What Could Have Been ...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ahnold
Hi all,

I've designed this thread so that people can chip in with interesting ideas that were ultimately dropped from Bond films.

E.g. Did you know that an original draft of AVTOK had zorin manipulating the trajectory of Haley's comet?

And did you know that originally DAF was to feature Gert Frobe as Goldfinger's brother? His first line was to have been: "I think you knew my brother Auric. Mother always said he was a bit retarded"

Weird huh?

Ahnold

yerssot
you sure about that last phrase? blink

Ahnold
Amusingly, yes...

yerssot
weird sounds more suited blink

Ahnold
Well I said weird in my first post...

Um, anyway, have you got any interesting trivia to share with us, o great yerssot?

yerssot
oh perfect ahnold... interesting trivia is also posted in the Bond FunFacts stick out tongue

Ahnold
Hmmm... perfect. I like that big grin

Hem hem. Sorry. Zoned out there for a bit. Ego trip over.

But The FunFacts thread can refer a lot of things, yerssot. Would you care to make a specific contribution to THIS thread?

yerssot
I know of a deleted scene in Dr No where Honey Rider got attacked by crabs messed

Ahnold
Sammy Davis Jr. appeared as himself in DAF, but his scenes were cut...

yerssot
Felix has been played by many different actors but only one did him twice

Ahnold
I am somewhat surprised by the inconsistensy in Felix. E.g. in one incarnation {in "Goldfinger"} he was played by an old man. In another, strangely enough, he was even played by an African-American. It's just weird.

Anyway, does anyone have some thoughts on what COULD have been?

yerssot
it supports the theory that Felix is a codename for the agent that keeps contact with Mi6...

and could? they could have kept the story in that Goldfinger is related to SPECTRE (apperently you see in one shot his spectre-ring), guess that got kicked too

Evy_O
what's the difference of this thread and the Funfacts one?

yerssot
this is more of what could have happened... I think

Ahnold
That's correct. E.g. Please include concepts that were scrapped, ideas that were dropped, scenes that were cut, that sort of thing...

yerssot
oooh, I know one... they weren't having Q in FRWL, cause they didn't feel it needed

Ahnold
Erm... Q WAS in FRWL. Don't you mean LALD?

Tsk tsk... you're slipping, my boy...

yerssot
I ment as in the idea to cut him out stick out tongue

Ahnold
Sure, sure...

yerssot
don't believe me sad

what about writers including in the first draft of OHMSS a reason to why bond looks differently?

Ahnold
Aw, sorry yerssot. I believe you.

And yeah, plastic surgery. Glad that was dropped...

yerssot
I'm not, would be fun if they included it

Ahnold
But that would mean that he'd have to have had surgery a further 3 times!

yerssot
I'm not sure surgery can create something that ugly

Ahnold
Are you referring to Moore, Dalton, or Brosnan?

Ahnold
Or Lazenby, in fact? Ironic that you say that since he was chosen partly for being a former model...

yerssot
Lazenby...yeah, wasn't he a swimsuit model or something messed

The Redeemer
There's a deleted scene in DAF where Plenty sneaks back into Bond's room while himself and Tiffany are getting it on and steals some info that leads to the house where she ends up eventually drowned in the swimming pool...

yerssot
they should have kept that one in

The Redeemer
Yeah, it ties up nicely how Plenty ended up at the house in the first place and, more cruelly ironic, one swimming pool saved her life and another one took it... sad

yerssot
I... never thought of that blink

but that's the problem with cut scenes... out cause of time and some were too great to delete sad

Ahnold
As it is, you think: "How the hell does Plenty know who Tiffany is, where she lives, and why is she dead in her swimming pool"? Until I found out about the deleted scenes a while back, this always confused me...

yerssot
I thought she just followed the girl :messed

Ahnold
Fair enough... but the reason why she was sunk to the bottom of the pool? Unless you knew that there was a deleted scene showing Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd finding Plenty, mistaking her for Tiffany, and drowning her, her death makes nada sense...

yerssot
well, she was a bondgirl, so they needed to get rid of her in time messed

Ahnold
Well yeah, but from a storytelling point of view it doesn't make sense...

Let's move on to something else, eh?

Ahnold
Blofeld was to originally have been playecd by a Czech actor in "you only live twice", Jan Weirich, but he fell ill a few days into shooting, and so he was recast...

yerssot
and recast in the multiple movies afterwards... something seriously wrong with that idea

Ahnold
Who had the bright idea to say, "Let's get rid of that cool, hard-edged Savalas guy and hire an English cross-dresser"?!

yerssot
it gives the idea that Bond is indeed gay, doesn't it stick out tongue wink

Ahnold
I'll assume that was a joke at Lazenby's expense. Oh yerss, why do you dislike him so?

yerssot
he's a terribly bond; what more can I say stick out tongue

Ahnold
I don't think that's entirely fair. James Bond as a character is just, well, different, in OHMSS. Lazenby was at least more believable than Moore, if a lot less fun...

yerssot
he looks ugly, he acts terrible and OHMSS is terrible ... though the point of bond being married once is great

Ahnold
I don't agree with you about his acting, but I too am always left quite cold by OHMSS. I can't quite put my finger on it...

Ahnold
Anyway, back to the topic. Did you know that Major Amasova from TSWLM was originally going to cameo in Moonraker, so impressed were the producers by her performance...

Wonder why that never materialised...

Reborn Again
LMFAO ROTF You seriously think that, Ahnold? You have a serious screw loose, bro. Lazenby was a terrible Bond. Bond is English, Lazenby is Australian. Whoever choose him had problems. This is why, despite the movie having a good plot with Blofeld as the main foe, is the one of the worse Bond films in history IMO. A total miscast with Lazenby.

yerssot
that girl playing melina in FYEO was asked earlier too but she couldn't cause of another movie

(and I agree with RA... terrible and not the same style as Sean)

Ahnold
Look... I don't think it's fair to say I have a "screw loose". I'm perfectly entitled to have an opinion that differs from yours. I happen to think Lazeny was a good bond. If you don't, fine. But c'mon - do you really believe Roger Moore and his eyebrow were more believable as the James Bond of the novels?

Oh, and I realise that Lazenby was australian. But Connery was scottish {which is how he played Bond, as in every single movie he's even been in. I laughed so much in "The Hunt For Red October: "To victory, comradeshhh..."}

yerssot
Moore was better than Lazenby imo messed

Ahnold
I agree with you. I much prefer Moore. BUT - I still think he was less believable as the Bond from the novels...

Reborn Again
Bond isn't as serious as you may think. He has a humorous side. Moore filled that void where Sean couldn't. I still say that Sean was the better Bond. He's #1, Moore #2, Bronsan #3, Dalton #4...etc.

yerssot
and imo, Moore totally overdid the humor side of it

The Redeemer
The usual OHMSS bashing I see...thankfully I don't run with the herd. Eventually, when some loser with the ability to put together more than three words together in a sentance and writes for some *popular* 'zine read by spotty faced fanboys starts to ring it's praises, it'll be *Duh...oh yeah...I love that one too...*

yerssot
hey! I get well payed mister stick out tongue

you're right, lets get back ontopic sad

Ahnold
To be honest, though, Moore was smart enough to realise how ridiculous some of his films were. I mean, gondolas that turn into hovercrafts? Pigeons doing double takes? Tarzan yells? It's just a bit much...

Anyway, back on topic. Did you know that one of Hector Gonzalas' entourage of women in for your eyes only was born Barry, a man?

yerssot
then how come LALD isn't like that? stick out tongue

I believe that was an urban legend, I'll look it up big grin

yerssot
yeah, it's true, always thought it was a myth

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/bondgirl.php

Ahnold
It's absolutely true, yeah. Most people think it's a myth as they don't realise what an insignificant part "barry" plays in the film...

Ahnold
Hmmm... I've unknowingly deviated from the purpose of this thread. To get back on track: Did you know that an original draft of TSWLM featured the villains offing SPECTRE and Blofeld at the start?

yerssot
they cancelled a scene where they explained how bond changed appearance to Dalton too... it's a trend blink

The Redeemer
I heard about THAT one...one of Gonzalz' gals was once a bloke...it may have been newsworthy in eighty-one but today... roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
I don't think it was that known in 81

The Redeemer
I said NEWSWORTHY not known...ladyboys are ten a penny in Singapore these days...so I heard... embarrasment

Ahnold
Riiiiigggght... if we can please get back on topic...

The Redeemer
Moore was alright in LALD and TMWTGG...after that the clunkiness set in...amazing what three years can do...eh?

Ahnold
I agree. But if we can get back on topic, please...

Hmmm... ah I've got one. Did you know that originally Tracy Bond was to have been killed at the beginning of DAF, but OHMSS director Peter Hunt wanted closure...

The Redeemer
That would have set up the tone of DAF with an even more vicious edge, would'nt it? As it is DAF pushes the boundaries for a PG...homosexual villains...a fight scene that's always cut out of English TV prints...Bond getting a right kick in the balls...a bad guy graphically going up in flames...a camp, bewigged villain...

Ahnold
Bond didn't really seem all that upset with Blofeld in DAF did he? Bizarre, considering he killed his wife...

The Redeemer
Well...he topped him at the start - *Welcome to hell, Blofeld* - after kicking the crap out of worldwide bad guys and nearly strangling poor ol' Marie with her own bikini top...so 'tis no wonder he was a bit bemused later on when he ran into TWO of them and their pussies...

*Right idea, Mr Bond*
*But wrong Pussshhhy...*

Ahnold
laughing That's not a bad impression! Still, bemusement aside, the conversation he has with the two Blofelds even borders on polite...

The Redeemer
He was sizing them up for the kill...and then Blofeld's pussy let him down...a common occurance when you are confronted with two...

Ahnold
How true. That's always my problem when I confront two copies of my enemies laughing

Well, back on topic: did you know that TND was apparently to be called "Tomorrow never LIES" before, supposedly, the press secretary wrote the name down wrong.

This alternate title makes much more sense {since Elliot Carver's newspaper, Tomorrow, never does lie...}

yerssot
I always wondered what was up with that, thanks big grin

The Redeemer
OLD NEWS.

yerssot
then you post a new one stick out tongue

Ahnold
C'mon The Redeemer! It's not old news to everyone here... I mean, yerssot didn't know it!

Dude, you gotta be a little less harsh on non Bondophiles...

yerssot
I know little, you'll see that

The Redeemer
I thought ol' Y WAS a Bondofile...and would you please take that irritating idiot in a suit out of your sig...he was OK in films but as a politician... sick

Ahnold
Don't sell yourself short...

yerssot
what about Moneypenny and Bond actually having an affair in GE? glad that was dropped wink

Ahnold
Lois Maxwell actually theorised that Bond and Moneypenny really did have an affair prior to Dr. no, but chose not to continue it due to their respective careers...

yerssot
and it should never be used!

The Redeemer
What a shame. Their past relationship would have given their on screen chemistry that bit more history...

Ahnold
In DAD, during that VR sequence at the end, I feared the worst...

yerssot
that or they would try and kill eachother

The Redeemer
Feared the worst??? From the start I'd feared the worst...that it was going to be utter crap...

yerssot
Dr No ?

The Redeemer
Nope...GOLDENEYE. stick out tongue

yerssot
what could have been if TR actually liked the Pierce movies? stick out tongue

The Redeemer
Total disaster.

yerssot
or a good critisism for once

The Redeemer
What you are saying is I agree with you...sorry, old boy, but rubbish like DAD is easy pickings for shredding like two of the three films that preceeded it...

yerssot
do bash DaD... just not Goldeneyewink

The Redeemer
Two of the tree films that preeded it INCLUDES G.... sick

yerssot
preeded?

The Redeemer
I seem to be picking up your habit of mis-spelling... eek!

yerssot
but I have an excusestick out tongue

The Redeemer
What? Your size??? shifty

yerssot
the topic shifty

The Redeemer
Apologies, old MOD...my mind was elsewhere...

yerssot
with jinx?

Ahnold
THE TOPIC, PLEASE!!!

Ahnold
Did you know that, and {I can't stress this enough} I kid you not, a very early draft of Dr. no revealed at the end that the mad scientist was, in fact ... a fiendishly clever monkey...

yerssot
I had that in the funfacts stick out tongue

you topicseeker stick out tongue

Ahnold
Hey! At least I'm trying to stay on topic here!!!

Ahnold
Fine, yerss - you give me an example of what could have been...

Ahnold
But I'll give one more; according to rumour, Sean Connery was asked to play James Bond's father in DAD. Though this was published in a very reputable British film mag {Hotdog}, I doubt it...

It would make little sense, anyway, since 006 reveals in GE that Bond's parents were killed in a climbing accident...

But, then again, he WAS a Lienz Kossack. And you just know they can't be trusted...

yerssot
a crazy rumor I take... I mean, bond would know if his parents died or not

and really ahnold, some stuff posted here is already done in the funfacts :s

Ahnold
Well Bond could have been hiding something ... a plot point for a new film, perhaps stick out tongue ?

But yerss - this thread is much more specific than just "fun facts". Fun facts could refer to anything...

yerssot
yeah, but it's not easy to find something here

Ahnold
Well we HAVE filled 6 pages in three days...

yerssot
but it will end with a slower rate...

they had a different plot for DAF I believe, but I can't remember what

Ahnold
I mentioned it earlier - Goldfinger's brother...

yerssot
no, thought it was something else blink

The Redeemer
HOTDOG...very reputable??? laughing out loud OK...I heard the paper it's printed on makes good stuff for wiping your ass... wink

yerssot
so... you can't eat a hotdog?

Ahnold
Oh grow up The Redeemer!!! I'm not talking about an actual hotdog!!! It's the name of a film magazine in England. Sheesh!!!

yerssot
that's what he said blink

The Redeemer
Shouldn't that be...*Oh, grow up 007*??? laughing out loud I know HOTDOG...it's on sale in every corner shop here...tripe journalism aimed at the spot headed fanboy that likes DAD and it's ilk... roll eyes (sarcastic)

*Very* reputable, indeed... sick

Ahnold
Look, first of all, their review of DAD wasn't actually very glowing {a mere 3 stars}. And second of all, whatever they may say in their reviews, there is no denying that they are one of the biggest and most popular film mags, and so, yes, most reputable.

I can accept your not liking DAD - but stop ridiculing the people that do! Big newsflash - your opinion is not canon! I thought it was good, and I am most certainly not a "spot headed fanboy"...

The Redeemer
Well...judging by your half assed profile you're certainly young enough to be one... laughing out loud

And, er, biggest and most popular = reputable??? Duh...only a child would make such an assumption...try reading some quality publications, A...I'd recommend some but there ain't any pictures in 'em and the words are probabley too B-I-G...

yerssot
well, I have to agree, it being big and popular does in no way make it a respectable one...

but lets get it ontopic and less on the throat wink

The Redeemer
Like the way I dealt with that loser, eh, old boy? smokin'

yerssot
TR, don't make me ban you stick out tongue

The Redeemer
But you liked it, did'nt you? evil face

yerssot
no, I believe we should all live in peace and harmoneystick out tongue

The Redeemer
You don't fool me, old boy. stick out tongue

yerssot
but I'm serious

Ahnold
Apologies, yerss, cos this post is going to be completely off topic...

Look TR - this isn't on. If you have a problem with me, then you PM me and we deal with it in private. I'd appreciate it if you didn't insult me and belittle me in a public forum, thank you very much.

First of all, I am somewhat baffled by the implication that a half filled in profile somehow makes me a child. In case you didn't know, I'm 18 - so I'd appreciate it if you treated me as an adult. If you're really interested, I didn't fill in my profile because I didn't really feel it was a big deal - but honestly, that's none of your damn business.

Perhaps I was wrong to equate Hotdog's popularity with its good reputation, sure; but I'll have you know that I'm a subscriber to that mag, and one of the reasons I {and, from what I see from the letters page, many others} do so is because in each issue they accurately report on a wide number of issues, sometimes a month ahead of their leading competitors.

Oh now I'm sorry if I didn't feel the need to explain this all to you; but whether I did or not, I can certainly do without condescending comments about "pictures" and "B-I-G words".

I can see that you're very vocal in your views, and I respect that. But grow up, and let others have their own opinions without resorting to petty childish posts like this one...

yerssot
hey, what apolegies, it's not that I own this place wink

but I would appreciate if we would all be friends here

Ahnold
I would love nothing more, yerss - but you can't expect me to sit by and hear him call me a loser and a child without doing anything...

That man has gotta apologise...

yerssot
ah come on, lets focus on the subject again

Ahnold
Alright, you wanna be on topic? Fine. Did you know that, around the time of for your eyes only {when Moore was beginning to express disinterest in the role}, sam neill {Dr. Alan Grant in Jurassic Park} was heavily considered as a replacement?

I STILL want that apology though...

yerssot
if only you didn't wrote that last phrase

Ahnold
It's the most important part...

yerssot
the topic is stick out tongue

Ahnold
Didn't seem to bother you before stick out tongue

yerssot
now it does stick out tongue

Tptmanno1
tsk tsk.
Make up you mind Yerss!!

But thats a cool titbit Ah.

yerssot
don't push me tpt, I demand an apolegy stick out tongue

Ahnold
Thanks, TPT. I try big grin

But I don't think that's funny, yerss. My post was deadly serious sad

yerssot
so was mine wink

Ahnold
big grin

yerssot
so, new plot thingie... erm... they had one for LTK will where Leiter was killed eek!

Ahnold
Really? Why did they change it?

yerssot
cause it was too brutal... like the sharks weren't now blink

Ahnold
That's true. Say, The Redeemer hasn't looked at this thread lately... perhaps he should...

yerssot
why? blink

Ahnold
Look a few pages back, yerss, and you'll see why...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>