Review: The Village

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

betrumka
I was able to get tickets to a premiere of The Village tonight (Thursday).

Well... let me just say that is no 6th Sense. It is also not as good as Signs. I would put it more on the level of Unbreakable as far as quality.

It does have a few moments (but really only a few) that reach out and make you choke on your popcorn or pepsi.

At about 1 hour into the movie I was thinking well... I haven't really been scared yet... I think I was more scared watching the trailer earlier this summer than I was in the first hour of this film.

It has the M. Night Shyamalan trademark twist at the end a la 6th Sense.
The 6th Sense was fresh and caught most of us off guard. During this movie you will probably figure out the twist before the end.

Here is a hint for you (READ NO FURTHER IF YOU WANT A COMPLETE SUPRISE!!): Don't be fooled by the date on the tombstone at very beginning of the film.

It ends somewhat abruptly when it could have had a much more frightening ending ( which might of saved my overall feeling about the film). Instead it ends on a fairly happy, all things are resolved feeling.

I was able to get free tickets from a promoter. $8 or $10??? I don't know if I would pay full price for this one. How much does Blockbuster charge to rent new releases these days? It might be worth the wait to see the film at home on DVD. This movie may actually have more fright if you watched it in your own home. Especially if you live in a remote or rural area.

forumcrew
DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE

it is not worth going to see in theaters... it was bood at the sold out screening tonight a lot of people left early.. wow o wow was this not what anyone expected.. it was so weak.. argh! im so dissapointed in this movie! maybe after i sleep on it i wont hate it as much... but ill post below the plot this is a major spoiler so dont read if you dont wanna know.. and you prolly wont want to see the movie after reading this

you will laugh more then you will be scared its basicly a bad comedy/romance

ok weve seen the trailers with "the ones we dont speak of" and the red marks and when the girls like "dont let them in" seems maybe scary, spooky, thrilling... wait this was a totaly different movie... the truth is its all a hoax.. none of it is real its set in present day and pretty much a group of people whos lives sucked went to live in this field in the middle of an animal sanctuary (that is absent of any animals) in total secret and created the monsters as a way to scare the next generation of people that live in their village into never trying to leave.. eventually it gets out of hand and someone has to leave.. blah blah its SHIT

forumcrew
i just posted in the movie review section but ill state it here as well since i feel strongly that NO ONE should spend money on this movie.. you WILL be let down

tinkerbell668
omg that was one of da dumbest movies i've ever seen...

BackFire
Read the spoiler and I must say it does sound dumb. But whatever, I'm seeing it tommorow, we'll see if it's as crappy as everyone says.

amity75
Can you PM me with the twist?

JamalMagloire
I'm still going to see it this weekend. I liked all of M. Night's previous movies and think this looks cool.

botankus
I have not read your spoiler, forumcrew, and am going to see the movie this weekend though.

I am not doubting the reason why the "secret" is so ridiculous - in fact, it probably is, I've read that it was in several places - but I don't hold too much validity nowadays in crowds booing a movie.

If the crowd's anything like the crowd in the theater for Anchorman, and it probably is, then forget any opinions based on their reactions. The patrons for these types of movies are getting mindlesser and mindlesser by the year.

forumcrew
read my post in the movie review section it has the twist in spoiler tags

BingaBonga
cry Really? I was so excited to see this movie. I was going to go see it today, but now I have to wait for a few days. erm

forumcrew
yea i know how you feel.. and im not trying to just bash this movie.. i was REALLY looking forward to seeing it, i thought it was going to be great.. but it was such a let down i feel obligated to warn people

madsci
i am going to see this movie tonight, despite the fact that i read the spoiler. if that is the commentary he (shymaylan) is making, i find that rather intriguing. if that is how story ends, and that is how it made you feel, i believe it says more about audience members on the whole who dislike it. i'm going to go see it without any expectations and accept for what it is.

madsci
dr.mindbender's apprentice

Tex
Yeah, Shamaylan uses the same formula for each of his movies. Scary creepy suspense then a big secret at the end.

Problem with this one is that it was a crappy secret.

Shamaylan is washed-up!
Come up with something new for a change! thumb down

forumcrew
and there was no scary creppy suspense.. this movie turned out to be a love story nothing more

BingaBonga
That really really stinks. erm

BackFire
I just saw this flick, it was wierd. It didn't have the same tight narrative that all of his other films has, it was rather sloppy. It couldn't decide rather or not it wanted to be a thriller or a romance. It wasn't bad, it had good performances and what not, but it was just a very generic film.

Stormy Day
I really enjoyed it and gave it a 5/5 in my thread.But I have to agree with backfire its hard to distinguish this movie between a love story and a thriller erm

BingaBonga
So we're having mixed feelings here?

Cinemaddiction
A perfect rating for a seemingly very flawed film? I don't get your logic, man.

I've decided to skip it.

BingaBonga
Well, everyone has different tastes...

Stormy Day
I didnt think it was a flawed film at all.Just not your avergae suspense movie erm.This is what I expected from a Shyamalan movie.

santo
My take on the whole matter is that, while the context is plausible the outcome is deniable. Simply stating the objective of one parameter to the other, even if it's tantalizingly dangled before us with a serendipitous and flawed product. But I am new to this collective and discourse is good, please be encouraged to respond in kind

Cinemaddiction
In English?

santo
M. Knight is a con man

swrl257
i totally agree, i also ran out of work to day (after working my ass off- for 13hrs)!!!!! i went to the 7:40pm show & when it was over i asked my self WHAT THE HELL??????? im soooooo disappointed, its absolutely NOTHING like Signs or 6th, def. a unbreakable/ forgetttttttable....

Bagtatta
I thought The Village was awesome, at least the first hour or so..

Then the suprize ending came and I kinda' lost interest. Even the first hour has some AWESOME shots and some decent suspense..

Then when it gets near the end it got a little less interesting, but picked up again when Ivy was DEEP DEEP in the woods and stumbles upon the hole, then the "creature" came. I LOVED the way the camera moved during that whole scene, and also the way he depicted the "creature."

Unfortunately the ending does leave a lot of questions (More overly flaws in the story..) but never-the-less the story would've been 10x better without the suprize twist..

I believe it was still a decent film. Not Shyamalans best...but not one that he'll look back and say "God that sucked.." but also won't be said as "God that rules.." Just a decent film..

I don't review/post much on here that much at all, but for now.

Out of 5 stars, I would give it a 4. The twist didn't ruin the movie that much for me as it did for some...I found it a little less interesting, but still kept into the movie and ended up still liking it.

Krabs55
I liked...and I liked the ending...I thought it was smart in a way. It made sense to me.

santo
So what was the creature, how did it end. You can PM me the ending

Stormy Day
Sato,
It turns out they where living in moderns times just away from the world in a wildlife preservitive fenced off from outsiders.The Village leaders wore the costumes to make the other villagers think that there where creatures in the woods so that they wouldnt leave the Village,and continue living a happy and peacful life away from all evil of the world.

Did anybody besides me think that one of the twist was gonna be that the girl was blind.Because all of her characteristics throughout the whole scene where shestraveling through the woodswhere really pointing there.I mean she always held her hand out in front of her,she walked with a cane pointing in front of here,and she actually ran into a wall at the end that was right in front of her erm

Bagtatta
She is blind...doofus. =P (Has no more of a response.)

nach
yes, um, that basically covers it
now i didnt read all of the reviews that people wrote, but i read a few and im sorry if im restating things but i must say that this was one of the most misleading, most boring, slow, going nowhere movie with a really bad twist. i mean, if you've ever seen a terrible movie entitled "Down with love", well im sorry if you liked it but this is the only movie that can compare to being as bad as that movie was. This was one of M. Knight's worst works and he would have done better if he kept it fantasy instead of just turning it into some stupid airhead movie. And i agree.. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON SEEING IT IN THEATERS.

BadKitty
*sigh* this sucks...

I was so looking forward to this movie...I am not even going to bother now..I thought there would be werewolves of something..sheesh!!

thanks for everyones honesty..you all saved me my hard earned cash.

Myth
I really liked it. However, I have noticed that a lot of people went to it expecting more of a scary movie and came out disappointed. I went their to see a good movie, not a horror movie, and came out liking it. It is filmed well and has a good story (not quite as good as the 6th Sense idea but still good) making it a good movie overall but do not, I repeat, DO NOT expect a horror movie.

kokiril33t
i loved this movie. stories like this always interested me. I really only went for "those we do not speak of" though. but i liked it nonetheless.
the camera work was very well done. I like how he designed the creatures too. did anyone else like them?

radiohead02
I saw The Village, although the ending was a tad confusing. Could anyone explain completely.

forumcrew
omg you didnt know she was blind?! how could that be a twist its obvious as shit even if you never noticed her using a cane, counting her steps, walking with her hand out, or her dad talking about it!

radiohead read my spoiler up on the top of page 1 it will explain it better

Stormy Day
I noticed she was blind but wasnt sure because they never explained it(or at least not to my knowledge)

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
I knew Noah was going to be the creature like 10 minutes into the movie . I hated this movie with a passion because it turned from horror, to love, to horror, to love, it like went from a mini godzilla film in the beginning, to a romeo and juliet tale at the last...-1/20

moonwalker741
i didnt read any spoilers but i heard, that its like 6th sense, where youll get the move at the end, but it'll be totally confusing crap throughout the movie till the end, some one fill me in..?

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Its not ALL confusing, some of it is, but just a little. You'll know whats gonna happen.
No it isnt like the 6th sense.
I think M.Night Shymalean could've done way better, he is a very creative, expressive man...this just didnt cut it.

botankus
There are reasons why some people like Frailty and hate The Mangler and some people like The Mangler and hate Frailty. That statement should be self-explanatory.

There was a nine-year old girl sitting behind us in the theater who said, "That was stupid." Most of the adults I've talked to locally thought it was really good.

It's no classic, but certainly much better than what the fans who wanted nothing less than an old-age version of Wrong Turn, for that matter, made it out to be.

Also, no one in this thread has even bothered to mention anything about the theme during their "reviews."

The Village was created to establish a safe haven, a feeling of protection, within the village. Note that all of the elders had had traumatic losses leading up to their relocation here. Hence the taboo color of red preached throughout the village.

What happened was that somewhere within the love that was supposed to exist hate was bred. Love created hate, violence, and eventually killed the "infection." Remember when the doctor said something like, "I have tried to close the walls but we don't know if we can control the infection (paraphrased)?" The infection spread beyond their control and almost ruined their project. Sort of like The Beach.

What the elders did to prevent hate from entering their lives instead brought fear to the residents.

And so what if the ending wasn't the greatest thing on wheels, I thought it fit the movie profile well. This movie should not be dumped into the same bucket as Child's Play but rather something like, oh, Sleepy Hollow. I didn't hear many people bitching about that one.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
It wasnt just the ending that wasnt great..it was the whole movie..

botankus
It's the ending that explains everything in my spoiler.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Well i state my opinion on the last page -1/20 wont change lol. That handicapped dude was funny at first until he killed Louscious

Myth
Moral of the story: Retards are evil!

Seriously though, every bad review that I have read about the movie is negative because it wasn't scary enough. IT WASN'T TRYING TO BE A HORROR MOVIE! It was suspenseful but not suppose to be frightening. It had good filming, good diolog, and a good ending. Many people don't like the ending because it is being unfairly compaired to the Sixth Sense but it has a good ending.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Okay, speaking of script, they had good WORDS but they didnt use the dialog correctly, it was like they were TRYING TOO HARD lol. (sorry for caps) But at the beginning it was just like they were trying too hard to spit out the words to make them sound like people of the old ages (unadvanced language, like pilgrims and such) I seriously thought it was a damn pilgrim movie

Stormy Day
I mean come on.Alot of people liked Signs and that wasnt scary erm

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Signs was cool, better than The Village

forumcrew
signs was ok didnt think it was great the village was better in technical terms like the cenematography, acting, and everything i just didnt find it very entertaining at all.. we were bored except when we were making fun of how stupid the story line was

and by the way he didnt kill lucious he stabbed him and he was hurt.. if he was dead ivy would have never gone to the "towns"

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Crap, thats what i meant, mark my words.
My mother and I were discussing the movie the whole way home and she wanted to know if noah was HELPING Ivy or going to kill her, I told her that he busted out to go and Kill her because he wanted to stop her from getting the medicines to cure him, otherwise if he didnt want to Kill Ivy he wouldnt have tried to tackle her and fell in that hole after she moved.

Myth
If you think about it though they (at least the elders) would have to be trying to speak in that way since its not there natural accent and it would come across as forced.

Onli-Orli- I think it was more of a "if I can't have you, nobody can" type thing. Plus he was probably mad for those slaps and understood that she won't ever forgive him. You should have put the entire part about Noah in the 'spoiler' text as well.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
I agree to that, one thing i want to know is. was it that old, dark cottage that Noah busted out of? Or was it the room with the lock on it? You get what im saying? See there was a cottage they showed, that Ivy went to when she slapped him, and then they locked it back, and then there was another Dark room that had that creature in a red cloak. Which one was the room he escaped from?

moonwalker741
can somebody explain to me ivys last name and "Walker Wild Life Preserve", and also, so there were no cretures, it was just like that to keep the villagers to stay in there boundries, but who created this, noah? but es mentally disabled fill me in before i kill myslef!

Freddy Lover
YOU PEOPLE ARE SO FULL OF IT!! MAN I WISH I COULD SLAP YOU ALL SILLY! mad

moonwalker741
first, whats with the caps?

and second, can you be more specific of why we are full of it?

Myth
Onli-Orli - It was the room he was locked in. He found one of the suits under the floor boards.

Moonwalker - The main elder (the blind girl's father) spoke of his father being the richest man in his town. When they opened their locked chests, there was even an article that said he was a billionaire. When they decided to separate themselves from society, they used the wealth of the family to buy all of that land and they paid for it to be strickly protected like an animal reserve so nobody would bother them. The company that protects the reserve is owned and therefore named after the Walker family and that is why her name is the same as the company name. The part that I thought was especially genious is how they even avoided the loophole of airplanes. They said that they even paid off the government to make it a no fly zone so therefore they wouldn't even see airplanes that would throw off there whole scheme.

ragesRemorse
man we got tricked to see this movie, thats it thats all there is to it, they tricked us into giving them money

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
No disagreement there.

Btw Thanks Myth for clearing that up.

Freddy Lover
LEAVE ME ALONE YOU DAMN MOONWALKER PERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!chair

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Hey Hey chill out!!!

moonwalker741
ok get a life seriously if your gonna bash other members, ad if you are, give a reason, and stop with the caps

also, thank you Myth!!! but were there cretures, no right, it was just noah, but remeber the part when there lucious takes ivys hand in the front door and there runnig in slow-mo whic was so corny, noah was in the underground basment thing with them, and the creture was out side???

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Thats what i was wondering, see Myth said that Noah was in the locked cottage, but what i want to know is WHAT WAS THAT in the underground basement thing..That was another creature wasnt it?

Myth
I think you guys completely misunderstood the movie which is adding to you disliking it. The main elder explains that it is them in the suits. They used the suits to scare the town into not leaving and there was more than one of the suits. There was one in that shack that they aren't allowed to go to, and there was one in the floor boards where Noah was locked, and there must be some others throughout the town as well. Anyway, it wasn't even Noah the whole time. It was the elders in the suits. Noah just found one of the suits and ended up stalking the girl in it when she left the village.

moonwalker741
thnx myth.... big grin smile

ragesRemorse
no i got it completely and thats why i diddnt like it, i dun got tricked out my money SUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEYYYYYY. I mean that retard is really going to be smart enough to do whathe did, where in the entire movie he couldnt even comprehend a sentence, yet he can muster super human strength and break the floor board and miracously come upon what he did, and decided to go after her. how would he even know that the girl went into the woods in the first place? he was in the quiet room ? rememebr . dumba ass movie diddnt even try to cover up there holes, just deciede the trickery would be enough to get our money

moonwalker741
he ripped throuh the floor, i thought there was a floor dorr opening? o well w/e, and true, how would noah even know she was in the woods anyway? and also why did he kill lucious?

ragesRemorse
yeah He cant possibly understand the concept of love

Freddy Lover
I have anger problems...somthing i can't control. I almsot killed my brother once because i get so mad...furiousI think i'm gonna get sick...Love Sick that isin_love

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
My mother explained it to me today what Myth just said. Now I understand it all.

ragesRemorse
so you understand how crappy it was?

roundisfunny
Some good comments here; and some...not so good ("OMG TEH MOIVE IS DUM LOL", etc).

Just because I can, here is what I wrote in the OTHER "The Village" thread (the one in the "horror" section);

Why is EVERYBODY on this board trashing this movie? I loved it! Of course, I'm inclined to think that Jerry Bruckheimer's offerings are contrived pablum, so what do I know? miffed

Anyway, what I liked about it was that it DID occur to me that the elders were making it up before it was revealed. However...my first instinct was that ONE elder was behind it, like Mr. Walker (William Hurt). He was present when the creatures first howled, though, and I didn't think that it was a vast conspiracy amongst ALL of the elders. When Lucius's friend in the tower said something like "Why would you want to go beyond the woods; the elders have said...." that all but convinced me that the elders were behind it.

I even thought that it might be set in modern-day, when Mr. Walker is arguing with the elders about Ivy's sojourn, but I couldn't reconcile it with the fact that the children would have seen "strange, metal birds" flying overhead every day. M. Night tied that off nicely at the end.

I also noticed right off the bat that there was no hint of Christianity in their funerary or dinnertime rituals, although I chalked it up to M. Night's personal preferences. Still, how likely is it that the elders would all feel strongly enough to keep a sort of vague agnosticism in their community? That just screams fakery to the outside observer.

Finally, when Noah shows up as the "real" creature, I had no idea. I thought it looked cheesy, but then so did the aliens in "Signs". I didn't see that coming at all. Only when the elders approached their "secret box" did I manage to figure it all out (about 15 seconds before M. Night revealed it anyway. I'm so special.

There are parts that leave me scratching my head, of course, like why would the elders feel the need to be historically true to one era or technology? Making the women wear corsets, and letting seven-year-old kids die of TB or some crap that can easily be cured in the 21st centurY? It's insane to go into that kind of self-sustaining environment without planning for emergencies. There are all kinds of examples of closed-off communities (cults, the Amish, conspiracy-minded compounds, hippie communes, etc) that shelter their children to some extent, but even the elders should have allowed SOME modern conveniences to creep in. Of course, maybe that's kind of the point--that sheltering your kids from the real world doesn't keep suffering away. There's always disease, accidents, and the occasional homicidal retard.

Oh, and Ivy is a super-hottie. Way to go, Opie!

moonwalker741
^ smile yes

yo dude, i agree with every single word of what your said...

ragesRemorse
yeah it wasnt that hard to to really think of ounce you put two and two together dont feel so special. It was just a dumb ass movie

Myth
He could have been out in time to watch her enter the woods and then he stalked her from there. And I think it was pretty obvious that he killed Lucious out of jealousy. And Rage, why couldn't he understand the concept of love? He's not THAT mentally challenged.

Round is Funny - Good points. Anyway, the reasoning I came up with for staying consisted with 1 historical era was so they didn't slip up with consistency. My friend asked the question of why they didn't bring regular clothes because it wasn't necessary to wear old fashioned clothing. I figured it was for 2 reasons. 1 is that they would have to have a fashion they can sew themselves and the other is that there is no loopholes in there stories. Something modern could draw a question that may bring upon false explanations and could get stories mixed up. The clothes they wore had a history to them so their stories would all match up if asked. I agree that it would make more sense to bring modern medicine, but most medicines expire anyway so they couldn't just bring it back with them. They should have brought a few things that time wouldn't change, but that would eliminate most of the things that they could have brought.

Stormy Day
no it wasnt sad

Myth
Let me guess Rage, you wanted a horror movie or to see a monster movie but you didn't get that so now you are pissed off and refuse to like the movie.

ragesRemorse
no i wanted somthin suspensful and well thought out like huis previous films. not just a ploy to trick a mass aduience into seeing a movie, it seems like your making up to many exscuses to like the movie anyway The movie relies on so much, and offered just so little. the last 30 minutes were pointless.

Myth
Making up excuses to like it? I just like it and have noticed that a majority of people who don't are angry for the reason that it wasn't "very scary" or "the monsters aren't real." Apparently you are not one of those people which is good, because those are dumb reasons to not like it. You apparently just didn't like it although I disagree with it being "pointless." The only "trick" I see is how it is portrayed as a horror movie. Hell, there is a topic about it in the horror forum which is not the place for the movie and shows that people have been misguided. But I still don't believe it was bad, infact, as I have already stated, I believe it was a good movie.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
smile I might force myself to see it again, since i can make sense of it now, and maybe Ill enjoy it to make it to at least a 0 instead of a -1 of a rating

roundisfunny
Myth, thanks for some good comments. In thinking about M. Night's planning for how he would explain about the retro-commune, he raised all sorts of questions that should be answered, and the fact that they weren't just smacks of laziness. For example:

1) Mr. Walker is the history teacher. The rest, presumably, have skills they developed during their time in the village or had already (e.g. the doctor). Assuming that the infant in Sigourney's arms is baby Lucius, everyone his age or younger is living in a world of the elders' creation. Why NOT set up your village's (world's) history to fit whatever history you want? The kids won't question it, and the elders are lying about it anyway.

2) Why haven't more of the kids developed a sense of wanting to fight the creatures? Even if their society is based on realism, if they give the kids any exposure to stories of heroism and fighting evil from history, some kids are bound to embrace a warrior's stance.

3) Remember what a fuss is made anytime a group of people want to be separatists (for any reason)? The government would have shut them down EARLY on, no matter how rich old man Walker was.

Still, I can't complain. Maybe some of these points will be discussed on the DVD.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
smile

Samas-adian
It was marketed wrong. If it wasn't marketed as a horror movie, people's expectations would of been completly different. It was good, not his best but good none less. Production and set design was fantastic and the look of the film was fantastic. Didnt need to use CGI which is always a good thing.

Mentally challanged people are not brainless and stupid. They do have emotions and can operate with some functionality. Throughout the whole movie you see Noah being able to do many things without help at all. So it is plausible to find Ivy in a forest. Also, we have no clue how long he escaped from the quiet room.

Myth
^ Exactly

ilvorlandobloom
i was soo shocked when Noah stabbed Lucious and he turned out to be the creature in the woods chasing Ivy. my mouth just dopped open when he pulled the knife out.

botankus
I know some pretty intelligent people who can't handle their emotions maturely when dealing with issues such as jealousy and love.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Yeah me too, Heck i was just plain shocked when Noah stabbed him, i thought my mother was going to die at that scene, i heard her gasp really loud and everyone else in the theater did too, and i just went...Yay..to add something in..

sorrow
so how is it.. better than sixth sense?

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Nope...

sorrow
even worst that the sign?

botankus
Sorrow, before you let one poster who has monopolized this thread influence you too bad, go see it for yourself.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
yeah

YourNameHere123
anyone have any pictures of 'the creatures' from the village or the outfits? or even pictures from adrien brody's character chasing ron howards daughter through the woods?

Bagtatta
Yeah, the end between Ivy and Creatures was cool even though they kinda' spoiled the movie for you a little bit to early.

And the beginning to was awesome when the createres kept coming into the village.

YourNameHere123
yea but do you know where to get full body shots of the creatures? i've looked everywhere and can't find them

YourNameHere123
i need screens

Stormy Day
They probaly wont be availible until the dvd is released.The prodcuting company is keeping a pretty tight wrap on information and pictures of the movie erm

I just saw the movie again tonight.And I got to say I still liked it and enjoyed it.And I was able to understand more about that I had on my first viewing.

forumcrew
does it even matter i mean... its just a costume

Mayhem23
You want to know why I liked this movie? I liked this movie for all the reasons most of you hated it. I think M. Night is basically making fun of us all in this movie. He knows what we wanted, the thrills and chills of Signs with a blind siding ending like The Sixth Sense. This movie was much more subtle, and could even be seen to have some moral lesson. The acting was superb, the location and filming was great, the storyline was well thought out and effectively delivered, and it had a few scary parts to boot. The point is, this is more M. Night's style. After Signs (which I loved), I thought he was heading for mainstream. I was glad to see that Village had more of an Unbreakable feel to it.

Stormy Day
Try finding a picture then,but I know its gonna be nearly impossible erm

amerifan
I liked the movie because it did have a clever storyline, yet i expected a thirller rather than a slower movie storyline type movie. The movie was more based on love than horror

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
I could probably find a picture..

Stormy Day
try shifty

ragesRemorse
just think corny

Cowboyography
I was bummed with the movie, there were some good scenes, acting ect.. but we have come to expect something from MNS. after Sixth sense my jaw dropped, Unbreakable the same, scrathing your head mumbling WOW!! when I left the Village I was more like "EH". The best scene, and most shocking scene in the movie was when Lucious is stabbed my noah, what a great moment. Everyone in the theater watched in awe, but when the big reveal came, I along with the rest of the crowd just kinda shook our heads. OH Well better luck next time Shamalamadingdong.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
I hope he does better on his next film...

Stormy Day
I think he could've worked a tad more on the ending erm

Bagtatta
I sort of wish he didn't have the twist ending cause I really loved the way the film was heading before it..

But I still enjoyed the movie even with the twist..just not as much as I probably would've liked it without it.

scarymvyfanatic
the movie would have been awesome if the monsters were really

botankus
What the hell did you want? A massacre, ala American Werewolf in Paris???? Or Dawn of the Dead????

Myth
Monster movies are crap. I'm glad that they aren't real.

Btw: Note the use of spoilers.

Stormy Day
Yeah remember spoilers no expression

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Stormy Day
Have you found a picture yet?

G.P
Please keep it to reviews. no expression

Stormy Day
We have been no expression

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
No we havent, honestly, SD, we've been discussing it and not reviewing what we thought of it. THe discussion for it needs to be held in the movie discussion forum, or the thread also made for it in the horror board. smile

miller_bomb
i found this movie to be a let down. though it was advertised as a horror movie it was more like a thriller, the movie itself was kind of long and uneventfull. the only part of the movie that was great was the end it was the ending! the generel idea for this movie wa kinda original yet really diden't have great entertament value

BloomBabyGirl
so from 1 to 10 what wouldu rate it

Stormy Day
10/10 cool

OnLy_FoR_OrLi

Stormy Day
sad

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
what?

Stormy Day
your rating sad

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
It deserves nothing more.

~AlluNeedIsLuv~
I loved this movie!!! i don't know why! i juts loved the concept of it and the story was great...i was totally expected something different..and he went totally the other way i loved that great movie ..not the best its not like is other movies but it was still great in my opinion! 8/10

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Stormy Day
I hate when random people come in like that and write this paragraaph review about how they love the movie and crap.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
eek!

G.P
That's what they are supposed to do in this particular forum so live with it or stop posting in that section.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Well..yea

Stormy Day
This isnt a review..........I sO FREAKING LOVED THE MOVIE.This was so awesome.It had so many twist and stuff I thought it was oging one way and it went the other!!!Ill give it a 10/10!!! erm

G.P
You can't ask people more than what thay can give. For many people what's ~AlluNeedIsLuv~ has posted is sufficient for a review. I learned to be less demanding for the quality of the member's critical mind. Not anybody is able (even physically - i.e has the time to do it) to make perfect reviews. If you are, good for you.

Darth Vicious
My god, why do people waste time and effort making worthless movies such as this one, the plot was stupid, it wasnt scary, guys like Joaquin phoenix and Adrian Brody who usually give awsome performances were reduced to this mediocre of a storyline and what bothers me the most was as a father myself, i want whats best for my kids but this guy not only sends his daughter into the woods but shes freaking blind, he must be nominated for father of the year besides knowing the truth and how the world really "was" should have been a piece of cake for him to get the medicines without raising too many questions, horrible movie, thanks god saw it bootlegged, i give it 1/2star out of 4!

Stormy Day
G.P.,any person can make a better review.If not your just stupid erm

I think the purpose for the girl being blind is so she wouldnt come back and tell everybody what she saw.She doesnt know how we live so its gives the audience the ability to think long-term.

Myth
No. She's in the loop now. She knows the monsters are fake so if she's going to blab, she might as well start there. I think they trust her now. I think the reason for her being blind is so they could play on the "they take pitty" thing.

Stormy Day
But she wont tell other people what its like on the outside world not giving the townspeople any reason to believe there not in the 1800s

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Nice yes

Lianslo
I just saw this movie...and I hated it. Complete waste of time. First off (this is completely random) i hated it that one of the main characters names was Lucious. I couldn't stop thinking about Harry Potter due to that fact. But, the plot was lame, and it wasn't even scary. And the creatures... maybe its just me...but demented porcupines just don't do it for me! stick out tongue

blackwidowlover
i thought it was so stupid the monsters weren't even real

a truely good scary movie would give me nightmares

Stormy Day
Remember to post spoiler for the sake of the people who havent seen it.

You guys where looking at all the bad things of it.Most horror movies today just throw a bunch of killing and bad acting and bad story.

This one gives you a story,characters that mean something,and a different setting and a different way of telling a certain story.I mean this movie did keep you in suspense the whole way through because you want to know just whats those monsters where and what they meant.I did have some frightening scenes to but most of all this movie relied on storys and character development more than anything else.I mean it could've gave you a bad acting,a killer who just starts choping people heads off for no reason but the director thought that that was just to un-original you guys should've been glad that this horror movie wasnt that same stuff you see in theaters all the time ;\

dhyorjs
hi. i've watched the village last friday. just wanna ask about the ending. i didnt quite get it. did lucius die? even before ivy came? and whose responsible for that "creature" thing? is it ivy's father? i know its noah at the end. but that time when ivy was standing the front door giving her hand to that "creature"? who's that? is it his father? that time when there is a wedding party?

please answer my questions. i need the answers as soon as possible. thanks. or you can give me a site where i can access the whole story. thanks.

SlipknoT
She was putting her hand out to get Lucius's hand, she couldsense that he was out there. And all of the elders were responsible for making the town think there were creatures in the woods

Stormy Day
^^I thought I answered those questions in the pm you sent me erm

Kella
Okay...don't persecute me, but I kinda liked the Village. I read the spoilers on it before I went and I kept an open mind. Some of the acting in it was lame, but I did like it. I don't feel that I entirely wasted my money. Maybe on the stale ass popcorn and flat rootbeer, but not the movie.
There were some laughable moments and there were a couple of moments where it was a little tense, but overall it was a good love story and I like the way it turned out.
It could have been better, but I think it was just fine the way it was.
I would have taken it a different direction, but I'm a writer and my brain is always improving storylines as I watch movies.
So...yeah...that's my opinion. big grin

Stormy Day
Glad you liked it big grin

jumpstartnick
I hated the movie. the wierd thing is that i remember once reading a book that was a lot like this movie but i cant remember the name of it the acting wasnt very good i mean cmon not for a second was i convinced that she was their wasnt very much substance to the story line I dont understand why m puts his name next to every title I think hes trying to be like alfred but fails miserably i did enjoy the 6th sence but after that each movie has steadily decreased and one more thing how was she able to climb up that tall straight wall at the end expecially if she is blind

<<Solo>>
I saw it to see if all of the hate was nessesary and it wasn't it was a great movie. It had class. But I'd have to say I really didn't need the present day twist at the end but other then that it was great.

powerfulone1987
This movie sucked on ice in my opinion. I wasn't surprised when i found out that it lost a third of its audience. it should of lost more than that.

Stormy Day
It is a good flick.The story and the characters are very good and thought out and thats what I loved best about the film.Im not scare crazy where I go to be scared and get mindless violence without the story.

I agree the twist needed some work erm

BackFire
Well considering the whole movie relied on the twist at the end, that is quite a large problem. The characters were horrible, they were barely one demensional.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>