Open Water

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ctkitty
Anyone else looking forward to Open Water being released in Aug? Now don't get me wrong there could never be a better shark movie than Jaws but I saw the trailer when I saw the movie The Day After Tomorrow and I thought it looked really cool. The movie is based on actual events and I can't wait for it to come out..

Cinemaddiction
The trailer made it look extremely boring, and everything I have read about it confirms my suspicions. It's very predictible, and the fact alone that no one dies automatically counts me out of this one.

90 minutes of build up and tension to a happy ending, for someone whos already afraid of sharks? No thanks.

BackFire
It looks interesting I think, the basic premise is pretty neat, but the execution may be extremely flawed. I'll still see it though.

Myth
Could be interesting but looks like it will be pretty boring. I can only see it doing anything if its short (like 70 minutes max)

forumcrew
how this movie can be more then 20 minutes is beyond me.. itll make cast away look like an action/thriller

LeAtHerRFace
Another shark movie?... well kind of like a shark documentary.

ragesRemorse
yeah and very low budget

Cinemaddiction
Another?

What are you talking about? There's only..

Jaws
Jaws 2
Jaws 3
Jaws 4
Shark Attack
Shark Attack 2
Shark Attack 3
Shark Hunter
Shark!
Shark Bait
Shark Tale
Deep Blue Sea
Dark Waters
Red Water
Open Water

Cowboyography
open waters looks cool!
Much more than sharks, A couple out on a pleasure dive is left behind by there tour boat. They float for days while facing the elements, Dehydration, starvation, and of course SHARKS! I probably wont make a trip to the theater for it but it will be to DVD real quick. It is also based on a true story.

BackFire
I think the premise is interesting, but I really don't know what to think about it. I'm hoping it will be good, but I'm not getting my hopes up to high.

LeAtHerRFace
laughing out loud ur so sarcastic no expression

Cinemaddiction
You know me..lol.

By the way, those were ones off the top of my head. I went to IMDB.com, and Holy Shit..

Anywho, I think this will be renter.

LeAtHerRFace
Wow.. u have a good memory.

Anyway, thx again for the bad @$$ sig

Striel
I'll rent it, but I don't plan on seeing it in the theater.

amity75
It looks really good. Kind of like the Blair Witch Project cum Jaws. I can't wait to see it and it might be the most interesting movie this year.

Myth
Looks boring. A whole movie set out floating in the ocean? I'll pass unless I hear good things later.

botankus
Saw a huge marketing campaign last night for this movie while watching "Shark Week" on the Discovery Channel. Had never heard of it before 8 PM last night, and by 9 PM I felt like I had seen the whole movie four times.

Anyways, it's got a production date of 2003 and was featured at numerous film festivals, including Sundance and others. It comes to theaters here in the US on August 20th (widespread).

It's about a married diving couple who get accidentally left behind in shark infested waters and try to cope with their fears as sharks start closing in on them. Based on a true story.

This interests me for two reasons: I dive from time to time and it's rated R. The R rating is for violence, language, and some nudity. If this were yet another PG-13 cop out I would not even bother.

It's supposed to be a thriller but I've heard it takes a little while to get going but hey, most of them do nowadays anyways.

I'm not a huge fan of indie films in general, but I will check it out. I think the indie company (Lion's Gate) saved it from the PG-13 rating.

ragesRemorse
i dotn know man, after seeig the trailer i felt like i had just watched it. I mean i got the entire concept, tone, and direction of the movie by just watching the trailer, infact i was glad this movie was made so that i could watch it in a two minute trailer. there were times during the two minutes of thrills i thought we would never make it to shore, i felt trapped, hopless, conqured and faced with my humanity by the end of this two minute moive trailer. what a great experience. atleast sticking this way im not bored of sitting through two hours of the same damn thing

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
This will be one of those movies ill rent, i watched the discovery channel last night and those shark programs were on, and they kept playing the "Open Water" commercial over and over and it p'd me off, It doesnt look like a very good movie but since im very interested in sharks i may rent it.

botankus
It's only 79 minutes long.

I'm like you too, OnLy FoR OrLi. Not in the Orlando Bloom sense of course, but that sharks interest me, too.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
big grin Ive had that since i was young stick out tongue

SnakeEyes
i think this movies looks so horrible, its not even funny, I mean how interesting could 2 ppl be in the middle of water for an hour and a half.
Crappy idea!

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Thats actually right lol. It will be a low budget box office film most likely. No suprisation from me.

botankus
I heard they don't get into their "situation" until 40 minutes into the movie and you have to figure 10 minutes to wrap up the film, so it will probably only be about 30 minutes in the water.

Good news if you're dreading them treading water for an hour and a half.
Bad news if you like seeing people doggy paddle for hours at a time.

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
lol

DeNiro
I just think it would have been a better idea to have at least 10 people in the water at the same time and have many more deaths and have the deaths be differnt from the last. with say having a small tiger shark ripping a guy apart slowly and having the people try to save him but in the end he just gets so badly hurt that he just drifts in the waer for the shark to finish him off. then just have one person get totally swallowed by an enormous great white jumping out of the water like they do. but i agree with alot of you the two minute movie trailer was insanly good i was very intrested in this movie but i mean come on how long can they have two people in the water. this movie would be fantastic if it was 15 minutes long and not 79 minutes

botankus
LOL! A shark slasher film!

OnLy_FoR_OrLi
Sounds better then what they're doing.

Cinemaddiction
We've been covering this in the "Horror" forums as well. I'm probably going to pass, personally.

botankus
Where? The "hot" topics I've browsed through over there have recently included turning a horror movie into a video game, moovees dat dont scarr mee, and dating a slasher.

Cinemaddiction
Lamar, ya big dummeh..

amity75
I think it looks really good. Like The Blair Witch Project at sea. Or "The Blair Fish Project"

botankus
LOL

Oh, I guess I missed that thread. It looks like it was started on the weekend and off before Monday. I rarely go on KMC on the weekends. I did that weekend, ironically enough, but just to review Anchorman.

FiveStar
This film's coming out on September 10th, looks really scary
It's based on the (true!) story of a couple who get left behind after a scuba dive in shark-infested waters, with no way of reaching dry land. So it's just them in the middle of an ocean, entirely vulnerable. It's filmed like a home movie (Blair Witch style) so looks very immediate and realistic. I quite like the fact that it won't rely on over-the-top special effects and stuff to keep the suspense and drama.
Has anybody else heard something about it? I'm definitely seeing it when it comes out, though I don't think I'll be going to a beach holiday for a while afterwards wink
~five*

Aye-Chico
Oh sounds pretty scary. I havent heard of it yet. Im gonna look up the trailer now.

botankus
It comes out August 20th. I'm going to see it just because I'm a diver, for the most part. BTW, there are already several threads about this movie.

Stormy Day
I didnt know this movie was a horror confused

Cinemaddiction
Well, it seems to be a "horror" in the vein of "Jaws". Although, to me, it looks more like "The Village", which kind of teeters between the two.

I've pretty much decided to rent this one.

Stormy Day
I may go see it but from what ive heard it looks more like a thriller erm

botankus
I swear if you guys go into this one with the same attitude that you went into The Village with you are going to ruin this one for yourself, too.

One clue right off the bat: They do not advertise horror movies on The Discovery Channel!!

Cowboyography
they do pump it as a horror in all the trailers i have seen

<<Solo>>
What he said, man five star your full of bad information.

eggmayo
its rubbish! i dunno when it came out but i saw it yesterday... its soo boring... like the village.

VaMpIrE_lOvEr_
I wouldnt see this movie If i was paid

<<Solo>>
The village was freaking awesome man.
It was the shiznat.

Lord_Andres
Village sucket deep, hope this one will not

Cinemaddiction
Well, the DVD was released yesterday. Anyone bite? (Pun woefully intended)

MornGlory
i didnt buy it - but i saw it in the theater and i actually liked the movie - thought it was good

MornGlory
ummm who cares if there is another thread opened on this same topic - the moderaters are starting to annoy me

Cinemaddiction
Notice the date of that post, MG. It was 5 months ago, lol. Duplicate threads are a no-no because A) people who start them get flamed, B) the search function is there for a reason, and C) subsequently merging the threads makes for easier functionability for KMC users.

BackFire
I rented it about a week ago, and I have mixed feelings about it..

First of all, I really apreciate teh feel and realism of the movie. Being filmed out in the middle of the ocean with LIVE sharks is admireable in this day and age. Obviously they cared greatly for this project to do such a thing.

Also, there are some truley amazing visuals that are only impressive because they are so obviously real, and could not have been faked and held any similar amount of power.

Lastly, it's study on the human spirit and the way people would reacit in such a situation is extremely unsettling. All the way up to the ending you are on the edge of your seat, and at the end, your heart will break if you invest in the chracters.

The biggest fault of the film was that it was extremely slow, nothing really happens throughout most of the movie. It relies soley on realism as it's driving force to make you care about the events happening on screen. These people stuck in teh ocean could easily be me and you, and this relativity is never forgotten during the film.

All in all, it's a solid, interesting and uniqe film that should be watched. It's not for everyone, but it should be interesting in some way or another to most people. If for no other reason - then because of the way it was filmed and it's eerie believability.

scott hiwersh
I saw it last night and loved it. I watched it with my girl, and we couldn't help but put ourselves in the situation. They are a very real couple. It was so sad.

Napalm
I dont think any shark movie could beat jaws

BackFire
You're right. But it's really nothing like jaws. There's no action, and there's not just one giant shark. It's not a "shark movie". It's a study of the human condition when pushed to the edge, and how peopel act when they have nothing left to hope for and when they are facing a situation that continually gets worse.

Napalm
It sounds stupid

tabby999
i dont know if it was already mentioned but this movie was based on a couple of dumbass tourists who got left behind on a scuba diving trip to on the great barrier reef.

BackFire
I wouldn't go so far as to call them "dumbass". It was the fault of the crew on the boat that mis-counted.

tabby999
yeah, your right, that was a little uncalled for, my appologies.
depends on which people they made the movie on, there was one lot who were trying to pull and insurance scam and another than actually did get left behind by accident...

Napalm
Anybody that goes out in the middle of the great barrier reef is pretty stupid

tabby999
well now days they are, thanks to over torurism and people leaving litter and taking bits of reef with them, its nearly all dead. the best reef in australia now are in Tasmania and some in Tin Can Bay in queensland

Napalm
people need to respect the aquatic lifes enviorment

tabby999
too late now. all those little japanese toruists dump to much shit like film canisters and bottles and the like overboard (by accident or on puropse) and everything suffers for it.

Napalm
Some people are real retards

tabby999
before they go out on the tours they need to be explained how their rubbish ****s our reef systems

papabeard
This film is carp do not watch it, no emotional engagement whatsover, you want these people to die, but not in a good way

botankus
Well, if the film is carp instead of sharks I won't watch it.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Napalm
Carp is a fish dude

A.D. Skinner
Is this movie really a horror flick ? Kind of played more like a sub-standard documentary in my opinion.

I was hyped about this film when I saw the previews. It looked like such a good film, specifically about a couple being left out in the middle of the ocean. I belive the preview was the best part of the film after seeing it.

I have a few problems with the film, first and foremost it is based on a actual event. Actually the only true event that can honestly hold water, no pun intended, is that the couple went on a SCUBA tour. Who is to say that they only were in the water for a bit longer than 24 hours, who is to say that the waters were that shark infested, who is to say that the guy died before the girl, and who is to say that she gave up and killed herself ?

I was extremely disappointed with this movie after all the hype, and was let down as a movie goer after seeing it.

Then again, this is only my own personal opinion

papabeard
I know carp is fish"DUDE", this is what is commonly known as a joke, perhaps tinged with irony, but ive heard you americans arent really familiar with the concept

tabby999
yeah but it also could have been mistaken for a simple spelling mistake, where so many people (myself included) are such bad spellers you don't expect it to be intentional

Dekard
I hate that damn movie it sucks they coldve let the girl live

Dekard your all gonna F**KIN DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!

FLICKNAVY
Just watched this movie for the first time. One of the best I've seen in awhile. The way it was filmed and the actors made it seem so real. It was all based on a true story and I really felt for them and was hopin the whole time they would make it. I will never take my girlfriend on a scuba diving trip ever lol.

SlipknoT
We have a thread about this

Cinemaddiction
This was moved from MDF. I've got a request for a merge in.

Beastro
I just saw it and I thought it was great.

I had a much better appreciation for the film after I found out it was made by a husband in wife on weekends and on vacations.They where the only crew and they also financed and wrote the film themselves and for a movie made on those terms it was pretty good.It was'nt scary like the trailers made it out to be but thats ok because it was really suspenseful and funn.

Cinemaddiction
Guess you're not much of an indie fan to begin with, cuz that's common fare. The story was LOOSELY based on true events, which really helped sell an otherwise average suspense movie.

Beastro
When are horror movies entirely based on true events?

Cinemaddiction
Never, the fact is that "Open Water" was promoted as being based on true events, when the only part that was true was the divers being abandoned. That's it.

botankus
When you think about it, how would they have been able to know how to base it on true events when, in the movie, they both die at sea????

spidergrl
Well I guess that they found there bodies or something. I mean people these days can find out how anyone dies, my guess it most of the movie they guessed, main outcome true!

Beastro
I still dont see how thats really effecting the movie for you.Alot of horror movies that said they where based on true events which is not entirely true where great.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for istance.There was never even a guy that killed for teenagers out in the middle of nowhere.Despite it not being entirely based on true events it was still great.I dont know if your saying that that's the reason you didnt like it or your merely trying to make a point.

spidergrl
they both died, that was true wink

Cinemaddiction
Kind of both. There were a lot of liberties taken to make the story interesting. Some of which upset the family of the victims, even. I don't like sitting through a movie that was totally hyped on being based on a true story, then getting to the end, having been a disappointing film, and finding it was almost ENTIRELY fabricated. I knew from the beginning that it was probably a farse, seeing as how there were no survivors to tell what really happened.

Beastro
I cant believe your holding that against the movie.It said it was based on true events and of course there was no witnesses out there to tell what happened so hollywood took over and filled in the blanks.I think all that really needed to be based on true events is the people being left out in the middle of the ocean everything else didnt have to be entirely true.Some great thrillers/horror movies out there where said to be "based on true events" even though it was'nt entirely true.

I dont see you complaing about the family members of the people that Al Geene killed that may have been upset by "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

Cinemaddiction
Eh, well, believe it. I know that there's a loophole in promoting something as "based on" something or another, but when they come right out at the end and RUIN any suspense that pertains to what really happened, outing their own influences, it's disappointing.

As for Ed Gein and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", it's a foregone conclusion that the events that took place in that movie were HIGHLY fabricated. It's funny to see how many people want to claim it happened IRL. Those same people will also tell you it was the goriest movie ever, at which I can't help but laugh my ass off.

It was 1973, and Hooper's goal was to scare America shitless. He took Ed Gein and built a story around the character, not so much his methods. Dead skin mask, yeah, that's it. He didn't use a chainsaw, he didn't live in Texas, he didn't live with his family in the backwoods, none of that. He took liberties with a PERSON, which is ENTIRELY different from taking liberties with an actual event.

Hooper shouldn't have to apologize, and I shouldn't be offended by things that never happened, of which wouldn't offend the families of Ed Gein's TWO known victims.

The fault in "Open Water" was the way it was billed as being a completely true story, which left everyone dumb founded at the end when the disclaimer, which was ironically in ULTRA SMALL PRINT ON THE DVD, rolled up, claiming that it was fictious, and yadda, yadda, yadda, similarities not implied, etc. Then, follow that up with the lid blowing off in the documentary, it just ruins the experience.

The movie didn't get me. It was tedious, boring, pretentious, and while there were times of heightened tension, it wasn't satsifying. Period.

Beastro
I dont recall it ever being proclaimed as a COMPLETELY true story embarrasment

I didnt think it was boring at all.It was very intense and times and the scary part was was that you where in the middle of the ocean and dont actually know whats under and whats around you.I like how it was filmed right in the middle of the ocean which sort of givesyou an insight into the fear that these characters are experiencing.

Cinemaddiction
It wasn't, but how far fetched can a story about being stranded in the middle of the ocean be? There's only one, possibly two, things that can possibly happen to them, making it movie worthy. Getting eaten alive by sharks, or ________.

It's just a movie that exploited people's fear, which is what "JAWS" did 1,000 times more effectively. "Open Water" just had an shitty pay off for what was an otherwise fair movie, with great acting.

BackFire
One thing I really liked in Open Water is the way it was filmed. It was amazing to see that many real sharks towards teh end of the movie. It had it's moments and I did enjoy, but it was real slow.

Morning_Glory
it was just based on a true story... because no one really knows what really happened out there in the water.. so of course they had to make some sort of a story up as to what happened out there....

it was a good independent film smile

botankus
You missed the point. The point is not that they died, but I do remember something along the lines of 50 minutes or so leading up to their deaths. That part, given the way the movie went, would be impossible to re-enact.

Beastro
Backfire,I thought it was a little slow to but I agree I loved how it was filmed in the middle of the ocean.I liked how the camera dipped underwater and times to give you that realistic feel.Yeah the fact that the sharks werent fake was even more spine tingling.

I thought you said a few day's ago that just because a horror movie is made about a family moving into a new house doesnt mean its an "Amtyville Horror" ripoff.Just because this film is about sharks doesnt mean the writers where trying to make the next "Jaws".They wanted to make a low-budget film with unknown actors set in the middle of an ocean.They wanted to make a realiistic and suspensful movie and they succeded.

Cinemaddiction
Both "Open Water" and "JAWS" were made in exploitation of peoples fear of sharks. I felt as if "Open Water", by making it more personable and intimate tried a little harder with the realism, but it didn't work for me. Like I said, it was well acted and what have you, but the implied sense of urgency wasn't strong enough for me.

Beastro
What do you mean by "implied sense of urgency"?

Cinemaddiction
Exactly that? The way the filmmakers tried to push the stranded divers situation. They're in the middle of the ocean, and every once in a while, some sharks circle around. It just wasn't effective, IMO. I guess I'm not easily amused, lol. More gore would have sufficed.

It was just very vanilla.

Beastro
Not easily amused?You almost died when you found out a movie about a an ice cream man killer was released on dvd,lol.

Cinemaddiction
Touche, haha. I meant movie wise. I appreciate the effort, like I said, but waiting to see what happens to a couple of people lost in the water just isn't entertaining. One of them should have been eaten alive whole or something.

Beastro
Well it was a low-budget flick so I wasnt really expecting much but it was a good effort for two almost inexperienced filmakers.As ive said before I respect the fact that they funded it themselves and made it only on weekends.Foir what it was and how it was made it was decent.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.