The LEAST Talented Filmmaker of All Time?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Primitive Screwhead #1
Well, there's been extensive discussion about the most talented filmmakers of all time... but after having watched Troy last night, I have to comment that Wolfgang Petersen is going in the wrong direction with his movies ever since he did the excellent Das Boot. I think that Troy is Petersen's worst work yet... Orlando Bloom was completely laughable with his portrayal of Paris (look beyond the pretty boy looks all you Bloomers... he was utterly mis-cast here), Brian Cox completely overracted, and way too many liberties were taken with the Trojan history. Even worse, I was completely devastated seeing Peter O'Toole's acting ability wasted in scenes with a Brad Pitt who didn't look like he had any desire to be on the set.

I'm not saying Petersen's at worst director level ever just yet (save that for Ed Wood), but if he keeps up at his current pace, he'll be working his way into that group very soon. Air Force One? The Perfect Storm? Outbreak? I would never have thought movies like these would have come from the same director as In The Line of Fire and Das Boot.

At any rate, I didn't want this to turn into a Troy review. I wanted to see if anyone was in agreement that Petersen needs a couple decent outputs to salvage his directorial reputation. He'll get his chance with Ender's Game in 2006... but I'm not holding my breath.

BackFire
Spike Lee. His movies are always the same propganda bullshit.

BloomBabyGirl
ya down with spike lee. i like all of wolgang petersons films

WindDancer
Without a doubt is gotta be Danny Boyle! Only two of his films are very good. Transpotting and Shallow Grave. From there he has stunk like skunk! A life less ordinary, The Beach, 28 days later? Bah!

Another down the hill filmaker is John Woo (yeah I admit he is not the same) His best films are Hard Boiled, The Killer, Face off, but after that he made Mission Imposible 2, WindTalkers, Paycheck?....Yuck!

Primitive Screwhead #1
Just out of curiosity, what did you like about Air Force One?

BloomBabyGirl
are u serious? i loved air force one. what didnt u like bout it? acting was pretty good and i like movies about how screwed americas presidents are and cmon its harrison ford

BloomBabyGirl
ok i lied i dont like AAL of em. the never ending story was shit

Primitive Screwhead #1
I think the premise was a little far-fetched... and the escape pod bit just really set me over the edge in terms of realism. This was the starting point in Ford's career where he really seemed to be out of place in the roles he was taking (Random Hearts, Six Days Seven Nights and Sabrina are all movies during that time frame that were bad choices for him in my opinion).

Still, I don't fault him for taking the roles. I'm merely stating that Peterson's casting efforts and style certainly took a turn for the worse later on in his career.

Conversely, I actually thought Neverending Story wasn't too bad. Of course, we'll never really get to know now if Jonathan Brandis could ever make it as an adult actor. How unfortunate that he committed suicide.

BloomBabyGirl
so sad. six days seven night was terrible...any way....of course air force 1 wasnt real but cmon,,...tell me u didnt like watching the president squirm

Mortanius
Kevin Smith.

roundisfunny
Michael Bay. I also agree about John Woo's American works.

BloomBabyGirl
il iked paycheck if only it wasnt ****ed up by ben afflek

Jedi Priestess
Well here's my opinion, which is sure to get a rise out of the masses....I HATE Tarrentinos stuff. messed

bardock
peter jackson sucks major whale ass

mhuda
There are two least talented filmmakers of all time: W-A-C-H-O-W-S-K-I B-R-O-S.

Thanks to their stupid movie The Matrix Revolultions, they used to be cool directors, but now they're shadows of themselves. They proved that they had nothing to offer with their stupid Matrix sequels...okay, at least The Matrix Reloaded was tolerable, but The Matrix Revolutions made me angry. That movie should be trashed in a fire so nobody has to ever endure that horror show again.

Creechuur
Whoever made The Muskateer. That movie was so bad it made me mad to capitalize the name just now. American accents in a period movie set in France was one of the less annoying horrors. God, how I hate that guy, whatever his name is.

McG can suck it as well.

Primitive Screwhead #1
That would be Peter Hyams. Good call on that one... let's see, he's also blessed us with the following garbage:

End of Days
Timecop
Sudden Death
Stay Tuned
The Relic (probably the best of this lot)

Hyams completely slipped my mind.

BloomBabyGirl
o god. i thought i would neer have to hear bout time cop again no

Zerosparx
Stephen Sommers...I only know of 3 of his movies but they are all horrible. He also edits his films to have lower ratings to make more money off teenagers.

Bad Boy
How can people mention Michael Bay, Stephen Sommers, John Woo blah.... cos at least these guys do something original- love it our hate it.

It's as simple as this....... PAUL W. ANDERSON

Primitive Screwhead #1
Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat weren't THAT bad. But in reference to the horrid follow-up MK: Annihilation, I think John Leonetti also needs to be added to the "shit list". Other films by him:

Joe Dirt
The Scorpion King
Child's Play 3
Detroit Rock City
Hot Shots! Part Deux
Honey

Well, skin me alive and call me luggage... that is a really BAD track record!

Mr Parker

BloomBabyGirl
il iked resident evil and im gonna go see resident evil apocolypse

Darth Jello
Joel Schumacher
Ed Wood
Jerry Bruchheimer
Joe Esterhas
Meir Zarchani
John Peters
-Horrible, Horrible Shit.

SlipknoT
Joe Dirt was pretty good

Primitive Screwhead #1
are you saying that those 3 movies you just mentioned Air Force One,The Perfect Storm and Outbreak were bad films? If so,your way off target,those were excellent well made films.

Exactly how can an opinion be off target? We merely disagree in taste.

Cinemaddiction
He's only directed "Mortal Kombat 2". The rest, he only served as cinematographer. I know for a fact that "Hot Shots: Part Deux" was Jim Abrahams.

Primitive Screwhead #1
I stand corrected, CA. Wasn't reading all the way on IMDB. And you're right... I should have known better on Hot Shots II. Guess Leonetti just has a track record of being tied to subpar flicks.

Mr Parker
Exactly how can an opinion be off target? We merely disagree in taste.

Okay well with The Perfect Storm and Outbreak while even though "I" really enjoyed them,I can understand you not liking them because I have come across people before who also thought they were not that great,but Im shocked that you could put AIR FORCE ONE in there as not one of his best if not the best of his because I have NEVER encountered anybody who thought that was a poorly made film. confused

BloomBabyGirl
thank you eek! air force one was great

Zerosparx
Bad Boy thinks Stephen Sommers is original???? The Mummy movies were just updates of the 1932 film. And Van Helsing is based off several novels. All he's done so far is re-hashed old film characters.

Bagtatta
1st off I don't know how someone named Peter Jackson, they're crazy..

Second, I don't know how Sommers messed up Van Helsing. That could've been the coolest movie ever and he messed it up, Sommers is by far one of the shittiest film-makers ever.

Anderson, Mortal Kombat is indeed horrible..but it is also a new age classic..

Umm..Joe Dirt = Good movie, will be a new aged classic years from now.

I think Sommers is by far one of the worst...

Creechuur
MK: Annihilation was so bad I walked out of the theater after 20 minutes. Thats the only movie I've ever walked out on.

I was going to say Schumaker too, but he's made some good flicks like Phone Booth and 8mm. Too bad he will NEVER live down those horrid Batman movies.

Mr Zero
Try watching Air force one, but pretend that Harrison Ford (as the president) is having an incestuous relationship with his daughter....

It changes the whole dynamic of the movie and makes it quite watchable.

Mr Zero
Much as I dislike his 2 batman movies - props to Schumaker for PB and 8mm, both damn fine movies... I listened to the Directors commentary on Phone Booth and Joel is a passionate and committed director who knows his game. If you have it or rent it, give the track a listen, it's one of the best I've heard.

Doubt he's much fun to work for, but occasionaly his product is something exceptional.

theone0103
Michael Moore...he is complete jerk especially when he made Farenheit 9/11 just his oppuinion.

Mr Zero
Yeah! That's why Quentin Tarantino (president) and the rest of the jury at Cannes this year gave Moore the "worst film of all time award"...

No! WAIT! My mistake, they game him the Palm d'Or for best film.

Guess that makes them idiots and you some sort of cinematic genius?

Cinemaddiction
Any award coming from a hack like Quentin should be taken with a grain of salt. I've never been a fan of empty Academy Awards to begin with.

WindDancer
I'm big fan of QT and admire his work as a filmaker and director. But I don't think he makes a great judge. I'm thinking he awarded the film becuase of the way is film and EDITED.

Mr Zero
Yes, the jury said that F9/11 was given the award because it was the best film not because of it's politics. Personally I thought the film could have been handled much better - but fact remains that many many people think Moore is a talented film-maker.

And Mr Addiction - even if you don't like what Tarantino does and think he's over-rated: you must surely admit that he has a good eye as a director and editor?

Bad Boy
At the end of the day, all directors are hard working! What right have we people who have no experience of the pressures of filmmaking (apart from me :P) got to criticise them!

Zerosparx
We spend our hard earned money to get the best out of a movie, thats why I say if you make a film make it d*mn good because I dont want to spend my money on a piece of crap. And if I spend my money on a movie that sucks I have every right to put it down along with the director. If we considered all directors hard working there would be even more piece of sh*t films then there is today.

BloomBabyGirl
i think they should let us watch movies then if we like it pay

Zerosparx
LOL Cool idea but some people might like the film then say they didnt like it and get out of paying. But cool idea anyway.

BloomBabyGirl
lo....have lie dtectors. i dont know. that was half baked

Mr Parker
neither will Tim Burton. big grin Thats funny I love Batman Forever except the horrible casting choice of Chris O'donnel as Robin,but I hated Phone Booth.

Mr Zero
Lets hope they give Spider-Man 3 to Joel Schumacher and he puts Val Kilmer into a pink rubber outfit and has him firing webs out his ass.

Then come back and tell us how much you love Forever again.

Cinemaddiction
Had Tim Burton directed the 3rd and 4th movies. The first 2 are gold, atleast, that's according to the general consensus.

Mr Zero
But - yeah as usual - the general consensus is 100% wrong. They are interesting movies in there own way , but FAR from gold... Batman as a short cowardly murderer? The joker as a fat old gangster?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

bardock
peter jackson still sucks way more balls then any of the mentioned filmakers

Cinemaddiction
Now, now. How can an opinion be wrong?

There is no visual confirmation in the Burton Batman movies that he ever killed anyone. Just an observation.

Mr Zero
First a lesson in semantics.

How can an opinion be wrong - when it's incorrect... "It's my opinion that the world is flat, Jews are mean and the president is always right"

If we state our opinions as facts "the first two are gold - the world is flat" then no amount of "consensus agrees with me" makes it something that can brook no argument.

If you use the words ARE and IS you are by implication stating fact. If you say, "I - like most people - believe the first two are gold" then I cant call you wrong, I can only call you deluded.

And a lesson in realism in cinema: are you trying to tell me that bats blew a factory full of people sky high and nobody got killed? Or is it your opinion that explosions dont kill people?

Cinemaddiction
Oh, I'm aware of the explosions, and the henchman down the belltower, its just that none of deaths were ever very "personal", for the lack of a better word.

For the sake of furthur splitting hairs on the whole semantics issue, as pedestrian as it may seem, the Burton movies had a better draw than the last 2 offerings. They also seemed a little more character driven and meaningful than the villainous stable oriented Hollywood sequels.

They were both sorely missing emotional plausibility, since I always thought Batman's appeal was his inability to cope with his parents death, in addition to commitment issues.

Primitive Screwhead #1
An opinion implies a conclusion thought out that is open to dispute (per Merriam-Webster). Your examples are not as they can be disproven with actual data... so they not qualify as an opinion. The statement... "It is my opinion that this is the movie is the worst one ever" is a legitimate opinion... the statement is subjective, and cannot be countered with factual evidence. Online movie/magazine/videogame reviews and magazine articles do not constitute factual evidence... they too are statements of opinion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.