Argh, another annoying problem.. Computer "skips"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
Occasionally, this problem also happens... I'm just on the computer, no idleness or anything, and just clicking away and stuff, and all of a sudden, it's like my computer "skips." All processes completely halt for a second, then continue for two seconds, halt, go, halt, go, including the mouse. It's like my computer completely freezes for a second... and then it keeps doing it until I restart. Does anyone know what problem I'm talking about, why it happens, and/or how to fix it?? sad

yerssot
downloaded the latest drivers?

JKozzy
Yep, everything's always been up-to-date. I don't think drivers are an issue. erm

yerssot
hmm, by any chance connected to the net at that time?

JKozzy
Broadband's always on, and I never disconnect the modem for anything, so yep.

yerssot
it might be IE related, for some reason my pc is touchy when being online, it might be the same deal with you?

JKozzy
It might be that, but I've been using Avant Browser lately, has an IE core.. but what can IE do that makes the computer halt up over and over again? I've closed all open programs and it never went away... always had to restart messed

yerssot
not IE in general, just the net perhaps?

JKozzy
It just happens when I'm using any old program, I was watching a DVD and it started 'skipping', listening to music, talking online, on KMC... but it happened before we had the internet, so I don't know sad

yerssot
don't use old programs then no expression

JKozzy
I don't use old programs... confused

yerssot
that's what you said last time

JKozzy
Last time? Is Avant an old program? blink

yerssot
sure, why not

JKozzy
Maybe I'll just wait for Raz on this one too stick out tongue

Raz
If you're on Windows XP, run the task manager and see what program is taking up the CPU. You might want to sort the columns by the CPU usage.

JKozzy
It's usually the System Idle Process, but I don't see anything that stands out when the 'skipping'... will look again when it hapens messed

WindDancer
I got that a couple of times here at KMC. All I did was to log off and log on and it stop. confused

vizif
(edit): Nm I'm stupid, and I don't even know what this board is. Sorry.

MC Mike
I forgive you.

yerssot
well, I don't stick out tongue

JKozzy
Yeah, and I still get the problem... thanks for reminding me confused

Reborn Again
Okay here's your problem: You're not running the latest IE. I got this until I upgraded to the latest IE explorer. It froze like a deer in the headlights and then shot off again like a bullet through the air. Sorry for the strange analogies, but it's a fair analogy of what is happening. Check your IE explorer. Are you running IE6? Have all the latest devices? If this still doesn't help, try returning to a time in your system restore that you remember when your computer worked properly. Otherwise reformat your computer.

Raz
Do you run anti-virus software or a firewall? Make sure you close all the problems that you don't need, including programs running in the background.

Also is there something specific you do that causes the problem?

JKozzy
I don't use IE.

And yes, I have Norton 2003 on this computer, and Norton Personal Firewall, I want to say 02... I keep getting updates for them. Lost the serial # for my Systemworks 04, so I can't get that back on... but anyway, no, it just happens spontaniously, nothing specific triggers it from what I can tell.

miahera
could be running to many apps. at one time. as you are on the net all the time, you could also have unintentionally acquired something. a worm perhaps?

Raz
I would have a guess and say its Norton.

Try using alternative software and disable both Norton programs to see if the problem goes away.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.