Updates On All Comic Movies!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Marvel's Film Slate From 2nd Quarter Report Source: Marvel Enterprises Thursday, July 29, 2004

Marvel Enterprises has released its Second Quarter financial report and in it the company mentions the status of the various superhero projects it has in the works. Here are some highlights from the report. You will also be able to listen to their webcast on this here at 9am Eastern Time.

Marvel's President and CEO, Allen Lipson, commented, "The continued success of entertainment projects such as films, video games, and comic books based on our portfolio of characters has led to enhanced brand awareness for the Marvel Universe of characters, which in turn has led to increased sales. The recent release of Spider-Man 2 has broken box office records and has generated more than $600 million in worldwide box office receipts to-date, and the DVD is scheduled to ship in November. In addition, consumer products based on the movie are currently among the strongest performing brands at retail, further cementing both Marvel and Spider-Man as flagship brands with retail partners.

Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up For 2004
(Release dates are controlled by Studio partners)
-Blade: Trinity, New Line Cinema - December 10, 2004

Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up For 2005
(Release dates are controlled by Studio partners)
-Elektra, New Regency / Fox - Script, Director, Filming started May '04, Jan. 15, 2005 release
-Fantastic Four, Fox - Script, Director, Filming starts August '04, July 1, 2005 release
-Iron Man, New Line Cinema - Script, Slated for November 2005 or Summer 2006
-Luke Cage, Sony/Columbia - Script, Director
-Man-Thing, Lions Gate/Fierce - TBD

Marvel Character Entertainment Projects in Development For 2006 & Beyond
(Development and release timing is controlled by Studio partners)
-The Avengers, Lions Gate - Slated for Q1 2006 release (animated DVD)
-X-Men 3, Fox - May 3, 2006 release
-Namor, Universal Pictures - Script, Slated for Summer 2006
-Ghost Rider, Sony - Script, Director, Pre-production, Summer 2006
-Black Widow, Lions Gate - Writer, Director, Slated for 2006 release
-The Punisher 2, Lions Gate - Writer, Director
-The Hulk 2, Universal Pictures - Development
-Deathlok, Paramount - Script
-Spider-Man 3, Sony/Columbia - Director, May 4, 2007 release
-Dr. Strange, Dimension - Contract
-Iron Fist, Lions Gate - Contract
-Silver Surfer, Fox - Contract, Development
-Ant-Man - TBD
-Black Panther - TBD
-Captain America - TBD
-Nick Fury - TBD
-Thor - TBD

TheFilmProphet
Which of the above films do you think will be the best?

ScarletSpider
I thought Man-Thing was coming out this fall....

TheFilmProphet
I thought so too confused

Alpha Centauri
If they mess up Surfer it's gonna suck. If they mess up many of those it's gonna suck.

-AC

TheFilmProphet
I think its safe to say that we will have both bad Marvel Comic book based movies and good ones.

moshtitan
im really looking foward to hulk 2, ghost rider and deathlok.

Mane
i think Hulk 2, Silver Surfer, Thor, Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3, Iron Man, Captain America, and Namor all look awesome

TheFilmProphet
At least 78 percent of the movies look great big grin

Alpha Centauri
How many of these are actually planned to be put into cinemas though?

-AC

TheFilmProphet
All of them

Alpha Centauri
I can't really see that happening to be honest. Cool if true though.

-AC

Magee
Thor, Iron Man and Silver Surfer will be amazing!

TheFilmProphet
Who do you think will be the stars of those films?

Magee
Dunno. For SS u could probably just us CGI. Iron Man.... OOO who's that guy, Antonia Banderez! he looks a lot like Tony Stark. Thor confused dunno about that one.

Linkalicious
i bet silver surfer will suck.

What are they going to do? introduce his origin...and show him as a herald that goes around helping Galactcus (not yet introduced) devour worlds?

and who's the bad guy going to be?

Mane
Stan Lee himself said that it would be Tom Cruise

TheFilmProphet
I've been hearing about Tom Cruise playing Iron Man for about a year now.

Mane
yeah and its like 90% sure. hes actually not a bad choice.

Magee
Yea Tom Cruise aint a bad choice.But if u ask me, Tony Stark looks like he's got that sort of spanish/mexican look.

Antonio all the way!!

Captain America
Finally! they are going to make a decent Cap A movie. Dr. Strange will be good as will Hulk 2, X-men 3, and spidey 3. Oh and isnt tom cruise a pretty short guy.

TheFilmProphet
I agree and even in the short lived Iron Man cartoon series Tony Stark looked a bit Hispanic. Perhaps an unknown talented actor who is tall and has these looks should play Iron Man instead of someone famous like Tom Cruise. I also think Electra had those spanish/mexican looks in the comic books but instead of casting someone like that Jennifer Garner was chosen so I don't think we can rely on Hollywood to make the right choices.

Darth Jello
what about iron fist? Ray Park already signed on

Paola
happy

Magee
Yea like every other comic turned to movies. There is always a flaw in the main character sad

TheFilmProphet
Hes not signed on yet so far its just rumors. wink

Darth Jello
Ray Park said he was signed in a star wars indsider interview. as for paola, elektra's greed, she looks medetterranean.

TheFilmProphet
Whatever interview you saw does not mean anything. It is not official until either Marvel or the film company confirms it so it means the part is still up for grabs.

Darth Jello
I think marvel should venture more into animation. I have this idea for a cartoon called Marvel Knights that would feature a lot of the solo superheros of new york doing what the do best. Temura Morrison wouldbe great as the voice of Bullseye.

TheFilmProphet
Good Idea. I think it would be particularly interesting to see a new Spider-Man animated film. Also a Daredevil animated film. Just as long as they are done right.

MaxCarnage
Spidey 3 and Xmen 3 will be awesome
Iron Man will be awesome

the only ones on there that won't be good is HULK2
and Elektra

and they better do good on this version of Nick Fury

TheFilmProphet
Spider-Man 3 will be great. X-Men 3 might not be so good since they are not sure if Bryan Singer will direct it. I am almost sure Hulk 2 will be a better film than the the first. In my oppinion Electra should have never been made. Rumors are that Samuel Jackson will almost certainly play Nick Fury.

Jurel
Tony Starks def looks mediteranian/ hispanic-ish!

I hated Daredevil, but I think that's cos I just don't like Ben. Thus I wont comment on Elekktra.

Tom Cruise is too short and his body frame is too petit. Plus he just doesn't look like Tony. On top of that, he does drama very well, but not humour. Tony's characteristics are impossible for Tom to impersonate.

I think Silver Surfer will flop cos they're gonna TRY TOO HARD like they did with Hulk.

I think that the animation comment is valid and long overdue - It'd arguably be easier to do a more mature cut for the die hard fans while pushing out MASSIVELY successful animated movies - prefferably in the FMV fashion of the Final Fantasy Movie. That would be impressive. Most Marvel Titles simply CAN'T fail as animation. Now its been mentioned, I can't beleive it hasn't been done yet.

I think Animation will save Silver Surfer from Hollywood flopping.

Magee
A final Fantasy style SS animation would be realy good, probably better than a live action movie.

TheFilmProphet
I think so too just as long as its released in theatres and Silver Surfer's voice is done by the right person which is easier than having to cast someone as Silver Surfer in live action.

Shadow_King
i think SS would be hard to do in live action so ya it could do good in FF animation.

TheFilmProphet
If they tried to do it live action most of it would have to be done in CGI so they are better off doing the movie for ALOT cheaper in Final Fantasy animation.

Wynndar
by the way i havent caught that punisher movie yet.....anyone like to comment on how it was?

TheFilmProphet
The movie was great it had amazing action sequences through the entire film. It also offered several funny moments with the whole of cast. It also gave more reason for Frank to get his revenge because they did much more than just kill his wife and kid. Thomas Jane completely made me believe he was The Punisher AKA Frank Castle. The film ended making you want to see what happens next in his Frank's life which is always important when making a comic book film.

Wolfie
I think Punisher is awesome. I'm glad they're making a sequel to it. More, more, more!

Hulk 2, well, I liked the first, the ending really requires a sequel so I think it's a good idea, though I've heard it currently is indecided of whether to be made or not.

I've never cared much for Namor, I'm not too excited about that one.

I don't think an Avengers movie can be made. Captain America, Iron Man, and Ant Man are owned by different studios I believe. I guess no one wanted the Wasp.

I really hope Bryan Singer can direct X-Men 3. He had a good thing going, I can't see why he would wanna go over to Superman (maybe it's because I hate Superman with a passion). If Fox gets a new director for it, they better not mess up with this Phoenix story X2 ended with.

I heard Pixar is scheduled to make a Marvel movie, probably because of The Incredibles coming out. I don't know which hero though.

TheFilmProphet
An Avengers film would be very difficult to make because there is no way of getting each character enough screen time and telling an origin story too. You can check out the complete discussion on Bryan Singer leaving X-Men 3 and directing Superman here http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f49/t301211.html

TheFilmProphet
News On Another Marvel Film!

David Goyer Passes on Deadpool Source: Superhero Hype! Saturday, August 7, 2004

'The Cajun' pointed us to the official Blade: Trinity message board, where the film's writer and director, David Goyer, has posted more answers to questions...

According to director David Goyer (Blade: Trinity) on the official Blade message boards, while he was in talks to adapt 'Deadpool' for Marvel Studios, he has decided to move on:

"Deadpool movie status? Don't know. I was talking to Marvel about it, but ultimately, decided to move on to other projects."

TheFilmProphet
Here are the solutions for a sequel to The Hulk

1. Substitute the CGI Hulk with an animatronic Hulk believe me it can be done for example Jurrasic Park and Mighty Joe Young which had animatronic stars in these films.

2. Replace Jennifer Connely

3. Replace the director with someone great for example Steven Spielberg who has experience with big films like this.

4. Have Stan Winston do the animatronics and other effects, costumes, etc.

TheFilmProphet
Man-Thing Won't be Seen this Year
Source: SuperHeroHype
Monday, August 23, 2004

We thought this would be happening, considering Lions Gate Films had not listed Man-Thing on their schedule for the Fall. Now FilmJerk confirms that Lions Gate and Marvel Studios have taken the low-budget comic book adaptation of off their 2004 schedule and given it the dreaded "to be announced".

Will it ever make it to theaters, or perhaps direct-to-DVD? Stay tuned.

SUPERMANDAMAN
I like cgi Hulk and there is noway that they could do the whole movie animatronically there is too much action going on for that.

TheFilmProphet
The jumps themselves could be filled in with CGI aswell as other things like taking shots from a an army tank. But the rest could be done with animatronics. I think the best example of a film being done with an animatronic character is Mighty Joe Young he was built 15 feet tall which is the same size as the Hulk. It was done by Stan Winston which is why I said he could make the animatronic Hulk he also did Jurrasic Park.

TheFilmProphet
David Self Rewriting Deathlok
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

The Hollywood Reporter says that David Self has come on board to rewrite the big-screen version of Marvel's Deathlok for Paramount and Marvel Studios.

Stu Zicherman and Raven Metzner wrote the first draft of the script, which follows a suburban family man who becomes the test subject for a technology research lab that transforms him into a living computer. Marvel Studios' Avi Arad is producing with Steven Paul and his Crystal Sky Prods. The studio is looking for a director. Paul McGuigan, who directed "Wicker Park," appears to be one possibility although no negotiations have begun. Lee Tamahori was previously attached to direct.

Self previously wrote such films as Road to Perdition, Thirteen Days, and The Haunting.

TheFilmProphet
First look at the new Elektra film here http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2005/DEFGH/Elektra/firstlook/

Paola
mad I can't see it!

TheFilmProphet
It worked for me. Did you click it when it said 'Click to begin' ?

Anyway here is another link http://movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=elektra

Paola
thanx!! happy I'll see if it works...

TheFilmProphet
Welcome big grin

Into the Void
Wow, Electra looks good.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah better than I thought big grin

Paola
didn't work sadwalk

TheFilmProphet
Neither link worked?

Sorry about that sad

TheFilmProphet
Pre-Order the Daredevil Director's Cut!
Source: Fox Home Entertainment
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

You can now pre-order the highly-anticipated Daredevil Director's Cut DVD at Amazon.com. The DVD will be available on November 30.

The 2.35:1 Widescreen Director's Cut, presented in DTS and Dolby Digital, includes new commentary by writer/director Mark Steven Johnson and Marvel Studios' Avi Arad, and a "Making of Director's Cut" featurette.

But the highlight will be the additional 19 minutes of footage that was not included in the theatrical version.

Paola
none of them, it's my comp, don't worry & thanx sad

TheFilmProphet
Ok hope it starts working again so you can see it and your welcome. big grin

TheFilmProphet
Film related but not mostly sorry in advance Paola. sad

Tom Jane to Voice Punisher Game
Source: GameSpot

GameSpot reports that Tom Jane will voice the new Punisher game...

At the THQ Gamers' Day yesterday in Los Angeles, representatives of the publisher announced the lead voice actor for the Punisher. Thomas Jane will provide the voice for--but not the likeness of--the black-clad antihero. Since Jane also played the lead role in The Punisher film, his casting in the game would seem natural. However, given the critically lambasted film's disappointing box-office--a mere $33.7 million to date--the choice surprised some.

Darth Jello
Silver Surfer sounds like a fantastic four sequal/spinoff

TheFilmProphet
FF is going to be pretty horrible so I think its better if Silver Surfer stands on its own.

Nataku8188
I think they should get to work on the Deadpool movie. I wonder who they would cast as DP...

TheFilmProphet
Thats a hard one. confused .......Maybe an unknown

TheFilmProphet
Batman Teams with RocaWear for Movie Tie-In
Source: ToyMania.com

ToyMania.com has received a press release announcing a Batman Begins tie-in with Rocawear Clothing. Here's a clip...

Rocawear Clothing and Warner Bros. Consumer Products (WBCP), on behalf of DC Comics, have partnered to create a signature apparel collection that brings together the design perspective of Rocawear with the imagery and myth of Batman(TM), the iconic Caped Crusader from Gotham City. The line, which will hit stores in conjunction with Warner Bros. Pictures' highly-anticipated, Summer 2005 theatrical release of Batman Begins, incorporates modern street-wear design with logos and graphics inspired by the upcoming film. This type of collaboration is a first for the influential clothing brand.

TheFilmProphet
Jon Voight Talks Ghost Rider
Source: Superhero Hype!
Thursday, August 26, 2004

Latino Review caught up with Jon Voight and asked him about the Ghost Rider status. Here's a few clips...

Voight said that rewrites may make the character he's up for too young for him, but nothing is certain yet. Voight could only say that his would be a devil-like character, but would not name names. "It's a very mysterious substance, that piece. It's a devil force that has enlisted this young man in his despair over losing his loved one. Then he finds that he's trapped in this aspect and then fights it. It's a very beautiful story really, beautiful love story as well."

Yet, in the months since Mark Steven Johnson was confirmed as director, Voight has not met with him. "I've talked to Mark Steven Johnson but I haven't met with him about it yet. He and Nic have had many discussions."

TheFilmProphet
Major Hulk 2 Announcement Soon?
Monday, September 6, 2004

We received the following rumor from an unknown source who claims to have info on The Hulk 2. Will Eric Bana return as Bruce Banner and Jennifer Connelly as Betty Ross? We're not sure as it's been quiet on the "Hulk" front...

Expect a major announcement from Avi Arad soon about who the new director for Hulk 2 will be. And it looks like they have called Michael France in again to write a draft script for the second movie that will feature the Hulk in a more superhero role.

France also co-wrote the first film, which was directed by Ang Lee and criticized by many as being too dramatic. We'll have to wait and see if there's any truth to the above rumor.

TheFilmProphet
Connelly Contractually Committed to Hulk 2
Source: USA Today
September 16, 2004

In an article at USA Today on the "Wimbledon" premiere, a rep for Jennifer Connelly talked about her involvement with The Hulk 2...

Although Connelly, in a deep-blue Chloe dress, wasn't talking in deference to her husband, a rep for the actress said she's contractually committed to Hulk 2.

TheFilmProphet
Elektra Preview Now Officially Online
Source: Fox International
September 17, 2004

The official Elektra website hasn't launched yet (by the way, if you're reading this, the official Fantastic Four site will likely be at Fantastic-Four.com), but Fox International has officially posted online the cool preview clip for the Jennifer Garner spinoff.

You can check it out in QuickTime format by clicking below. Thanks to 'The Trailer Navigator' for the heads up.

http://www.superherohype.com/elektra/downloads.php

TheFilmProphet

Paola
pic is not showing again

TheFilmProphet
For some reason all pics from Superherohype disappear after I post them. Anyway I give up lol. So here is the link where you can check out the new Blade 3 poster. http://www.superherohype.com/news/bladenews.php?id=2030

Paola
amazing! specially the guy behind Blade eek!

TheFilmProphet
Yeah I can't wait for the movie!

TheFilmProphet
More on Ghost Rider & Superman Going Down Under
Source: Variety
September 26, 2004

Variety has published a new article which talks about how film production is heating up again Down Under. They mention both Ghost Rider and Superman that will shoot in Australia:

Oz execs cite several catalysts, including the opening last March of the Central City Studios in Melbourne, which will house "Ghost Rider," the Columbia pic starring Nicolas Cage, helmed by Mark Steven Johnson.

Warners has tentatively booked the Fox Studios in Sydney for its epic "Superman." Director Bryan Singer and a contingent of WB execs visited the studios two weeks ago, and the shoot -- reportedly stretching to 120 days -- is expected to start early next year.

Stay tuned for more on both of these projects.

TheFilmProphet
Wesley Snipes Blade Drama?
Source: Los Angeles Times
October 1, 2004

In an article reprinted by the Houston Chronicle, the Los Angeles Times talks about a complaint Wesley Snipes may have had about the third Blade movie:

On the set of Blade: Trinity the actor's relationship with writer-director David Goyer was so contentious that in January, after the film had wrapped, Snipes wrote a five-page letter to New Line Cinema's co-chairman and founder, Bob Shaye, complaining about his treatment on the film. The letter, on stationery labeled "From the Desk of Dr. Wesley T. Snipes," outlined Snipes' concern that his character, Blade, had been sidelined in favor of "two new `younger' characters," played by Jessica Biel and Ryan Reynolds.

"As I recall, the movies are titled Blade and Wesley Snipes is the actor/artist that brought the comic book character to life," read the letter, whose contents were confirmed by two sources.

New Line executives declined comment. Goyer, who also wrote the first two Blade films, now shrugs it off.

TheFilmProphet

pr1983
dude, again well done, but you must ahve superherohype as your homepage do you?

ScarletSpider
I don't know if you've covered this, I check this thread sparringly.

Kerry Washington has been announced as Alicia Masters in the Fantastic Four movie.

Paola
I've just seen it in the Elektra thread shifty

TheFilmProphet
Big Ghost Rider Movie Update!
Source: SuperHeroHype!
October 12, 2004

Scooper 'Robert' sent us a big update on the Ghost Rider movie, written and to be directed by Mark Steven Johnson (Daredevil). You can click the names below to learn more about each:

CREW
I found out that Don Zepfel (Hidalgo, Mummy Returns) has come on board as Executive Producer. Concept work on the project started a few months back. A great artist/illustrator by the name of Marc Vena(Rush Hour, Dr. Dolittle, Sahara) has been working on the various artwork/designs with a few others. (Oscar winner) Russel Boyd (Master and Commander) is on board as the DOP - Bennett Walsh (Kill Bill, Stealth) is also on board as executive producer!

SHOOT
The official website for Film Victoria has been updated and states that Ghost Rider will shoot from January 2005 - June 2005.

CHARACTERS
The following casting call confirms the rumored villain and another familar character!

"GHOST RIDER"
COLUMBIA PICTURES
Start date: JANUARY

NOW SEEKING THE FOLLOWING:

MEPHISTOPHE, male, a demon, the most evil creature to ever walk the earth, LEAD ROLE

ROXANNE, age 20's, female, a natural beauty, a smart, likeable writer, vulnerable, gets caught in a bizarre and deadly game of vigilante justice, LEAD ROLE

TheFilmProphet
Don't Expect an Avengers Movie Soon
October 22, 2004

In an article in USA Today talking about Marvel Comics' revamping of the Avengers comic book, Brian Bendis says not to expect a movie based on the comic anytime soon.

"We own all the comic-book characters, but different studios own their film rights. An Avengers movie would cost $700 million," says Bendis.

TheFilmProphet
New Date for the Elektra Trailer
October 22, 2004

We've had some questions asking why there is no Elektra trailer yet, considering we mentioned that it would play on Access Hollywood this week and then hit theaters Friday. Superhero Hype! has learned that 20th Century Fox is now targeting the week of November 1st for the release of the trailer.

That Friday, November 5th, is when Disney's and Pixar's The Incredibles hits theaters, so there's a good chance it will be playing with the anticipated animated superhero action-comedy.

Fox has already announced that the first "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" teaser trailer will be playing with The Incredibles that weekend.

TheFilmProphet
Blade: Trinity Receives the R Rating
October 24, 2004

As was expected, Superhero Hype! has learned that New Line's Blade: Trinity has been rated R for strong pervasive violence and language, and some sexual content. The second sequel, written and directed by David Goyer, hits theaters on December 8th.

TheFilmProphet
Clayton Watson May Have a Ghost Rider Role
Source: The Advertiser
October 24, 2004

The Advertiser talked to "The Matrix Reloaded" and "The Matrix Revolutions" star Clayton Watson who says he's up for a role in Ghost Rider.

"We're just sort of in talks about that at the moment," says the former Pembroke College student, who has auditioned for a role. "To play opposite Nic Cage would be awesome."

He is in the running to star alongside Nicolas Cage and Jon Voight in a $40 million adaption of the comic classic Ghost Rider.

Filming on the big- screen version of the Marvel comic is expected to start at Melbourne's Docklands studio in January.

Hit the link below for more of the article.

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,11149190%255E31624,00.html

TheFilmProphet
First Look at Typhoid Mary in Elektra
October 24, 2004

USA Today has published this first photo of actress Natassia Malthe as Typhoid Mary in 20th Century Fox's Elektra, starring Jennifer Garner and coming to theaters on January 14.

The newspaper says that in the scene, shot this past summer in Vancouver, B.C., Typhoid Mary pins Garner's Elektra to the ground, preparing to plant a fatal kiss on her lips.

Click on the link below for quotes from Malthe on the character! http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-10-24-elektra-kiss_x.htm

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2004/10/25/elektra-inside.jpg

Paola
eek! greatness!!

Havoc470
damn that chick looks creepy, the scene looks kind of lesbian lol (no offense to anyone)

TheFilmProphet
That was their intention. She is suppose to be kissing Garner in that scene. That way they make more money from us guys.

TheFilmProphet
Johnson Reveals Ghost Rider Filming Locations
Source: Herald Sun
October 25, 2004

The Herald Sun talked to Ghost Rider writer/director Mark Steven Johnson who revealed where the production will be filming starting January 31st.

He said half the film would be shot in Melbourne streets. The rest will be shot in the Central City Studios at Docklands, with a small portion in Broken Hill.

Melbourne won over Sydney and Brisbane because of its versatility, Johnson said.

"I just thought it was such a cooler town," he said. "This film is really going to be a showcase for Melbourne."

He pinpointed Little Collins St, some the city lanes and Telstra Dome as key locations.

"There's a huge set-piece on the river downtown near an abandoned railway line, where we're having a big police chase with helicopters," he said.

Hit the link belowe for more of the article! http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11185694%255E2902,00.html

TheFilmProphet
New Ghost Rider Details Revealed!
Source: Zon
October 27, 2004

Scooper 'Zon' attended the "Melbourne On Screen" event at the ACMI in which Ghost Rider director Mark Steven Johnson and producers Bennett Walsh and Gary Foster talked about the anticipated film. Here's what was talked about:

I just attended an information session on the Ghost Rider film being shot in Melbourne Australia in January 2005. The session was held at ACMI (Australian Centre for the Moving Image) and featured writer/director Mark Steven Johnson and producers Bennett Walsh and Gary Foster.

Amongst topics discussed were the long development process that the film had undergone, which was relatively fast tracked once Mark Steven Johnson came aboard the project and offered his take on the story. LA based company Imageworks was confirmed as the effects house for the production and the casting of Nic Cage was effectively confirmed, although apparently no official announcements have been made.

Johnson stated that he will be keeping as faithful to the comic book concepts as possible, while trying to make the concept of a demonic character fighting evil more plausible within the logic of his story. To this end, he is approaching the Ghost Rider as a "Bounty hunter for the Devil", and he described the feel of the film as a modern day western with supernatural elements.

The story will feature the Johnny Blaze version of the Ghost Rider and will also feature Mephistopholes and Blackheart as villians, and was described as a "faustian" tale.

It was confirmed that CG effects will be used for the Rider character (no surprise given the flaming skull). Costume-wise the look of the Rider will continue to develop over the course of the movie, so we'll get to see him in stunt-rider gear as well as the chains and spike look from the 90's comics version.

The film will start filming in Melbourne on January 31 in locations around Melbourne and Broken Hill - including a stadium shoot - quite probably for one of Johnny Blaze's stunt shows. An 80 day shoot is planned.

TheFilmProphet

Paola
post it at the Elektra thread..

(Jumpy)

TheFilmProphet
embarrasment

TheFilmProphet
Blade: Trinity Costume Design Images
Source: Yahoo! Movies
October 27, 2004

Yahoo! Movies is featuring new costume design images from Blade: Trinity plus a few new official photos from the film. You can view them all at the link above.

The New Line Cinema sequel, written and directed by David Goyer, hits theaters on Wednesday, December 8.

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808473210&cf=pstills

Here is one of MANY below

TheFilmProphet
Marvel's Film Slate From 3rd Quarter Report
Source: Marvel Enterprises
October 28, 2004

Marvel Enterprises has released its Third Quarter financial report and in it the company mentions the status of the various superhero projects it has in the works. Here are some highlights from the report.

-Elektra, New Regency/ Fox - Filming completed, Jan. 14, 2005 release
-Fantastic Four, Fox - Filming started, July 1, 2005 release

Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up For 2006
-X-Men 3, Fox - May 5, 2006 release
-Iron Man, New Line Cinema - Script, Slated for 2006
-Ghost Rider, Sony - Script, Director, Pre-production, Slated for 2006
-Luke Cage, Sony/Columbia - Script, Director, Slated for 2006
-The Punisher 2, Lions Gate - Writer, Director, Slated for 2006
-Deathlok, Paramount - Script, Director, Slated for 2006

Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up For 2007
-Spider-Man 3, Sony/Columbia - Director, May 4, 2007 release
-Namor, Universal Pictures - Script, Slated for 2007
-The Hulk 2, Universal Pictures - Development, Slated for 2007
-Wolverine, Fox - Development, Slated for 2007

Marvel Character Feature Film Projects in Development
Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain America, Nick Fury, Silver Surfer, Thor

Marvel Character Animated Direct-to-Video Projects in Development
Partnership with Lions Gate to develop, produce and distribute original animated DVD features. Four projects in 2D/3D format are in development with the first release slated for 2006. Characters include: The Avengers 1, The Avengers 2, Iron Man and The Hulk.

Marvel Character Animated TV Projects in Development
Partnership with Antefilms Distribution to produce an original animated television series based on the Fantastic Four. 26, thirty-minute 2D/3D animated episodes are planned with initial TV airings in 2006.

Marvel Character Live Action TV Projects in Development
Blade and Brother Voodoo are two Marvel characters that are in development.

TheFilmProphet
A Marvelous 2005 and 2006

You're one click away from getting our FREE Special Report, "3 Hidden Gems Ready to Run" - revealing the names of the 3 winning stocks Motley Fool co-founder Tom Gardner says are poised to return handsome double-digit gains.

By W.D. Crotty
October 28, 2004

Motley Fool Stock Advisor recommendation Marvel Enterprises (NYSE: MVL) is well on its way to having $200 million cash, and no debt, by the end of the year. Today, the company announced that third-quarter net sales rose 60%, operating income was up 44%, and net income was down 46%.

The net income drop was caused by Uncle Sam. Marvel has exhausted its tax credits, and the result of being a tax-paying corporate citizen was a $45.8 million "tax swing" -- more like a high-impact uppercut to the financial chin but good news for America.

The softness in the net income increase is tied to the quarter's higher reliance on toy sales rather than the higher margin licensing of the company's stable of 5,000 characters.

Income increased in all three divisions (licensing, publishing, and toys). Operating income, though, decreased for toys because of higher advertising and promotional spending before the competitive holiday season.

What investors were waiting to see was the company's 2005 guidance. The Sony (NYSE: SNE) film Spider-Man spiked 2004 movie and toy revenue and earnings. But 2005 has an Achilles heel -- a sharp increase in development expenses for 2006 projects.

Three feature films will produce revenue in 2005: Blade: Trinity, being released by fellow Motley Fool Stock Advisor recommendation Time Warner (NYSE: TWX) in December; and Elektra and Fantastic Four, both from Fox (NYSE: FOX). Six feature films, four direct-to-video original animated features for a partnership with Lions Gate (AMEX: LGF), and a Fantastic Four-based animated TV series will be in production for 2006.

As expected, without Spider-Man's U.S. release, 2005 revenue is expected to drop $110 million from the up-to-$500 million expected for 2004. Surprisingly, 2004's net income of up to $111 million will be surpassed and come in at $126 million. The 2005 results won't include a $12 million charge for the early retirement of debt and Spider-Man's international box-office receipts and worldwide DVD income.

TheFilmProphet
Poll being help at Superherohype!

Out of Marvel's upcoming movie slate, which are you anticipating the most?

Spider-Man 3 22.9%

X-Men 3 16.5%

Fantastic Four 12.5%

The Punisher 2 11.0%

The Hulk 2 7.7%

Iron Man 7.5%

Wolverine 7.2%

Namor 4.9%

Ghost Rider 4.6%

Elektra 3.3%

Blade: Trinity 0.9%

Luke Cage 0.7%

Deathlok 0.4%

Total votes: 2407 so far

http://www.superherohype.com/

AfricanLion
I wanna see the Ant-Man movie!

No really, you think I'm kidding? I am so tired of muppets and puppets, make-up and padding, computer graphics and other nefarious special effects to create monsters, villains and bad guys, aliens and predators and demons.

Have you ever seen a close-up of a moth's mouth? Have you ever seen a battle between a wasp and a spider? Have you ever seen the chilling grace with which a preying mantis hunts?

Imagine you are the size of an ant, but you are super strong (like Atom-Ant!), in other words, still as strong as a human being (or something, I can't actually remember all his powers now, I might be a little confused). Man, don't you think that would be an awesome movie?

Forget aliens. Foget predators and demons. Our monsters are much more scary and now, after thousands of years of evolution, we finally have the technology to film these scary monsters that live all around us!

And these monsters are REAL!

Ok, I wrote this a little tongue-in-the-cheek, but I'm actually very serious as well. I think Ant-Man has the potential to be a brilliant movie, if they use for instance the IMAX technology they used to film Microcosmos.

If, on the other hand, they use the technology they used to film Honey I shrunk the kids, I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest their nether regions and all their fingernails turn into fish-hooks.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah a film made on his character would indeed be interesting to see on the big screen.

TheFilmProphet
Marvel Sues to Strip Disney of Copyrights
Source: Reuters
November 1, 2004

Reuters reports that Marvel Enterprises has sued Disney because it claims the company did not legally gain copyrights to their characters:

Three months after suing The Walt Disney Co. in a dispute over royalties, Marvel Enterprises Inc. wants to strip the Magic Kingdom of its licensing deals for lucrative Marvel superheroes.

In a new lawsuit filed on Friday in Los Angeles federal court, Marvel asks a judge to declare that Disney never legally assumed copyrights to Marvel characters when it bought the original licensee, Fox Family Worldwide, in 2001.

Marvel had longstanding agreements with Fox and other producers to make animated programming starring Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk, X-Men and other superheroes for the cable network, Marvel's attorney Carole Handler said.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=6680819&src=rss/Entertainment&section=news

pr1983
He's been talking about possibly starring as Deadpool, and now Ryan Reynolds says Marvel has approached him as well. Bloody-Disgusting reports:

So what's coming up for Ryan in the genre, we could be seeing another comic book movie. "Avi Arad called me into his office after we were done shooting and said 'Ryan I want you to play DeadPool, you've got to do DeadPool, I don't know how we'll do it but we'll do it." Not to mention the Nightstalkers spin off movie. "New Line sees it as a new franchise for them, there's alot of interesting characters in there like the Midnight Sons and all these other guys who are really interesting and they see it as something they can mine out this new franchise. David and I talked about doing the story together, he doesn't need any help from me but I defiantly hope to collaborate with him on that. But at this point it's such conjecture, it's something we're not even thinking about."

heres the link:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/features.php?id=45

TheFilmProphet
Blade: Trinity's Dracula Revealed
Source: Joel B.
November 10, 2004

'Joel B.' sent us this picture of the cover for the new issue of Fangoria magazine which gives us a first look at Dracula in writer/director David Goyer's Blade: Trinity, opening Wednesday, December 8.

Mr Zero
Ah crap... they couldnt just have him be a man - he's got to be a rubber suit. Damn.

Darth Jello
stick with deadpool, that movie would be awesome.

TheFilmProphet
Cage a Lock for Ghost Rider After All
Source: AAP
November 17, 2004

It looks like Nicolas Cage just didn't know he was allowed to say he was signed for Ghost Rider already when he did the press rounds for "National Treasure" last week, as publicist Fiona Searson told the AAP that there's no uncertainty about the production.

"The film will be made here and he (Cage) has signed a contract... They're due to start (filming) at the end of January and that's when they always were due to start and that's what they're working towards.

Paola
So Cage will be Ghost Rider? blink

TheFilmProphet
Yup yes

Paola
messed I don't like him! but I have little info on Ghost Rider so it doesn't matter! happy

pr1983
ditto, could be good though

TheFilmProphet
Me either mad

pr1983
never really read ghost rider, so i have no idea how it'll be

Paola
yeah! .... maybe I'll get to like him... just in case I watch the movie happy

pr1983
same here...

TheFilmProphet
Well I'm a bit familiar with the story so its kind of depressing to hear. sad

pr1983
lets hear it...

Paola
yeah! enlighten us Proph! eek!

TheFilmProphet
Well not TOO much besides the basic stuff below just like anyone else.

When innocent blood is spilled biker Johny Blaze finds himself transformed into a skeletal fire demon thundering through the night on a mystical motorcycle of pure hellfire. As Ghost Rider, he avenges just souls tarnished by the touch of evil.

He is a former drifter and motorcycle stuntman. Now he is the Spirit of Vengeance and Angel of Death.

TheFilmProphet
And this evil face

Johny Blaze was orphaned when his father, Bartob Blaze died performing a dangerous stunt. He was adopted by Crash Simpson and then he quickly swiftly mastered the tricks of the trade. When Blaze learned that Simpson was dying of a rare blood disease, He finally found the courage to act on his longtime preoccupation with the occult. Tampering with dark forces Blaze recreated a ancient ritual and bartered his immortal soul for a miracle cure. In result he sacrificed himself for his stepfather.

Blaze sacrificed his sould for naught: A rejuvenated Simpson plummeted to his death attempting the most ambitious stunt of his career. Having deceived Blaze into forfeiting his soul, the Devil materialized to claim his due. But Crash's daughter Roxxane, expelled the demon from the mortal plane by reciting a banishment spell she had gleaned from one Blaze's books.

Unable to take possession of his intended bounty, Satan grafted the living frame that was the soul of the demon Zarathos to Blaze's body. Thereafter the melding of spirits would manifest itself every nightfall in the form of Ghost Rider. At first, Blaze dominated Ghost Rider's personality. After a few months his automatic nightly transformations ended. He then became Ghost Rider whenever he mystically sensed evil in the vicinity, avenging innocent lives tarnished by the touch of evil. But the more Blaze became Ghost Rider the stronger the demon grew.

Blaze was lead to a dual life. For years, he and Zarathos wrestled control over their composite entity. All the while Blaze struggled valiantly to prevent his satanic second personality from running amok.

pr1983
not bad...

TheFilmProphet
Thanks

TheFilmProphet

TheFilmProphet
Word on the Elektra Opening Sequence
Source: Elektra's Chi
November 19, 2004

Scooper 'Elektra's Chi' sent in the following unconfirmed bit about the Elektra opening sequence (possible spoilers ahead!).

The opening sequence for Elektra will get all of her ties to Daredevil out of the way quickly. This film is purely about Elektra and her new journey, and hides itself from making references to DD, save one real scene, and a couple comical quirks.

The Fox logo will show up, the Marvel logo (which transforms into red silk-looking sheets that fade out). In the opening credits you see the Elektra bleeding on the floor, with paramedics coming. They pick her up, and bring her into the ambulance. During this, there's a commentary by a man, explaining why exactly Elektra's dying. No references are made to DD, so if you haven't seen DD, it'll make sense as well, that she was just a fallen warrior out on some mission or something.

It's an early version, so text had not been added to this print. They show Elektra in the ambulance (same scene as seen on the official Elektra site - www.elektramovie.com), but extended. They give up, and she dies. The screen fades to black and the Elektra logo appears.

After that, the movie is set to begin with it's story. I have not seen anything after what is supposed to be the opening credits, so I'm not sure what happens in the actual film. I remember on the Elektra website, they showed her on a lighted table, but that does not appear during the opening credits. Maybe in a flashback? Not sure.

TheFilmProphet
Ghost Rider Brings Relief to Melbourne Workers
Source: Melbourne Magazine
November 22, 2004

Melbourne magazine has an article about how the Ghost Rider production will help the area.

For film workers such as Luisa Ceravolo, a freelance set dresser, the word of Ghost Rider has been a relief. Ceravolo admits times have been tough in the last 12 months, with less "bread and butter" work, such as television productions, forcing many film technicians to turn to other skills to make ends meet between film jobs.

TheFilmProphet
John Rogers on the Transformers Movie
Source: IGN
November 22, 2004

IGN Filmforce talked to Transformers screenwriter John Rogers about the big screen adaptation. Here's a clip:

I was a big fan as a kid. It was one of those tricks of age that once I grew out of it as a toy, I kind of assumed it no longer existed. It was a bit of a shock to find out they're still such major cultural icons. My new hobby is collecting ads from around the world starring cars transforming into funky robots. It's amazing how many there are. From a writing standpoint, what drew me to it was the chance to write wide-screen fights on a scale not often done in Hollywood, and also cool human characters faced with such bizarre revelations.

TheFilmProphet
More Complex Digital Actors in Superhero Movies
Source: Backstage.com
November 29, 2004

Backstage.com has published a new article on what was presented at The Digital Studio Summit in Santa Monica earlier this month. Here's a clip which talks about the digital characters in both Spider-Man 3 and Superman.

Culver City, Calif.-based Sony Pictures Imageworks also announced refinements in its digital human R&D. During the same panel, Sony Pictures Imageworks president Tim Sarnoff reported that the company's work in this area is "so far advanced beyond "Spider-Man 2," which is now two-year-old technology." He said that moviegoers will see far more complex digital actors in future superhero movies, including a third "Spider-Man" film and "Superman."

And there's nothing wrong with that! You can read the entire article at the link above.

TheFilmProphet
Chris Columbus to Direct Sub-Mariner!
Source: Variety
December 3, 2004

Chris Columbus, director of the first two "Harry Potter" films, will direct and produce Universal Pictures' adaptation of Marvel's Sub-Mariner, reports Variety.

Marvel Studios chairman-CEO Avi Arad and former Universal production president-turned-producer Kevin Misher are producing the film along with Columbus and his 1492 Productions.

David Self (Road to Perdition) wrote the script and is executive producing the film.

Sub-Mariner is based on Marvel's first superhero, Prince Namor, a half-amphibian man from the kingdom of Atlantis. A troubled rebel with a fierce temper, he has both helped the human race and fought against it when humankind polluted his underwater kingdom.

Shadow_King
i think this could be a good film.

TheFilmProphet
I agree.

It could turn out to be one of the best Marvel films to date, that is if they choose the right actor for the job.

Shadow_King
Source: i dont know i guess killer movies...

Chris Columbus To Direct Marvel 'Sub-Mariner'

Chris Columbus is to direct and produce Sub-Mariner, an adaptation of one of Marvel Comics' oldest superheroes, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

The Sub-Mariner's other identity is that of Prince Namor, a half-man/half-amphibian creature from the underwater kingdom of Atlantis. He is known for his temper and rebellious nature and sometimes finds himself helping the human race and sometimes fighting against it when humans have polluted the waters.

David Self wrote the screenplay for what is intended as an epic film that will highlight various cultures, species and worlds beneath Earth's oceans. At the same time, it will tell the tale of Namor, a man who is torn between the world he grew up in and the world he belongs to.

"This is a giant project," produce Avi Arad said. "Chris and I have been talking about this for six years, and once he saw where we were going with it and the world we were going to create, he jumped in."

its almost the same thing you posted but long i guess.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah and more informative too.

Judging from Avi's comments on the production I am guessing the budget for the film will be around 160 million.

killme3
Im a huge fan and would love to see someone finally do the transformers justice. I hate what the Japanese have done with it in thes newer series.

I like someone to jump in with a story right after the fall of Unicron in the Movie.

Some much went to crap after that.

killme3
The guy who played Bulweif in the 13th warrior should play Thor.

Man thing, What the hell is a manthing and what are his "powers" Sounds too much like swamp thing to me.

TheFilmProphet
Perhaps

Well he kind of is like him except he looks alot different in his appearance.

I agree

Speilberg has been rumored to be the director for about the last year all the way up until now, so lets hope he is. I also hope that Stan Winston works on this film too.

Shadow_King
and i hope that will all be well spent to make the film good.

TheFilmProphet
Me too.

Shadow_King
After since blade 1 a lot of comic book films started to roll in from marvel.

TheFilmProphet
I don't mean to point you out, but I already posted this in the "Wonder Woman Movie" thread below this.

Shadow_King

TheFilmProphet
Its two threads below this one.

Shadow_King
ok i saw it.

TheFilmProphet
ok good big grin

TheFilmProphet
Voight May Still Star in Ghost Rider
Source: IESB.net
December 21, 2004

We know Jon Voight's company is producing Ghost Rider, but he tells IESB.net that he still may have a role as well in the big screen adaptation from writer/director Mark Steven Johnson. Nicolas Cage stars as the title character in the film which starts production in January.

stellarX
thumb down not nicholas cage! i dunno what it is, i just don't like his movies (all but matchstick men, that's the exception)

granted if he does play the role we won't have to see his face for most of the movie shifty .....

........maybe that won't be so bad, never mind

TheFilmProphet
Well he is a bit old for the role in my oppinion, I always pictured the character being around the ages of 25-28, but maybe thats just me.

TheFilmProphet
I didn't know where to post this so.......

Where is the Martian Manhunter Movie?
Source: E! Online
December 23, 2004

'HPunster' pointed us to E! Online which asks why there is no Martian Manhunter movie in development. Here are several clips:

"The Martian Manhunter is the Shemp of the Justice League," says TV writer-producer and comics guru Mark Evanier.

More specifically, Martian Manhunter is one of the seven original members of the JLA, the all-star superhero collective founded by DC Comics in 1960.

The other founding heroes: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman and the Green Lantern. Each character has a movie on the way, a deal in the works or a rumor in the mill.

You know, unlike Martian Manhunter.

TheFilmProphet
Marvel Studios

(Development and release dates are controlled by Studio partners)

Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up For 2004

Lions Gate
The Punisher
Released April 16, 2004

Spider-Man 2
Sony/Columbia
Released June 30, 2004

Blade: Trinity
New Line Cinema
December 8, 2004

Status

Elektra
New Regency/ Fox
Filming completed, Jan. 14, 2005 release

Fantastic Four
Fox
Filming started, July 1, 2005 release

Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up For 2006

Status

X-Men 3
Fox
May 5, 2006 release

Iron Man
New Line Cinema
Script, Slated for 2006

Ghost Rider
Sony
Script, Director, Pre-production, Slated for 2006

Luke Cage
Sony/Columbia
Script, Director, Slated for 2006

The Punisher 2
Lions Gate
Writer, Director, Slated for 2006

Deathlok
Paramount
Script, Director, Slated for 2006

Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up For 2007

Status

Spider-Man 3
Sony/Columbia
Director, May 4, 2007 release

Namor
Universal Pictures
Script, Slated for 2007

The Hulk 2
Universal Pictures
Development, Slated for 2007

Wolverine
Fox
Development, Slated for 2007

Marvel Character Feature Film Projects in Development

Ant-Man
Black Panther
Captain America
Nick Fury
Silver Surfer
Thor

Marvel Character Animated Direct-to-Video Projects in Development

Partnership with Lions Gate to develop, produce and distribute original animated DVD features. Four projects in 2D/3D format are in development with the first release slated for 2006.
Characters include: The Avengers 1, The Avengers 2, Iron Man and The Hulk.

Marvel Character Animated TV Projects in Development

Partnership with Antefilms Distribution to produce an original animated television series based on the:
Fantastic Four. 26, thirty-minute 2D/3D animated episodes are planned with initial TV airings in 2006.

Marvel Character Live Action TV Projects in Development

Blade and Brother Voodoo are two Marvel characters that are in development.

TheFilmProphet
The above report was reported a few months ago, so they didn't include the new Magneto film in development. Although if they would have included it, then it probably would have gone something like this,

Magneto
Fox
Development, Slated for 2008

vaya_the_elf
Just hope it will be good *crosses fingers*

TheFilmProphet
same here

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>