Where do dreams come from?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tazman
It fascinating to think about where dreams come from, and why we have them. There's been a couple of people who have been able to add some great insight into this, and hopefully they can join in and share what they know.

So what do you think dreams are all about? Are they totally random, or do you think there is some sort of reason and order to them?

If anyone wants to share a dream they had, feel free.

§pearhead
I've developed lucid dreaming. smile s'pretty cool, actually.

from asscracks

silver_tears
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/kingsdump/Dump/idiotid-01.jpg

yes

Dregh
L thumb down L

Trinity_Matrix
laughing out loud

I have some really odd dreams...but they usually have something to do with something that happened in my life...except for maybe this one where I dreamt I could fly and flew into the side of my garage, that was just totally out of nowhere blink

PrefectRonnykin
hell

KidRock
lucid dreaming RULES lol i only do it once in every like 2 years though i wish i could have them more often

Dregh
What is lucid dreaming??!

PrefectRonnykin
*cough* same question

Trinity_Matrix
Yeah really...what is it?

Peloquin
Here ya go then you might have some fun with this one then smile I think the best way to understand something is to experience it. so if we want to know dreams we have to explore em smile If you can lucid dream you can roll play with this one.

The learning dream.

Start if off as a uni student walking into a lecture room. You pile in with all the other students and take your seat. In front of you is a typical lecture room. I make mine an old style room with a huge hardwood desk and a massive blackboard running the length of the back wall. There are scientists standing there to each side and on the desk are all different items you might find in a wacky scientists lab. Now you shift from being a student in the seats to a scientist walking in. As the scientist walk up to behind the desk and introduce yourself. "Hello class my name is professor Peloquin, welcome to life the universe and everything 101" Then turn to the blackboard and start writing nonsense. Pure and utter nonsense. Make scribbles and write math equations you know nothing about. While you're doing this shift back to the student sitting in the class and start to make notes. What your doing is trying to learn what the professor is teaching you. The important thing is to play the roll, be an actor. When you're the student act as if the stuff on the blackboard makes sense and you're trying to work it out and learn it. Shift back to the professor and continue the roll play. Act as if you're all knowing and the stuff you write on the blackboard is some deep truth about life the universe and everything. for that is the class you're teaching, for now don't worry that it's nonsense. Shift back to the student every now and then and play his roll, make sure to learn and work out the mess on the blackboard. Shift back to the professor and go a bit more into his roll, use some of the equipment on the desk to prove your theories. Pour liquid in tubes, make explosions, make things float...whatever. All the while blab on about the mysteries of the universe, make it up but play the roll of the professor and believe you know it and it is the truth. Keep shifting from one perspective to the other, from student to professor... the teacher to the learner.

What we're doing here is communicating in the language of dreams. Symbols are doorways that enable you to shift. Think of the dreaming world as radio waves and the whole frequency band. Shifting is just going to a different station along the frequency band. Some stations play music, some have wise men on whispering the secrets of life. The dream we create is like holding onto the tuning knob, this dream tunes in the wise man station smile .

So back in the dream, we've been shifting back and forth between perspectives of the student and professor. The student believes he doesn't know what the professor is talking about but believes he is learning it. The professor believes he knows everything and is teaching. That part is important because one is learning. At some point the student will make a break through...the scribble on the blackboard will come into focus and start to make sense, the student has learned some of it and understands. As the professor continue to roll play with experiments and keep shifting back and forth between to two of you. Little by little as the student we are learning and as we do we also teach the professor. If the student understands the scribble when you shift back the professor for the first time starts to understand what he's been on about. Energetically you've made a shift, thinking back to the radio station you've got the wise man tuned in. As the professor you know the secrets to 'life the universe and everything'...you've just taught yourself. In dreams you've constructed the language to say shift me up to the bandwidth in where truth lives. Trip out on that for a while and see what happens. It is different for each of us depending on what question you have to ask. For me that particular dream comes full circle. At the end of it the professor and the student have learned 'life the universe and everything'. Energetically that relates to another shift, the radio station again. But where you go from there I'll let you see for yourself.

Peloquin
it's basically a stage of controlling your dream. Instead of watching a dream like a movie you play the roll of the director right there and then.

Trinity_Matrix
Oh that is so cool! I can do that sometimes, it's really weird laughing out loud

Peloquin
The next time you realise you're doing it try to stop the dream. Freeze the reality around you. You'll get it and lose hold of it a few times but when you can stop a dream you can reform it to how you would like. Through that you'll understand what the function of dreams are.

§pearhead
Yes...in my dreams, Frank the Purple Penguin truly exists! stick out tongue

Trinity_Matrix
laughing out loud

Does Frank the Purple Penguin try to take over the world in your dreams?

§pearhead
no there is no world in my dreams, just a flat land, nice, crisp, and ready to burst into flames. smile

Trinity_Matrix
...why does it not surprise me that fire figures into your dreams...

§pearhead
Because you know my personality. smile

Peloquin
You've seen the matrix yeah. Well the part where they're talking about what is real..I think the line goes "but what is real? if you're talking about what you can see feel and touch then real is just electrical signals interpreted by your brain". Basically that's right, we're sponges for energy. Everyday when you wake up and go about whatever it is you do you're gathering and taking in energy from the world around you. Electricity stored in your brain. When you dream the physical part of you that gathers the daily energy shuts down allowing you to sort and store that energy. When we see it though it's not in linear reality, that is to say in your dream you don't get up out of bed and start the day progressing through hour by hour. You experience it all at the same time. In line with the saying 'a picture can paint a thousand words' the images you see when dreaming is your mind painting the day, or the week. Depends on what the issue is. If we didn't dream the brain would have no way of sorting and dispersing the energy we take in daily, the electrical signals from the experiences we've had. It would eventually fry.

Trinity_Matrix
Whoa.

laughing out loud

silver_tears
I can control my dreams too big grin

Korri
i think i can.......i must considering the things i dream about blink

raven guardia
okay think of the levels of conscious as an iceberg. the tip of the iceberg above the water is were our conscious is stored. our conscious is what we perceive think and feel at the exact moment. the next level a little bit under the water is were our preconscious is stored. our preconscious is where we store thoughts and feelings from before (like what you had for dinner last night).the preconscious can be easily opened. and finally the unconscious (also know as subconscious,....but the most recent term is Unconscious) (the very last part of the iceberg). is were our most deepest and darkest secrets lie. all of our repressed and hidden feelings go there. and in order to live a healthy life we need to release those unwanted feelings so we do so by dreaming. dreams are a way of helping us move on in life, some dreams may be good and other not so good. but each dream has a meaning. and some dreams may for-tell the future (in the bible the Pharaoh had a dream of ears of wheat and cattle....to make a long story short Egypt was followed by seven years of plenty the seven years of drought.). I know how to interpret dreams so if you want any answers or meanings pm and tell me your dream. I find a meaning to it and pm you my findings. every bit and detail in a dream that you remember is good. even certain colors and smells.....even letters and Numbers are important. if you have any questions feel free to ask, I will do my best to answer them. and if you want a dream you want interpreted just pm me and I will interpret it for you. or I can teach you how to interpret your own dreams.

Korri
kewl eek!

tazman
there's lots of different dreams, so what are the basic meaning behind such dreams as:

1) Flying

2) Falling

3) Something is chasing you (and your legs feel like led and can't move)

4) Dreams involving natural disasters (earthquakes, tornados, floods)

total metalhead
5) Scary dreams about armadillos

Sir Bob III
where do babys come from?

Be@st
dreams come from people's reality. If you're nervous when you're awake you will probably have a nightmare of yourself failing in thing that you were nerveous about (I learned it recently in biology class)

raven guardia
well the falling and flying dreams are very common

Falling: Insecurity, with anxiety

Flying: to wish to escape.

when you have dreams where you are being chased and cant run away its because your body is in a state called Antonia were the mussels in your body are completely relaxed. and your brain will send pulses to your body (i.e. legs) but since your mussels are relaxed they cant move so it feels as though in your dream you cant run away.

and the weather it all depends on what your dreaming about. I know when you dream about a Tornado it means you need a change in your life or that a change is coming. also if you have ever been in a traumatic weather experience your dream may becoming for the emotions stored in the unconscious form that traumatic event.

DeNiro
Dreams are fantasys that are acted out threw our subconsious thoughts while we are sleepng.

total metalhead
whoah woah woah!!! stop everything!!!

DENIRO, IS THAT YOU IN THERE?

first i spot your classical music thread in the music forum, now i see you posting complex scientific explanations here in the otf? are you feeling ok? usually its all ''i got with 5 cheerleaders while lifting an elephant with my leg and beating the crap outta an ice hockey team''

you have become a new man???

bLooMiLiCioUs
don;t stop the new D!!!

Happy Dance

raven guardia
very good smile .....but dreams are also repressed memories.

total metalhead
they are??? eek! so i really did have sex with Gwen Stefani on a yacht, and ive just been repressing the memory???

DeNiro
I dont know. I did go to a hockey game tonighte no fight. No girls, No nothing. I dont know this is Tired DeNiro. He is very calm, comes up with rational thoughts. Another reason why Im acted werid is i got hurt today and cant move my shoulder so Im kinda just chillin and took pain killers that might be effecting my posting.

I always have dreams about either

sex

falling

king kong

or flying my flying dreams are all the same I think I will have some good dreams tonigte since I have alot of Meds in me

total metalhead
it all comes clear. D is poppin pills yes

raven guardia
um....actually according to Freud when you have a dream about sex, you are actually dreaming about having sex with one of your parents even though it the dream they may appear as some one else.

if you dream you had sex with Gwen Stefani it was just a fantasy....repressed memory is thoughts and hidden feelings buried in the unconscious that would cause depression or emotional problems to think about in every day life. so the the unwanted thoughts are released through dreaming

DeNiro
Once I took so many muscel relaxers I couldnt feel my face. Stupid I know but Best 2 hours of my life.

Peloquin
you have to take into account that Freud had serious issues though. I mean really he was a mummas boy smile it was that very obsession that drove him the self analysis in the first place. Like he came up with the modern theory but you have to add in his issues.

DeNiro
All I know is in my sex dreams It is deffitnly not my mother because if it was I would have already commited suicide. But I know exaclty who I have had sex with or done sexual things with in my dreams because they look exactly the same.

That one post about being ourparents is totally wrong I would say.

raven guardia
very true I often wonder about Freud myself.....I wonder if he every had an Oedipus Complex, or A disorder I mean it is very likely. although I still admire freud's work.

DeNiro
I would never listen to those Fricking Greeks. God they used to have a young boy date a older man and the older man would teach the young boy how to date but in the mean time have sex with him. So ne nationaltiy that has done that I say we can rule out ne theorys they have with ne thing. Especially dreams that are based on sex I mean they were all **** back in the day so what do they know

Peloquin
You should read some of Jung's work. As Freud's student he has quite a lot of insight into Freud's demons. Plus he took the next step.

Peloquin
You're thinking of Socrates, Freud was born in 1856 in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, today known as Czechoslovakia.

OOPS DON'T MIND THAT DIDN"T SEE THE THING YOU MEANT lol

DeNiro
Wait who was the guy that killed his father to marry his mother to take over spot of king, wasnt that Freud.

raven guardia
I learnt a little bit about Jung in Psyc class.......but didnt he later leave freud and become a neo-Freudin or something, I'm not sure if I got the groups name right but I know there was a group of people who later became against Freud's ideas.

Peloquin
I wouldn't say they were against Freud's ideas. They were more against the idea that Freud had worked it all out. They were able to continue past Freud so the argued that it wasn't finished. And rightly so.

raven guardia
smile , you are very smart!

raven guardia
well I'm not saying the theroy of dreaming about our parents is right, I'm just saying that is one of freud's therioes....and well we all know freud had some issues.

I still love you Freud.......god rest your soul.

sauron
dude!

dreams are from the bfg....and he blows them into your room with his trumpet,,,,,,,,

raven guardia
lol......sorry but dreams are from the unconscious and there are fantasy and repressed memories.

sauron
NO THEY COME FROM THE BFG

its like you have never seen the film!

raven guardia
sorry what are you talking about?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.