Which TCM is the best?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PissedOffGoalie
Original or remake? i like the original best but the remake's pretty awesome

BackFire
The original is infinitely better then the unnecessary and mundane remake.

Cinemaddiction
Age old question.

I have come to respect the original TCM for the shock value it provided for it's time. That said, the original and all the horror movies of it's time have been trumped, but do hold their place in cinematic history.

However, the TCM remake just held my attention. Kept me interested, and casting Jessica Biel, in turn making her a real potential scream queen didn't hurt.

My vote went to the remake.

Pirate_Girly
Even though the remake was rated one of the worst movies of 2003, i give it a 8.5/10 I liked it bunches

HockeyHorror
stupid thread...

vote> original

Dogbert
Harsh, but true Hockey smile
This isn't even a real question; the original blows the remake out of the water yes

PissedOffGoalie
im going with the original because it was based on a true stroy. by the way im going to blockbuster tomorrow and my mom says i can only get 1 movie. what should i get?!

Cinemaddiction
1) It's not based on a true story.

2) The 2003 version isn't on DVD yet.

..and guys, it's not a "stupid" or "pointless" thread. People are going to have differing opinions. Hopefully, people respect my opinion re: the remake, just because it boils down to personal preference.

amlap
im not a huge fan of the movies but i think ill go with the original just because i felt that the newer one was looking more for those cheap scares where the original had true creepyness.

alough i will admit that the guy hanging from the hook hitting the keys with his toe is pretty awesome!

Cinemaddiction
By the way, I like your sig line pic, and I felt inspired to jazz it up. Take 'em if ya want.

Cinemaddiction
One more..

BackFire
What movie you like more is a matter of opinion. The part that is fact, is the origina is indeed the better film. It was more important, more creative, more original, and far better in every possible respect.

It is recognized by just about everyone who matters as one of the most important and influential horror films of all time. This alone makes it better then the remake, plus the fact that the remake did nothing special or different for the genre then any other modern horror movie.

But, like I said. Which movie you like better is your own personal opinion, but the original is factually a better film.

Pirate_Girly
Sorry to break it to you, somewhere in the this board i had another TCM thread, and everyone was talking about how it was real....Its not real, at all..It was bades on a man named Edward Gein, Yes he DID slaughter his victims and wear their skin, but what he didnt do was, live in texas, live in a big house, slaughter the victims in his own home, or use a chainsaw.
He didnt have very many ALIVE victims, most of the ones were alraedy dead, he took them from their graves, cut their skin off and wore it.
so the story is based on a tad bit of truth, but not much.

BackFire
Yep, the story of TCM is very very loosely based on Ed Gein. He also ate the bodies he dug up, which is where the caniballism came from in TCM. He also made furniture out of the bone, which also happened in tcm.

PissedOffGoalie
i didnt mean tcm! i meant ANY movie. i wanna see Cannibal Holocaust but i've seen all the Halloween movies except part 6 so i want to get that. which one's better?

BackFire
Cannibal Holocaust is outstanding.

PissedOffGoalie
then i'll get that thanks!
oh and is it gory or scary? to me gore isnt scary just gross

BackFire
It's really gory.

PissedOffGoalie
i'm seeing it. i love gory movies!!!!!! r there any guts spilling out?! WAIT DONT TELL ME i wanna be surprised

BackFire
Just so you know, there's actual animal deaths in the movie, and they are very graphic.

Asami
I saw the VipCo version I think - there were still bits missing so the turtle shell didn't really make sense to me until I read up about it on the booklet that came with it.

As for TCM, I'll have to stick with the original because I honestly found the remake *coughRUBBISHcough*

PissedOffGoalie
hey when i was a little girl (like 7 or 8) i used to go to my grandmother's farm every summer and i saw ACTUAL animal deaths, in person not on tv so i think i'll be fine

Lord_Andres
I respect BF's and all others opinion in that the original is better, you probobly grew up with that movie, but I like the original better, a good exaple, I love DOOM (The pc game) but almust all of my friends hate it becasue of the outdated graphics, I've played that game since I was 5 or 6 and still play it and love it, but I respect their opinion, to me that is the best game ever, to them it's the worst pice of crap.

Asami
Do you mean you prefer the remake?! Hey... I'm not that old, I didn't grow up on that movie, I just prefer it!
I know what you mean with games though, I can play Super Mario all the time, just don't get bored of it

mook

eggmayo
I would go with the remake, as i found the original boring and not creepy

BackFire
If they care that much about graphics then the fact of the matter is, they aren't real gamers. Real gamer's, smart gamers can look past dated graphics to find other brilliant aspects of great older games, like doom.

SumWatTwisted
Original is almost always best.

leatherface12
Definately the original. That movie was way better than the remake.

LeatherLep43
I loved the remake! It's awesome! My favorite!

Pirate_Girly
I agree!!!!! go us, we like the remake.

Mordecai
I vote original, i thought the remake was boring, it didn't have the dirty unsettling atmosphere of the original, all it had were the jump bits like all slasher movies, but it wasn't a bad movie at all by itself, but compared to the original i found it a tad boring.

The majority of the film for me was spent perving on Jessica Biel's hot ass, not as good as the original.

Good day. beer

Pirate_Girly
Actually i think the original wasnt gorey enough, compared to the remake. I about fell asleep during the original

Sigillum_Diaboli
i havent seen the original confused

Pirate_Girly
I saw it for the first and ONLY time like 4 or 5 months ago

Zilverz
I liked both versions of TCM. I feel the original was the superior film. Even though the remake fell drastically behind the Original, The fine girl I took to see it ended up getting scared, so we got drunk and she stayed the night with me wearing the tiniest thong ever !!! So the remake does get notabile mention for me (;

Pirate_Girly
LMAO THATS FUNNY.
Well,well,well i went to see eric balfour, who got killed in the movie *cries* but i lloved the film

Pablo G
Haven't seen the remake but voted original since that dinner scene disturbed me.

Pirate_Girly
The dinner scene wierded me out also.

Zilverz
I tripped out when they were giggling and trying to bash her head with the sledge...and the grandpa kept dropping it .. Todd comprised such a horrifying climax with those lunatics.. it just made me laugh.. it was great!

Pirate_Girly
That would be a great family to live in..NOT.

LeatherLep43
The dinner scene was weird. I think the writer of the script just jotted down lines for that scene. A baby could write what the writer wrote for that scene. The script lines were very simple. I wouldn't be surprised if the actors didn't get paid more than $100! It was so dumb looking. The scene were Franklin gets killed in the woods is so retarded. They couldn't even pan around to see the chainsawed remains of Franklin's body. Oh, and I did slow motion on the DVD of the original when the hitch-hiker is killed by the diesel. And guess what... it's like they threw a dummy right in front of the truck. The dummy was in the air before it was even hit. But that scene they didn't even show for a mili-second. They paned around the the other side where you see him get ran over . But I think ya'll should press the 'step' button on that part or do the slowest slow motion and see for yourself. it's cool. it shows you how cheap theyw ere back then. the remake is the best! great thrills. everyone there was sooo shocked and scared. they can't actually beleive it happened here in texas! yeah, i live in texas. but the remake was awsome! -DISCUSSION CLOSED-

BackFire
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. First of all, it didn't actually happen, I can't believe you don't know this. It's loosely based on the serial killer Ed Gein. The only part of the story that is factual is - The serial killer made funiture out of the bones of his victims, The serial killer made masks out of the flesh of his victims. That's all. The story is fictional in every other way.

Also, all the so called flaws you pointed out are pretty much knitpicking. I don't know what you expect from a low budget movie from 1974, but they had to cut alot of corners to make the film. And the fact that it remains one of the most respected, and innovative films of all time in the horror genre shows just how strong a film it is. Despite them "throwing a dummie in front of a truck". That's a downright stupid complaint. Of course they threw a dummie in front of the truck, what did you expect them too do? Use computer animation to do the stunt?
I'll bet that if do a slow motion viewing of alot of older horror films, you'll find stuff like that, most peopel have enough common sense to overlook those pointless things, because they needed to be done to make the film.

And your complaint about franklins death is null and void. The reason the movie is so powerful is because it doesn't use gore to get a reaction from the viewer, it implies everything that happens and makes the viewer finish off the acts in their head. It does this very well, since after seeing the movie, many people think they saw things that weren't in the movie. Like the hook actually going through the girl when she was hung, or Franklin getting cut in half in a very graphic way. But of course, none of these actually happened, they were all implied, and the viewers finished the act in their mind. It's something that is very difficult for a film maker to do, and it takes alot of skill to do it properly. That's probably why they couldn't do it in the remake, no one had any talent in that film.

Also, you're complaint about the dinner scene is extremely questionable, and frankly it's wrong. The scene is written very well, I doubt a baby could write down all the gruesome details of the scenery, such as a lampshade made out of human flesh. What exactly do you not like about the script for that scene? Do you know like that it's simple and believable? Maybe instead of her screaming and the monsters making fun of her, you would have prefered a nice, mellow discussion between her and her antagonisers about shakespear or something. Don't be silly, that scene was written as simply as possible to be believe and raw. It's one of the most infamous scenes of the film, because it's so disturbing and shocking. It was done perfectly fine, despite your nonsense complaints.

You definately show you're age, and ignorance in this last post. Not only in claiming that the acts portrayed in the films are real, but trying to point out mundain, knitpicking flaws that have no actual bearing on the story, or the movie in any way. The bottom line is this - The original is recognized by experts, and other horror film makers as a masterpiece, and as one of the most innovative horror films of the past 40 years. When it was released, nothing like it had been made. And still too this day, I've yet to see a film as effective, original, or disturbing and believable then The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's a movie that deserves everyones respect, because if it weren't for that film, you wouldn't have Halloween, Friday the 13th, or any other big name series that's around right now. This movie paved the way for them all. Which is more then you can say for that typical, run of the mill, and unnecessary remake that simply soils the series.

leatherface12
I agree with backfire.

LeatherLep43
Dude, I already know that. But I was like... I want to think it hapened here. If you act like it's real then the movie can be scarier. And I do know what I'm talking about! mobile

BackFire
Doesn't sound like it from your stupid and ignorant complaints. And no matter what you do, that crappy remake isn't going to be scary.

Pirate_Girly
Go Backfire...Even though I like the remake, i like your comment on how it wasnt real..I tried saying that on this thread somewhere, but oh well

LeatherLep43
Rude mad People are so rude these days. Can't even say your own opinion. Maybe you should check your messages BackFire.

Pirate_Girly
hush, TCM can have any comments intrusted on it as it wants, as well as tto he people who have comments on it too..Dont talk to BackFire like that.

LeatherLep43
And how did I talk? Actually, I didn't talk... I typed. And this is how the administraters close the topic. There is no reason for side-taking. And I'm not causing a huge fight over a movie, okay?

Pirate_Girly
Im not taking anyone's side, as i said everyone has their comments on tcm, Thats you. And Backfire had his too..so im the mediator.

BackFire
Oh, now I can't say my opinion huh? I didn't say anything bad about you personally, just the complaints you raised were stupid in my eyes and erased any credibility you may have over the topic of discussion, which in turn makes you ignorant as well.

Pirate_Girly
So, TCM remake is out March 31st anyone thinking of buying it? I know i am. Ive alraedy forgot some of the scenes..have ta refresh my memory of Eric Balfour *drools*

LeatherLep43
Ugh...

Zilverz
PG im sure you can find some pictures of him on the net q:

Pirate_Girly
No..alraedy been to eric balfour site there is and they havent anything good..ive got about 80 pictures of him..thats all.

Pirate_Girly
been to every***

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.