Tolkien's selected letters.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shaber
There is a collection of Tolkien's letters available in book form. Has anyone come across it?

Exabyte
You mean this 600 - pages - thing?

Yep, I have it stick out tongue it's great to read, VERY interesting letters, most of them pretty long.... they give an excellent portray of Tolkien as a person and also the political situation during his time and stuff like that... and loads of fascinating material about Middle-earth because he answered loads of fanmail with quite long explanations.
It's also where for example the basics for the reconstruction of the quenya noun grammar can be found big grin

Darth Sauron
Its also where you can learn to forge his signature from yes

shaber
Does it have anything relating to criticism on his work?

Darth Sauron
Probably....

Exabyte
Criticism? Well, he comments some criticism made by others (who usually misunderstood something...)
Mainly by publishers though

shaber
Alot of so called critics arrogantly dismissed his fantasy work. There isn't a large amount of merit there.

Darth Sauron
Critics just say what other critics do

shaber
yeah. But I've come across some real rubbish posing as criticism on Tolkien. I doubt the so called critics had ever glanced at his writing!

Darth Sauron
Must have done

Exabyte
Yea, you sometimes get the impression that they have no idea what LoTR is about and that somebody just told them the names about the main characters, and the rest - erm erm

... yea, the letters have some of Tolkien's comments on strange criticism... also his commentation of a planned film of LoTR stick out tongue quite interesting to read

It answers some of the main questions that are asked all the time in the forums

shaber
One critic confused Bilbo and Frodo! eek!

ladygrim
smile

Darth Sauron
Thats insane blink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.