Why didnt the Mithril Vest NOT protect Frodo from shelob?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OrliNElijahsGrl
Alright we know Frodo has the Mithril vest on and everything, and it saved him from the cave trolls stabbing in fellowship, NOW...on ROTK when shelob stabbed Frodo with her stinger, shouldnt the Mithril vest save him again from the stabbing, why all of a sudden, hes hurt when hes stabbed by shelob with her stinger, but isnt when hes stabbed by the cave troll!

I mean..the mithril should of been thick enough to block the stab from shelob, leaving frodo un hurt

its been bugging me for a while now!

Kitoky
I say that's one of their mistakes - it didn't show where exactly Shelob stung him and we're guessing that it was just below the mithril shirt.

In the books he got stung on the neck.

Thorondor
it shows you when he's in cirith ungol when he roles over. The scar is on his right shoulder.

Smodden
I'm not sure but I thought that wound was from the witch king(the right shoulder)

shelob is a powerfull creature...maybee she could pierce the vest...
or maybee she struck just above the vest...

Exabyte
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295451

Same question

wink

Thorondor
Wiki was on the left...honestly pay attention stick out tongue

Darth Sauron
In the book she stings his neck.

The film version is just a mistake made by Peter 'i like to change' Jackson smile

OrliNElijahsGrl
Hmmm...cause it looks like shelob stabs him right around the same spot where the cave troll stabs him, and it just doesnt make any sense if the mithril vest can protect him from the stab from the cave troll and not protect him from shelobs stabbing, maybe your right, maybe her stinger was strong enough to go through the mithril, but its just been bugging me! And when it shows wide shots of Frodo tied up and trying to get out of the ropes, i dont even see a place where she stabbed him, unless i missed it, ill have to recheck and see but i remember not seeing a stab place where she stabbed him

Dark_Lord1389
i never saw a stab spot either

shaber
I bet Shelob undressed him first shifty

Thorondor
The cave troll stabbed him in the stomach o.O doesn't anyone pay attention to detail?

OrliNElijahsGrl
yeah, i saw that the cave troll stabbed him in the stomach, and it seems like thats where shelob stabbed him too, but even if she did stab him around the same spot as the cave trolls stabbing or more above it, the mithril should of protected him from it!

Oooh well at least im not the only one who didnt see shelobs stab wound on frodo, im going to watch and see tonight to see if i see it, but i remember as watching it the many times i do, i remember not seeing it, but im gonna recheck

LOL@shaber! thats funny!

Greenleaf_luver
Why didn't the mithril vest protect frodo from the troll's weapon thing. And even if it wasn't thick enough, then why did he look like he was in a ton of pain and then suddenly not? I'm confused. confused

OrliNElijahsGrl
the mithril did protect frodo from the troll stabbing him, maybe he was acting like he was in pain so the troll would leave him be, but the mithril did save him, BUT...why didnt it save him from shelobs stabbing?

And i did watch ROTK tonight and looked to see if i could see the wound from shelob whenever he was shirtless and tied up, i didnt see any wound mark, i rewinded and rewinded and didnt see any wound mark where shelob stabbed him, AND i even noticed, before Frodo got stabbed by shelob, that it looks like he doesnt even have the mithril on, cause in the beginning when i showed him put the ring back under his shirt, you can see the mithril really well, but before shelob stabbed him and she was doing the sneak attack on him, you dont see the mithril

shaber
In the book Frodo was stabbed by a large orc and the mithril stopped the blade from piercing him, but he still felt like he was struck very hard in the stomach. That would have winded anyone.

Thorondor
Oh for ffs if you won't listen i won't bother.

ladygrim
just a mistake i think

OrliNElijahsGrl
im listening thorondor!

Right shaber, but the point im trying to get across is why didnt the mithril save frodo from shelob if it could protect him from the cave trolls stabbing!

shaber
I've suggested an answer to that, too shifty

OrliNElijahsGrl
whats the suggestion...cause its been driving me bonkers lately!

shaber
hmmmmmmmmm...........

OrliNElijahsGrl
LOL okay i highly doubt she undressed him first! LOL!!

Thorondor
Right the reason the shirt didn't protect him is because it is a low cut top (stupidly), the troll got him in the stomach....shelob stabbed him on his right shoulder above the cut off from his shirt.

OrliNElijahsGrl
wait...that makes no sense, yes the troll stabbed him in the stomach, and the mithril protected him from that and yes its a low cut top kind of mithril shirt, but it looks to me that shelob stabs him in the stomach..not on the shoulder...but in the book it says he was stabbed in the neck or...maybe it was the shoulder, but in the film, it def. looks like he was stabbed in the stomach, AND...just to point out...during the sneak attack that shelob does and frodo is looking around, it doesnt look like he even has the mithril shirt on, cause i remember being able to see it at the beginning of ROTK but during that part where shelob does the sneak attack, it looks like frodo doesnt even have the mithril on! lol

ahhhhh confusion

Thorondor
You know if you took the time to read the other thread you might understand....but then again maybe he takes it off for some stupid reason in the EE

shaber
Maybe Shelob took it off for some strange reason shifty

Thorondor
Do you have a spider fetish stick out tongue

shaber
Wondered why Frodo's off females permanently? no expression

OrliNElijahsGrl
Maybe there is something we missed, that we will be able to see in the extended, cause maybe he does take it off for some reason, cause i swear to you, the many zooming and rewinding and looking close that ive done on that part, i see no mithril shirt AT ALL, like his shirt is sort of like low cut, and at the beginning, u were able to see some of the mithril, but during the sneak attack from shelob, theres that wide shot, i saw no mithril shirt, just skin! LOL

OrliNElijahsGrl
what other thread?

OrliNElijahsGrl
By the way...witchys stab was on the right! it was on the right shoulder, i REMEMBER, cause i see frodo laying there and getting stabbed, and also..he clutches his right shoulder all the time, expecially when witchy comes out and screeches, he goes "I can feel his blade" and hes rubbing his...RIGHT SHOULDER! lol

Thorondor
Sorry but if you people are going to be so wrong im not going to bother cause you won't accept it.

Exabyte
Merge?
erm
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295451&perpage=40

One of you obviously saw the films mirrored stick out tongue

It's on the left side.

http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/decipher_cards/108_oelberethgilthoniel.jpg

... ok, a pic won't help much as it could be mirrored as well stick out tongue

But it IS on the left side
Remember - one of the splinters nearly reached the heart, and *most* people have their hearts a little more on the left side stick out tongue

Hwestariel
I don't remember it being in the stomach! I thoguht it was in the back of the neck... it was like he was standing there and then you hear a sound like a club and spit starts coming out of his mouth. I dunno i oculd be wrong...
Onen i-Estel Edain, u-chebin estel anim.

OrliNElijahsGrl
Ooooo i get the witchy stab now! BUT now im curious about the shelob stabbing!

RIGHT HERE...in a script of ROTK

it says...Shelob stabs him quickly somewhere around his torso and lower body.

see!!! but wheres the wound mark when you see him shirtless and tied up?! you dont see it...ahh this is all too confusing

OrliNElijahsGrl
Thoronder, its okay, im just trying to understand it, cause its been bugging me now...OKAY now i get that IF he was stabbed in the stomach or torso, how the mithril wouldnt of saved him, but now my question is...wheres the wound mark on his stomach where hes tied up and shirtless? if they made the wound mark on his shoulder to represent the shelob stabbing then they should of had her stab him the shoulder instead of having her stab him in the stomach, which basically where it looks like she stabs him! LOL this is all confusing

frodosam
i think the reason is that she didn't stab him in the cheast. aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh i can't remember. or maybe because he didn't have it on. maybe gollum stole it from them ?

Angelboy817
Shelob stabbed Frodo in the back am i the only one that saw that it was right above the vest mad

Angelboy817
and he did have it on after he was stabbed when the trolls came they took the mythril vest am i the only one that pays attention mad mad mad mad mad

Exabyte
blink

............there were no trolls blink only orcsesss confused

Fan of LOTR
Frodo clearly gets stabbed on his front side not his back. And that is just a mistake in the movie so their really is no more to say than its a mistake.

elvish_child
kk he was wearing a mithril chain mail not a vest cmon people get into the real world lol.
i know lots about mithril from the game i play. mithril is the 4th best armour. if frodo have weared adamanite it would of only scrathed him a tiny bit. if he worn rune armour there would only b a mark on his chain mail. if he worn dragon armour very rare there would b no scratch and the tip of the dagger would of melted.

SORRY I M JUST A BIG RUNESCAPE FREAK LVL 74 COMBAT 900+ SKILL TOTAL

Exabyte

elvish_child
if they had rune in middle-earth ha if one army gets ahold of that ha . there un-stopable

Exabyte

OrliNElijahsGrl
so your saying, whether he did get stabbed on the stomach and the mithril SUPPOSLY was supposed to save him, there wouldnt of been a mark, but...if he got stabbed in the stomach then maybe the mithril didnt go that far, there should of been a mark, ahh all confused!

seretur
I think he made it like that because otherwise he would have to create a digital Frodo, and I don't know about you but I don't want to see someone get stebed in the neck by a giant stinner.

daronisgod
He didn't get stabbed in the stomach...
he definately didn't get stabbed in the back, were you even watching the right movie.
He got stabbed in his chest above the mithril vest...

http://www.sean-astin.net/gallery/rotkcaps2/cirithungol/PDVD_743.jpg

You can clearly see the scar here (the yellowy colored one), is just slightly above where the mithril vest's neckline would have been...

(The other scar is from the Wiki)

In this next shot you can see how low the neckline is... in some shots the neckline appears higher i.e. when he is sat up, but I'm assuming thats because when you are in a sitting position your clothes tend to bunch up and when Shelob stings him he is standing so the neckline is quite low.

http://www.bagendinn.com/group/images/costumed/fotr/caps2/cap787.jpg

So it ISN'T a mistake.

daronisgod
Sorry I was going to edit my message to say that the caps are for emphasis not because I'm shouting, perhaps using bold would have been better, I'm afraid I didn't realise you had to edit your message within 15 mins.

Sorry for double posting but I wanted to make sure people didn't think I was shouting.

seretur
I thought that the yellow scar was from the troll.

daronisgod
It's looks too fresh to be from the troll it looks like its infected or something, which is why its yellow instead of scar coloured, I'm fairly certain scarring isn't generally that colour on anyone, that is also judging by his other scar which looks quite a lot like his actually skin tone.

So I'm assuming that isn't so much a scar as infected skin around where he was stung, from whatever poison was injected when he was stung.

OrliNElijahsGrl
that makes sooooooooooooooo much more sense to me now the more i read ur explaination and look at the pics!!! BUT....if he was stabbed in the chest, why does it look like she gets him in the stomach, cause i thought she did, it looks like it

hehehee, maybe it was the viewing...the angle...lol

daronisgod
I tried to find a pic of where Shelob is positioned just before she stings him, but the only one I found was really blurry... so I didn't bother posting it, as its not really possible to draw any conclusions from it.

Personally I never got the impression Shelob stabbed him in the stomach, but its hard to say just going from the scene itself, I did get the impression that it was quite high, but I could be wrong.

I'll try and take some screenshots for you tomorrow, to see if we can arrive at a conclusion, but I'm afraid right now I really tired, as I didn't get any sleep last night.

ladygrim
thats a nasty looking scar

daronisgod
Ok so I finally got round to taking the screenshots, unfortunately they all came out blurry, so this is the clearest I could get...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/victimofadown/shelobsting.jpg

To me this shows that he gets stabbed in the chest area, the area where his yellowy-coloured wound is. I think the best way decide for yourself is too watch the scene really closely.

But I believe he was stung above the mithril vest as I demonstrated before, and that the yellow coloured wound is the result and that therefore he must have been stung in the chest area as I have always believed. smile

Bantache
I hate to point it out but, your title has a double negative so what your really saying is why did the shirt protect him, which it didn't.

Perhaps Mithril is a stranger substance than it first is made out to be. Perhaps Mordor makes it weaker, or somehow Shelob issued poison as she went to sting Frodo that melted the Mithril that we didn't see.

ladygrim
eek i never noticed that bout the title ..

daronisgod
I noticed.

I prefer my explanation, its more logical.

ladygrim
lol...smile

flyingsparrow
if u look closly in fellowship u'll notice that he was scared from the cave trolls. Hence in rotk when he is laying shirtless he has two wounds one on each shoulder one from the morgul blade the other from the spear in moria.

daronisgod
At what point do they show Frodo with a scar from the cave troll.

The mithril shirt protected him if he had been wounded he wouldn't have said "I'm alright, I'm not hurt" would he, everything that happens after the cave troll stabs Frodo, leads us to believe that Frodo was uninjured by the troll.

Besides its fairly obvious which is the scar from the Wiki and the other is too fresh to be from the cave troll look at it, that is a very recent injury, not a scar.

eugenie_e
Oh my gosh............I know this thread is old but Orlineelijahsgrl you are ridiculous. Sorry but in the fellowship, Frodo isn't scared but the cave troll only bruised! Aragorn heals him! Then when Shelob stings him he is jabbed in the neck not the back. Then when you see him in the tower the scars are from the blade he is jabbed with in the fellowship by the nazgul. And the other scar is from the ring!

Exabyte
Nothing as refreshing to read as a 8 year old rotten thread happy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.