M. Night Shamalan's The Village

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

scarymvyfanatic
The Village comes out in theatres this friday, im going to see it cuz it looks awesome and m night shamalan has made TONS of awesome horror flicks, wat do u think?

HockeyHorror
this is a movie i've been waiting for a while. it should be really good. the concept seems really different...for some reason...the red mark reminds of reference from something else..

Dejio
What do we think of what exactly?

M. Night Shyamalan certainly has made great suspense/horror movies, and I certainly would want to watch his new movie, "The Village".
One thing I like about M. Night's movies is that; what he hints at the start of the movie is always true. Like if he hinted there are ghosts, then there ARE ghosts. If there are aliens then there ARE freaking aliens! I really hate movies that tries to explain things otherwise. And secondly, M. Nights movies has a way of drawing out true fears when you encounter them in the real world (I never realized how scared you could be when visited by aliens).

What got me excited about "The Village" is that it seems to hint an H.P Lovecraft type of story; that there are other things much older that man that lives in this world. If I'm correct, then this is gonna be an awesome movie. Can't wait to watch it!

KidRock
the red marks on the door are also a refrence to if you ever heard the jewish tale of Moses..in egypt when the plagues came they marked there doors so the plague would sorta pass them over (idk the whole thing im not jewish lol)

scarymvyfanatic
i meant wat do u think of the village and or m night shamalan, sry i didn't explain that, im definitely going to the vivlage as soon as it comes out and thats this friday, ill tell u if its good lol

Stormy_Day
The Sixth Sense
The Others
Signs

Have all been great and I think this one will be to wink

scarymvyfanatic
i hope so im paying $8 + popcorn fees to go see it lol

Stormy_Day
laughing

I dont usually buy popcorn.

HockeyHorror
Kid Rock- yea i was thinkin that...but i think there is also another reference.

scarymvyfanatic
wat reference would that be???

SlipknoT
The Village looks really good.

$8? where I go it's $5.50

scarymvyfanatic
but let me guess, ur american right? im canadian, lol, damn exchange rate

ragesRemorse
Night said his inspiration for this movie was wuthering heights and king kong. yeah night is a great director, he knows how to build suspense and carry it through for a deep bone thrilling twist.

SideByrnes
What is in the forset??? i mean hes done movies with ghosts...aliens... what else can he do

ragesRemorse
beasts

Dejio
..Ents? big grin

scarymvyfanatic
wtf, i hope its giant rabid squirrel transfestites, i would b scared for like my life

§nakehead
Teletubies! nah, probally something like in "they"

ariwin
I wholeheartedly agree -- which is why it doesn't really matter what the twist is -- though that's a nice present at the end, getting to the big reveal is a bigger part of his films for me.

Thus far, the reviews all seems pretty good, which is fantastic.

Can't wait for this.

Cowboyography
I am excited to see this flick however I hate ole hairlip, to bad he didnt replace his brother that night years ago at the Coke bar.

swrl257
I am waiting with sheer excitement, to see THE VILLAGE. Since the previews started to appear last month I was hooked. I have my direct tv set to remind me when any M. Night stories/interviews/ previews are on. "obsessed" send help. hey did anyone see the " Buried Secret of M. Night Shaymalan documentry"? Happy Dance laughing

Cowboyography
Spoilers:

I have heard two different rumors, both may be crap but the second is a great twist

Spoiler 1

The creatures are werewolves

Lame right, ok before you blast me read this one:

The village, is never given a date, we assume its late 1800's, however it is much more modern day, the creatures are Construction laborers and the marks on the doors are houses marked for demolition. the Village has been sheltered by a group of elders and never have seen the modern world.

who knows, mabey? LMK what you think

Stormy Day
Im so excited im going to see its first showing at my local theater tomorrow at 11:30am.I CANT WAIT!!!!Then im gonna go see Harold and Kumar shifty

Bagtatta
He had nothing to do with The Others, genius.

Stormy Day
He directed it no expression

ariwin
Well, I saw this and I'll tell you that as far as your second spoiler is concerned:
We are definately given a date for this film -- its mentioned several times, so you can rule that "fact" out

Anyhow, my general impressions of the film are pretty good. I think that the storyline played out well, the cinematography is unmatched, there are some phenomenal scenes b/w Ivy and Lucius. And, it was interesting seeing M. Night's take on the classic love story.

I will probably be seeing this again over the weekend.

Stormy Day
Im going to see it in an hour...IM SO EXCITED eek!

Cowboyography
am I kinda right?

Bagtatta
No he didn't.

Jeff-Man
i saw it. it wasnt very scary.

Cinemaddiction

scarymvyfanatic
omg i jus saw the village and it was a disgrace, i even asked for my money back it was so terrible, i can't believe m night wrote that it sucked so much, do NOT go see it

moonwalker741
this movie was not meant to be a thriller, horrow movie, the trailers made it seem like that, but it really wasnt, so its your own fault actually

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Its nobodys fault that its crap..I agree it was bad..

roundisfunny
Why is EVERYBODY on this board trashing this movie? I loved it! Of course, I'm inclined to think that Jerry Bruckheimer's offerings are contrived pablum, so what do I know? miffed

Anyway, what I liked about it was that it DID occur to me that the elders were making it up before it was revealed. However...my first instinct was that ONE elder was behind it, like Mr. Walker (William Hurt). He was present when the creatures first howled, though, and I didn't think that it was a vast conspiracy amongst ALL of the elders. When Lucius's friend in the tower said something like "Why would you want to go beyond the woods; the elders have said...." that all but convinced me that the elders were behind it.

I even thought that it might be set in modern-day, when Mr. Walker is arguing with the elders about Ivy's sojourn, but I couldn't reconcile it with the fact that the children would have seen "strange, metal birds" flying overhead every day. M. Night tied that off nicely at the end.

I also noticed right off the bat that there was no hint of Christianity in their funerary or dinnertime rituals, although I chalked it up to M. Night's personal preferences. Still, how likely is it that the elders would all feel strongly enough to keep a sort of vague agnosticism in their community? That just screams fakery to the outside observer.

Finally, when Noah shows up as the "real" creature, I had no idea. I thought it looked cheesy, but then so did the aliens in "Signs". I didn't see that coming at all. Only when the elders approached their "secret box" did I manage to figure it all out (about 15 seconds before M. Night revealed it anyway. I'm so special.

There are parts that leave me scratching my head, of course, like why would the elders feel the need to be historically true to one era or technology? Making the women wear corsets, and letting seven-year-old kids die of TB or some crap that can easily be cured in the 21st centurY? It's insane to go into that kind of self-sustaining environment without planning for emergencies. There are all kinds of examples of closed-off communities (cults, the Amish, conspiracy-minded compounds, hippie communes, etc) that shelter their children to some extent, but even the elders should have allowed SOME modern conveniences to creep in. Of course, maybe that's kind of the point--that sheltering your kids from the real world doesn't keep suffering away. There's always disease, accidents, and the occasional homicidal retard.

Oh, and Ivy is a super-hottie. Way to go, Opie!

deathclock
I really enjoyed the film. Most of the people who were unhappy with it seemed to be expecting a horror movie judging from conversations I've had. The trailers were a little misleading perhaps, but there were still a few moments that made me jump. Aside from Signs, The Village was my favorite.

ariwin
'

Anyone know's seen MNS's past few films know that while they are suspensful, there's always more to them.

It's really upsetting that so many people missed the point of this movie -- i thought it was great.

xemir
Whats the point of the movie then sense you seem to be the only person who has fully comprehended it and the audience of 200 people that I saw it with boo`d at the end. If you are going to promote a movie that is made to look like a suspense creatures in the woods flick be prepared to deliver creatures in the woods not a retard stabing his blind sisters, mute boyfriends crapfest. The only horror category this movie falls under is horrible.

Bagtatta
The theatre I was in people applauded. I myself didn't though, cause clapping and shit in movie theatre's is lame.

HockeyHorror
its not lame^ thats the beauty of the art of movie making...but i didn't see the movie yet. its VERY rare for a movie to get an applause (or a decend applause)

Striel
This movie is disapointing and predictable.

Bagtatta
Well, I didn't mean full out applause. I meant just clapping like people do in movies. Didn't think anyone would actually understand it as an actual APPLAUSE, guess that's my fault for using the wrong word and assuming people will think my way.

Sorry, but to make it right. A lot of people clapped at the end. There wasn't one boo.

D_Shiznitdog
I think why most people are disappointed by The Village is that it was expected to be a scary horror film when it was more of an interesting idea. I loved The Village and thought it was done very well. By the way, does anyone know where I could find a picture of the creatures? I want to see a clear picture of them again.

SlipknoT
it was ok

Ghetto Goblin
over all i think the movie sucked, raise your hand if you agree, oooffff course you do.

xemir
bad movie, bad actors, bad plot. The whoel theater boo`d when it ended.

DenKi
The Movie was compete Crap, Worst Film ive seen this year, The Story line was rubbish, It had the worst Ending ever (Did it even End?)

Honestly can some one pelase tell what happened during this movie because it sucked so hard, So the Monsters was the people in the Village all along?? Wtf?

CRAP dont see it

SlipknoT
You actually think The Village was worse than King Arthur and Harry Potter 3?

Ghetto Goblin
all of the sudden, after i said that, every one starts to say they hate in to. now dats shvierd.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.