X-MEN and the story behind their costumes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jury Copeland
Anybody wants to discuss it here?

I'll try Nightcrawler the next time I post.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
A few weeks later, Kurt decided for a much more abrupt change. He grew a goatie, had a new haircut and his new outfit went along with his love for swashbuckling and pirate movies.

When Excalibur disbanded and Nightcrawler returned to the X-Men, he again wore the classic outfit from the days while he was a mainstay of the team.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
When Kurt fully rejoined, the X-Men no longer were wearing bright costumes, but using some leather outfits that almost look like street clothes. The members had a vast supply of different shirts, coats and jackets from which to pick.

Jury Copeland
And..

Recently, some of the team members returned to more individual looks, Nightcrawler being one of them. Though the design still goes along with the practical leather clothes theme, it now includes some silver and red elements.

VENOMfan
nice work, got any on Sabretooth?

Jury Copeland
Sabretooth..? Hmmm.

..got to find for it.

Jury Copeland
..sorry dude.. Sabretooth seemed to be NOT on my list.

smile

Twin B!tch 2
whoa... niice...

SumWatTwisted
Cool very cool

Rasta
Yea, but he looks like a pansy in that last picture.

Jury Copeland
Let's try another one...

How about.. PSYLOCKE

In early stories, Betsy Braddock had nothing representing a costume. She might have worn some standard military clothes while training with STRIKE, the British version of SHIELD, but much of that time is still shrouded in mystery.

During a time that her twin brother, Brian, was touring the world, Betsy was talked into assuming the mantle of Captain Britain, wearing a modified suit of an alternate Kaptain Briton, who had tried to rape her only several weeks before. The helmet included a wig with red, white and blue streaks of hair.

Check it out.

Jury Copeland
Psylocke proved herself during the Mutant Massacre and, afterwards, was invited to join the X-Men, who had lost several members due to injuries received during the crisis. She gladly accepted, wearing a self-designed costume.

Jury Copeland
In time, Betsy realized that she would be a liability in physical combats, which is why she replaced the outfit with a special form of body armor. Even the cape was made of some sort of chain mail.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
the popular one...

Jury Copeland
When the X-Men reunited after the events of the X-Tinction Agenda, they tried out wearing the basic X-uniforms to give them a team feeling. For several members, including Psylocke, it was the first time to wear these standard suits.

With the original five rejoining and the X-Men dividing into two strikeforces, the group returned to wearing individual uniforms. Betsy returned to her ninja looks and wore them for quite a long time.

Jury Copeland
here's the pic.. (forgot to attach)

Jury Copeland
Only when all of the team re-designed their costumes did Psylocke do so as well. Most of the other designs included a huge X across the chest, but evidently Betsy settled for something different.

Jury Copeland

Paola
Jumpy PSYLOCKE!!!!!

great info Jury!!!!!! you >>>>>>>>>>> rock

Jury Copeland
what about Havok...

Havok was given his first costume by Larry Trask after his Sentinels captured him. The strange headgear with a special gemstone in its center and special circuits in the costume limited his energy powers to a controllable degree. The pulsating circles on the chest indicate the amount of cosmic energies Havok has stored. Although Alex later learned to control his plasma blasts, he continued to wear this outfit for a very long time.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
When his powers flared up for reasons unknown, Havok was again forced to wear the black containment suit once more, though without the headgear. Fearing to accidentally harm an innocent bystander, Havok wore the suit all the time beneath his regular clothes. [X-Factor #113

Jury Copeland
Havok was eventually kidnapped by the Brotherhood and experimented on. When he next showed up, apparently brainwashed by the Dark Beast, he was wearing a modified version of his containment suit, with bulky red gloves and red shoulder straps, possibly containing some technological equipment to measure his energy output.

Jury Copeland
And...

Taking over the body of his counterpart in the Mutant X universe, Alex also found himself wearing his costume. It was a very elegant and simple, dark blue version of his containment suit, with golden belt and armbands.

Jury Copeland
forgot to attach... smile

Twin B!tch 2
you are a genious, jury

Jury Copeland
Or shall we try Remy...

When Gambit first met Storm, he wore a rather unique form-fitting costume, with the pants and sleeves colored black with stripes of magenta and the torso entirely magenta. He also wore knee-high metallic boots, fingerless gloves and a headdress and was rarely seen without a long brown trenchcoat. This outfit is most closely associated with Gambit and he has worn it for the longest time.

mysticmeg35
Do you have anymore?
zorro

Jury Copeland

Twin B!tch 2
ALL HAIL JURY!!!

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
Only when, many months later, all X-Men re-designed their costumes, Gambit too changed his costume. While most of the team chose to go with a team look, displaying a prominent X-symbol, Gambit wore only a blue-black bodysuit with some red accessories (scarf, belt with a tiny x-buckle), large metallic boots with red knee-caps and, of course, his trenchcoat and headdress.

Twin B!tch 2
praypraypraypraypraypraypraypray

Jury Copeland
When he was with the Thieves Guild or had other adventures outside the X-Men, his look was similar, though slightly more street-look with his baggier pants. However, at those times, he often also wore a shirt with a prominent X-symbol.

Jury Copeland

DarkCrawler
Jury...you got those from UncannyXmen.net, right?

Line
Wow! You're really quite an expert on this!!! So, what's your opinion on the film version of all these costumes??

DarkCrawler

Paola
great info still yes

Line
Well ... easier than writing it yourself, I suppose big grin

Clovie
big grinbig grinbig grin

is Remy smoking in one of these pics?????

and Jury...
could U give sth 'bout Rogue????
please....*is very nice*

Paola
OMG!!!! Clovie you're back!!! eek!
welcome girl smile

ScottsLover
ohh can u do cyclops for me Jury??! eek!

eristole
rogue is pretty easy actually, i'll look some up and help jury out a bit.
rogue's costumes are actually taken from memories she has absorbed.
I.E. after she absorbed carol danvers her costume went from her little
hooded deal, to a more skin tight costume. Apparently the psych of her
victims takes over a little part of her body influencing her.. since she had
absorbed Cyclops so many times her body was telling her to wear the
red glasses, which is kinda why she wears the shades now. This is what
affected her changing costumes most..

hmm i'll get some pics in here of rogue,
as for cyclops if jury doesnt get that one.. i'll help him out too.

eristole
ok here goes with rogue.. bare with me..

first appearance in x-men comics in
http://cyberspace-market.com/chrisclaremontchecklist/Uncanny-X-Men-158.jpg

uncanny 158.. she wore the simple costume green and yellow..

next she appeared in
http://cyberspace-market.com/chrisclaremontchecklist/Uncanny-X-Men-171.jpg

171 as an actual x-men recruit...

next we see her in :

http://cyberspace-market.com/chrisclaremontchecklist/Uncanny-X-Men-182.jpg

with the uniform she uses for awhile.

next we see the carol danvers personality start to take over..

http://cyberspace-market.com/chrisclaremontchecklist/Uncanny-X-Men-218.jpg

here we see it almost almost taking complete control of her..

http://cyberspace-market.com/chrisclaremontchecklist/Uncanny-X-Men-225.jpg

which leads up to the inevitable "battle" between the two again.
http://cyberspace-market.com/chrisclaremontchecklist/Uncanny-X-Men-269.jpg

i'll finish this off later i gotta head out.. i'll write it up better when i get a chance.

Jury Copeland
I think there's no question to where I got those information...

What I care is that I am sharing these interesting info to all.

And I acknowledge the Monolith and Peter Luzifer for that.

Don't bother to ask who they are - you don't know them.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Rogue's costumes... those are cool eristole...

May I try Scott's costumes... later.

Hey, Paola... great info indeed.

Jury Copeland
Here's for Cyke...

This is the standard training uniform Xavier gave the original X-Men when they joined the team. Cyclops was the first recruit and, as such, the first to wear the uniform. The earliest version of the visor had a pair of studs on the sides that Scott needed to push to open it but it was soon replaced by a model that reacted to Cyclops pressing certain contact points in his gloves.

Jury Copeland
After the team had proved themselves in battle time and again, Xavier rewarded them with the right for individual costumes. This set was again designed by Jean, whom Xavier had secretly told of this plan before. Cyclops wore this rather simple outfit for a very long time.

Jury Copeland
To infiltrate a villain organization, Cyclops came up with the cover identity of Erik the Red. Special circuits built into the helmet redirected his optic beams, making it seem as if they originated from his hands. Of course, once the organization was defeated, Cyclops returned to his actual costume, while the Erik the Red identity was later used by two opponents of the X-Men.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

DezW
Jury: GREAT WORK!!! eek! eristole you rocks too!!!! rock
and I don't know what is the problem with the copying... those infos were not so well-known, DarkCrawler! roll eyes (sarcastic)

my Nighty and his costumes... hmmm... weird but I like it! big grin

Jury Copeland
After they saved New York from Apocalypse and his Horsemen, X-Factor finally ended their charade and exposed their cover to the media. They became celebrities and a thankful designer, whom the team had rescued earlier that day, created a new look for them. The new costumes were close to the X-Terminator uniforms but the color schemes were different.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
Only a few weeks later, X-Factor rejoined the X-Men and again new costumes were in order. This is another longtime design and Cyclops wore it until he was merged with Apocalypse during the Twelve incident.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
and...

Weeks later, Xavier changed the entire look of his students. Instead of wearing bright costumes, they are now using some leather outfits that almost look like street clothes. The members have a vast supply of different shirts, coats and jackets from which to pick.

Paola
clapping

I didn't know all that, Jury!!!

great info big grin

Jury Copeland
yeah... I like them too..

that's why I'm sharing them to you.

and it's fun, isn't it?

but still someone has trying to spoil it.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
After returning from the Secret Wars, Rogue tried out another look with this brown tunic, though apparently she was not happy with the color. [Uncanny X-Men #182

Jury Copeland
Soon after, she returned to a green outfit, this one being a overall like worn by mechanics, with a black bodice or jumpsuit underneath.

Jury Copeland
Still trying to find a suiting costume, Rogue began to constantly change her outfit. Basically, she was wearing a black bodysuit, combined with several different green elements. She was seen wearing shirts of different sizes, belts, boots, gloves, a thong a mini skirt and a leather jacket in one occasion or the other. At the same time, she started to let her hair grow.

Jury Copeland
When the X-Men relocated to Australia, Rogue finally settled on one look. It was still the black bodysuit but most of it covered by a bathing suit, overknee boots and long sleeves, all colored green.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
During a time the Carol Danvers personality had taken control of the body, she made Rogue wear her Ms. Marvel costume. When Rogue again gained dominance, in the middle of a battle, she was less than happy with the costume, finding it unacceptable.

Jury Copeland

Paola
pay no attention no my Remy & Rogue thread is full of info from another site yes

also my Psylocke thread yes

this is a wonderful thread, Jury..... with great info and pics..... noone's gonna spoil it
*pulls out shotgun* evil face

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Paola
great!!! big grin

Jury Copeland
Thanks Pao. cool

Paola
big grin

Jury Copeland
Hmm.. anybody cares for Storm's costumes?

Paola
eek! Kes does!!!!

Jury Copeland
Here.... (this is quite long)

The costume given to Storm when she joined the X-Men basically consisted of a bikini suit held together by a gold ring, thigh-high boots and a mix between a cape and a poncho with gold trimming covering her upper arms and fastened to her back and her gold bracelets. Her own additions were the tiara she used to wear in Kenya and the ruby gemstone given to her by her mother (or a facsimile thereof) which was used as a brooch to hold together the cape. This was considered one of the definitive Storm looks, although certain elements of the outfit quickly grew dated.

Jury Copeland
After an extended stay in space, Storm changed. Egged on by Yukio during a stay in Tokyo that change also manifested in her look. Having become tougher, Storm had cut off her hair to a short Mohawk and wore a punk outfit, consisting of leatherpants, a tight shirt and boots, matched with the vest she won from Callisto as a symbol of her leadership of the Morlocks. The ensemble was complete with strong eye-make-up and she also took to wearing different kinds of earrings with her uniform, the lightning bolt earrings eventually becoming a standard part of her outfit.

Jury Copeland
After Storm regained her powers, she adopted a look that combined elements of both her previous incarnations: a longsleeved black-leather suit with a lightning bolt motif on her chest, combined with a cape that was split in two parts at the back- similar to her old cape. Her hairstyle was also a combination of her previous looks. While it was long again, her head was still shaved at the sides.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
However, she soon switched again to the basic X-uniform worn by all her teammates at the time, to give them a team feeling.

Jury Copeland
The original five X-Men rejoining and the group splitting into two strikeforces marked the return of individual uniforms. Her hair grown back at an impossibly fast rate, Storm took to wearing another long-sleeved black leather suit, similar to the one worn in the outback, though without the lightning bolt motif. Her cape was attached in front with two X-symbols encircled in red. She wore the outfit for a long time and it is probably her best-known look.

Jury Copeland
After a grueling adventure with the Morlocks, Storm decided she needed a new more stylish look: She cut her hair to chin length, keeping a longer strand of hair in front of each side. She wore a tight top that left her mid-riff and shoulders free. Attached were two ribbons instead if a cape that could be connected to her bracelets. This was combined with long low-cut pants and clunky boots. The combination was first presented in black and gold, but she quickly switched to a purple/silver combination. After her hair grew back, she combined the look with her classic tiara and some time after removed the ribbons.

(with 2 pictures)

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
Shortly before the Twelve saga, Storm opted for a more classical look: a bodysuit that left her shoulder and arms free and had a low neck with a ruby ornament. Her cape, trimmed with gold, was connected to the outfit with a lightning bolt motif that covered her upper arms and was held together by the ruby gemstone. In addition, she wore a sash with tiny lightning bolts. She wore that outfit both in two color schemes - purple and black/gold.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
cool

Jury Copeland
i'll try the multiple man...

As a child, Jamie began wearing this green containment suit with several metallic, golden straps and control elements all over it. Though he later was no longer forced to wear the suit all the time, Jamie continued to wear it as a costume.

Jury Copeland
Following an invitation from Val Cooper, Jamie joined the governmentally sanctioned X-Factor. Although the team look was optional, Multiple Man wore an outfit in the team colors of blue and gold. Basically, his was a blue full body suit with several pads and straps on it. On the forehead of his mask/hood, there was a huge X. Jamie often wore a trenchcoat over his costume.

Jury Copeland
Eventually, the costume was slightly redesigned, a golden belt was added while several of the other metallic elements were changed in color. The biggest change was the new logo on chest area, sporting a number of circles, connected to each other.

While on Genosha, Jamie was wearing a version of his original containment suit, only this time it was colored blue instead of green.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
Hmmm... What about Kurt's girl, Kitty...

When Kitty started training at the school she was given a basic X-uniform, like most new X-Men that were still inexperienced in the use of their powers.

Jury Copeland

DezW
muhaha I've a pic of this costume... and Kurt's opinion big grin

Paola
laughing out loud

Jury Copeland
that's funny Dez laughing out loud

i should continue then...

When the X-Men returned from space, Xavier wanted to place Kitty in the New Mutants. Only after she proved herself capable of handling herself she was allowed to stay among the X-Men. With that, also came the right for an individual costume. The outfit presented here is the first of several others she briefly tried out during that phase, until she left the team after Colossus broke up their relationship.

Jury Copeland
After encountering Ogun in Japan and receiving ninja training, Kitty returned to the X-men with a new codename, Shadowcat, and finally settled on a permanent look. The blue outfit is the costume she wore longest.

Jury Copeland
At a time when Excalibur was down to only three members and everyone of them, besides Kitty, no longer wearing the costume of when they formed the team, Kitty decided it was time for a new look. The outfit contains several pockets filled with gadgets and weapons.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
Recently, Kitty decided to quit the X-Men and, therefore, no longer wears any form of costume.

Jury Copeland
That's all for now...

Let's do some checklist of what has already done here.

Nightcrawler
Psylocke
Havok
Gambit
Cyclops
Rogue
Storm
Multiple Man
Shadowcat

I'll try for some other X-Men next time.

cool

eristole
pao. i'm dr5ukk and i love you.
i'll prollyu refert this tomorrow but you are the best perhaps person i have ever seen in reference to ex-man comics;.
i hope i dont read this rtomorrow cuz i'm gonna regret it.
but dude eept it up cuz you rock.. i am just a shadow in the golry iof your wake ..

Jury Copeland

eristole
i meant cjury i mussed have. jury your the best keep posting man.

Jury Copeland
Shortly after the X-Men returned from the Secret Wars, Colossus decided to try out a new look.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
When the team was living in the Australian outback, Colossus just wore pants, boots and two armbands, all made out of some metallic substance.

Long months later, when the X-Men divided into two strikeforces, Colossus once more wore the original uniform.

VENOMfan
sorry to break up the flow but hat's this? cool looking non the less

eristole
that is wehn collussos joined magneto
he and all of avelon were required to wear that uniform..

eristole
avelon is magneto's asteroid thing.

Jury Copeland

VENOMfan
damn that one was cool, he should have stuck with it

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
the one with the cape?

yeah... i like him in that way.

Jury Copeland
I'll do this batch by batch. And Colossus would be the last for Batch 1.

I'll start Batch 2 with the Polaris. What do you think?

(Coming next batch: Rachel Summers, Bobby Drake, beast, and more)

Paola
no expression you say that 'cause you haven't seen my pic blink

but I love you too!!! big grin

and of course I quoted it so you can read what you wrote yes evil face

eristole
thanks pao. i really like being able to look at posts and see how stupid i look when i am drunk.. come to think of it i'm about that stupid when i'm not drunk i can just type a little better.. hmm..
*blushes* *runs away*

Paola
hehehe silly eristole laughing

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Paola
clap Polaris!!!!

Jury Copeland
cool

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland
Polaris (7th of 12)
A psychological session with super-hero psychiatrist Leonard Samson revealed that Lorna had problems with finding herself attractive. Still, after months of dieting she had lost enough weight to show a little confidence by wearing this revealing costume that she had herself designed.

Jury Copeland
Polaris (8th of 12)

The government found the red and gold outfit too provocative and subversive, which is why they asked Polaris to stop wearing it. Instead, they gave her a new outfit that was a mix between the team look and her own creation.

Jury Copeland
Polaris (9th of 12)

One by one, X-Factor fell apart and the new members that joined no longer wore any team uniforms. Havok too had to ditch his outfit to once more wear his containment suit, as his powers were flaring up, Lorna too started to wear an individual costume.

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

Jury Copeland

DeJa_Vu
you got any of jubilee??

Twin B!tch 2
jury dear, could you do the same with my precious chamber? *puppy eyes*

Paola
Jumpy do Rachel!!! do Rachel!!!

Garax
Sorry to ruin the fun... These rule... But surely do Wolverine lol!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>