gladiator is sent flying into a building. Then when Cannonball and the X-Men arrived, Gladiator easily busted out from the debris in perfect condition. He even called Cannonball a kid and didn't allow him to fellow the X-Men on their mission.

How does Cannonball getting his butt whoop like a little wuss, then surprising Gladiator with one move, and landing his best shot at Gladiator and sending Glads flying into a construction site only to have Kallark come out with no damage an owning for Cannonball? It only stopped when the X-Men arrived; otherwise if it'd continue, Gladiator would've beaten Cannonball's face in.

As for the Gambit bit, then let's play this game. Cause Wolverine beat Magneto as well did he not? Wolverine, the runt, punking Magneto.

Did effect? So which technique did he use on each? The iron blood or the nervous system one?

So you're saying he can affect Silver Surfer, Morg, Tyrant, Thanos, Magus, Adam Warlock, and other cosmic levels so long as they have the same building block? stick out tongueuke:

So your saying he beat the Phoenix Entity? The Phoenix host and entity are two different beings. And affecting one that's developing her powers isn't the same as someone with experience of their powers.

Beyonder
...with his shield smashed? Of course he can do it with his shields operable.

You really think that was his most powerful blow? His most powerful blows broke a planet to pieces. If he was using his most powerful blow, then his intention would be to murder Cannonball if it connected. Did you read the book demigawd or just looked at the pictures? He wasn't there to kill Cannonball. He was their to find the X-Men and send them on a mission. Even throughout the fight, he was toying with Cannonball. You think all of a sudden he was going to kill a member of the X-Men just like that? And then what:

Wolverine: Hey Praetor, what're you doing on Earth?
Gladiator: I've come here on a mission to find the X-Men as her royalness Lilandra commanded.
Magneto: Okay, so what does she want?
Gladiator: To send you on an important mission on behalf of the Shi'Ar.
Rogue: Sure, sugah. We'll help Lilandra.
*as the X-Men prepare to be teleported*
Gladiator: Oh by the way, I intentionally killed one of your X-Men.
Wolverine: Which one bub?
Gladiator: Cannonball.
Wolverine: Hmm, no biggy. He wasn't very important anyways...or one of the more popular members.

Yeah, I guess that's how the X-Men would probably react after finding out the Gladiator intentionally killed one of their members. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yeah, 'cause Magneto knows all about Gladiator. And therefore would kick his butt with the iron blood or nervous system technique.

demigawd
Using that logic, he could crack anyone in half with one blow. Hulk, Juggernaut, anyone. But he doesn't. None of them are more durable than a Celestial's armor. Whether he holds back his full force or not is moot - Magneto took multiple shots with his shield and it never cracked. We don't know how many more shots he could actually take.

Besides, this is still the pre-powerup Magneto anyway. However many shots he took before, he could take more now. From Thor, Gladiator, Hulk, anybody.

I didn't say he could beat Thanos. The thing about REAL cosmic level people is that they have regenerative abilities and bodies made entirely out of energy. They control energy on a greater scale than Magneto. So anything that Magneto could do to Thanos, Thanos could undo and do to Magneto for an even greater effect.

Gladiator is not such a person.

I suppose he didn't for the same reason Thor doesn't run around cracking people in half with Celestial-armor breaking hammer blows. laughing No dramatic tension.

Gladiator has no atomic or subatomic control over his body. He CAN'T resist it because it functions at a smaller scale than Gladiator has control over. That's why it's effective, the same way it was effective against Superman. And it's not a tactic that requires "quite a bit of exertion and conentration". Magneto was able to simultaneously block telepathy over a wide region, take control over the blood of ALL the X-men, ALL of X-force and ALL of X-factor at the same time, and keep Avalon (Ship) in near earth orbit. And showed no strain in doing so. If he can do all that, the idea that he couldn't do it to Gladiator without a lot of mental strain is laughable.

Magneto goes on the offensive and controls the iron in Glad's blood and knocks him out.

Great, so he can run away that much faster...

heat vision would be a BIG mistake against Magneto. He can deflect it and hit Gladiator with his own heat vision. Magneto can deflect any elemental energy, such as the kind that produces heat, such as Gambit's cards. He can only block concussive energy, such as Cyclop's blast.

I guess he couldn't counter Gladiator using his hyperspace speed to run away. But the rest, sure.

Holding his shield up is basic. In fact, he has two shields. One is his personal magnetic shield, which is ALWAYS up, and allows him to take hits from C100 foes. The other is his conscious forcefield, which repels objects. Neither of them take any effort on his part.

Then you don't read much Magneto. But the example I named above is during the opening chapter of Fatal Attractions is a perfect example of him doing MANY things at once.

That speed and agility doesn't mean much, because the nature of Magneto's power is environmental in scale. It's not like Magneto is going to try to PUNCH Gladiator or do anything that requires aiming. Gladiator would have to remove himself from the battlefield entirely to be outside of Magneto's range.

That's generally option #2 for Magneto, it wouldn't take very long for him to get there. And given that he knows all about Gladiator by now, he'd probably make it option #1.

1) Because he's the villain.That's like saying, "If Doom is so smart, why can't he beat the Fantastic Four"? Or "If Gladiator is so powerful, why can't he beat Gambit"?

2)Because he, at heart, bears no ill will to the X-men. He's had them dead to rights MANY, MANY times, and instead, spent all his time trying to convince them to join his cause. If he were actually ruthless and uncaring, he would have killed them lots and lots of times. Direct quote, "I see you're using metal to knock Beast out instead of punching a hole right through him. Since you're playing nice, I'll just charge these cards enough not to kill". That's been his MO from the beginning.

demigawd
You've missed my point (again). I said that Magneto could affect the iron in Thanos' blood the way he could anyone else with iron in his blood. I didn't say that means Magneto could beat Thanos. The difference between Thanos and Gladiator is that Thanos has cosmic power that gives him subatomic control to resist the microtechniques Magneto would use against him. So while he'd be affected by Magneto's technique, he could counter it just as easily. Not so for Gladiator.

Pre-powerup Magneto. He couldn't do it at the time. In the rematch, after one powerup, Magneto beat Thor over the head with his own hammer. AND the rest of the Avengers. That works too.

And when you argued the point that was when my "didn't pay attention in biology class" alarm went off.

Untrue - Apocalypse has no metal in him. That's his body that he shapes to any form that he wants. He just shapes it to a uniform. Magneto overrided Poccy's molecular control over his own body and split him apart.

God...how many posts did you make in a row? *sigh* Next...

demigawd
roll eyes (sarcastic) The fight with Thor was pre-powerup, man. Besides, LOTS of characters have instant death techniques. Why doesn't Nightcrawler teleport people's heads off? Why doesn't Vision phase people's brains out? Why doesn't Apocalypse telekinetically stop everybody's hearts? Why doesn't Thor godblast everybody? You do what you think is necessary.

1) Doom released naniites or somesuch in the air that mind-controlled EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD. And being mind-controlled, it's not like Magneto had very many options. roll eyes (sarcastic)

2)When he WAS released from Doom's mind control, he used his control over electrical impulses (like those present in a nervous system) and blood flow to the brain to release Beast from Doom's mind control, and then went on to beat Doom and his forces.

Sure, as long as they have that kind of nervous system. Gladiator does. Surfer and other energy beings do not. But like I said before, you're missing the point. Being able to affect them like that and being able to beat them are two different things. Cosmic beings with matter manipulation abilities or regenerative abilities could counter those techniques. But because Gladiator has no such abilities, he's SOL.

Never said, but it left him without a body. Either way, it's proof that he can affect Holocaust, despite your claims that he can't.

Some issue of Defenders. It was posted on another thread. Yes, absorbing gamma radiation IS different from screwing with Hulk's blood or nervous system. Like I said, you use what works. When you have the options Magneto has at his disposal, why stick with one thing?

Maybe that was how he beat Holocaust, again it never said. But either way, Magneto hasn't had to do that to them to beat them. He's resourceful.

What's a super-being? He's done it to the Avengers, he's done it to the X-men, he's done it to X-factor, to X-force. He's done it to the Phoenix entity. He's done it to Apocalypse. These are all superbeings, including members with superstrength. You're trying to put Gladiator in another category. He's not. Gladiator has more in common with Colossus than with Silver Surfer.

laydiiplayette
wow, dat was a long entry.

Lord S
Yes, technically he can.

No, he doesn't. We're talking hypotheticals here. You're the one who claimed that Magneto, while behind his forcefield, wouldn't flinch, and I showed you an example of how he would MORE than flinch. He would be eradicated.

Mags said himself, in his thoughts, that one or two more of those blows would probably destroy his forcefield.

Fair enough, but not if Thor hit him as hard as he hit that Celestial. If Magneto were attempting to throw the Earth's axis off kilter, you can bet that Thor would hit him, and hit him hard.

Your tone implied otherwise, but whatever.

Again, if the situation ever arose, he wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Well aren't we making a demi-god out of Magneto...that IS laughable!

Let's agree to disagree.

I don't picture Gladiator ever running from someone like Magneto...it defies all logic.

Ok, if he deflects it back, you really believe Glads won't be able to dodge it?

Hasn't Cyclops been able to penetrate his vaunted forcefield?

Where was his personal field when Thor picked him up and tossed him? What about when Wolverine was able to cut him up in "Fatal Attractions"? He was injured before he pretty much ripped Wolvie apart.

You're assuming this battle that would take place on Earth (or any other planet), what about in the cold depths of space?

Gladiator can destroy Gambit quite easily. If what you say about Gambit is true (I think I know which issue you're referring to) then all fault goes to the ignorance and/or ineptitude of the writer.

So him forcefully pulling Wolverine's Adamantium from his body is not a sign of any ill will? I think he has plenty of animosity toward the X-Men, especially Xavier...but he also has respect for them...just like Doom has for Reed and the FF. But eventually a time does come when he wants to triumph, and the X-Men have always been there to stop him, not because he cares about them, but because they know EXACTLY how to stop him.

You should give more credit to the heroes standing up to him, instead of playing the old "he beat himself" card.

Just like you're trying to put Magneto in a category he's not in.

BTW, Gladiator IS in a category with the Silver Surfer...Colossus is a joke compared to Glad...and it's been proven.

CountQuan
Gladiator just because I dont like Magneto

demigawd
HA, talk about distorting events. Cannonball wasn't getting he butt kicked. He countered everything Gladiator had. Gladiator wrapped Cannonball in an iron girder, Cannonball blasted out of it. Gladiator HIT Cannonball with an iron girder (if that's not trying to kill him, I don't know what is), Cannonball only "felt it in his teeth", but was otherwise unhurt. Gladiator stopped Cannonball from propelling, so Cannonball reversed course and sent Gladiator crashing into the ground. So if by "butt kicked" you mean, "Embarassed Gladiator", then yeah, I agree. laughing laughing

Must be why he hit Cannonball with an iron girdle and tried to punch him into the sun. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Because he was about to be punched into the sun before he realized that he could absorb Gladiator's punch, making it ineffective. And that's just what happened. What's your point?

The part you're strategically leaving out, but which I'll be so kind to fill in, is that Gladiator hit Cannonball as hard as he could. It's not speculation, it's not from me looking at the pictures. It was because GLADIATOR HIMSELF said, "Impossible. Th...th...that was my strongest blow". Confidence drops, soon thereafter followed by Gladiator dropping.

Hmm, that's a good point. That wouldn't be an owning for Cannonball. Luckily for Cannonball, that's not at all how it happened. How it actually happened WAS an owning for Cannonball. laughing

Or Cannonball would have continued blocking/absorbing Gladiator's attacks, making Gladiator's attacks less and less effective because his confidence is plummeting.

Clear difference. If Wolverine singularly engaged Magneto and beat him, then you'd be right. Wolverine sneak attacked Magneto during a fight with ALL the X-men. Gambit took out Gladiator one on one. He didn't have any other help at all. Ditto with Cannonball.

I know that. The entity had taken over the host during the fight because Jean panicked. Magneto and the Phoenix fought on completely equal terms until Phoenix ran clear out of power. Does that mean that Magneto beat the same entity that stalemated Galactus? No. Does that mean that he Magneto matched the same person who fought and defeated cosmic entities during her time as host for the Phoenix? YES.

It's psionic power - the same psionic power she's been wielding her entire life. She didn't lose because she was inexperienced. She lost because she tried to draw on more power and there wasn't anymore, causing her to exaust herself.

demigawd
Ugh...almost done...I'm not doing this again...

yes, with his shield smashed. That's why I didn't name Thor. Magneto's armor is a metal mesh that he holds together with enough density to make it nearly as tough as Adamantium, and designed to absorb the impact of almost any blow. He also has a natural magnetic shield that he can't turn off. That's what enables him to take those shots, despite being a human.

Gladiator himself seemed to think so.

*ding ding ding* By golly, I think he's got it!

If Gladiator says, "I'm going to punch you into the sun", he's not trying to tickle you into submission...

"It's going to be a lot hotter where you're going...the sun!"
"He means it!"
*later, after some trash talking by Cannonball*
"Impossible. Th...th..that was my most powerful blow!"

Not trying to kill him? I guess he figured Cannonball could survive a punch like that, huh? Or maybe the actual trip to the sun? laughing laughing

That's why I've been saying. Glad to see you finally got it.

I hope you didn't write more...

IRTMU-Dragon
Havent we discussed in other threads the fact Magneto can pretty much defeat anyone if he really wants too?

Lord S
Uh oh, then Galactus had better watch out! laughing laughing

demigawd
Aww man...just when I finished typing all those other replies, here's another one...

ok, and technically Magneto can rip all the blood out of Thor's body. I suppose the reason he didn't is the same reason why Thor didn't hit Magneto with Celestial-destroying power. The writer chose not to.

But he wasn't eradicated. His shield never actually failed. Magneto was worried that it would, but it never actually got to that point. So how many more blows it could take exactly it subject entirely to speculation. The point that I'm making is that if it could withstand several blows from Thor with his hammer, it's not unreasonable to assume that he could withstand at least as many blows from Gladiator's bare hands. And I think you can agree with that.

Perhaps, and if Warrior's Madness Thor were there specifically to kill Magneto, Magneto would pull every instant-death technique in the book. Given that Thor is humanoid and doesn't have matter manipulation abilities or regen to counteract it, there's no reason why it wouldn't work. I think the point we're both making is that in every battle, most superbeings hold back somewhat, for varying reasons. Magneto has said during the Zaladane storyline that if he ever cut loose, he'd damage the entire planet. So he doesn't cut loose, either.

He's been killed before. If being faced with your own death and the destruction of your realm isn't reason enough to cut loose, I don't know what is. Where was his celestial-destroying blow then?

??? He did specifically what I said he did during the Fatal Attractions storyline. *I* didn't write it. So if by "we're making a demi-god out of Magneto" you mean Marvel, then yeah, I agree. Take it up with them.

Gladiator doesn't use his superspeed all the time - otherwise he'd never get hit. Thor doesn't punch at the speed of light, neither does Hulk. It didn't stop either of them from landing a punch on Gladiator. Glad's eyebeams DO travel at the speed of light. So he could most certainly be hit by his own beams, especially if he doesn't see it coming.

No. It's never actually happened. The only times Cyclops has ever hit Magneto was when his forcefield wasn't up.

Your follow up question should probably be, "Well, why doesn't Magneto have his field up all the time?". Because he'd be unbeatable, I guess. That's comicbook logic. If villains did all they could do all the time, they'd never lose.

Thor absorbed it. Two powerups ago.

He was being psychically attacked at the same time by the combined power of Xavier and Jean. Being mentally assaulted by the two most powerful telepaths in the world can have a negative effect on your concentration. Speaking of which, he sure did better against Xavier and Jean than Gladiator did against Cassandra's mental assault.

"Asteroid, meet Gladiator. Gladiator, asteroid."

Magneto is affect Gladiator's person directly - it doesn't matter where the fight takes place.

Either way, it's canon and loss for Gladiator. I could blame bad writing on every showing I don't like. I'm not saying that Gladiator couldn't win a rematch, but whatever is endurance is, it was pushed beyond that limit by Gambit with a deck of cards.

He did so because Wolverine tried to kill him. Even in that case, he was holding back. Remember the quote, "Still holding back, Mags? BIG MISTAKE". So your own example proves my point.

They've rarely, if ever won in direct combat. It's usually been situations like, "Kitty messes up electronics, Magneto stops the fight and goes after her, then his plans are ruined and he leaves", or Xavier bails them out with some mental deus ex machina, like he sits back and joins powers with Jean to mentally assault Magneto which distracts him just long enough to get nailed. Magneto is vulnerable to mental attack, I admit. But Gladiator doesn't have any mental powers, so it's a moot point.

Actually, it hasn't. The two of them fought a tightly contested battle that Colossus ended up losing. But he showed that he belonged on the same battlefield as Gladiator. He has more in common with Colossus because they're both bricks, beings whose sole means of offense is generated by their strength. Surfer is on another level because of the sheet breadth of power he has. Magneto couldn't stand up to that. But he can certainly stand up to any brick.

My hands are gonna fall off now....

demigawd
After Galactus' showing against Quasar, maybe he should watch out, lol.

Lord S
Nice propaganda you're trying to spread with Gladiator and Gambit...I read the issue last night...(UXM275 I believe), and I didn't see Glads lose...not even close He was being mentally controlled by the bogus Xavier, and at the same time was busy tearing Deathbird apart (literally) and Gambit intervened by tossing three cards in his direction, and he absorbed them quite easily. Next scene you see Deathbird try to gouge his eyes or something, and Gambit comes from behind and kicks him in the shin (more like right behind the knee) causes him to drop a bit. Then he grabs Jubilee and slams her into Gambit, and picks up deathbird in a Gorilla press and slams her into both of them.

Yeah, Gambit sure beat Gladiator. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'll retort the rest of your misguided illinformed crap a little later.

demigawd
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Talk about PROPAGANDA!
If you call THIS "absorbing them quite easily", then YEAH, I AGREE:

http://homepage.mac.com/jubei1/manga/gambit5.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm *eagerly* awaiting your retort of the rest of my misguided illinformed crap....

Mainstream
Gambit really gave it to Glady just then...koooooooool

demigawd
Furthermore, it's UXM #276 (if you actually read it last night, you wouldn't have said, "UXM 275, I believe"wink, which I read JUST NOW, Gambit and Jubilee crashes in on Xavier and Gladiator, who is torturing Deathbird. Xavier takes out Jubilee easily, but can't control Gambit's mind because "his thoughts are like quicksilver". Gambit throws cards at Xavier, and Gladiator blocks it and DOES absorb it quite easily. Gambit takes note of this and continues the battle. Deathbird attacks Xavier, then Gladiator attacks Deathbird. Gambit comes inbetween them and rips off Gladiator's cape and throws it over Xavier's head, thinking a telepath can't control what he can't see (he was wrong). Gladiator knocks out Deathbird and throws her at Gambit and Jubilee, but they both DODGE her. It causes a wall to come down, Gambit and Jubilee escape and find Lila Cheney, which makes Dick very happy. then a bunch of Shi'ar troops come and start shooting at Gambit, who blocks them all (uber!) . Deathbird recovers and orders Lila to teleport them away leaving Gambit and Jubilee (who are pissed they were abandoned) to fight the troops AND Gladiator, who has finished tending to Xavier's wounds, on their own.

Gambit tells Jubilee to side a wide area dispursement of her fireworks to take care of the troops. Gladiator attacks Gambit, who remembers how Gladiator easily took a few cards earlier, and then proceeds to hit Gladiator with the WHOLE DECK (see image above), KNOCKING HIM THE F**K OUT. This alerts the rest of the X-men that something strange is going on, and the rest of them eventually arrive at the palace where a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with our debate takes place.

Gorilla press that slams her into both of them my ass...

Lord S
embarrasment

So I didn't bother to read the rest of the issue last night...my bad...I read it a long time ago, and stashed it away. I thought it was Uncanny 275, cause I have it as part of a trade...it was 276, again, my bad. Also, excuse my earlier abrasive tone...I was a little overexcited with my new found "evidence", but when I go home I will certainly re-examine that issue.

That doesn't suddenly make you right about Gladiator...you seem to think he's some pathetic weakling, but you're wrong. He has earned the respect of a lot of super-beings in the MU, including the Silver Surfer, and even recently, Thanos. Do either of them even know who Magneto is?

dael fishd evil
haha, he got moded.

Superman XX5
Magneto

Vs

Gladiator

Who wins?

vansonbee
I believe Gladiator beat Magneto.
Unlike the Hulk vs Magneto, Gladiator is able to fly & at high speed.

Magneto shield isn't unstoppable, Glad broken planets with his punches, and is durable enough to take metal rods up his ass.

Enyalus
Dude. no expression Kallark won't be taking anything up the ass. He wins 10/10.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by vansonbee
Glad broken planets with his punches, and is durable enough to take metal rods up his ass.

I wonder how he found that out.

Zack Fair
*Images of Mr. PIMP mohawk enjoyings rods up his ass flood mind*

GAH! DAMN YOU!

vansonbee
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
I wonder how he found that out. What are you trying to say? durblink

Wei Phoenix
I'm just saying V. You were the first one along with him to find out how durable he truly was.

DeathKap
Gladiator ftw.

vansonbee
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
I'm just saying V. You were the first one along with him to find out how durable he truly was. I can't remember that thread, but I seem Gladiator took on many superman clones & Tyrant to put him on top of my list.

Keep getting flashbacks of Exile Silver Surfer cutting him in half... aweshock

Ah ok, I understand smile Metal Rod = Penis ?

Enyalus
I can't remember that thread, but I seem Gladiator took on many superman clones & Tyrant to put him on top of my list.

Yeah, he's beaten Hyperion, a Superman clone. And had, basically, a draw against Supreme, a Silver Age Superman clone according to Alan Moore.

Keep getting flashbacks of Exile Silver Surfer cutting him in half... aweshock

Pfft. Alternate universe, not canon!!

Avlon
Glads stomps.

guy222
Gladiator

Harbinger
Magnus dies.

spidey-dude
this is spite big time

Endless Mike
Glads

Eel O'Brien
Maybe Glads' blood is really high in iron?

nah... Kallark stomps.

The Nuul
Fight in NYC.

Mags in his prime.

Who wins?

King Castle
depends if we use gladz high showing..

gladz is pretty blood lusted if magz lowers his guard at the slightest he get ripped in half..

Magz shield should by him the precious moments to mind f#%$ gladz.. lock unto his iron in his brain.

carver9
When has it been stated that glads has iron in his blood? He doesn't eat.

King Castle
thats a fallacious argument

Nihilist
Mags.

Warlord
glads

quanchi112
Glads wins.

Lord_Dagoth
Gladiator.

MONSTAR
Gladiator who can by on-panel showing wins by blitzing around light speed.

tideoftime
Gladiator takes the majority. Mags can get a couple wins via being very clever and playing heavy defensive/evasion, until he can finesse something. But generally, Glads wins.

Prep-Man
Gladiator 6/10.

Rhiaggo
With Glades speed and strength he takes it easily.

BattleMage
C'mon Son! Gladiator ftw

celeyhyga17
Gladiator for the majority.

Badabing
The amount of hypocrisy by some posters is staggering. facepalm

The Nuul
lol

Xplosive
If Gladiator comes seriously, he demolishes him.

The Nuul
Bump.

smile

Badabing
Where's Carver? sneer

durbeware

Oh, and merged.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Badabing
Where's Carver? sneer

durbeware

Oh, and merged. bait bump and you know it

Badabing
Originally posted by chomperx9
bait bump and you know it I'll have you know that it was official mod business when I merged the 3 threads and announced the merging! sneer

innuendur

illadelph12
Lol

Gladiator's powers work differently.

quanchi112
Originally posted by chomperx9
bait bump and you know it LOL at bait bump.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Avlon
Glads stomps. well he said it

Badabing
Originally posted by quanchi112
LOL at bait bump. How would you like my e-fist in your e-face?

And give BBZ power to be your KMC boss? sneer

stick out tongue

Black bolt z
Glads wins.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.