Christians dating out of faith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Yesterdays Gone
what do you all think of dating outside ofy our faith? because according to the Bible, its wrong, but yet you should stay with the person you love...

SlipknoT
who cares it's your choice

Cyclops
Why should colour of skin, faith, or any of the related segratory things matter in a relationship? If you like a person, then by all means date them.

Lianslo
As a christian, it's very important to me that the men i date are christians. Since dating is the process through which we find our future partner, and since a marriage is much more likely to fail if you don't believe the same thing, i think its very important.

SeptemberRain
I dont really care what person i date's religion is. I think its anyone's choice as to who they want to date and i think religion should be kept out of it.

Mr Zero
Right. These would be Christian marriages failing that you are speaking about ? Because non-Christian unions are statistically far stronger.

Perhaps if Christians based relationships on something like personality and sexual compatibility (not that you will know about that as a Christian till its waaay too late) rather than normally ill-defined and vague belief in scripture less marriages would be failing?

BackFire
According to the bible everything is wrong. Date someone you enjoy being with, regaurdless of their beliefs.

Arachnoidfreak
laughing Well said!

manchichirtchit
i don't really care. she can belive whatever she wants to believe, unless she's a satan worshiper. as long as we get along, do what we like to do together, so be it. but she would have to accept that my beliefs and practices as a roman catholic will not be broken because of her, and i'd expect the same from her. if she wants to break up because of this, then she is not somebody i would like to be with till death do us part...

§nakehead
There are some reliegions I choose not to date. Suck as Islam because its forbiddon to see there face and such things.

§nakehead
ohh yes and I refuse to date satanists

Yesterdays Gone
well i dont think all muslims cover their face but yeah theyre supposed to

Moo Cow
where do you get your information?

Lianslo
first off, i've gotta ask the same question as Moo Cow...where are you finding these statistics? i'd really like to know. And secondly, I think what i said makes sense no matter what religion you believe in. (But on a side note, i would also really appreciate it if you didn't bash the Bible or my beliefs.) Marriage is a very important union, and i don't really understand how ppl can expect to make it work unless you have similar beliefs on the big issues in life. One of which, being your religion. Sure maybe dating is a bit different, but for those who take dating seriously, (as i said earlier) it is simply the process by which you find your future husband/wife. Living together, making decisions, and having children and all hard things to accomplish if your not rooted in the same faith. It would inevitably result in unsolved arguments and frustration.

And by all means, i'm not saying you shouldn't find someone who is compatible w/ you. That makes even less sense!

Jury
As a Christian... and a faithful to the Bible... it's good for Christians to love and get married with someone of the same faith as him. The Bible tells us Christians figuratively that the relationship between good and evil will end up nothing. For what is the complement of Light and Darkness, of God and Satan, of faithful and unfaithful, of good and evil.

BackFire
Some people aren't petty enough to allow their religous beliefs to determine their companions in a relationship. I think it's naive to think that religious belief is by default a major attribute that most people look for in another person, it is not. Both of the girls I've dated have had different religious beliefs then me. The first one was a christian, the one I'm dating now is a Budist, and neither of them ever had a problem with my beliefs, and I never had a problem with theirs, it's their business.

I date people who I connect with and who I enjoy being with, I could care less about their personal religious beliefs, as they don't care about mine. And it will be the same thing when/if I get married. There are far more important things to consider rather then religion when trying to determine compatability with a person.

Darth Revan
Dude... Do some research, most Muslim women these days choose not to wear burkas. You see pictures of women with their faces covered, but bear in mind that most of those are in places like Yemen or Afghanistan where you can literally get beheaded for showing your face in public. The Koran doesn't make a big deal out of the whole face covering issue, I think it's considered kind of an extremist belief these days...

Also, their husbands are allowed to see their faces wink

Tex
Forget the bible!
People dedicate their lives to following the teachings of that wretched book!

They act as if god himself wrote it!

It's a collection of stories loosely based on facts!
Manipulated and molested over the centuries. Each author putting his own connotation and spin on the teachings of Jesus.

Stories passed on verbally over the generations.
And we all know what happens to stories....they change each telling.

They didn't even start compiling it until decades after Jesus' death!
It's by no means accurate!

People memorize the entire bible and live by it - word for word.
It's ridiculous.

Dating outside of your religion is fine, it's the bible that's wrong.

Jury
I admit, there are a lot of Christians, as what they call to themselves too, but never faithful to what the Bible teaches them. They were false Christians, their faith was marked only in their lips... never in their heart.

Jury
I have no reason to say that the Bible is wrong. The Bible is Holy. smile

BackFire
You go girl!!!

Jury
Those were your opinions guys... smile

Tex
You know....something tells me that if Jesus really wanted his teachings complied into a collection of "holy" books...he would've written them down himself.

I dont really know if God himself dictated the ten commandments or if Moses just pulled a big scam....but those commandments are all you need to follow to be a good person.

Those ten rules dont discriminate against anyone!
Which leads me to believe that those may have come from god's mouth himself.

Where as the bible, not containing one exact quote or diction of Jesus is filled with hate, discrimination and prejudice. Why? Because it was written by people, not Jesus.

finti
you should follow your heart not your religion.

who said it was only ten?. With the rate Moses smashed those stone tablets he actually ran out of stock, so with the two tablets he had left there was only room for ten wink cool

Actually I couldnt have lived with a christian, I would feel guilty seeing her fool herself everytime she open the bible smile

botankus
LOL!! Hey, you wrote it.

WindDancer
Some Christians tend to be too judgemental. Some people that don't believe in the Bible tend to be too judgemental as well. I guess is pretty much balance. Pity....both sides are too proudful to listen to each other.

Humanity........you gotta love it! We just can't stand each other.

rusky
hmm... **** religion... it is a man made institution dedicated to earning peoples money... god is in each one of us, u just have to look hard enough... love should dictate dating not religion, money or god knows what else..

hobbit_dude
Im a christian, I pray, i go to church, and I wouldnt really care to marry someone from other religion BUT she must agree that our son/daughter, grows up with christian religion

Darth Revan
Why's that? If I married a Christian, I'd rather the kid grow up being introduced to both Christianity and Buddhism, and they could choose for themselves which they felt better represented reality...

That's sort of what happened in my family, my mom was a (kind of) Christian, my dad wasn't religious. We went to a methodist church till I was around 13... Then we decided to stop going to church since it didn't seem to be sinking into any of us... confused

Darth Revan
Hallelujah. You're my savior man, my own personal Jesus Christ. ninja

hobbit_dude
well, buddhism is something else, coz buddha didnt say "Im god" so someone christian can still practise buddhism.

and well i just think it's inportant to b a christian, (my beliefs) nd I wouldnt obligate any1 2 b one, but my own child

Darth Revan
But you have to remember that the kid is also your wife's, and it's only fair to give her some say in how he/she is raised, religion-wise.

hobbit_dude
well, then she wouldnt marry me wink

Mr Zero

Lianslo
^lol, your right (w/ the whole butthole behavior comment), my entire belief system has been beaten to a pulp and then flushed down the toilet by most here...but i'm trying to stay optimistic none the less. smile And I do appreciate you giving my those statistics...and the question i would have to ask is, how do you define a christian? Because for me there is a difference between saying you're a christian, and really having a deep rooted belief in God.

And I too will want my children raised in a christian enviroment. Perhaps thats another reason this is important to me. I want to send my kids to a christian school, have them come to church w/ me, and I will pray every day that they accept Jesus as their Savior. But I think i've said all I can. I've made my point, and though most ppl don't agree in the slightest, its still the kind of principals by which I try to live my life.

Predator 89
I agree with you and HD people should marry people for things that realy matter like what you believe in. Finding someone who is compatible to your beliefs is a smart choice because over time the person you have chosen to be your wife/husband doesnt beleive in your principals it causes friction and frustration. Remeber Marrige goes deeper than shear emotion.

ragesRemorse
If you put you life up to God he will lead you in the right path to finding yourt rue love. i have seen it happen with my brother and many others. It really works, being faithfull and giving your life to christ works, regaurdless of what others say. It isnt the bibles word for word that we the catholics or christains hold on to so dear, it is the essence of the Bible, and the out line it gives for us to be a righteous person. You dont have to be perfect, but when you surrender your will to God Great things hapen. some are to afriad to make the changes, some lack the faith, but good lies within us all, so find your love whereever it may lie, as long as it makes you happy and true

SlipknoT
Yea, the Bible sucks

Evy_O
being not much religious myself, I'd have to say that religion itself shouldn't play a big role in the choice of your partner smile
Would be nice though if the couple shared the same beliefs as well

you can do kind works and be a nice person without doing them whilst believing in a certain religion

ragesRemorse
u never said you couldnt

Tex
To go a little off topic....I think praying is also very pointless.

Save your prayers people, god may be listening but he's not helping.
He let his son suffer on the cross, ignoring his pleas.
If he didn't save him he sure as hell aint gonna help you.

Or bless you...
We're on our own.
We need to bless each other.

Stop relying on a god that may not be there.

We need to get off our asses and fix our own problems, stop wasting time on prayers.

Ok back on topic....If anything Christians should date out of faith...they can help save the damned! laughing out loud

...Just a reminder that topics like this may remain open as long as they stay civil...lay off the "butthole behavior" comments please.

Evy_O
you know, as much as I don't believe in prayers, don't you think this is a bit touchy subjct to be discussed among faithfull christians? messed

Tex
No.

Mr Zero
Did I get this right - saying people who have been disrespectful to this threads originators faith have been demonstrating butthole behavior is uncivil and not allowed.

But directly attacking and insulting a peoples religious beliefs, telling them that their god isnt going to help them and misrepresenting the core of their religion (IE the reason that christ died on the cross without intervention) is perfectly ok?

I just don't understand the rules here at all - I'm amazed I'm not banned already.

ragesRemorse
dude.. i'll prey for you

Mr Zero
For publicly disagreeing with Tex? I'll need it I'm sure.

ragesRemorse
not you the other guy

Tex
Attacking? Who's attacking?
What you call "insults" and "attacks" I call facts! yes

It's perfectly OK as long as I dont insult and attack members.
Which I never do..

To quote the Smashing Pumpkins ragesRemorse: "Save your prayers for when you're really gonna need them!" rock

RoguePw25
Personally, I don't see why christians can't date out of faith. Perhaps they should wait to find the right person who is a fellow christian though

Mr Zero
It's like a light going on in my head... thanks - seriously.

It's ok to wade in offtopic and deeply insult things which are precious and sacred to people, as long as you aim your disdain at the things they believe and cherish and not the person themselves.

Got it. Damn thats going to make life here at KMC much more interesting for me.

Tex
Just because some cherish something doesn't make it holy to me babe! winkiss

I've been nice!
You still haven't heard my theory about the "Virgin" Mary! laughing out loud

hobbit_dude
im gonna ask raz to close tyhis thread, coz actually tex's posts and other ppl's too r too extreme like "i think praying is pointless" etc.

finti
if you dont like it stay out of the thread then

Tex
It's a shame that anyone who questions a prejudiced 2000 year old archaic religion is considered extreme.

Oh well.

It's probably best that Raz close this thread.
It's evil now that Finti has posted! devil

Arachnoidfreak
Oh, she wasn't a virgin. Im sure that after Jesus was born, Joe was like "oh damn, I gotta make up for that one child with SEX! yea! Hey Mary, we're f*ckin tonight babe. and every night this week. F*ck that, we are doing it every day until the new year."

Tex
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

I'm in so much trouble once Raz gets on! death

silver_tears
Tex behave roll eyes (sarcastic)

Tex
I've been possessed! vampire

I cannot be held accountable for my actions! naughty

silver_tears
Dirty little boy nono

BackFire
Yes, god forbid Tex spew some logic about biblical stories.

finti
it is impossible to be logic about biblical stories

Fire
lol

I dont see the problem with dating out of faith

lil bitchiness
I..dont see why people shouldnt be allowed to date outside their religion. Its pretty rediculous and in a way discriminating.

Its not only Christians that do not allow such things, other major religions do not allow it either.

Organised religion is generaly wrong, it caused as much suffering in the world as hope...if not more.

Its nice to see so many people agree with the fact that dating outside ones religion is not wrong and perfectly acceptable, itsa shame that majority of people out there dont see it like that.

Fire
well most of what the "good book: says can be shuved up in its ass IMO

Mr Zero
Read it have you?

(and congrats on the punctuation in that post, it's quite dali-esque in it's surealness)

Moo Cow
I, personaly don't really have a problem with dating out of religion, but I would rather marry someone who is the same religion as me, but it really counts on who I would rather get marries to. I woulndt want to date a satanist though, or someone of a different christian relgion, because alot of the other chirstian relegions are taught that catholics will all go to hell messed

I can relate to some of the other people who have posted in here about dating inside relgion. When you have a kid, youve got to think about which relgion between the two of you you are going to bring them up in, or if they are going to be brought up unrellgious. One of my sisters friends, her parents are both of different religions, and they are all a happy family smile. But ive seen people get divorces because they couldnt find compatibility with each others relegion.

Tptmanno1
Note the second line below Fire's sig.
The part about not giving a Flying F*ck

But I don't care what Christianity says, It doesn't make my decisions for me. I make my own decisions, the bible doesn't make them for me.
I would date a Christian girl, IF she didn't try to impose her faith on me. If other people want to believe that, go for it. Same thing with gay marrage and abortion.

pr1983
personally i am born christian and my girlfriend is asian, so she buddhist. it don't mean shit to me, we in love and see good in each other so why should belief even matter? she is as devoted as the next person, but it doesn't stop us being happy. i plan on marrying her, so i really think if you feel its wrong then you are putting your religion ahead of your personal happiness and thats just plain stupid.

ninjaturtle
As many have stated, I dont know where the heck you get your statistics, but that aint right. As for Christians basing their relationships on "vague belief" thats not true either. As with any marriage, our marriages are based on love, but they are also strengthened by our relationships with our Lord. And as for sexual compatability, God will bless you with a good sex life.... it sounds weird but its true. God created sex, so why cant he have a say in it?

I dont expect you to really get where we're coming from, because you need to be a Christian and have a relationship to really understand what it's like for us.

personally i am born christian and my girlfriend is asian, so she buddhist. it don't mean shit to me, we in love and see good in each other so why should belief even matter? she is as devoted as the next person, but it doesn't stop us being happy. i plan on marrying her, so i really think if you feel its wrong then you are putting your religion ahead of your personal happiness and thats just plain stupid.

Being "born a Christian" means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Being born into a Christian family doesnt make you a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car. smile so there.

Personally you dont sound very much like a Christian person and I think that you really need to be a strong Christian to understand what I;m talking about.

ragesRemorse
well again i have to comment here and say simply that yes i care. Faith is very important to me in finding a significant other.

RaventheOnly
Well duhhhhh..... more then 70 % of the country is some for of christian belief laughing out loud they are a dominant majority and of course statisitically they will have a higher divorce rate. Only less then 10 percent are athesit but your saying 21 percent of them are divorcing eek! that is far more laughing out loud

Mr Zero
Do you understand what a percentage is ?

Lets say (for e.g. to keep things simple) that out of a total of 1000 people 700 are Christian and 100 are atheists - (with the rest being chicken worshipers or some-such.)

so 25% of 700 = 175 weeping Christians damned to hell.
& 21% of 100 = 21 atheists ready to move on up.

The Percentage is lower, the final amount of people is lower. Please tell me where this "that is far more" comes from because I'm having trouble with your math.

Fiery Eyes
I feel it's very important to date INSIDE your faith. The reason being, it would separate you too much. examply: you're a christain, your mate is Atheist, now just how would that work out?

It wouldn't he's going to be telling you it's nonsense, you're going to be trying to prove it's not, it would be a battle all the time between you two, why risk that? wink

Mr Zero
For love -

Obviously far less of a consideration for you - but to me it's the most important aspect of any relationship.

Crazy atheists and there wacky ideas eh?

Fiery Eyes
yeah but if you're fighting all the time and you end up marrying this person, then you'd fight over what to bring your kids up in.

Fiery Eyes
If you're a christian, and you're praying for that special one to come into your life, he will send the right person to you, and you will agree on your faith.

Mr Zero
So God never sends someone without faith to someone with faith?

Where did you learn that?

Fiery Eyes
I said: If you're a christian, and you're praying for that special one to come into your life, he will send the right person to you, and you will agree on your faith.

well...why would God send you someone that you will fight with about your religion? somewhere you will find away to agree smile

BackFire
WRONG!

I had a 3 year relationship with a girl who was a Christian, I, of course, am an Atheist. There were very very few problems caused by our different beliefs, we were together for other aspects. I respected her views and didn't try to push mine onto her, she respected my views and gave me the same courtesy. It's not a problem if both people just accept that the other person simply has different ideas.

Right now, I am dating a Budhist, again, no problems are arising from this.

Fiery Eyes
Exacty, YOU respected her views, not everyone is like that, it depends how strong willed they are in their belief, most will try to convert the other. smile

I just don't agree w/dating outside your belief.

BackFire
I've found that most people will NOT try to convert the other person if they truley love them. They'll accept it as a trivial aspect of the other person and just enjoy their company and love them.

Fiery Eyes
I do disagree w/you, but thats ok, I thk at one point or another in the relationship it would cuz problems.

BackFire
With some people, yes, but with just as many people I think it would cause no problems.

Fiery Eyes
I just don't see that.

Mr Zero
Thats because you seem judgemental and backwash is not. Common fault amongst some religious types.

HockeyHorror
i can only date Armenian girls

or my relatives would LITERALLY slaughter me yes

Fiery Eyes
No, I don't see it cuz i've seen it happen the other way to much. NOt saying it can't ever happen the way BF is saying, cuz it can, i just feel that it happens the other way more often.

lil bitchiness
Thats very true...while you are just in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. You know where the most problmes arise, and why people dont date outside religion, or its forbiden..its when those people have children.

When they have children thats where the conflicts of other religions arise, because, each parent wants child to be their religion.

There are exceptions of course, but in many cases this becomes a huge problem.

BackFire
Dude.....did you just call me backwash? I've never been so insulted....

Mr Zero
Are you sure?

ragesRemorse
screw it, i wanna get laid on the Bible pages with a satanist

HockeyHorror
laughing out loud

RaventheOnly
you do not understand statistics or calculus so it is hard to explain. Its along the lines of if i had a 70 percent majority and reduced it percentile wise to a ten percent value then weighed them together, the lower number even though it has less is taking a greater net loss to the larger number. I can't really explain it here because its more of a logic qustion coupled with a graphing calculattor and a chart.

ragesRemorse
yeah i like numbers , especially 7's because they go to heaven

pr1983
i was born into a family with strong christian beliefs, so i do understand where you are coming from. to be perfectly honest i have had less and less interest in going to church, but i still have my beliefs, they have not waned, but i'm no priest. my girlfriends beliefs compliment rather than clash with mine, it helps me see certain things from a different point of view. it helps you see thiings in a different light, if she doesn't believe in my god then why should that make a difference, gods message was always of love, and i'm with the one i love, so i think that in itself will improve me as a human being.

big gay kirk
Well, I'm a pagan.... a Viking style one.... I've dated a Hindu, several christians and two Christians, a few agnostics and one other pagan ( a wiccan...) One of the Christians kept trying to convert me, but the rest of them were fine.... as a pagan I recognise all gods as existing, so it's maybe a bit easier for me to accept a partner with alternative beliefs... like I've said in the past, I've got hundreds of gods... what's one more??

ninjaturtle
Thats definitely true, especially when you get to deciding what reliegion you bring your kids up with. I also agree with BF, in that with a lot of people it wouldn't cause a problem. What I think it really comes down to is how strong your beliefs are. If you're a very strong Christian, then you probably wouldnt date someone who isnt Christiand because in doing so your relationship with God suffers. If your beliefs are not that important to you, however, then I think that its less likely to cause problems for you. While I dont think that Christians should date outside of faith, I do still acknowledge that for a lot of people, this would not cause them any grief of worries.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.