Omg!! Omg Ground Breaking News!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

silver_tears
I broke a nail...dontgetit
Now lavish me with attention and sympathy droolio cause I'm such an attention whore no expression

HockeyHorror
cry

can i keep your broken nail as a memory for this day love

lil bitchiness
Yeah!

I think I'll go make a thread for you Silver...then i hope everyone else makes one similar to it! no expression

silver_tears
Oh yes please do no expression then I can become more popular and all droolio

Pablo G
interesting not !!!

silver_tears
what, the day you broke my heart cry

lil bitchiness
Deffinitivly!!

I'll do anything to fit in! no expression

Dont you just love people who dont get sarcasm droolio

HockeyHorror
yes cry

ill preserve the nail in a jar and ill freeze it so they can clone you in the future if its possible love

lil bitchiness
It is far more interesting than that copy cat thread you made no expression

silver_tears
I might even fake some pics of me too shock that atta do it droolio

silver_tears
make lots of mes and we shall take over the world ninja

Royal Knight
In loving memory of Sil's nail http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sign/3/sign30.gif

lil bitchiness
No no no, not your own, you musnt!

You must find a random picture than fake it, and say its you! yes That seems really popular also.

HockeyHorror
cry i love this thread laughing out loud

silver_tears
That bastard ran away with my hair clippings from my last haircut mad

silver_tears
Omg and then get all ****ed over and start lying to cover my tracks droolio that's the new plan ninja

Pablo G
Ouch sad

HockeyHorror
KA POW!!

lil bitchiness
Deffinitivly!

Thats the fashion these days! droolio

eek! dont you just want to fit in desperately.

no expression

Pablo G
Dave Chapelle kicks ass !

Deity
'ground breaking news' ? confused

how can news break the ground ? confused

silver_tears
And next in my plan is to announce every insignificant detail in my life, like for example what I'm gonna have for breakfast tomorrow droolio

Be on the look out folks, I'm planning for a bagel no expression

dave123
hmm... i think irene is copying someone eek!

silver_tears
Not a chance dave, I'm unique, like all the other people here no expression

lil bitchiness
Im thinking about having some coffee...no expression

Im gonna make a thread about it to clog the forum with more shit than its already clogged with. no expression

HockeyHorror
no expression im unique at breaking hearts evil face no expression

Deity
will some one answer the bloody question mad Happy Dance

dave123
c'mon... i've known you what? 25 years now... you can call me Spence yes

HockeyHorror
news is verbally powerful, so it foces people to make machines to break the ground no expression

lil bitchiness
Evidently, not.

Deity
i see no expression is that why r are in the crazy house

HockeyHorror
not a crazy house my friend

but a unique house no expression

Deity
some one already did, so bleh stick out tongue

Deity
i said IN a crazy house

HockeyHorror
IN a unique house in that case no expression

silver_tears
That's it, my fling with you is sooooooo over sneaky2
I'm moving on to the next flavour of the week droolio

silver_tears
And I'll post once and it'll be forgotten droolio

Deity
wateva ur still crazy

lil bitchiness
and il b sur 2 writ lyk dis cuz i fink im kool. no expression

silver_tears
l3t mes noe when us makin tat thred man no expression

Deity
wateva cr@p sh!t dung poo droppings l4m3

silver_tears
yous a f00l dude no expression

lil bitchiness
rolleyes1

How absolutely cool are you.

Deity
|il 6i+chi/\/355

WindDancer
You deserve attention and care. sad

btw-Thanks again for the siggy! happy

Deity
5i\/3r +34r5

Deity
D3|+Y

HockeyHorror
bannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedba
nnedbanned

Deity
h0cK3Y H0rR0r

Deity
\/\/|/\/D D4/\/C3R

WindDancer
Okay, you got my attention now move on. Please!

Deity
\/\/hY

silver_tears
you're using it eek!
I'm flattered embarrasment

G.P
The number of "no expression" smilies in this thread is striking.

silver_tears
It's a social experiment droolio

Deity
KILL PEOPLE, NOT TIME

G.P
oh, and what are your conclusions so far ?

Deity
and u r talking to......who?

HockeyHorror
you were suppose to say

"and u r talking to...whom?" not who

G.P
Well to Irene the social-smilies experimenter, but if you have made an experiment of your own about how to kill people while not killing time I'll be glad to hear from it too

silver_tears
That the "no expression" smilie can be used in many a case

Deity
like this no expression

HockeyHorror
wisdom is kept in the eye of the beholder no expression

silver_tears
some people should just be shot no expression

HockeyHorror
cry

stupid spork is taking over irene sad

Deity
whats that no expression

HockeyHorror
The highest of wisdom is continual cheerfulness: such a state, like the region above the moon, is always clear and serene. (rhymes with irene eek! )
-Montaigne

I rule
Wow, whats next...

silver_tears
OMG IT DOES!!!!!! jawdrop

HockeyHorror
shifty thats a sign

k ill be RIGHT BACK in 10 min

G.P
Alright, I see what you mean droolio

silver_tears
Droolio too love

I rule
no expression no expression no expression no expression no expression...

silver_tears
Die please no expression

Aqua
attention...if i get alot of that i will be scared i kinda dont like peeps staring at me >.<ninja

Aqua
or was i suposed to say "enough about u guys wut about ME?" no expression

silver_tears
it's never enough about me doll diva

MC Mike
*spills attention all over Irene* no expression

HockeyHorror
*throws chicken wings everwhere and puts a fish bowl on head with antennas*

no expression

kool keith is a genius yes

silver_tears
Mike I love you like the son i dont want no expression

MC Mike
yes Agreed.

MC Mike
Wow that's pretty complicated - let me get my calculator. nerd

HockeyHorror
o man thats a sexy quote droll

silver_tears
Check under your mattress next to the dirty mags droolio

Aqua
this is CNN no expression

HockeyHorror
thats a quoteable
its going in the history books drool

I rule
Ok * kills self *

MC Mike
*Located* nerd

MC Mike
youpi

silver_tears
Bravo geek

MC Mike
nerd Greetings, female.

Aqua
roll eyes (sarcastic)

silver_tears
Greetings specimen geek

MC Mike
nerd My blood is being pumped within the area of my cheeks.

Aqua
good description blink

silver_tears
Just the cheeks naughty

MC Mike
nerd Currently I am not capable of answering that question. But I must say the decorations of the bedroom look quite enticing, do you wish to follow me to that destination? nerd

HockeyHorror
the ass cheeks? no expression

silver_tears
You mean that hole in the wall that has a blanket spread on the ground? geek

MC Mike
nerd I believe that term is quite immature. Please spread it elsewhere.

MC Mike
nerd Incorrect.

silver_tears
Miscalculated geek

HockeyHorror
well my calculations prove that writing and speaking are important in engineering. Throughout your career, you will confront many writing situations, including proposals, formal reports, and journal articles. Proposals are important documents in engineering. What does a proposal do? A proposal presents a strategy for solving a problem. A successful proposal needs two elements: a statement of a problem and a proposed solution to that problem. When a proposal works well, these two elements fit as pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. The audiences of proposals include technical readers, who consider the technical merits of the proposal, and management readers, who evaluate the benefits of the proposal.

While proposals often serve as the beginnings of projects in engineering, formal reports and journal articles often serve as the completion points of projects. Formal reports are usually split into three sections: front matter, main text, and back matter. The front matter includes the front cover, title page, contents page, and informative summary. The main text portion of your formal report contains the introduction, discussion, and conclusion sections. The back matter portion of your report contains your appendices, glossary, and references. The front matter and back matter allow you to target multiple audiences. Journal articles are similar to formal reports in content, but because of format differences, generally target only one type of audience.

In all of the situations discussed in these guidelines, you might have to write or present as part of a group. Although collaboration on a document or presentation presents a challenge to the group members, it also has advantages. One advantage is that working in a group broadens the range of ideas that the document or presentation can incorporate. Another advantage is that collaborative work allows the group to draw from the various writing and editing strengths of the members. In a successful group effort, you find a strategy that accents the advantages and mitigates the disadvantages.

No single course can prepare you for every communication situation that you will face as an engineer or scientist. Nonetheless, you should be able to handle most situations if you will first sit down and examine your constraints. One of these constraints is format. Included in these guidelines were some professional examples of format so that you could practice creating documents. You should understand that there are no universal formats for engineering and science. While there may be similarities, the formats that engineers and scientists use at Sandia National Laboratories are not the same formats that engineers and scientists use at IBM or Dow Chemical.

You cannot treat scientific writing in the same way that you treat thermodynamics or anatomy or quantum chemistry. Writing is a craft, not a science. The process of learning to write effectively does not end with these guidelines, or any guidelines for that matter; it continues throughout your career. Hemingway wasn't speaking of scientific writing when he remarked, "We are apprentices of a craft where no one becomes a master." However, Hemingway's remark describes accurately the writing that we as engineers and scientists do.

silver_tears
now those are some calculations geek

MC Mike
nerd How many seconds are there in a year? If I tell you there are 3.155 x 10^7, you won't even try to remember it. On the other hand, who could forget that, to within half a percent, pi seconds is a nanocentury.

silver_tears
I could care less geek

HockeyHorror
not always^ the mind can play tricks on you if you miscalculate 10^7 with 10^8 because both lead to conclusions that we dont know which is the right anser too geek

I rule
* dosnt lavish Irene with attention and sympathy *

MC Mike

silver_tears
I have enough droolio

I rule
Nice thumb up

MC Mike
My brother writes that kind of stuff. happy

Dogbert
NERD!

HockeyHorror

Aqua
u stole that from somewhere ninja

HockeyHorror
yes i did...but i know about it laughing out loud

MC Mike
nerd 2.6 Compartmental Models
We have seen that analytical solutions can be given for the voltage along a passive cable with uniform geometrical and electrical properties. If we want to apply the above results in order to describe the membrane potential along the dendritic tree of a neuron we face several problems. Even if we neglect `active' conductances formed by non-linear ion channels a dendritic tree is at most locally equivalent to an uniform cable. Numerous bifurcations and variations in diameter and electrical properties along the dendrite render it difficult to find a solution for the membrane potential analytically (Abbott et al., 1991).

Numerical treatment of partial differential equations such as the cable equation requires a discretization of the spatial variable. Hence, all derivatives with respect to spatial variables are approximated by the corresponding quotient of differences. Essentially we are led back to the discretized model of Fig. 2.16, that has been used as the starting point for the derivation of the cable equation. After the discretization we have a large system of ordinary differential equations for the membrane potential at the chosen discretization points as a function of time. This system of ordinary differential equations can be treated by standard numerical methods.

In order to solve for the membrane potential of a complex dendritic tree numerically, compartmental models are used that are the result of the above mentioned discretization (Bower and Beeman, 1995; Yamada et al., 1989; Ekeberg et al., 1991). The dendritic tree is divided into small cylindric compartments with an approximatively uniform membrane potential. Each compartment is characterized by its capacity and transversal conductivity. Adjacent compartments are coupled by the longitudinal resistance that are determined by their geometrical properties (cf. Fig. 2.19).

Figure 2.19: Multi-compartment neuron model. Dendritic compartments with membrane capacitance C and transversal resistance RT are coupled by a longitudinal resistance r = (RL + RL)/2. External input to compartment is denoted by I. Some or all compartments may also contain nonlinear ion channels (variable resistor in leftmost compartment).

Once numerical methods are used to solve for the membrane potential along the dendritic tree, some or all compartments can be equipped with nonlinear ion channels as well. In this way, effects of nonlinear integration of synaptic input can be studied (Mel, 1994). Apart from practical problems that arise from a growing complexity of the underlying differential equations, conceptual problems are related to a drastically increasing number of free parameters. The more so, since almost no experimental data regarding the distribution of any specific type of ion channel along the dendritic tree is available. To avoid these problems, all nonlinear ion channels responsible for generating spikes are usually lumped together at the soma and the dendritic tree is treated as a passive cable. For a review of the compartmental approach we refer the reader to the book of Bower and Beeman (Bower and Beeman, 1995). In the following we illustrate the compartmental approach by a model of a cerebellar granule cell.

2.6.0.1 A multi-compartment model of cerebellar granule cells
As an example for a realistic neuron model we discuss a model for cerebellar granule cells in turtle developed by Gabbiani and coworkers (Gabbiani et al., 1994). Granule cells are extremely numerous tiny neurons located in the lowest layer of the cerebellar cortex. These neurons are particularly interesting because they form the sole type of excitatory neuron of the whole cerebellar cortex (Ito, 1984).

Figure 2.20 shows a schematic representation of the granule cell model. It consists of a spherical soma and four cylindrical dendrites that are made up of two compartments each. There is a third compartment at the end of each dendrite, the dendritic bulb, that contains synapses with mossy fibers and Golgi cells.

Figure 2.20: Schematic representation of the granule cell model (not to scale). The model consists of a spherical soma (radius 5.0 m) and four cylindrical dendrites (diameter 1.2 m, length 88.1 m) made up of two compartments each. There is a third compartment at the end of each dendrite, the dendritic bulb, that contains synapses with mossy fibers (mf) and Golgi cells (GoC). The active ion channels are located at the soma. The dendrites are passive. The axon of the granule cell, which rises vertically towards the surface of the cerebellar cortex before it undergoes a T-shaped bifurcation, is not included in the model.

One of the major problems with multi-compartment models is the fact that the spatial distribution of ion channels along the surface of the neuron is almost completely unknown. In the present model it is therefore assumed for the sake of simplicity that all active ion channels are concentrated at the soma. The dendrites, on the other hand, are described as a passive cable.

The granule cell model contains a fast sodium current INa and a calcium-activated potassium current IK(Ca) that provide a major contribution for generating action potentials. There is also a high-voltage activated calcium current ICa(HVA) similar to the IL-current discussed in Section 2.3.4. Finally, there is a so-called delayed rectifying potassium current IKDR that also contributes to the rapid repolarization of the membrane after an action potential (Hille, 1992).

Cerebellar granule cells receive excitatory input from mossy fibers and inhibitory input from Golgi cells. Inhibitory input is conveyed by fast GABA-controlled ion channels with a conductance that is characterized by a bi-exponential decay; cf. Section . Excitatory synapses contain both fast AMPA and voltage-dependent NMDA-receptors. How these different types of synapse can be handled in the context of conductance-based neuron models has been explained in Section 2.4.

Figure 2.21 shows a simulation of the response of a granule cell to a series of excitatory and inhibitory spikes. The plots show the membrane potential measured at the soma as a function of time. The arrows indicate the arrival time of excitatory and inhibitory spikes, respectively. Figure 2.21A shows nicely how subsequent EPSPs add up almost linearly until the firing threshold is finally reached and an action potential is triggered. The response of the granule cell to inhibitory spikes is somewhat different. In Fig. 2.21B a similar scenario as in subfigure A is shown, but the excitatory input has been replaced by inhibitory spikes. It can be seen that the activation of inhibitory synapses does not have a huge impact on the membrane potential. The reason is that the reversal potential of the inhibitory postsynaptic current of about -75 mV is close to the resting potential of -68 mV. The major effect of inhibitory input therefore is a modification of the membrane conductivity and not so much of the membrane potential. This form of inhibition is also called `silent inhibition'.

Figure 2.21: Simulation of the response of a cerebellar granule cell to three subsequent excitatory (A) and inhibitory (B) spikes. The arrival time of each spike is indicated by an arrow. A. Excitatory postsynaptic potentials nicely sum up almost linearly until the firing threshold is reached and an action potential is fired. B. In granule cells the reversal potential of the inhibitory postsynaptic current is close to the resting potential. The effect of inhibitory spikes on the membrane potential is therefore almost negligible, though there is a significant modification of the membrane conductivity (`silent inhibition').

A final example shows explicitly how the spatial structure of the neuron can influence the integration of synaptic input. Figure 2.22 shows the simulated response of the granule cell to an inhibitory action potential that is followed by a short burst of excitatory spikes. In Fig. 2.22A both excitation and inhibition arrive on the same dendrite. The delay between the arrival time of inhibitory and excitatory input is chosen so that inhibition is just strong enough to prevent the firing of an action potential. If, on the other hand, excitation and inhibition arrive on two different dendrites, then there will be an action potential although the timing of the input is precisely the same; cf. Fig. 2.22B. Hence, excitatory input can be suppressed more efficiently by inhibitory input if excitatory and inhibitory synapses are closely packed together.

This effect can be easily understood if we recall that the major effect of inhibitory input is an increase in the conductivity of the postsynaptic membrane. If the activated excitatory and inhibitory synapses are located close to each other on the same dendrite (cf. Fig. 2.22A), then the excitatory postsynaptic current is `shunted' by nearby ion channels that have been opened by the inhibitory input. If excitatory and inhibitory synapses, however, are located on opposite dendrites (cf. Fig. 2.22B), then the whole neuron acts as a `voltage divider'. The activation of an inhibitory synapse `clamps' the corresponding dendrite to the potassium reversal potential which is approximately equal to the resting potential. The excitatory input to the other dendrite results in a local depolarization of the membrane. The soma is located at the center of this voltage divider and its membrane potential is accordingly increased through the excitatory input.

The difference in the somatic membrane potential between the activation of excitatory and inhibitory synapses located on the same or on two different dendrites may decide whether a spike is triggered or not. In cerebellar granule cells this effect is not very prominent because these cells are small and electrotonically compact.

silver_tears
I hate you all droolio

Aqua
cought u red handedstick out tongue now go to the kmc jail

I rule
Thanks big grin

silver_tears
welcome happy

I rule
Yep stick out tongue

silver_tears
You can't afford me luv no

HockeyHorror
with the spork? a bit violent dont u think...confused big grin evil face

I rule
Your cheaper than tex ninja stick out tongue

HockeyHorror
laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

HockeyHorror
bad move but funny still laughing

silver_tears
And better too naughty

HockeyHorror
laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

where do you live? big grin stick out tongue

I rule
No I mean as a slave no expression You think I would let tex in my house? blink

silver_tears
In Canadialand love

I rule
Irene gets her money by stripping at McDonalds stick out tongue

MC Mike
jockey

hezzy_baby
^ Yea! Haha I love that comerical where the vacuum cleaner eats his pants laughing

hezzy_baby
Umm? Wrong forum? Lmao.. embarrasment

silver_tears
Least they pay well droolio

I rule
Fries arnt worth anything babe no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.