Spin has just officially commited a crime

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Revan
Alright... So for some reason I keep getting Spin magazine, even though to the best of my knowledge I'm not subscribed to it. Now, I've never been a big fan of it... But this just sucks. They published a list of the 50 greatest rock frontmen of all time. Guess what?

-No Jon Davis
-No Serj Tankian
-Courtney Love is above Kurt Cobain blink
even though one of the criteria is sex appeal sick
-Gwen Stefani is on the list
-They spelled Zack de la Rocha's name wrong ("Zach"wink
-The guy from the Darkness made the list confused
-And worst of all... *dramatic music playing* No Keenan!!!!!!!

So... the complete list is as follows:

Prince
Mick Jagger
Robert Plant
James Brown
Jimi Hendrix
Elvis Presley
Axl Rose
David Lee Roth
David Bowie
Bono
Freddie Mercury
Iggy Pop
Little Richard
Perry Farrell
Johnny Rotten
Joey Ramone
Morrissey
Courtney Love
Jim Morrison
Karen O
Ozzy Osbourne
Kurt Cobain
Steven Tyler
Henry Rollins
"Zach" (Zack) de la Rocha
Joe Strummer
Bryan Ferry
Bruce Springsteen
Paul "HR" Hudson
Jello Biafra
Sly Stone
Trent Reznor
Joan Jett
Howlin' Pelle Almqvist
Justin Hawkins
Marilyn Manson
Elvis Costello
Deborah Harry
Chuck D
Chris Cornell
Patti Smith
Lux Interior
Roger Daltrey
Chrissie Hynde
Robert Pollard
Gwen Stefani
Gibby Haynes
Jack White
Liam gallagher
Glenn Danzig

HockeyHorror
magazines are just as bad as the bull shit on tv and radio. courtney love above kurt cobain...thats not right...confused

Darth Revan
yes ^agree

HockeyHorror
saying courtney love is better than kurt cobain..

is like saying

50 cent is a better rapper than my 4 year old cousin...

Darth Revan
laughing

Arachnoidfreak
Courtney Love above Cobain!?!?!?!?!

This is it guys. It's the Apocalypse. Hold me.blowup

Darth Revan
fear noOOOoooooOOOo!!!

laughing

Victor Von Doom
Why wouldn't Justin Hawkins make the list? He is a great frontman even if you don't like the music.

It's a bit wayward though, but then, no one's fifty is the same as anyone else's.

Jason Wyngarde
i hate music magazines they think their opinion is fact. did see that horse pile of a show that blender magazine put vh1? they talk bad about people yet they have a shit magazine that most people have never heard of.

amity75
No Michael Stipe?

Darth Revan
People who deserve to be there:

Prince
Mick Jagger
Robert Plant
James Brown
Jimi Hendrix
Elvis Presley
Axl Rose
David Lee Roth
David Bowie
Bono
Freddie Mercury
Iggy Pop
Little Richard
Perry Farrell
Johnny Rotten
Joey Ramone
Morrissey
Jim Morrison
Ozzy Osbourne
Kurt Cobain
Steven Tyler
Zack de la Rocha
Jello Biafra
Trent Reznor
Marilyn Manson
Elvis Costello
Chris Cornell

People who should be there but aren't:

Maynard James Keenan (Tool, APC)
Serj Tankian (SOAD)
Jon Davis (Korn)

People who should be either higher or lower in the list:

Jimi Hendrix (higher)
Elvis Presley (higher)
Axl Rose (lower)
David Lee Roth (lower)
Iggy Pop (lower)
Perry Farrell (higher)
Ozzy Osbourne (higher)
Kurt Cobain (higher)
Steven Tyler (higher)
Zack de la Rocha (higher)
Trent Reznor (higher... much higher)
Marilyn Manson (higher)
Chris Cornell (lower)

People who don't deserve to be there at all:

Courtney Love
Gwen Stefani
Jack White
Howlin' Pelle Almqvist
Justin Hawkins (the Darkness)

People I don't know/am not sure about:

Karen O
Henry Rollins
Joe Strummer
Bryan Ferry
Paul "HR" Hudson
Sly Stone
Joan Jett
Deborah Harry
Chuck D
Lux Interior
Roger Daltrey
Chrissie Hynde
Robert Pollard
Gibby Haynes
Liam gallagher
Glenn Danzig

Jason Wyngarde
Courtney Love
Gwen Stefani
Jack White
Howlin' Pelle Almqvist
Justin Hawkins (the Darkness <agree
Axl Rose (lower)
David Lee Roth (lower < disagree they were about right

Darth Revan
Personally I think Axl and David Lee Roth are overrated... But that's just me.

Jason Wyngarde
we all have are thoughts. i think people would like axl better if he could have kept the original band together. dave doesnt have the best voice but the man is incredible on stage.

Darth Revan
Very true.

IMO it wasn't Axl's fault that the band split... I mean, Slash nearly died at least once... He NEEDED to get out of the band, and I for one am glad he did... Not because I'm glad GNR are no more, because I like GNR, but because I would have hated to see him go. Axl isn't by any means bad, I just think people give him too much credit.

Jason Wyngarde
i think slash is underated as a guitarist

Darth Revan
I agree

Jason Wyngarde
how the hell did the dude from the darkness get on the list?
Courtney Love
Gwen Stefani
Jack White
Howlin' Pelle Almqvist these people should not be on here at all

Darth Revan
Because Spin is an evil publication... They love the White Stripes for some reason. IMO some of them were just in the list to sell magazines erm

PrefectRonnykin
Karen O is above Ozzy

what the fuk are they smoking?

Darth Revan
who the hell is this Karen O, anyways? blink

finti
Roger Daltrey as a front man iof The Who over Pete Townshend, hmm they dont know what they are talking about.
Joe Strummer was the frontman for The Clash and should be rated higher, Good to see none of the Purple members were on the list as they were more of a band whith huge induvidual egos rather than to have a front man. Ritchie Blacmore was a huge frontman for Rainbow
and where is the little elf with the hugest ego of all DIO

tabby999
slash has died four times from heroin overdoses

finti
must be divine resurect all the time then

Darth Revan
Whoa I didn't realize it happened more than once blink

Jason Wyngarde
he should fight crime.lol

ElectricBugaloo
When I saw the list after getting the magazine, I got angry. PRince at number one? Ahead of Mick Jagger??

Prince might make the top 10, but if he does, it's only just.

THere was no Scott Weiland, no Eddie Veddar (who was an excellent front man no matter your opinion on Pearl Jam), and no ALICE COOPER. Alice Cooper's stage show is legendary and to this day has not been topped. I still can't believe Spin's ass kissery of Prince, The White STripes, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, etc. I'm just somewhat surprised that Spin didn't put the singer of The Strokes on the cover because they love him so much.

Jason Wyngarde
i call a boycott of spin.

Victor Von Doom
Prince and The White Stripes are great though.

It's just opinion at the end of the day: made a fun thread.

Darth Revan
Oh yeah, I forgot about those guys...

Prince is good but he's not the best frontman EVER... Funny how on the cover, it says "50 greatest frontmen of all time: Prince, Bono, Axle, and more!", like they're trying to get somebody to buy the magazine based on the fact that they like U2 or GNR roll eyes (sarcastic)

"Whoa, they put Axl on the cover of the magazine! These guys rock! And the White Stripes are an awesome band, because Spin said so, and Spin likes GNR!"

Deathblow
I can't believe MJ Keenan didn't get on there confused I'm not suprised Jon isnt on there, the media despise Korn.

Serj should definitely be on there, along with Daryl Palumbo, Lajon Witherspoon, Max Cavalera...

where the hell is Frank Black?

Darth Revan
Oh and another thing... The cover proclaims "The Hives: the best live band on the planet". WTF? What about the Stones, or Tool, or Nirvana, or Metallica, or Alice Cooper...?

ElectricBugaloo
I think they mean of the moment, and I heard that THe Hives' shows are actually very very good

Deathblow
The Hives are ok live. Thats it, ok. They didn't exite me particularly.

Slayer/Machine Head/Killswitch Engage/Morbid Angel/Sepultura/Shadows Fall/Deftones/Slipknot/Glassjaw/System Of A Down/Metallica/Static X....but The Hives no.

finti
me neither, the singer has too much Jagger in his performance. It just got too much of it, they play very good though, but Almqvist was just too much Jagger in all his moves, became a turn off

Darth Revan
Even if they do mean of the moment, there are still better live bands out there wink

Victor Von Doom
They just stick whoever is going to sell on the front though.

Look at Kerrang!, it has some lame people on the cover.

Alpha Centauri
"People who don't deserve to be there at all:

Courtney Love
Gwen Stefani
Jack White
Howlin' Pelle Almqvist
Justin Hawkins (the Darkness)"

I believe the bottom 3 deserve to be in there more than most of the people. Jack White and Justin Hawkins especially as they are both amazing guitarists and one of them makes the whole sound of a band aside from drums, by himself. Not to mention they are both great singers which is the main focus. I was never a fan of Bono AT all. Never. But I respect that some people are.

Great thread.

Deathblow
Sorry to repeat myself, but

where the hell is Frank Black? confused

Alpha Centauri
Not there it would seem.

-AC

Mr Zero
I could add at least 10 people to that list,

They put those things together and throw in some curve balls just to piss you off and get you talking: and lookie, it works.

Alpha Centauri
I don't read Spin so it wouldn't have bothered me either way.

But this is a forum and we're discussing not so much the Spin list but the possibilities of how we'd change it.

-AC

Darth Revan
Serj, Keenan, Frank Black, and I think Jon Davis should all be there...

Tex
You're kidding right? eek!

Alpha Centauri
Agreed. Jon Davis will be nowhere near those but he's in there.

-AC

Darth Revan
Oh right... the girl from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Many apologies, o mighty Tex.

lil bitchiness
What the bloody hell?! Not only is there no Maynard but no Serj Tankian?? I mean come on! His voice is...absolutely amazing!

And holly crap theres no Cedric Zavala on there.

Thats possibly the worst list EVER!

Alpha Centauri
If Mike Patton wasn't in the top 5 it's invalid to me.

-AC

lil bitchiness
Not having Maynard or Serj automatically makes it absolutely invalid.

Deathblow
I'm a huge fan of Chuck D, but since when have Public Enemy been a rock band?

I'm still confused as to how this list could leave out Maynard, Chino Moreno, Max Cavalera and Phil Anselmo. And Billy Corgan. And James Hetfield. And Lajon Witherspoon. And Layne Staley. Jesus, Marilyn Manson but not Layne Staley. Thats ****ing blasphemy.

Biafra should be about 10 places higher. Reznor and Cornell about 20.

tabby999
no Bon Scott from AC/DC is pretty piss poor too

D-Double
How the hell did the dude from the Darkness make the cut?....

....He's been on the scene for like five minutes!...... blink

...I'm confused why Courtney is up there....maybe they gave her the crazy crack-head factor....

....Spin is retarded.

hh?
laughing how the **** did Chuck D make the list.

he's pure hip hop

Alpha Centauri
"Not having Maynard or Serj automatically makes it absolutely invalid."

Well there'd be no Serj, Boyd, Manson, Palumbo or many others without Patton. Soo.....

-AC

Darth Revan
Hey, nobody's disagreeing with you, just adding to your reasoning for the list being invalid stick out tongue

Maybe they just put Courtney and Chuck on there to have a chick and a black guy, which automatically makes it more diverse, politically correct, and promotes equality for all people no expression

D-Double
^ I was about to say that, then I say Jimi....

....But I guess he kinda transcends color......All Hail Hendrix! *bow*

Sex Pistol
I agree that Kurt should have been higher than Courtney, but i am very ashamed to see that you dont know who these people are. Joe Strummer was the front man for the Clash (a music fan would know that), Liam Gallagher is the front man from Oasis, Debby Harry is from Blondie! How in Fecks name didnt you know this!?

Deathblow
No, I reckon a good deal of them would probably still be around. I doubt that they would never become vocalists just because Patton wasn't there for them to base a particular style on. Talent is talent, and they would still have it regardless of Patton's influences.

Just a thought.

Bierbommetje
It says people I don't know/am not sure about

Alpha Centauri
"No, I reckon a good deal of them would probably still be around. I doubt that they would never become vocalists just because Patton wasn't there for them to base a particular style on. Talent is talent, and they would still have it regardless of Patton's influences."

Serj Tankien became a vocalist and based his entire "unique" style on one Faith No More song. Brandon Boyd was planning to be a DJ until he heard "Carousel" by Mr.Bungle and Manson has had so many actual song rip offs of Faith No More that it's sickening. As for Palumbo, I think the Head Automatica album "Decadence" (vocally and musically) is one of the most innovative albums of recent times and even that is a complete (according to Dan Nakamura) rip off/"based" on a 15 year old Faith No More album. Lostprophets, Papa Roach, Glassjaw, they all have Patton-born elements in their albums and each of them cite Patton and/or his bands as one of the main influences.

Mike Patton has put out more albums on his own, with his bands and with his musical associates than most bands back catalogues. Almost all of them excellent or above.

So I think it's safe to say that my point still holds water.

-AC

Deathblow
Yeah I know where Serj's style came from. And Decadence may have been a FNM 'rip-off' musically, but personally, I can't hear Patton's influence in Palumbo's vocals. I may be missing something though.

I'm not arguing with your point about Patton inspiring the vocal styles of many, but like I said, even if he never became big, talent is talent. I'm sure many of the artists inspired by his style would still exist today (discounting your above examples). They would almost certainly be different, but who knows, maybe if Patton never exsisted, we'd right now be talking about how many vocalists have ripped-off Serj Tankian's style.

I just think that it's slightly unfair to say that so many of todays rock vocalists would be nothing without copying another artist. There's a line between influence and complete dependence.

Alpha Centauri
When I say they wouldn't be around I don't mean literally I just mean they would in no way be as revered for their vocal talents had they not based them on Patton. Personally I think the way Serj sings now is the only way I could tolerate him singing because of his voice being suited to just that style which is great, as is he. As for Palumbo etc, the melody in their voices is where Patton's influence comes in the most. Vocal talent is one place that Patton influences, there are many more. He has not only, within his bands, created and invented genres but proved he can dip into every single genre already existing and sing to the highest degree in its style. Alot of bands take that too when they try to have that sort of broad epicness.

I don't think it's easy to see why Patton/His bands are as influencial and great as I say they are unless you're into them extensively.

-AC

Darth Revan
I don't listen to the Clash, Oasis, and Blondie, that's how.

Wolf Dog
Um, I might be wrong, but im pretty sure that you spell Rocha's name with ZaCH instead of Zack.

Darth Revan
Nope, it's spelled with a "k" at the end.

Sex Pistol
Inever listen to oasis, but i know who the frontman is, its just commen sense.

el_barto
WHERE THE HELL IS ROGER DALTREY ON THAT LIST! THIS IS BLASSPHEMEY

Sex Pistol
Yeah and where's Matt Bellamy, Pete Doherty, Carl Barat, er was Steven Tyler on it?

Anyway, where's John Lennon?

peejay88
Roger Daltrey, Steven Tyler and Michael Stipe ain't there and Bruce Springsteen is below a LOT of acts that couldnt string up his guitar. Ah well shows what magazines know when NME called Morrissey racist for wrapping himself in a british union jack flag, yet when Pete Doherty did it at Live 8, nobody batted an eye lid! ( BTW, i'm not accusing Pete Doherty of being racist, i'm just showing how cheap certain Magazines are for being very hypocritical) Crazy! And now NME have the audacity to call Morrissey a Legend and a great British musician and big him up, hypocrites.

P.S. I realise that the Morrissey song about a national front disco also had something to do with these daft claims in NME but come on, look up the lyrics! Morrissey is not a racist. LOL, I seem to have gone slightly off-topic, but you get my point! eek!

^Oh yeah erm maybe they decided John Lennon was not a front man, just part of a band, maybe Jon Bon Jovi should be there??!!

Darth Revan
Augh... Bon Jovi... I'd gouge my eyes out if he were on that list.

Korri
Originally posted by Deathblow
I'm a huge fan of Chuck D, but since when have Public Enemy been a rock band?

I'm still confused as to how this list could leave out Maynard, Chino Moreno, Max Cavalera and Phil Anselmo. And Billy Corgan. And James Hetfield. And Lajon Witherspoon. And Layne Staley. Jesus, Marilyn Manson but not Layne Staley. Thats ****ing blasphemy.

Biafra should be about 10 places higher. Reznor and Cornell about 20.

you know what, you know just ****ing what.

They can Spin on it no expression.

peejay88
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Augh... Bon Jovi... I'd gouge my eyes out if he were on that list.

I would but he's immensly popular, and apparently has a fair bit of charisma LOL.

LiveAndLetDie
Prince over Robert Plant..now I`ve seen everything
As for GN'R, Axl is a great frontman. Slash quit the band because Axl wanted to make the band`s sound more industrial (ew) and Slash didn`t agree with it, so he quit. Duff quit not long after that for a reason unknown to me (I think it was for a similar reason).
Slash is underrated as a guitarest. As is Duff as a bass. People seem to pay for attention to the bands reputation rather than their playing abilities. But like I said, Axl is a great frontmen

RagnaViper
Spin's made worse crap. Have you all seen their greatest metal albums list? Complete and total sacrilege.

Anyway, any greatest frontman list that lacks Mike Motherfunking Patton should be burned along with its creator. Just putting that out there.

The Highlord
Bon Jovi should be on that list, comon have seen some video of his awesome concerts? I know Live And et die will back me up on that one, specialy I love the live from London Wembly stadium show, thats just great.

SlipknoT
I can Honestly think of about 200 people who deserve to be on that list before Bon Jovi

The Highlord
Ya right, hell your a Jersey havint you seen Bon jovi play live in Giants stadium? I hope to see them play there one day big grin

SlipknoT
Actually yea my Uncle took me to a concert when I was about 5 if i remember correctly embarrasment Dunno if it was Giants Stadium though

Lana
Bon Jovi on a list like that?

Yeah, let's just ruin music some more.

Red Superfly
Where's Richard Cheese? I demand Richard Cheese on this list! eek!

This list is a bit odd. It seems to have been done from a "memory like a goldfish" perspective. Jack White and Justin Hawkins have every right to be there (especially White who I would have on MY list any day of the week). But there seems to be a lot of dumbing down.

There's no context to the list. This list is nowhere near a "greatest of all time" list. It seems more like a "Best frontmen that we can see today or vaguely remember without thinking too hard" list. Spin made the list, and a magazine called Spin is likely to be the music equivalent of Hello magazine, which it is.

Ah well, it's a list. To each his own. But Courtney Love invalidated that list. She gave it cyphillis.

The Highlord
Ah lucky you, well perahps you can go watch them play there after they finish the world tour 05/06 probobly in mid 06 the tour will be over or maybe a bit later in the year, they ususlay play the homecoming gig there, if I was a bit older I'd come over there and drag you with me to see the show big grin

el_barto
How the **** does Courtney Love get higher than Roger Daltrey HOW THE ****

LiveAndLetDie
Originally posted by The Highlord
Bon Jovi should be on that list, comon have seen some video of his awesome concerts? I know Live And et die will back me up on that one, specialy I love the live from London Wembly stadium show, thats just great. Yeah, i will. Jon Bon Jovi is a great frontman, if you`d give him a chance, you`d see that

Alpha Centauri
No he's not a great frontman.

He's not a great anything.

-AC

SlipknoT
He's great at making my ears bleed...

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
If Mike Patton wasn't in the top 5 it's invalid to me.

-AC

Yup.... Totally uncultured twats are responsible for this reprehensible mockery of a list...

The Highlord
No its all the Slipknot, cradle of filth that makes your ears bleed

Alpha Centauri
Oh look, it's Lord Lamedres.

Still listening to Anne Jovi?

-AC

The Highlord
Dont know who that is sry, still playing with your lousy tools?

el_barto
And how the hell can Courtney Love get higher then Joe Strummer, ITS A TRAVESTY.

RagnaViper
Originally posted by The Highlord
No its all the Slipknot, cradle of filth that makes your ears bleed

To be fair, Cradle of Filth has some amazing instrumentation. It's just Dani Filth is on my top 5 list of people that need to die very soon.

As for Slipknot, I will say this about them. If they got rid of the three members that don't do anything and got a new vocalist, then had the rest of the musicians put more of what they have into their music, you would have a pretty kick ass metal band. I was watching this guitar video with the two guitarists from Slipknot showing tips. Man, if these guys put that kind of work into their music, Slipknot wouldn't be so very annoying.

CorderaMitchell
Originally posted by RagnaViper
To be fair, Cradle of Filth has some amazing instrumentation. It's just Dani Filth is on my top 5 list of people that need to die very soon.

As for Slipknot, I will say this about them. If they got rid of the three members that don't do anything and got a new vocalist, then had the rest of the musicians put more of what they have into their music, you would have a pretty kick ass metal band. I was watching this guitar video with the two guitarists from Slipknot showing tips. Man, if these guys put that kind of work into their music, Slipknot wouldn't be so very annoying.

lol

Bardock42
Morrissey......I don't know...I don't really like him...he'S weird...good music though....

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Alright... So for some reason I keep getting Spin magazine, even though to the best of my knowledge I'm not subscribed to it. Now, I've never been a big fan of it... But this just sucks. They published a list of the 50 greatest rock frontmen of all time. Guess what?

I get Rolling Stone, Detail, Golf Digest, Jane...and Ive never subscribed to any of those in my life... eat

Bardock42
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
I get Rolling Stone, Detail, Golf Digest, Jane...and Ive never subscribed to any of those in my life... eat

Probably ore expensive for them to stop delivering them than just to let it all go....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.