Suicide Club, a slap in the face to American viewers?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jinxy
I just saw the movie, Suicide Club, and boy did it piss me off. I guess the first thing I should tell you is that you don't have to worry about me spoiling the movie, because there is nothing to spoil!

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching the movie up until the last 10 minutes. It was well made, had many entertaining moments, many shocking moments, and a few "Omg Wtf just H@ppen3d?!" moments, but the ending was SEVERELY dissapointing.

I know that American cinema is often criticized for having the good guy always get the girl and always come out on top at the end of the day, but it seems that nearly all of the Japanese movies I have seen seem to take pride in the fact that they are nearly impossible to comprehend and lead the viewer into what can be described as a "deer in the headlights" state as they just try to figure out what the heck they just saw...

I guess I just want to hear what other people have to say about this before I launch into the particulars, so please feel free to criticize me, my viewpoints, or other Japanese movies you have seen and I'll try to respond in a civilized manner

Cinemaddiction
The majority of the Asian cinema I have seen, albeit little, was easy to follow.

Ringu
St. John's Wort
Extreme Challenge
Battle Royale
Versus

Any instances? What was so hard to follow, anyway?

Jinxy
Ugh, its just really really hard to explain the plot of this movie to someone who hasn't seen it, but I'll try to avoid spoilers as much as possible...

This would be the plot of Battle Royale if it were more like Suicide Club. (I'm getting all of the Battle Royale info off of IMBD)

First of all, the roll of the government agency that "May or may not" be linked to the suicides/forced-killings would be played by a pop group name Desaart comprised entirely of 12-13 year old girls.

Secondly, none of the students would start the movie wearing the explosive collars, but they would all mysteriously have them on at the time of their deaths

Thirdly, 99% of all the students are happy and smiling as they die.

Add in a website that shows the number of suicides/deaths after they happen, but before they are reported to the police

and, psuedo-spoilerly The movie would end with a bunch of students with machine guns pointed at eachother wearing the explosive collars, putting down the weapons and taking off the collars whilst other students continue to shoot eachother all around them

oh, and toss in a few bags of skin too. sad

Shandra
wow, the ending of the movie i watched had no such thing in the end...it ended with Dessart singing their last song... ... ... ...

Cipher
How is this a slap in ther face of American viewers? Because of school shootings?

Cinemaddiction
Just got around to watching this one and alls I can say is that it had potential. That potential all but evaporated after the first 10 grueling minutes. It got campy real fast and only weirder by the minute. An Asian glam rock band that hung out in a deserted bowling alley, kids willingly throwing themselves off buildings, and just a cooky, cooky pointless plot.

Rent it if you must, but it is an odd, odd flick, with no ties to "Fight Club"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.