Babylon 5

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

matchbox
Babylon 5 was a Sci fi show which was one of the best ever made!! it centred around a space station called.... Babylon 5.

the show was different from many other sci fi shyows by making humans much less advanced as other races. it also had the a similar rough humor that shows like Stargate and Farscape has today.

I thik it is one of the best sci fi show made, but what do you think!!!????!!!!

Mr Parker
Im in total agreement with you.I wish they would show them in re runs on the sci fi channel. sad

matchbox
i liked the shadow story line, i thought that was really stong and rich with idea they could draw from. but when it got to season 5 it went all weird and i stopped watching it!

SlickRick69
Season 1 was the best, but when they got rid of Commander Sinclair and Captain Sheridan came aboard and basically hijacked Sinclair's same storyline (with some few slight alterations, of course) I didn't like it much...

the story was still well-thought out and a good story, but would have played out so much better with Sinclair as the One and only The One.

I didn't like how they were forced to change it up so that Sinclair, and Sheirdan and Delenn were each all The One... the One that Was, the One that Is, and the One that Will Be. That was dumb. Would have been much much better to have Sinclair meet himself from the Past and from the Future during the time when Babylon 4 was being rescued and sent back to the distant past...

but, over all, it was still an excellent sci-fi show for the full 5 seasons

matchbox
i prefer season 3 with the shadows war in full swing.

i like the one where they restart the computers and it comes up with the computer ai with an attitude problem.

and the one where micheal goes looking for grey 17, the missing level!

Mortanius
I loved B5, but I thought it could have been better. Have you ever noticed that B5 had some similarities to Lord Of the Rings? The Minbari - Elfs. The shadow world is Zha Ha Dum which is similar to the name of the bridge that Gandalf falls from. The Balrog beast that Gandalf fights is from the shadows. Sheridan marries Dillen and Aragorn marries an elf.

Ushgarak
It WAS excellent, no doubt. It was hamstrung by production issues- the reason the Shadow War finishes so abruptly in season 4 and why season five seems to be dragging its heels so much is because they had been told there wouldn't BE a season 5; originally season 4 would have ended with the end of the war and season 5 would have been the fight for Earth, and tyhe ISA would never have appeared in the series.

Yes, obviously, LOTR was an influence- as was a lot of British sci-fi, as the creator, JMS, keeps going on about, JMS is a right nutter, by the way.

Still, it can be exaggerated and people can have selective memories. I preferred the more balancee character of Sinclair to the nutty "Problem... let's NUKE it!" approach of Sheridan (whose romance with Delenn never convinced me), but much of the first series is pretty lame standard sci-fi, with only a couple of episodes (most notably Babylon Squared) really pointing the way ahead. Incidentally, a lot of people make out that Sinclair was not greatly acted, but if you ask me, NONE of them acted well in the first series, even the bevloed Mollari and G'Kar. They all got better as time went by; Sinclair never got the chance. It seems likely he was dropped after some 'argument' with JMS; the re-plotting is a slight shame but it did all come out well in the end. Must of the last series was pretty dire was well, except the Centauri plotline, which was engaging but even that was really only a re-hash of the Shadow plot.

JMS did get to make War Without End (which orignally would have been the final episode, instead moved to mid-way through season three to close the arc left dangling by Sinclair;s departure), bringing Sinclair back, even though his 'warning' to Garibaldi seemed a bit pointless. Actually, there are a hundred continuity issues that interest me about that episode... but they'd probably bore you.

Anyway, certainly one of the best ever made, and it started the whole movement of multi-year storylines in other series (I especially noted how DS9 turned itself into a long-term plotter afater B5s success). Great stuff- but a shame it was never able to sequel itself with any success.

Mortanius
My favorite episode is when B5 decides to split with the Earth Government. And Earth and Centauri warships are attacking B5. A couple of Earth warships split too and try to help out B5. Then at the last minute, the Minbari show up and protect it. I always thought that the acting and effects were top notch on that episode.

What's great about the CG effects on that show is that somewhere down the line when they look too dated they can be redone.

matchbox
'much of the first series is pretty lame standard sci-fi', i thin kthat is really true for any first season of a show, as they ned to lay the foundtions for the following seasons.

Season 1 of staragte sucked quite bably, but that has gone on for 8 seasons now!

And i do thing they should have left it at the end of season 4. make it a short but sweet tv series. you can always stick a plot line in a tv movie, as they have done!

But overall i think it was and still is a good sci-fi show!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.