Major Changes and Facts from Book to Film-LotR

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Melkórë
Simple, as the title reads.
Here ya' go:

Right at the start of the film we see a somewhat simplified story of the battle that sees Isildur win the Ring from Sauron. In the original story, the battle takes place outside Mordor, and Sauron's forces are defeated. There follows a seven-year siege of Sauron in his Dark Tower.

Eventually, Sauron is overcome not by Isildur himself, but by his father Elendil and the Elvenking Gil-galad, who are both slain. Isildur then cuts the Ring from Sauron's body.

As you'd expect, time and space are generally rather compressed in the film. For example, in an early scene Gandalf leaves Frodo for Minas Tirith, reads the Scroll of Isildur, and in no time at all we see him back at Bag End. If you didn't know better, you might easily imagine that Minas Tirith was just round the corner from the Shire! In fact, the city is 1,100 miles from Bag End by road. Between the first scene in Bag End and the next, a period of seventeen years passed, and Gandalf did far more in this time than just read a Scroll!

One of the oddest changes from the book is that Sauron doesn't have a body; Saruman tells Gandalf that he isn't yet able to 'take physical form'. It's hard to see how this could be true - what use would the Ring be to Sauron, if he didn't have a finger to wear it on? The book makes it very clear that he does have a physical form - 'He has only four on the Black Hand, but they are enough', says Gollum in The Two Towers, and this is confirmed explicitly by Tolkien among his letters. Actually, this does seem to be a misinterpretation rather than a deliberate change, because Peter Jackson has himself described Sauron in at least one interview as being no more than a floating eyeball.

In the film, we see the four Hobbits escape across the Brandywine at Bucklebury Ferry on a dark night. In the next scene, still in the dark, they knock on the gates of Bree. Despite appearances, though, Bree is not just across the Brandywine river - it's seventy-five miles away. The book takes four chapters to describe the Hobbits' adventures on the journey, including a trip through the Old Forest, a meeting with the mysterious Tom Bombadil and a very close shave indeed among the Barrow-downs.

More to come............

shaber
The ones in the second age as you've outlined yes

Melkórë

shaber
Frodo should have aged 17 years on the destruction of the Ring.

Aurora
There are many changes from the books to the movie... I will not dispute that, but..... I think that PJ at least kept the essance of the books true.....

Melkórë
I have more.
Want it?

Aurora
Yes.... but don't you think that we should disscuss them as well...

How about posting one at a time and we can discuss it before posting another one...big grin

Sauron
He just ahppened to have four knives

a knife or short human sword would be a full length blade for a hobbit....so no problem there.

The sword needed to kill the witchking is not given by aragorn in the film, nor by, as it should be, tom
But by galadriel
who gives 'Swords, forged by the noldor'
to merry and pippin
Sam gets his rope.
and frodo-the light

OrliNElijahsGrl
shouldnt we be at least proud of peter jackson for trying to stick close to the books and making these films into masterpieces, i mean, it must of been hard to try and do everything from the book, not everything is simple, at least he showed amount of effort to bring the story to life and unto film, yes maybe he left out some stuff from the books, but man, it had to be hard to do what he did, and include the things he included, and to put it all together, its extremely hard work, so yes hes gonna end up leaving out some things in the book, he couldnt put EVERYTHING in the film from the book as much as we all hoped he would of, but at least he worked hard and put these masterpieces together like he did, and made them amazing

OrliNElijahsGrl
although i would love to see the scouring of the shire included in ROTK, but that would probably be tough to do, but damnit, i want to see the scouring

Aurora
I still think that it is funny that Aragorn just "happened" to be carrying enough for all the hobbits..... But I am glad they changed Merry and Pippen's gift so that at least Merry didn't stab Witchy with a man's knife.

GABRIEL05
My only question is where are the freakin' Rangers?

Mr Zero
A major difference I think is often overlooked in these kinds of discussions:

The books were works of brilliance: The movies are a ****ed-up mess.

Aurora
I love the books... I love the movies... PJ never said it was an exact telling of the books.

Phoenix
The books AS THEY ARE will never work as a movie. You have to change some bits - people would have walked out of the theatre if the movie had started with hours of Shire montages... Also, it needed to be simplified, so that people who had never read the books could understand it... If they had shot the books, page for page, the movies would have totaled over a week, probably!

shaber
No book would work exactly as it is when transferred to a different medium. The only parts that PJ didn't do as well as Tolkien were the events of the Second Age and the relation of Sam and Frodo. Otherwise he improved on alot of it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.