Jimi Hendrix

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Black Onyx
i can not belive there isnt a thread about him I LOVE HIM

my favorite song is by far Foxey Lady

SeptemberRain
Purple Haze, and All Along the Watch tower are great

Alpha Centauri
All Along The Watchtower, Crosstown Traffic, Voodoo Child (Slight Return) are all favs.

-AC

Black Onyx
right on

yea all along the watch tower kicks ass

HockeyHorror
he's a genius yes

Black Onyx
I KNOW!!!!!!!! rock

ElectricBugaloo
All the songs that he took fromBob Dylan were classics.

The other day on the local college radio station, they played this badass Hendrix live song that started out as a blues standard, but it slowly evolved into this just badass Hendrix solo. Truly amazing.

el_barto
I never really heard much of him but what I have heard is amazing smile

Black Onyx
hes a freakin GOD pray

HockeyHorror
maybe not a GOD

but G.O.A.T

ElectricBugaloo
i hate it when people say GOAT. it's the dumbest saying ever.

HockeyHorror
sad

should i just commit suicide? laughing out loud

ElectricBugaloo
yeah, seppiku is the only way out of this offense, i fear

HockeyHorror
ok seppuku it is.

ok i cut my stomach from left to right with a dagger and u grab a sword and cut my head off. ok? yes

ElectricBugaloo
sounds good.

finti
I like some of his stuff but he never really got me with his music though. Great guitarist but even so I always wondered if he hadnt died would he still have this more or less cult status. Personally I dont think so

ElectricBugaloo
more or less cult status? what world do you live in?

He is almost universally accepted as the greatest guitarist of all time; Are You Experienced is constantly mentioned in the greatest albums of all time lists; Band of Gypsys is a solid album that critics loved.

moshtitan
Hendirx rules...My favorite songs gotta be Spanish Castle Magic. id say its one of his best musical writngs.

finti
it was a rethorical question if you read the entire sentence

And thats what that question was hinting at, if he hadnt died would he achived the status he have now?

As I said he was a great artist, but I think his albums are highly overrated musically. Never would rank any of his albums in the greatest albums list.For me there are just a couple of good tunes that deserve further attention .
But for all means his skills with the guitar is unbelivable

furryman
Love him big grin

RebelPhoenix
Every time I watch 'Third Rock from the Sun' I always think of 'Third Stone from the Sun' big grin

ElectricBugaloo
maybe you and I are operating from different definitions of 'cult status'. I tend to think of cult status as something that the mainstream doesn't really understand or appreciate, which Jimi is not.

finti
cult status to me is one who become an icon or symbol if you like, an aspiring object for people.
Never though of cult being not mainstream cause it usually end up being that anyway

moonwalker741
hey what does G.O.A.T meen?

and jimi rules! purple haze

furryman
Ive heard cult applied to both messed "cult status" though ususally as incredibly famous

KMC
Outrageous.

Kate xx

Alpha Centauri
Where there's alot of musicians around who will be the best for years to come, I can't see anyone besting Hendrix.

He isn't "more or less" anything. He is the greatest guitarist of all time.

-AC

KMC
There have been better singers, writers and all round musicians but no-one can better his guitar playing.

Kate xx

Alpha Centauri
Abso-truth-ly.

I personally think there are only two instrument players who wont ever be bested. Danny Carey of Tool (Drummer) and obviously Hendrix. Carey hasn't actually achieved that status JUST yet, now I think of it. However next album he will I think. Considering on all their albums he's done stuff drummers can only dream of and for this new album he has had new, one of a kind drums made.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
no way is Dana Carey of Tool the best drummer ever; I don't think that he will top Keith Moon or Bonham; having a double bass drum in every song doesn't necessarily make you the best ever.

plenTpak52
^Hell yea! Keith was the greatest

He has always had that status.

I love Jimi Hendrix. My favorite song is Manic Depression. I love how he always played with that sloppy tuning.

ElectricBugaloo
he always played right handed guitars upside down instead of tuning his guitars left handed so that he could just pick up a guitar anywhere and play

SeptemberRain
drunk pirate: Jim.
Jim:yes Captian
drunk pirate: Jim, Jimi, Jim, jimjim, jim, jim
Jim:yes Captian!

Black Onyx
laughing laughing laughing laughing

SeptemberRain
do, u know what thats from, Onyx?

finti
ehh no he hasnt

nah

KMC
cough*Muppet Treasure Island*cough

Kate xx

Alpha Centauri
"no way is Dana Carey of Tool the best drummer ever; I don't think that he will top Keith Moon or Bonham; having a double bass drum in every song doesn't necessarily make you the best ever."

Why do you assume that the reason I believe he is the greatest ever drummer is because of the double bass drum? I'm referring to his time signatures and drum breaks. Find a drummer that can come up with a drum solo equalling The Grudge and we can discuss. I don't judge musical genius on ability to play. Carey could play anything Bonham or Moon come up with. They could never ever play the drums in Lateralus. Because they could never create it. For the record it's Danny not Dana.

And yes Finti, Hendrix is the greatest guitarist of all time.

-AC

finti
no AC I dont think he is, you can think that all you want but to me he aint. Dont know why people keep on persisting of the greatest of all timeBS cause it is impossible to decide, that he was one of the best without a doubt. There are many great guitarist out.

what a load of crap. You are assuming a great deal that you actually have no knowledge of at all, who knows what both Boham and Moon could have come up with had they been able to live a little longer than they did.

Alpha Centauri
"no AC I dont think he is, you can think that all you want but to me he aint. Dont know why people keep on persisting of the greatest of all timeBS cause it is impossible to decide, that he was one of the best without a doubt. There are many great guitarist out."

There are many great guitarists. Hence my point. Hendrix was above great.

"what a load of crap. You are assuming a great deal that you actually have no knowledge of at all, who knows what both Boham and Moon could have come up with had they been able to live a little longer than they did."

Well given the outside influence that Tool work with and the difference in music they make, I don't believe they would have been able to. At all. It's not crap. It's just the way things go. Not saying Bonham and Moon wouldn't have got better though.

-AC

finti
great drummers adapt quickly, and Carey sure as hell had Moon Bonham and Ian Paice (deep purple) as idols probably Peter Criss of Kiss too. Maybe others as well. But he was the right age when the first three were huge in the early - mid 70`s. And few could keep the pace Paice had then. Listen to either Made In Japan or California Jam with Deep Purple for the drum solos, didnt need all that many drums but boy was he able to make something out of the little fdrum set he had

Alpha Centauri
"great drummers adapt quickly, and Carey sure as hell had Moon Bonham and Ian Paice (deep purple) as idols probably Peter Criss of Kiss too. Maybe others as well. But he was the right age when the first three were huge in the early - mid 70`s. And few could keep the pace Paice had then. Listen to either Made In Japan or California Jam with Deep Purple for the drum solos, didnt need all that many drums but boy was he able to make something out of the little fdrum set he had"

I do like it when people say "Listen to..." as if I haven't already. As if that would be detrimental to my judging of the drummers in question.

Jimi Hendrix had idols. It doesn't mean they are better than he was.

Danny Carey has over 30 years experience in almost every style of drumming there is. He is pathetically competent on drums. Lateralus, Hooker With A Penis, Forty-Six & 2, The Grudge and H. specifically. Nobody can match that.

If you listen to The Grudge solo, not only does he hit almost every drum on his 46 piece kit, as part of a complicated time signature, but he manages, somehow to keep hitting the cymbals also. It's almost impossible. But that's just technique. Musically I don't believe any drummer can come up with what Carey has/does/will.

-AC

finti
Well if you hadnt heard it it could alter or expand your view toward the subject

considering your earlier quote (look above), well ...............
pretty good for a 43 year old guy. But he aint alone in that department though, there are plenty of session musicians around that are very capable in most styles tehy can be offered.

now thats a different view on things though smile more like it. Its good you have a favourite but like I said with JH it is hard to determine the best since there are so many extremly good musicians out there. To say someone is the best or the likes is merly a matter of opinion.

Alpha Centauri
"considering your earlier quote (look above), well ..............."

I was saying that under the assumption you heard it. Coz you seem to know Carey and Tool.

"pretty good for a 43 year old guy. But he aint alone in that department though, there are plenty of session musicians around that are very capable in most styles tehy can be offered."

I'd say Josh Freese is up there. He can do anything for anyone, almost. But I just don't think he nor any other drummer could actually create the stuff Carey does.

"Its good you have a favourite but like I said with JH it is hard to determine the best since there are so many extremly good musicians out there. To say someone is the best or the likes is merly a matter of opinion."

Well yeah if it's a close call. But technically Danny Carey's methods are way ahead of any one else. Dave Lombardo and Josh Freese and the only two I'd put near him today. Bonham was the man. If he were around today things may have been different but he's not and Carey is.

-AC

amity75
Quite simply, Jimi Hendrix is conclusive proof that Aliens have visited earth.

Victor Von Doom
Yeah.

Although music is subjective, some opinions are more valid than others, and it is basically accepted that Jimi is the best.

Bonham or Moon never played anything that impressed me like Carey does. Never before has a drummer been so integral and irreplacable in music of that calibre.

finti
well they never replaced Bonham though without one exeption, Live Aid 1985

then you cant hard all their material cause both put out some impressive things consider the timeline in the rock history they did their stuff

Alpha Centauri
"well they never replaced Bonham though without one exeption, Live Aid 1985"

That's because other drummers can play his stuff. Tool couldn't play gigs without Carey coz there are many drum parts that no drummer could play. The fact that Carey is over 6 foot and has arms like tree trunks probably enhances his abilty also.

"then you cant hard all their material cause both put out some impressive things consider the timeline in the rock history they did their stuff"

Yes I have and none of them impress me like Carey does. Most drummers just play their part but Carey actually has his own songs within songs when he plays drums. It's like he is playing coz he wants to and the stuff becomes part of a whole, a song. As opposed to him just playing like a drone. I believe Danny Carey is the greatest drummer of all time and it will be a very very long time before anyone tops him if they do at all. However without a doubt he is the best drummer today.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Excuse me? How are you to know what I have heard. I am a massive Bonham fan, but as I said, nothing he has done has impressed me as much as Carey has. You are trying to disprove my opinion with yours.

ElectricBugaloo
After some great deliberation, consultation with people who I know have way more experience in all matters music, and tons of listening, it looks like I have come up with the best drummer of all time: Cobham.

finti
dont overexagerate the skills of Carey, I heard his stuff and believe me there are drummers who can play his stuff.

No I dont, but to be honost I think Carey is a good drummer but to use your words he aint impressive ............to me

ok more experience than who, do you know the musicl experiense of the posters here cool

finti
having a hard time finding DVDs with Jimmy, aint too much about him on DVD in Norway and the ones that are here is zone 1, my DVD is a zone 2 onlymad

ElectricBugaloo
I meant more musical experience than me, sorry if it came out otherwise; I don't know your scope of musical knowledge, but their musical knowledge is impressive and a bit scary that one person can know so much about music in so many different genres. Though they seem to be a bit behind in the hip hop category

finti
oh dont know too much on the hip hop category either, have always been interested in music though and pay a load of attention to it.

no no I was only joking

Victor Von Doom
Carey is not impressive to you?

Jason Wyngarde
he is good but a little overated

finti
no, he aint

ElectricBugaloo
Carey is pretty impressive, but he isn't the greatist.

Alpha Centauri
"dont overexagerate the skills of Carey, I heard his stuff and believe me there are drummers who can play his stuff."

Once again, read what I wrote. I said there are many drum PARTS that NO drummer could play because.......there are some drum parts that Carey plays which could be played by no other drummer. Technically. Just because YOU think I'm over-exaggerating him, doesn't make it fact. Sorry to pop that bubble. I'm not saying he whoops and destroys every drummer ever. I'm just saying no drummer (and I've heard everything you've mentioned) impresses me like Danny Carey can or does. Danny Carey's drum techniques, as with all Tool stuff, is very complex and takes time to appreciate. Many people here on this music forum tend to think age means best. Bonham was part of Zeppelin and is one of the greatest ever, however that was then and this is now. This is Danny Carey's time and I don't believe anyone alive or dead could ever or will ever match him. I'll explain why that is (IMO):

1) If it's speed that impresses you. Check out Hooker With A Penis. Or the middle of The Grudge's end drum solo. Or any other of his burst of drumming speed.

2) If it's quirky time signatures and complex rhythms, check out Lateralus or Bottom. Those are just two outstanding, not the only ones.

3) If it's quick exciting power drumming. Check out the drum break on Forty-Six & 2 or H. To name a couple.

He can do anything. This is a man in his early 40s with 30 years of drumming experience in every style. Rock, Hard Rock, Speed Metal, Punk, Thrash Metal, Jazz. You name it he can play it. Led Zeppelin could play a set with a replacement drummer who knew all the songs. So could Deep Purple. Tool could never play a whole set without Danny Carey coz no drummer can play everything he does. Some people regard Lars Ulrich as the best drummer ever yet Joey Jordison came out at Download Festival this year and played a whole set with them. Tool could never do that coz Carey is irreplacable.

"he is good but a little overated"

What the hell? Overrated? Hardly anyone besides people who have a wide musical scope know of him and as we've seen, not many people have it in them to appreciate what he does. If anything he is criminally underrated.

"Carey is pretty impressive, but he isn't the greatist."

...to you. Carey is pretty impressive but not the greatest......to you.

I respect your apparant intelligence in musical matters E.B but you really do need to start realising that your opinions are just that.

-AC

finti
no one is irreplacable, someone out there can do what Carey is doing. He has plenty of young aspiring drummers who idolize him and practice the stuff he plays, like many others Tool have cover bands too, some probably a whole lot of better than the ohters but everybody has its equal. Now that it takes time and 1000 of agonising hours to copy him is for certain, I just feel that Carey gets a bit carried away at times, it gets to technica like he is overdoing it.
Has to be said though I aint much of a Tool fan

goes for us all

Victor Von Doom
Are you a drummer?

Alpha Centauri
"no one is irreplacable, someone out there can do what Carey is doing. He has plenty of young aspiring drummers who idolize him and practice the stuff he plays, like many others Tool have cover bands too, some probably a whole lot of better than the ohters but everybody has its equal."

Hendrix probably has fanatical followers. I doubt anyone can play all that he can though. Not everybody has an equal and no Tool cover bands are anywhere near Tool's level. You said yourself you're not much of a Tool fan so kinda renders things irrelevant.

"goes for us all"

I always say things are my opinion. Like it was said before, music is a subjective medium but some opinions hold water better than others. If your opinion was that Evanescence were good, mine was that they were shit. Mine would be the opinion closer to truth.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
so you can only have a viable opinion if you are a fan of that band? then i guess all your opinions on Evanescence and Avril Lavigne kinda renders your arguments irrelevant

Alpha Centauri
"Like it was said before, music is a subjective medium but some opinions hold water better than others. If your opinion was that Evanescence were good, mine was that they were shit. Mine would be the opinion closer to truth."

Read this.

I never implied it would be closer because I didn't like them. It would be true because they are actually shit.

-AC

finti
first of all you never heard all teh tool cover bands so you stating a fact about a thing you dont know. Not being a Tool fan doesnt make me "handicaped" toward their stuff though, it aint just the fans that renders thing to be relevant.

played drums to start off "my musical" career, went on to keyboard then vocal and flutes. (wanted to be Ian Paice, but also had a thing for Jon Lord`s stuff too, and Jethro Tull appeald as well) Still ended up playing none of Purples nor Tulls songs at all. Played stuff by Saga, Rainbow, Thin Lizzy and Steve Miller Band and Dr Hook confused, hell the girls loved some of the Hooks songs, but it made huge fights within the band wetter we should include them or not. Me and the guitarist were voted down by the majority of the band so we had to go along

again if you practise enough you master his stuff

no your opinion wouldnt be closer to the truth, it would be your opinion and nothing more.

Alpha Centauri
"first of all you never heard all teh tool cover bands so you stating a fact about a thing you dont know. Not being a Tool fan doesnt make me "handicaped" toward their stuff though, it aint just the fans that renders thing to be relevant."

If I know more of and about their music than you do, then it does make my words on the subject more relevant. Depending on why you do not like them, your words can be considered slightly dubious. Also, it's a given that none of the cover bands are on Tool's level. It is.

"again if you practise enough you master his stuff"

Of course not. You don't think there's people who have done that for years? There's still no one as good or better, he's accepted widely as the best coz he is.

"no your opinion wouldnt be closer to the truth, it would be your opinion and nothing more."

No, it would actually be closer to the truth if we are on the discussion of musical talent. As Evanescence have zero talent.

-AC

finti
again a matter of opinion

same goes for if you like them, then your words would be highly impartial. I never said I didnt like them I said I wasnt a fan of theirs. You can like a groups stuff without being a fan. fans go further into the debt of a band, or at least that what they ought to

again a matter of opinion.
AC you seem to tend to make your opinion a fact while you tell others not to do so.
maybe it is time you started following your own words there AC.

Regardless how you put it Carey wont be the best for me, he obvious does something for you but that doesent mean he is the best. Reason for that is pretty simple it is impossible to decide who is the best. Carey has his stuff and dont get me wrong he is multi talented ,but still I rate other drummers as good as him, plain and simple. And nothing will ever change that.

Victor Von Doom
I agree with that: I don't see how you can say he isn't impressive though.

Alpha Centauri
"again a matter of opinion.
AC you seem to tend to make your opinion a fact while you tell others not to do so."

No no no. As strongly as I put over my opinions I recognise they are just that. However, as has been said multiple times, musical opinions are sometimes more "correct" than others.

"same goes for if you like them, then your words would be highly impartial. I never said I didnt like them I said I wasnt a fan of theirs. You can like a groups stuff without being a fan. fans go further into the debt of a band, or at least that what they ought to"

I'm never biased with music. I don't think Carey is the best coz he's in Tool.

"Regardless how you put it Carey wont be the best for me, he obvious does something for you but that doesent mean he is the best. Reason for that is pretty simple it is impossible to decide who is the best. Carey has his stuff and dont get me wrong he is multi talented ,but still I rate other drummers as good as him, plain and simple. And nothing will ever change that."

I too agree and I wasn't trying to get you to say he was the best, just disagreeing coz that is what happens in debates. You claimed he wasn't impressive which is mainly what I was trying to get you to see. That viewing him as the best or not, he is damn impressive.

-AC

finti
I probably have to crawl to the cross admitting he is kind of impressing, would love to hear him play a drumset like the ones used by Bonham and Paice in around 72-74. Not much more than a 4 piece drumset with a load of cymbals. Thats a classic and oh I forgot Moon had a 4 piece set as well, unusual cause they usually came as a 5 piece set.

Why would I love to see Carey play a set like that, well his true potential would show. With his eminent technique it would be interesting to see him work it. I would love to see him perform some good old Zeppelin, Purple and the Who classics. About the Who , their session drummer the last years is worth a notice Zack Starkey (the son of Ringo Starr)
He is good, lightyears ahead of his famed father, check him out he is worth it and...................ooooooooppppppppppppsssss this should be about Hendrix embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment

Victor Von Doom
What is anyone's favourite album or track?

Alpha Centauri
If Hendrix.......I do love Electric Ladyland as cliche as it may be. All Along The Watchtower or of course Voodoo Child (Slight Return) would be favs. Along with Crosstown Traffic. It varies really.

-AC

finti
Hey Joe

ElectricBugaloo
I like All Along the Watchtower (Dylan lyrics + Hendrix guitar=awesomeness) and The Wind Cries Mary

Victor Von Doom
Little Wing for me, but it changes all the time.

Drifter101
what a shame he died so young, the greatest guitarist ever

D-Double
^Yep yes

***S***
If anyone has any unkind words to say about Jimi... boxing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.