jhon carpenter vs wes craven

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

m. myers
who is the better director? who do you think is better?

Dario Argento
I think Craven is a little overrated, so i'll say Carpenter

m. myers
I always thought that cravens movies weren't raelly that scary. I always liked carpenter because his movies have more suspense.

botankus
Didn't you see Craven's Music from the Heart? That was frightening.

Evil Dead
I'm going to go with Craven here............for the following reason:

Carpenter has many great films (The Thing, They Live, Escape from NY, Big Trouble in Little China, etc.).........but none can come close to matching the greatness of the original A Nightmare on Elm St...........which is backed up by some pretty solid work by Craven like The Hills Have Eyes and Last House on the Left.

Mr Zero
John carpenter is in his mid-fifties and pretty skinny - Wes is heavier but is 64 (and after you hit 60 it's all downhill.)

I'd say that despite being outweighed John C could outlast Wes in the stamina stakes, and if Wes goes down he's going to go down hard and not get up.

My Money is on John - maybe in the 3rd/4th round.

m. myers
Craven does have great work, but "Nightmare on Elm Street" By itself can't beat out all of the great work that carpenter has done. Hills have eyes and last house on the left are good but thats it. Scream series is o.k.

Dario Argento
scream is terrible.
nightmare on elmstreet isn't that good. Hills Have Eyes and Last House are better.

SlipknoT
I'm going with Carpenter

m. myers
What do you guys think if carpenter and craven collaborate to make a movie together? Co-write, and maybe even co-direct.

Evil Dead
impossible...........they are both too wierd in completely different ways. It could never work.

m. myers
why not?

Cinemaddiction
I'm split.

Carpenter has pumped out more movies that I have personally enjoyed, but Craven has the longevity, granted, alot of his most recent efforts have bombed, but I am a big "Scream" fan, and there's no denying it's impact on Horror, and the fact that it's quite an original work.

x-Lilith-x
I will go with Carpenter. He has a better style in my opinion, for the kind of horror i like. Craven seems to write for the fashion although Freddy is a clever and quite scary idea (pre s*it movies) its not enough.

m. myers
Comparing "Halloween to Nightmare" which one is better? To me "Halloween" is better because it has more suspense, and it relies on the suspense instead of the special effects. confused

Evil Dead
Halloween is highly over rated. It's a decent flick and all but there's not an original idea to be found in the whole movie. Crazy guy escapes mental institution and kills people............oooh the imagination it had to take to come up with that one.

Wes Craven put more thought into the wardrobe of the Freddy Krueger character than Capenter put into the entire script for Halloween.

A Nightmare on Elm St. is a horror masterpiece.......it didn't rely on any old concepts or gimmicks that have been done to death, it was unique.....and still managed to be one of the best horror films of the decade......

the only downside to NOES is the crap sequels that followed but you can't blame Craven for those........he refused to do them.

m. myers
same with carpenter he refused to do any more sequels after the third, which he only produced.

KidRock
I think m night shymalan blows both of them away..not necessarily in Horror but just overall story.

Shadow_King
i think JC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.