at what age should a teen be allowed to.......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shellie
at what age should a teen be allowed to go on their first unsupervised date ???

as some know i have a 12 year old duaghter . ive been asked alot lately "when is she allowed to date or have a boyfriend ?" .

its not a question that has a correct answer . i think each child is different . lets face it , teens are still children .

i dont know when this will happen for my duaghters but i know it wont be anytime soon.

so give me your thoughts on teenage dating .

Fëanor
16 with certain conditions

dave123
my daughters aint going nowhere unsupervised until they're 23

my sons.... 10 ish

Linkalicious
i don't care as long as i get to meet the kid first....and scare the living crap out of them if they bring my daughter home late.

And i'd tell my son that he better meet the mother and father before he took anyone out on a date as well.

Besides, anything younger than 16 wouldn't be a real date, it'd be something like a trip to the skating rink where the parents drop off each of their kids and pick them up hours later....

yerssot
so ... you mean I never ever had a date, Link? sad

Linkalicious
Well I keep turning you down....so I can only assume what I know...

so....Nope!

Moo Cow
*agrees* ^

yerssot
damn you Link! you do not want to give me pleasure sad

Linkalicious
sorry...i'm taken.

but what's this no dating crap about? You've been on dates!!! Right?

yerssot
but not with you sad

and I always have to be home before 3PM... and can't go to the movies alone and such yes

Linkalicious
yah, but i'm taken....permanently!

But i have a twin!!! big grin

yerssot
keep talking shifty

shellie
oh go get a room already roll eyes (sarcastic)

Delicious1
First off *grabs Link and squeezes him* My Brent!
Second, not until they are 16 or 17.

Df02
id say it all depends what kinda date it is, where theyre going, what theyre doing etc....cant just make 1 age for all dates lol

Delicious1
^true.

Linkalicious
^^ Very True...

yerssot
that's what I've been suggesting to him the entire time shellie! stick out tongue

Kotaro
well i'm 16 and still i have not been dating at all, so i say 17-18 then start dating because well school work is more important then a relastionship, at such a young age too, it would be a drain on the childs learning, to be dating and to be distracted all the time by a gf/bf. So i say only let them date at about 17-18

Delicious1
NO! You can't have him! stick out tongue

shellie
at the moment we think maybe 16 but it will depend on how responsible she is not to mention if we get to know the boy or girl well enough to trust them .

Delicious1
or girl? Is she showing signs or something Shell?

Kotaro
its okay if shes Bi nothing wrong with that at all, but still dating at 12 is not right, for now anyways, so michelle if your okay with 16 as the age limit of dating then i guess thats okay

shellie
well , lets just say we raise our duaghters with open minds and open hearts wink

Delicious1
Like I said 16 or 17 is okay. But it also depends on where they're going. Like when my daughter is 16 there's noway in hell she's going on a date without her father or I dropping her off and picking her up and Certain places will be out unless she has a female friend with her.

shellie
good idea ash

i also have been told that it seems a little harsh but when the time comes that she leaves in a car with her date i will get a photo copy of her dates drivers liciense , a picture of the car and tags , and a picture of her date...........

liltiggasmootay
k i started dating in grade 7...grade 7 and eight it was always group dates tho i was never allowed out with my bf alone. once i got to grade 9 my parents started letting me do more and go out alone with my bfs. so i would say grade 9 or 10 let them go out with there bf alone.

liltiggasmootay
but i dunno where u live either......see i live in a small town where everyone knows anyone so it was ok for kids to go out on there own unsupervised at 14

yerssot
shellie, I'm actually happy that never happened to me, I would feel like a criminal

HockeyHorror
girls= 20
boys= 8

thats what my uncle would always tell me laughing out loud

shellie
yers , it may not be pleasent but its my duaghters life and i wont risk her leaving and not coming back against her will .

should something happen ill have something to give to the police.....

yerssot
you make it sound like all guys are rapists...

though I do see the point of course... guys up to the age of 20 (sort of speak of course) try and hump everything in sight

shellie
i know alot maybe even most guys are safe .

though if thats done it'll make the rapist and mudurers think twice about touching her .

dont you think ?

i plan on trying to get to know them first but thats my backup plan as of now .

yerssot
of course, just me as a person who goes on dates, I'm getting freightened here wink

shellie
then hopefully it'll frieghten her dates as well wink

yerssot
oh, don't worry, it will...

shellie
smile

yerssot
not sure if that's a good thing ... perhaps you'll scare them all off wink

Meki_Nade
hey im under 20 and i havn't tried humping shellie yet! have i shel happy

shellie
not all , it can be done in a 'sweet' way roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
biting, right? wink

I said TRY, doesn't mean you have or haven't done it stick out tongue

Meki_Nade
and i also said 'tried' but if you noticed, i put 'yet' in there too, shel's a godess pray

yerssot
so you're planning to then stick out tongue

Meki_Nade
i might wait till im 20! then i'll be out of the group you indicated stick out tongue

shellie
and why not mad

j/k laughing

Alpha Centauri
"at what age should a teen be allowed to go on their first unsupervised date ???"

I think about 14. I know some extremely smart 14 year olds. Some really dumb 30 year olds. Mentality is a big factor.

Teens are only children up to 17 years. 18 years olds and 19 year olds are not children.

-AC

yerssot
and some are still immature wink

shellie
embarrasment

Meki_Nade
^big grin

back on subject, im 18 to be precise and i do what i want, other then break laws, but thats cos, although you'll jus laff at me, is cos im mature about this sorta thing, im as silly as hell with mates, but i'd get the girl home well before curfew happy it has to be at least double figures, and end in teen, then it all depends on their maturity, and what the guy/ girl is like 'stereotypically' cos al those trends (jocks to you us ppls?) jus want sex, whereas the quit person in the corner no one talks to, more then likely, wants someone to hold and be held by.

scuse me wle i smash a moth into the wall for gettin on the monitor mad

yerssot
*offers hammer*

so, you'll date 13 year olds?

Alpha Centauri
"and some are still immature "

Indeed, I know some pathetic 18 year olds.

-AC

shellie
me too as well as i know some mature 15-16 year olds .

maturity level is a big factor .

Meki_Nade
thanks for the offer, but my kitty ate the moths blink i wouldnt date anyone younger then the age i am, some ppl i know my gae dates 13 14 yr olds, i dont say a thing to them, their choice, but i couldnt do that myself, it'd make me feel like a paedophile, besides, im trying to get my ex - fiance to go out with me again, shes a few months older then me..... the cradle snatcher! lol

shellie
laughing out loud quik , turn her in before she robs another cradle

gotta love kitties love

Meki_Nade
kitties rule, hes very sensibly (sleeping) guarding my bass guitar and pro skateboard, half the wealth in my room lol.

you seem to have a nack of making threads with big discussions shel thumb up i like a debate i understand happy

Alpha Centauri
She stole that debate loving attitude from me, don't let her fool you.

She's a slyyyyy one.

wink

-AC

shellie
Alpha > wink

Meki > thumb up

big grin

Meki_Nade
lmao i got a anigif that resembles what my kitty did to a moth, if i knew how to upload it

Meki_Nade
laughing laughing

shellie
big grin

lil bitchiness
Forbidding children to go on dates is asking for trouble, because if you tell them ''no you CANNOT go on a date you are young and irresponsible still'' kids will go on a date to spite you and prove to you that they are all grown up and responsible.

And what better way to feel grown up than have sex.

Parents need to educate and tell children about boys and sex and talk to them about it, not cut them off complitely till they are certain age.

hezzy_baby
i think it depends on the kid. if they're really mature, maybe even 13-14...but that would be like a walk in the park kinda date, lol!

shellie
naturally so..........

my duaghter and i have had many open discussions on boys and sex . im fortunet that i have a duaghter who trust me enough to come to me when she has questions and/or concerns on the issue . its important to have these talks as well as its important to set limits . she talks to me and i talk to her .

if it comes to the point where she is gonna experiment with sexuall relationships before the time she is allowed to date then by all means i will take her myself to the the dr for birth control and she knows this to be true .

Linkalicious
why's it always the guy's fault?

You girls are the scandelous ones that lie to your parents....

Guys are like "hey dad, i'm taking a chick out"

Dad's like "bring a rubber! and go get me a cold beer!" smokin'

shellie
i dont think its the guys fault . my duaghters are responsible for what they allow happen to their bodies . i will hold them responsible for birth control . the pill or shot to prevent pregnancies and condoms to prevent decieses......

Meki_Nade
and i would do this

Alpha Centauri
I would be very critical of my daughters boyfriends or my sons girlfriends if I had kids. Not so much sons girlfriends though because guys do tend to be much more easy going (in some cases) abotu dating. My son would be smart enough never to try anything with a girl that didn't want to or before he or she were ready. Girls however have to be careful who they date coz a guy could just force himself on her. So I'd make sure my daughters boyfriends were up to par. Not to the point that it ruined her social life but jsut so that she were safe.

Girls are the ones at that age, who never know what they want and end up playing boys. So it's more so emotional hurt coming from them. Where as guys may like one girl but only want sex. Which isn't bad if they are honest but isn't as bad as lying and cheating.

It's not always up to the guy to be responsible.

-AC

yerssot
cause rumor has it those girls fake to be angelic, sweet and nice ... till their parents leave

Fiery Eyes
I would say, 16 or 17 and dbl date smile

Linkalicious
fist someone? huh

OUCH!

Tptmanno1
Why do you say that, Im 15 and I feel that I could go on a date with a girl

Fiery Eyes
I just thk it's alot of pressure, even at the age of 16 or 17 it is. If you dbl date maybe, and i said, Maybe, you & your frnd would hold ea other accountable and help ea other out, to stay out of drugs, alcohol, sex things ya shldn't do.
LOL LOL actuall i thk maybe 4 couples LOL hehe

Flavio
like everything in this life i think it depends...on how mature/developed is the kid, and how was the education, as some said forbidding is not the best way, you gotta be sure that the kid is mature enough to understand what is he/she doing and the consequences of a dating, then i think its just tell those usuals 'be careful' and 'dont you wanna be a child a little more? becoz when you grow you will miss the time when you were a kid and could only play with your toys'...

SlipknoT
I'd say 10,12

finti
nah should be in there teens, said my daughter 3 1/2 can date when she is 22 and then I have to check the boys bloodline for 3 centuries first. Only blue blooded allowed

shellie
3 at the least........

laughing

Fiery Eyes
10 or 12?? how old are you? eek!
I don't thk a 10 or 12 yr old is responisble enough for dating & could take on the responsibilities if he/she messes up at that age. Each person is diff, we all mature at diff levels, but i'm still sticking w/16 or 17, unless they were immature.

§nakehead
well, can you usually trust her?

shellie
totally

§nakehead
well, give her a few tries with supervision but lossen the entensity. Example: go pick up at the dry cleaners during a date and stuff like that.

shellie
yeah but at 12 years old , she is not ready yet for dating of any kind . so far she is still not interested in that . am i sure i know that ? yes . we talk openly all the time .

so far she only wants to play sports and her violin .

§nakehead
Yeah just be prepared for when she goes boy crazy. It will surprise you.

shellie
laughing im prepared . i remember being a teen and boy crazy.......

what the hell am i talking about , i never outgrew it . stick out tongue

§nakehead
LOL

SlipknoT
I'm 15 and every girl I know started dating when they were 10-12

shellie
10-12 ?

thats entirely to young , unless its a lego date in the company of adults .

SlipknoT
no, 10-12 is fine, only a soccor mom would have them wait unrill thier 16

shellie
a soccer mom ????

and what kinda DATE is a 10-12 year old ready for , if i may ask ?

SlipknoT
just your average date, you know go to the movies,get food and maybe do something else

finti
how many of you all posting here have kids yourself and out of those who says I, how many have daughters

SlipknoT
I dont have kids and I dont want to have kids

ssj4goku
i say when you feel that you can trust your daughters enough then you can let her go on her first date unsupervised and if she lets you down well then make her earn that trust back

shellie
no expression

finti
even so kids are to youg to date before they are teens anyway, when they reach teenhood they can have someone over, go to the movies.

Fiery Eyes
I have 2 sons. one is 13 the other 16. there is no way my 13 yr old is dating. what do you mean by dating when you're 12? u mean like go to the movies, out to eat w/your parents? that type of dating?

SlipknoT
no no no, I didnt mean have sex when I said do something else laughing out loud

SlipknoT
No, by themselves, is fine. He's 13 and you wont let him date? wow

§nakehead
a playdate stick out tongue

shellie
Slip im not sure how mature you are or not ...........

and this coming from a 30 year old "soccer" mom may not mean anything . that being said ,

there is no way in hell that a 10 , 11 , 12 , 13 or even 14 year old is ready for unsupervised dates .

coarse its just my opinion but hey it might be worth 2 cents somewhere.....

SlipknoT
14!!!! eek! you cant shelter him from the world forever

finti
I had a gf when I was 14 we went to the movies stayed at both hers and my house. went to parties (with booze), yes we start at a young age here in Norway................in many ways.
What I am saying is I know whats inside a teenage boys head, so I wont easily fooled. If my daughter, when the time comes, wants to go steady fine, but they can be at our house or his(after I had a word with the boys parents) When I gonna let go I dont know depends on my daughter and how mature she is for her age, but I know it wont be before the age for confirmation, which is 15 here

SlipknoT
Damn thats how old I am and I started when I was like 11

finti
well at 11 you usually dont have cream in your pipes yet so..........

shellie
to me thats reasonable

§nakehead
this is coming from a 24 year old thats saying shes too young. Skip you must be 13 or something stick out tongue

SlipknoT
laughing thats great

SlipknoT
no im 15 and she isnt to young

finti
how young?

SlipknoT
like 13

shellie
13 is to young , again my opinion .

SlipknoT
13 is not to young at all. To have sex yea, but to go out on a date it's fine

finti
"Sitting on a park bench
eyeing little girls with bad intent.
Snot is running down his nose
greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes.
Hey Aqualung!" -Jethro tull
Sorry just got teh need for some Tull lyrics here
big grin

SlipknoT
Jethro Tull laughing

shellie
smile tull is great

slip im not judging you but since you are a teen boy and you say 13 is too young for sex . im curious , when do you think a teen is ready for that kinda step ? i realize its just one boys opinion but im curious .

SlipknoT
I'd say a teen is ready for sex anywhere beetween 15-17

finti
in Norway the age of consent is 16 here in Norway

SlipknoT
i think it's 18 in the states

shellie
yeah , it is 18 in the states .

i dont expect my girls to wait that long (though id like them to) and if they came to me at age 14 and said they were planning on having sex , id take them for birth control .

SlipknoT
I dont know anyone who would go to thier parent and say"hey mom I'm gonna go get boned" but thats just me. as long as the guy used a rubber she wouldnt need Birth control

shellie
i think mine will , we have an open relationship . we do talk about these things .

condoms are good for the most part , but the depo shot is even better . when it comes time that she is ready i will take her to get this shot and then buy her condoms as well for protectrion against dicieses.......

my brother in law became a daddy at age 15 with his 15 year old gf . she has seen how hard it is to be a parent and from this we discuss the importance of protection . its been hard on my bro but its been a good lesson for my duaghter to watch as well......

Fiery Eyes
Ready at 15 -17 for sex? Ready cuz your hormones are jumping all around, ready cuz sex is fun, feels good, ready cuz everyone else is.... Exactly ready for what? Ready to become a dad/mom and take on the responsiblility, or ready that if that happens your family will take care of the baby? I'm confused how exactly are you ready? confused

finti
there are ways to avoid pregnancy, and one of those ways helps against the spreading of VDs too

Fiery Eyes
Yes there is ways, but...they don't always work. so, just how ready are you? explain?

finti
ready for sex nothing more

Fiery Eyes
so, you're not ready for any resposibility just ready to have some fun, which is what i said, earlier. That doesn't make ya ready hun. you're a kid you just want to have fun.

Fiery Eyes
That fun, comes w/responsibility. forgot to put that in there hehe

SlipknoT
a 5 year old wouldnt be ready for sex because he wouldnt know what to do once he got in

finti
first of all I am in my 30s, second of all sex aint just there to breed.
I take responsibility for all my actions always have always will, when I was a teen I used protection. Not only did we want to make girls our age pregnant, the aids ghost spooked in the background. At that time info about Aids and HIV was sparse.
So sex can be fun and nothing more.

Fiery Eyes
yes it can be, agreed. I did say that earlier too.
I just thk a kid may just want it for fun, but it comes w/responsibility, (like it or not) there's no birthcontrol that is a 100%.

finti
nothing in life is 100%, kids can get in an accident on their way to school, should we keep them away cause there aint a 100% chance on the safety

Fiery Eyes
you're just being silly now lol Sex is not for 15-17 yrs old, they are not ready for it. They are not ready for the responsibility of the consequences.

finti
yet you cling to a book that claim a virgin got impregnated at age 14.stick out tongue

I have been 15-17 I know best for myself what I was ready for or not

Fiery Eyes
True i'm just saying my opinion i thk it's tooooo young.

finti
thats your prerogative

shellie
as long used correctly most birthcontrol might as well be 100% . i know its not , but its good enough to do the job .

Fiery Eyes
smile yes it is, thxx smile

finti
I love a good discussion

queeq
Famous last words? big grin

SlipknoT
honestly if your in your 20's and you havent had sex yet then there is something wrong

Fiery Eyes
Yep, it's nice when you can state your opinion and discuss it w/o getting into a knock down drag out fight.

finti
no what if they waiting for the wedding night, rare happenings but admirable never the less

queeq
But.... but.... THAT's fun!

Fiery Eyes
There's nothing wrong w/someone waiting til their wedding nite. I thk thats awesome when someone has that much will power to wait.

SlipknoT
what about oral sex. I think thats fine for the kids

finti
well it aint sex according to Bill

queeq
laughing

That's the most hilarious line I've read in ages!!! laughing laughing laughing

DesertFOX311
with the type of stuff that has been happening now-a-days....im locking my kid up and throwing away the key.....

parents keep on telling me 'your kids are going to be 10 times worse then you are'......how bad can kids get (other than murder)

Fiery Eyes
HAHAHA eek! according to fiery hehe it is sex

Fiery Eyes
You tellem!!!!! they can't get any worse smile agree w/ya

SlipknoT
you guys seem so hard on your kids

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>