the egg or the chicken?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sand person no. 10
What came first, the egg or the chicken. this long debated question can now be debated here.
Although the answer is quite obvious, it must have been the chicken because the chicken lays the egg.

mah
yes, the answer is clear; the chicken. some small organism was created(chicken) and started breeding (eggs). this is the natural, and only way, period.

Ushgarak
Looking at it so literally is rather to miss the point of it. Everything in nature can be pointed to as coming from something else, which means at SOME point something has come from nothing, which is impossible.

sand person no. 10
the big bang, God, me big grin

mah
no, it came from something, very small, and then a Bang. those small things are like chickens.

Raz
Not necessarily Ush. All matter in the Universe could have been created from the energy from the Big Bang (remember, E=MC^2 big grin). Before the Big Bang, time didn't exist so we can't go there in a linear fashion.

LanceWindu
This discussion is just like how did God come to being if there was no life before him/her.

Raz
You're assuming God "lives" in pseudo-linear time like we do. He may exist at once in all times...thus has always lived in the so-called past, present and future.

yerssot
who came first? the egg, the chicken or wafflegod?
ME big grin

LanceWindu
Then how come everyone assumes that God is human?

Ushgarak
THAT is assuming time exists at all, Raz, so it is a dodgy area no matter what you say about it. But even if it DOES, the huge hole in the Big Bang theory is that there is no discernible event zero to start it from, so the question STILL remains.

Mah, I think you missed the point. Something had to create the small thing as well. Go far enough back and it all falls apart.

LanceWindu
Does anyone believe in the Primordial Soup theory?

Raz
That just proves my point. Its an example of something that doesn't "come" from something else.

And of course time exists! In the way we interpretate it anyway. The reason I said God could exisit in ALL time, suggests that he may infact not even exist in our precived version of time.

mah
ush: no I didn't miss it. my point is that there was never nothing; before the big bang there was a big destruction of the universe, and in between, as raz said time didn't exist.

Raz
Yes mah is right. There is the possiblity of the circular time where the universe expands and closes in on itself - which causes the Big Bang. That could suggest the our future could have already happened before!

Ushgarak
Mah, you just contradicted yourself.There cannot be anything 'before' the big bang, if there is no time before it.

Raz, you say of 'course' time exists but the idea that it does not is a theory being debated on the same level as things like the Big Bang. Bigger people than us talk about this sort of thing all the time. And then they teach people that in turn bore me to death talking about it.

Raz
But time in OUR percieved term exists to US - which is what I'm talking about. Whether is ACTUALLY exists in the physcial term, that is another matter.

I hope I'm not boring you to death laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Oh, computer nuts like you bore me in a whole different way...

Nope, that theory states that we don't perceive time at all. It is a false quantity that we have errneously defined. Whatever we experience is not time.

It gets rather stupidly complex from there. Perhaps not as stupid as relativty.

But what the heck do they really know anyway? Time theories are alwas VERY tenuous and fashons change every decade; they are no closer to an accurate anserr on that than they are to breaking the light barrier. Another example of something that was once impossible and now that is being questioned.

mah
anyways; the chicken was first, right?

Raz
Ahh...thanks smile And you littarary folk bore me in an incredibal way! laughing out loud
Yes that is the difference between PERCIEVED and ACTUAL time. I was talking about the former, you the latter.
Hey relativity is not stupid - its fun!....it a freaky sort of way laughing out loud

Ushgarak
I have NO idea why you think that. It is entirely possible the egg came first; a pre-evolutionary stage of the chicken laid it and a chicken came out. That is actually more likely.

Raz
Can't tell you that until we sort out this time problem wink

Raz
It would more likely have been an evolutionary process over millions of years. You can't just say this is where is became a chicken.

mah
well I think of the chicken as anything that can make some new lifeform.

Ushgarak
On the contrary, at ONE point it would one day be what we would call a chicken whilst its parents were not. There HAS to be a cut-off point for species somewhere.

And no, Raz- seriosuly, that theory disposes of the theory of 'perceived' time entirely. We are not perceiving time. We don't even think we are. So they say.

Raz
But some lizards lay eggs aswell. They are possibly not chickens wink

Raz
Who are "they"?

yerssot
you know, after all this talking... I feel like chicken tonight : lots of feathers and always babbling

Raz
Think about it Ush. It wouldn't have suddenly turned into a chicken. It would have had a mixure of the ancestors of chickens and the chickens we have today. i.e. it might have had scales AND feathers. Is that a chicken?

Ushgarak
'They' is whatever phD scientist is fronting his latest theory to the Lancet. 'No-time' theory lkast diud rounds last September; articles in the broadsheets and so on, pointing out that the Greeks first thought of it.

And I repeat, Raz, that there would be, at SOME point, something we would define as a chicken as opposed to something we would not. A half-chicken is not a chicken. And as such half-breeds do not exist today they could not be considered species.

There WOULD be such a thing as the first chicken.

Raz
Yes but would we noticed the difference between the first chicken and its parents. It wouldn't have THAT much difference between them. You could never IMO find the first chicken. Just like we couldn't find the first human.....in evolutionary terms.

Ushgarak
More to the point, it is unlikely two scientists would actually agree on what technically constitues a chicken.

So yes, it is only a theoretical thing.

Raz
Hurrah! I'm nearly right! laughing out loud

Raz
I'm gonna say the egg first came, then the first (modern) chicken arrived big grin

LadyEowyn
well its just one big chain. the chicken had to have started it so it can lay eggs.

Ushgarak
Well, here we are, back at the start!

LadyEowyn
well let me put it all together in to one big sensible answer. we are too young to know the answer!

Gundark
The chicken.

God, I miss DD.

ToMacco
All I know is that I like scrambled eggs. And chicken is tasty. So let's drop this whole chicken egg crap stick out tongue

Raz
For LadyEowyn,

Since chickens evolved from another creature, one day (*in theory*) a chicken was born from an EGG which was distinct from its ancestors and looked similar to a modern chicken.

So in that sense the EGG came first from which the first modern chicken hatched from big grin

finti
what Raz said and then it was KFC

Gundark
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Then there was blocked arteries.

mah
but the EGG that had a chicken inside of it, MUST have come from a chicken.

Mujaffa
first the maggots, then the chicken, then the production and finally the egg confused maybe??

finti
then macbreakfast

Gundark
Bleck. You wouldn't catch me eating breakfast at McDonalds....or any other meal for that matter. McGristle sandwich anyone ?

finti
Subway

Ushgarak
Mah- no, the egg would NOT have to have come from a chicken.

mah
are you saying that creature x could give birth to a chicken?

Ushgarak
Yes. That is the process of evolution. You do not personally change, your offspring do. Therefore one day something that was not a chicken laid an egg out of which a chicken hatched.

queeq
Maybe a mad scientist manipulated the egg.

mah
I guess I have to admit you're right now.......damn!

Ushgarak
Hang on... is that an admission?

Queeq? Have you been secretly manipulating evolution from the start?

queeq
Of course.

mah
ush, I'll beat you in a discussion one day! but I understand that this isn't the right one.

queeq
You can't win. He cheats.

Gundark
You should see Ush debate with himself. Now thats something to see.

finti - yeah, subway is good.

finti
I wish we had subway here in Stavanger sad Just Mcdonalds and Burger King sad sad

Gundark
Thats fat city and fat town.

So where is the closest subway ?

finti
London or the States I guess

Gundark
Damn ! Didn't know you meant that far. I could send you a three foot sub but by the time you would get it, it would end up like that one that Homer kept after the company picnic that made him sick.

finti
amd then I could have used it as a baseball bat

Gundark
Yes, the bread may get a little stale...

finti
stale mate

yerssot
a new superhero is born...

*starts humming the tune of Batman*
Stale mate! Stale mate! Stale mate!

Gundark
yerssot has been going a little overboard on the waffle syrup again.....

finti
he is actually in the cyrup

Gundark
Sounds like a sticky situation.

finti
most of the stuff in Belgium is a sticky situation

Gundark
My mental picture of Belgium is something along the lines of Inspector Clouseau.

queeq
Nope. Too intelligent for Belgium. wink

finti
laughing out loud

barbie_girl
confused confused confused

Gundark
That was before your time BG.wink

queeq
WAY before your time. Still funny though.

Gundark
Especially when Cato was hiding in the refridgerator.

finti
CATO where are you, you Damn yellow swine big grin
where is Yers any way

mechmoggy
Peter Sellers was one of the funniest men ever.

My favourite Goon sketch is with him and the late Spike Milligan, where Spike says, "I think the cat wants to go out", to which Peter replies, "How do you know?".

Spike: "Cus he's just put his hat and coat on". big grin

finti
He is awsome as the Indian actor that always messes up

Julie
Chicken

mah
oh, back on topic.

finti
ok one celled creature

yerssot
I feel like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight!
(now, where's the corn?)

Dim
In a can..in the cupboard.

finti
clukc cluck

Dim
Yes..that's right Mr. Chicken.

finti
you`re hearing this Yers

keokiswahine
are we still doing chicken? confused confused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.