Anyone here heard of nightwish?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LordMortis
seen the video for nemo on scuzz the other night and i was blown away! I got the album and i think there the best band ever. The music is a mix between very heavy metal with a very melodic opratic voice. PS Tarja looks amazing!

Victor Von Doom
I wouldn't go as far as best band ever, but they are a cool band.

Not looking forward to the Evanescence comparisons now they are likely to make the big time.

Aini
are you kidding me? of course I know em. Nightwish are since I can't even remember!
and it would be pathetic to compare nightwish with evanescence!

LordMortis
i like evanesance but i have to say nightwish are far better. ppl cant really compare them to evanesance tho it would have to be the other way round. Nightwish have been around since 1996. correct me if im wrong tho but i think evanesance came on the scene a bit later.

Aini
laughing out loud yeah...a bit for sure...and still amy lee thinks she infented that music style no2...that's so funny.
btw, yap you're right they are since 1996

starshine
They're a big thing here. Did you know that Nightwish was trying to get to the Eurovisions one year. laughing It's a good thing they didn't get there..they're far too good.
I personally don't like them much, cause I don't like music like that. But I think they're pretty good.

finti
They were formed in 1997

Tilien
1997? Really... whoa only just heard of them the other day when a friend showed me their album... i think they're kewl... like the music too

Clovie
NIGHTWISH IS THE BEST GOTH BAND EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don't compare them with evanescence no

i have all cds big grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

ps. i used to have a tarja sig big grin
http://clovie.webpark.pl/clov_sig.jpg

RebelPhoenix
I'm a fan yes

I went to their concert at The Mean Fiddler in London last November - I loved every minute of it. All the band members are great musicians and Tarja has the voice of an angel love

Clovie
she is an opera singer.
that is why her voice is so strong big grin

starshine
That's Tarja??? looks different in person...

LordMortis
they aint doing any tours in the uk in the next year >.< had a look on their site. Id travel to the ends of the uk to see her if the ever came to the uk lol. So far i only have 2 of their albums (once and century child) and i just love the video for nemo love nearly brings me to tears lol

furryman
yeah I've heard them

Darth Revan
I've heard of them, unfortunately I have yet to hear any of their music... I've heard them compared to Lacuna Coil before.

LordMortis
just had to change my siggy lol no matter how much i love slipknot nightwish are better (plus i get to stare at Tarja when i post happy ). I hope they come back to the uk tho lol.

loserib
ive also heard of them but never anything from them can some one post an mp3

Clovie
nightwish official page
it is not working at the moment confused
anyway there is mp3 section there big grin

Df02
theyre Operatic metal.......its like slow metal with a very opera voice. Wierd, but alot of my friends (mainly girls) like it lol

RebelPhoenix
Oh a lot of it isn't slow wink some of it is thrash-ish and definitely bombastic but they do have slow songs of course smile

Df02
well they arent exactly Pantera-style music stick out tongue

finti
they are annoying

Clovie
i like this opera-like voice happy

Alpha Centauri
Nightwish rule.

They're the band Evanescence wish they were.

Tarja is an amazing vocalist. She sings like that exact live also. Unlike someone called Amy Lee who's name I could mention but wont.

-AC

Clovie
laughing how true.

LordMortis
I think the fact that Tarja is more mature than Amy Lee allows her to have a more powerful voice. IMO even tho Tarja is like 8 years older than me she looks FANTASTIC!

Clovie
Tarja is profesional singer.
she used to sing in opera (methinks) and she has to have powerful voice. yes

Aini
that Tarja is a way better singer doesn't have anything to do with her being more mature. she's better cause (like clovie already mentioned) she sang in an opera. she has a professional opera training (<don't know if you would say that like that...hope yall get what I mean)

finti
we got ya

must_kill_Santa
i just heard their song nemo and i loved it i wish i could sing like her anyone know where i can find a download of it

Darth Sauron
Known then for a couple of months now, exa introduced me to them stick out tongue

They rock, Swanheart eek!

Saw nemo other day, was watching nirvana on kerrang, and then up popped Nightwish Nemo

Went to buy one of their albums today

One left

Some bastard got there first

finti
try squealing cats mp3 downloads

mah
In by dodgy youth I liked their second album.. now only feelings of hatred are stirred when listening.

finti
her voice kinds of DO NOT GROW ON YOU, two songs and you wanna strangle any cat in term........or Tarja as it also can be called

Alpha Centauri
She has a smooth voice. Nothing squeally about it. Their new album is great but not as good as Oceanborn.

Exabyte
Nightwish rock eek!
Best band I know rock
So far I know about 80 songs or so by them, they are all absolutely amazing and there are nearly none I don't like (which is quite rare... most bands I love have several songs I can't stand)...

Their lyrics are also brilliant ^^
especially in combination with Tarja's amazing voice...

@Aini
She moved to Germany btw ^^ Tarja, I mean... she's studying at the university of Karlsruhe big grin

yes rock

laughing out loud Maybe... though I also like Evanescence... but Nightwish are simply better

Yea, she's great live... though I only know her from videos of the concerts so far... I wanted to see one of their concerts this october, they'll be in Vienna and Munich... but I wont be allowed to go sad

So do I yes

Lol, Opera or Symphonic Metal sounds even better than the normal one imo... though it's a strange combination.

She looks totally different on all the photos messed sometimes ten years older, then like computeranimated, but it's all real photos of her... the one in my current sig is also one of them big grin

loserib
they just got picked up by roadrunner records

ChickinMeat
my buddy is infactuated with them, but ive never heard a single track.

anyone want to recoment me a decent track to intorduce me to them?

Exabyte
Nemo is great.... or I Wish I Had An Angel... or The Kinslayer and Wishmaster eek!

Df02
really starting to hate em now....they seem to be everywhere i look, and the music gets very old very fast lol

Alpha Centauri
I wont go off them just coz they're everywhere unless they start compromising their music and selling out.

-AC

lil bitchiness
Yeah, heard of them.

They are quite good if you like that kind of gothic stuff. yes

room #99
im the biggest nightwish fan as far as i know..ive got all thier albums and dvds and im waiting for the new album to be released here..thier style is called power metal and if u like them try out these bands

theatre of tragedy
lacuna coil
within temptaion
the gathering
after forever

finti
a local band, they moved away from the goth rock scene moving toward synth pop though.
And I feel Nightwish is heading in the direction of comercialized rock, clean cut to be more prudent. JMHO though

Aini
I like to add "sins of thy beloved" to your list. they're geat too.

Exabyte
yes Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation are cool... though Nightwish is imo a lot better.

Kinda sad that they are really getting commercialized now sad

Aini
the gathering is good too. I love annekkes voice.

Sun Ce
I just found this band tonight and i got 13 songs already laughing out loud i love this band its music is great!!, my fav track has got to be "wishmaster - wanderlust" very cool intro and song throughout happy.

So has anyone else heard of this band and what are your views on this heavy gothic music??

Alpha Centauri
I liked them since their first album. They're very good.

-AC

Lord_Andres
I like'em alot, have you heard a song called Bless The child? or what about Over The Hills And Far way?

Alpha Centauri
That was an album, "Over the Hills and Far Away".

-AC

Elektra_lover
What kind of music do they play?

Sun Ce
EL did u even read my post!!!, its heavy gothic kinda stuff, really cool.

Anyway ppl this is the list of music so far...

wishmaster wanderlust - my fav rock
rain - 2nd fav big grin
angels fall first
ever dream
The Phantom Of The Opera
nemo
The Riddler
Wish I Had an Angel - first ever nightwish song i ever heard, great stuff!
Planet Hell
Creek Mary's Blood
The Siren
Dead Gardens
Romanticide
Ghost love score
Higher Than Hope
She Is My Sin

Okay thats all the songs i have so far,. and i only just foudn out about them tonight big grin, but they are cool so i'm looking in winmx for loads!!!

Cinemaddiction
Showy theatre metal a la Iced Earth and Nevermore.

Elektra_lover
Do I ever?

Alpha Centauri
"Sleeping Sun" and "Ghost Love Score" are their two best songs I think. "Sleeping Sun" is gorgeous.

-AC

Sun Ce
i'll be getting that sleeping sun today big grin

Filth
Nightwish is cool big grin i have not herd loads by them but i like i wish i had an angel

Lord_Andres
Hey Sun Ce checout out these songs, all very good big grin

Over The Hills And Far Away
Bless The Child
End
Dead To The World
Beauty Of The Beast

Storm
Of course we have!!!

Ghost Love Score, Sleeping Sun, Wishmaster, Elvenpath, Walking In The Air, Nemo, End Of All Hope, Feel For You, Forever Yours, Dead Boy' s Poem, A Final Dream, Come Cover Me love

Sun Ce
will do, i got over the hill and far away playing right now its cool yeah happy, i'm gonna go on winmx and get some more now big grin, and Storm glad to see u know it too happy

Yumcarrots
i like nightwish. i got their album 'once' a couple of months ago. nemo's my favourite song off of it.

Swanky-Tuna
I like Once Upon a Troubador and Slaying the Dreamer. Also, I like their cover of Symphony of Destruction better than the original.

RagnaViper
Originally posted by LiL nAstY GirL

Symphonic Metal.

And definitely one of the best metal bands around right now.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by LiL nAstY GirL

Over the top theatrical power toons.

Originally posted by RagnaViper

And definitely one of the best metal bands around right now.

Strictly opinion, of course.

RagnaViper
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Over the top theatrical power toons.

Strictly opinion, of course.

A horse, of course. big grin

I do find it hard to deny their greatness though. Not really much of a fan, but they're definitely up there in terms of greatness.

SlipknoT
The Chic is pretty hot

RagnaViper
Originally posted by SlipknoT
The Chic is pretty hot

I don't know if I agree with you on that. Tarja is more... say "beautiful". Not really hot to me. Now Christina from Lacuna Coil. She is teh hawtness.

SlipknoT
Either way I'd hit both...

RagnaViper
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Either way I'd hit both...

Good for you.

mr.smiley
I think their rather silly myself.If Evan Essence would have came out in 1984 this would have been them.

Deathblow
Good lord no. Evanescence, as many people have said before, are Linkin Park with a chick. Linkin Park as in the pathetic angst-pop band. Nightwish are more like Therion with a chick. Therion as in the amazing operatic metal band.

The only thing that links Evanescence to bands like Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Tapping The Vein, Within Temptation, Collide, Flowing Tears etc. is that they have an attractive female vocalist. It really annoys me when people put Evanescence with those bands, just cos of the female vox. Otep and Arch Enemy have female vocalists too, does that make them interchangeable with Evanescence? Hardly.

Ronny
Nightwish are pretty awesome stick out tongue I would kill to look like Tarja Turunen. Personally I think angels fall first is they're best album. They have the same feel as Lacuna Coil

mr.smiley
Originally posted by Deathblow
Good lord no. Evanescence, as many people have said before, are Linkin Park with a chick. Linkin Park as in the pathetic angst-pop band. Nightwish are more like Therion with a chick. Therion as in the amazing operatic metal band.

The only thing that links Evanescence to bands like Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Tapping The Vein, Within Temptation, Collide, Flowing Tears etc. is that they have an attractive female vocalist. It really annoys me when people put Evanescence with those bands, just cos of the female vox. Otep and Arch Enemy have female vocalists too, does that make them interchangeable with Evanescence? Hardly.

I disagree.Listen to the I wish I had an angel song.It's the same kind of timing and song structure Evan Essence does.

Exabyte
Wish I Had An Angel is very much unlike their earlier songs / style though imo, so it's hard to compare them as a band to anyone just based on this one song ermm especially as the massive, complex sound itself is still far from what Evanescence are doing

Deathblow
Exactly. One song means very little. And at least attempt to spell Evanescence right, surely you've noticed by now that is actually just one word.

Ladyluck
Nightwish is awesome...I discovered them a few months ago...very unpopular here, almost no one knows them which is a shame because they rock

Alpha Centauri

Precisely.

After The Gathering it seems as though everyone tried to get the female vocalist thing going on. I really like Nightwish. I think Lacuna Coil have some good moments.

-AC

mr.smiley
Exactly. One song means very little. And at least attempt to spell Evanescence right, surely you've noticed by now that is actually just one word.

No need to get offensive about it.I just hear a lot of similarites between the two.Imo,Nightwish is entertaining,but in a guilty pleasure kind of way.

Imaginary
My friend likes them... I guess I'll have to borrow her iPod.

Swanky-Tuna
Nightwish are more like Therion with a chick.
Therion does have a chick. But I get what you mean.

That it is. That it is.

AllieBB19
LACUNA COIL is 20 times BETTER!

Treehuggerjanie
Nightwish are an excellen band im a big fan of them. Tarja is beautiful, as is her voice. I saw them live in February at Manchester. One of the best gigs ive been to.

Yumcarrots
what has happened to Nightwish? I read the open letter on their website, but I don't get what happened. confused

Exabyte
Tarja was kicked out and they're searching for a new singer (or, as the latest announcements make it sound like, have found one, but not yet published his/her name) and they're working for their new albums (studio sessions in September, but more than a dozen tracks are already written) blink

or did i miss something?

Swanky-Tuna
She was a "queen bee" as one of my friends put it.

Strangelove
I'm resurrecting this thread, to avoid duplicate.

I just stumbled across this band while I was browsing through YouTube last night, and I absolutely love this band now. My internet was blocked by my university last night, but once I get it back one the first things I'm doing is dowloading these songs yes

Metal with an operatic female lead singer droolio

However, the fact that Tarja is no longer in the band distresses me...they'll never be as good again. weep

lord xyz
Nightwish is aweful. That woman Tarja sounds like the devil's mum or something. sick

Strangelove
Originally posted by lord xyz
Nightwish is aweful. That woman Tarja sounds like the devil's mum or something. sick sad

Alfheim
Originally posted by Strangelove

However, the fact that Tarja is no longer in the band distresses me...they'll never be as good again. weep

Thery kicked her out because she was being a b****, but im sure Tarja is not the only talented singer in the world im sure they can get another one.

Nightwish is aweful. That woman Tarja sounds like the devil's mum or something. sick

You're kidding right?

Strangelove
Originally posted by Alfheim
Thery kicked her out because she was being a b****, but im sure Tarja is not the only talented singer in the world im sure they can get another one.

You're kidding right? I was reading several accounts of the incident where the band ejected Tarja, and I don't think she was necessarily being a b!tch, I just think they were ready to split.

And I know that she's not the only talented singer, but it just won't be the same, she has a very distinctive voice.

C. C. Cowgirl
The new nightwish

GdZn7k5rZLQ

The old nightwish

p6xaIPszwpo

Anette or Tarja? smile

Bardock42
The old one seems better to me.

It's not really my thing anyways...

C. C. Cowgirl

Just because you dislike the group you do not have to take it out on her stick out tongue

Her voice is beautiful! faint

But if Tarja was the problem earlier, then I can 'happily' inform you that she is replaced sad

chillmeistergen
Load of shit.

C. C. Cowgirl
Neh stick out tongue

The new ones are not as good as the old ones but they are far from shit big grin

ChristinaDeath
It's sad that Tarja had to go, but i this was best for the band, then I am happy for their gain. Sometimes change is necessary. No Tarja is better than no Nightwish!

Bardock42
Originally posted by C. C. Cowgirl
Neh stick out tongue

The new ones are not as good as the old ones but they are far from shit big grin Though, to be fair, they are far from great as well.

Alfheim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72gozo7yKoU&mode=related&search=

C. C. Cowgirl
Originally posted by Bardock42
Though, to be fair, they are far from great as well.

I like them smile

Tempe Brennan
I love Nightwish, but I prefer Tarja! I can't stand Anette, to be honest, and haven't listened to any of their new songs since Tarja left.

The BEST performance Tarja has ever done was on Eurovision (I never knew they performed here) in 2000, I believe it was. They performed a song called 'Sleepwalker', which really displays Tarja's operatic voice.

The worst Tarja performance, if you must know, would have to be her version of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', which she performed at a fashion show last year. I have never seen, or heard, for that matter, such a terrible performance from her! She was wearing what appeared to be a curtain, and sang seemingly out of tune, and was all over the place like was stoned. confused

If anyone is interested in seeing this performance, I will find a link for you! smile

Britrogue
Nightwish are brilliant. The best word I can use to describe them is Epic. I do like Anette Olsen, but I think she lacks the "something else" that Tarja has

Tempe Brennan
I have actually refused to listen to Nightwish with Anette. I am just a little afraid I'd prefer her over Tarja.

ragesRemorse
much like dream theater, I like this bands music until the vocals start

Tempe Brennan
So you like the music but not the vocals? Okay...what is it you don't like?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Tempe Brennan
I have actually refused to listen to Nightwish with Anette. I am just a little afraid I'd prefer her over Tarja. Isn't that the worst reason to not do something?

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by Bardock42
Isn't that the worst reason to not do something?

Ye, it is, but since I wrote that, I've had a change of heart. The new music would be written for Anette, not Tarja, so I'd probably buy the new album, but from what I have heard, Anette isn't really good at singing the songs that Tarja made hers - Nemo, Sleeping Sun, and Bless The Child, for example.
Obviously they'd sound different because Anette isn't classically trained, but I don't think she should sing them. Fans associate those songs with Tarja, I wouldn't want to even imagine Anette trying her hand at my favourite Nightwish songs. confused

Azure
I loversess this band!! my favorite songs are Wish I Had an Angel and Wishmaster!

Tempe Brennan
^ What about Nemo and Bless The Child?

Also, have you heard Tarja sing Sleepwalker? It was live, she wore a red dress but that's about all I know. Breathtaking, really it was.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.