Out Of Interest...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ahnold
Hi all,

I was just wondering something. Do you remember Irma Bunt, the evil Blofeld henchwoman that notoriously survived OHMSS? Sadly, the actress who played her died shortly after the film was released.

Do any of you know whether the producers were planning to include her in DAF before her death?

Ahnold

yerssot
from what I heard, not really... if the original idea of placing the wedding in DAF was kept, I take it would make sense, but now that the only revange is in the pre-title sequence, it won't make sense

Reborn Again
However when Sean Connery came back in DAF he didn't appear all too angry or revengeful against Blofeld killing his wife IMO. If only the movie had the tenacity of Timothy Dalton's Bond of LTK, then the movie would have been a hell of a lot better. Instead DAF was yet another Bond vs Blofeld, beat-me-if-you-can film.

Ahnold
I agree. When I first saw it, during the pre-credits sequence I thought "Cool - Bond's out for revenge!". But then, he seemed to give up on that idea pretty quickly...

yerssot
see, the marriage should have been in the other movie stick out tongue

Reborn Again
They should have cont with the idea. They need to bring back Blofeld for an explosive death. I liked the pre-title sequence of FYEO, however I thought Blofeld's death was too quick. They should clone him.

phinney6
Personally if the marriage was in DAF, DAF would be my favorite. DAF is right up there with FRWL to me though

yerssot
actually RA... did he die? isn't it another baldie? wink

well, it would be better if it was in another movie, now he gets married and she gets immediatly killed

Ahnold
But otherwise, most people would have walked out of OHMSS with their fingers in their mouths...

yerssot
I don't think they need help to throw up when they watched the movie stick out tongue

Ahnold
Also, killing off Tracy in DAF would've seemed like an afterthought; a quickie solution to how to get rid of the "wife problem". Coming where it does, I think it's really sad and poignant...

yerssot
not really... if they showed there were some years in between or not kill her off immediatly at the start (like... get her shot and let her die as last scene in the movie as sad note)

cause now in LTK, it's weird he doesn't accept that thing (what's it called in english?) from the bride just cause he was married for 5 minutes

Ahnold
But yerss, even if they showed that some years had passed between OHMSS and DAF, from the audience's POV, it would've seemed like a quickie death. And if, as you suggest, they chose not to kill her off right at the start of the film, then DAF would've been bogged down with a storyline that really should've been wrapped up in OHMSS...

And btw, that "thing" is called a lace garter. And so what if he was married for only 5 minutes? The point is, he LOVED her enough to get married, and so of course even small references to her {such as in TSWLM and LTK} will upset JB...

yerssot
yeah, but they got married and in the same movie a few minutes later already, she got killed. It's like they say "hey, lets marry him, would be unexpected!" and another one saying "oh no! what have we done! quick! get her killed!"

I wouldn't mind if they changed it totally, and got a totally new storyline for DAF if only they kept her death for that movie

and I believe that no matter what, it will always appear to some as a quickie death... that or he had to be married for some movies, rejecting all those girls

Ahnold
I realise that, wherever the death came {whether at the end of OHMSS, or at the beginning of DAF} it would always be seen as a quickie death {so that Bond could be free to resume his womanising}. But I think that, coming where it does, her death is perhaps a bigger, sadder twist than it would have been had it come in DAF...

I realise that we're drifting slightly off topic here. The original question was - were the producers planning to include Irma Bunt in DAF before she sadly passed away after filming OHMSS?

yerssot
yeah, better get it back on topic big grin

still haven't heard anything about it

Ahnold
Has anyone?

yerssot
considering the timing of this all, I doubt we'll ever hear of it

Ahnold
Perhaps not ...

yerssot
or does someone know the broccolis personally stick out tongue

Ahnold
BUMP!

I suddenly remembered this golden oldie a few days ago; any thoughts? To recap the cental question:

Originally posted by Ahnold
I was just wondering something. Do you remember Irma Bunt, the evil Blofeld henchwoman that notoriously survived OHMSS? Sadly, the actress who played her died shortly after the film was released.

Do any of you know whether the producers were planning to include her in DAF before her death?

Ahnold

yerssot
I haven't heard of it anymore, but since she survived and DAF is purely revenge, it would have made sense smile

Ahnold
I suspected as much, yerss; does anyone know for sure?

yerssot
I doubt it, it's just you, me and clovs lately

Ahnold
Hmmm ... let me do a bit of research then ...

yerssot
to get people to post here you mean?

Ahnold
According to IMDB, Ilse Steppat, who played Irma Bunt, died on December 22, 1969, just four days after the film's release. Somehow I doubt that the producers had come up with a proper storyline for "DAF" by that point ...

Curious; I wonder why they never recast the role of Bunt? A mark of respect for the actress, perhaps {ala Bernard Lee not being recast for "for your eyes only"}?

Completely OT question: according to "universal exports.com" {where I researched this issue}, "OHMSS" was originally planned as the last JB film; is that true??? I've never heard that; and if it IS true, then why put "James Bond Will Return In "Diamonds Are Forever"" in the end credits?

yerssot
or they just completely forgot her character?

no, I heard that Lazenby thought it would be the last since it would never last in the 70's messed

Ahnold
In interviews, Lazenby has said that it was his peers who convinced him of that particular POV. Just an excuse to cover up his own mistaken views, perhaps?

But then again ... how could anyone have known back in 1969 how phenomenally successful {and enduring} the JB franchise would turn out to be?

yerssot
I thought FRWL and Goldfinger were quite succesfull, so why would people think that?

Ahnold
But how could people know that Bond would last THIS long? Isn't this the longest running movie franchise in history? Even a couple of phenomenally successful movies like FRWL and Goldifinger couldn't make people think that!

yerssot
yes, it is... it's just the classical mix of humor, action, cars and girls ... not always in that order

Ahnold
But still ... even Ian Fleming couldn't have known his creation would last this long ...

But let's get back on track. Does anyone have a proper answer to this question?

Ahnold
Curious; I wonder why they never recast the role of Bunt? A mark of respect for the actress, perhaps {ala Bernard Lee not being recast for "for your eyes only"}?

Any thoughts?

Ahnold
Originally posted by yerssot
To get people to post here you mean?

Why do you ask? SHOULD I be doing research into this stick out tongue ?

yerssot
yes, cause you said you would stick out tongue

Ahnold
Um ... no I didn't. I said I'd do research into this thread's central question ... and I did.

But honestly, yerss; JB isn't the only film in existence that mixes girls, guns, and gadgets; why have none of THEM become so successful? For instance, can you see the Jason Bourne series of films being around in 40 years time?

Tell ya what - if it is, I'll buy ya a beer stick out tongue . Presuming that we're both still here that far down the line ...

yerssot
well, I'm sure you would have left and returned five hundred times by then stick out tongue

I think it's cause it was there first and it has nice one liners...

Ahnold
Well, I'm sure you would have left and returned five hundred times by then stick out tongue

I think it's cause it was there first - and it has nice one liners ...

500?! C'mon! Give me some credit! 900 at least stick out tongue ; but seriously ... I hope that those indecisive coming and going days of yore are behind me ...

Of course, it's not the only movie series to have great one liners; but you're right - I suppose being there first may have helped its phenomenal success ...

Let's return to topic, eh?

yerssot
yes, cause imagine when you are president and still have that behavior
one day you invade a country, the next day you retreat stick out tongue

especially if they were the first to go into sexual explicit things eek!

Ahnold
Imagine when you are president, and still have that behaviour;
one day you invade a country, the next day you retreat stick out tongue

Especially if they were the first to go into sexual explicit things eek!

How true! In dat case, duh USA and Califohrnia are doomed when I inevitably become duh president stick out tongue !

Was JB really the first film series to do that? Are you sure?

We really should get back on topic here ...

yerssot
only those? you miss out on all the other countries that shall tremble when yuo are the worldleader stick out tongue

as very first... I wouldn't know, but they were the very first to include very sexualy colored scenes. The Honeyrider one was for the time being over the top and that other girl doing her stockings off was even considered being cut cause it was so indecent

Ahnold
BUMP ...

Well hey ... what did you expect? Since I haven't been here in months, I HAVE to bump up some of these posts! Apologies for dragging up old issues like this one, but I'd like to lay some of them to rest at last ...

Only those? You missed out on all the other countries that shall tremble when you are the worldleader stick out tongue

As for being the very first... I wouldn't know, but they WERE the very first to include very sexually coloured scenes. The honey rider one was being over the top for the time, and that other girl taking her stockings off was even considered being cut 'cause it was so indecent.

Ah, of course - how could I forget my planned, eventual world domination {which you're not really supposed to know about, so keep it under your hat from now on, eh wink }? Tremble before me oh lowly KMC mortals king !!!

{Pause}

{Quietly} Please tremble before me. Pretty please stick out tongue ?

And that's interesting about the way that JB effectively changed cinema in terms of moviemakers' attitudes to sex. Cheers for that, yerss ...

Ahnold
Hi all,

Ahnold

It appears that finally - 18 months after this query was first posted by myself - this thread can finally be put to bed. For it appears that our forum's very own fountain of knowledge - the one and only, good ol' reliable yerssot - has come up with an answer {or at least a partial one} eek! ! I hope he won't mind me doing this, but for the sake of anyone who was wondering about this issue like I did, I am reproducing below the answer to this long-standing query that was posted by yerssot to another thread {the "Why Didn't Bond Go After Irma Bunt?" one ... gosh, talk about being on the same wavelength smile }:

They were going to do it, it was planned... DAF starts with Bond killing SPECTRE agents and that stayed but originally he was looking for her, yes...

Only problem is: the woman that played her died a month or two later due to a heartattack so they cancelled the plans.

Geez yerss - I wish you would've posted that response to this thread, even if you DID only discover this information recently. Would have certainly saved me a lot of unnecessary curiosity stick out tongue . But well done on finally finding out this information. Kudos to you, sir; kudos ...

Ahnold
Though yerssot has done an excellent job, I suppose that we will never find out the full answer to this question; after all, the actress playing Bunt {Ilse Steppat} died so soon after "OHMSS" was released that the producers couldn't have possibly had time to come up with a fully formed plot outline for "DAF" that included Bunt. And it makes perfect sense, given what yerssot has said, for them not to recast the role. Aside from perhaps not doing so as a mark of respect to Mrs. Steppat, re-casting the role might well have confused viewers, especially if Bunt would have only made a brief appearance in "DAF"; bearing in mind that most viewers were proabably not that familiar with the character anyway, casting another actress in the role would've just meant more time wasted explaining just who this woman is ...

It makes you think, though - wouldn't it have been strange to see Irma Bunt disposed of so unceremoniously within the first five minutes of "DAF", as yerssot suggests the case would have been? I mean, c'mon - this is the woman who murdered James Bond's wife ! They surely couldn't let her off the hook so easily! Had the actress still been alive, they really should have kept her on as a major villaness for "DAF" as well ...

As it stands, though, Bunt's absence from "DAF" only serves to increase her notoriety. After all, she's not only the woman who murdered James Bond's wife, but the person who got away with it too. And for that reason, she'll always have an enduring legacy; yes sireee - no stoopid death by chimney stack for THIS member of SPECTRE stick out tongue ...

yerssot
Well, I think if you ask the casual Bond-observer about who killed his wife, they'll alway say Spectre... The possibility that regular viewers wouldn't get why he wants to kill that woman are high and possibly after her dieing in RL they just thought it wasn't worth the effort to make anything out of it and just let it go and focus on Blofeld again? The main, big, bald villain?

And that's interesting about the way that JB effectively changed cinema in terms of moviemakers' attitudes to sex. Cheers for that, yerss ...
I can do quivering from the cold but that's about it stick out tongue
Thanks, I just ripped it off the DVDs but I'll gladly take credit for it wink

well, I do need to have some tidbits that will make you come back again and again to check up on things wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.