Superman Casting Call

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Superman Casting Underway
Tom Welling vs. the unknown?

August 09, 2004 - The Superman casting buzz continues today with sources for Dark Horizons refuting Web reports that Smallville star Tom Welling had been offered the title role in Bryan Singer's forthcoming Superman movie.

"Singer wants an unknown in the lead role," claims DH's scooper. As early as next week, "Singer and his team will then meet actors, sort through the tapes and decide which actors they want to come to Burbank for a final screen test. Word is Superman might be cast as early as September. The search is apparently all over North America. I guess they'll have casting directors in LA, NY and Canada."

Faster than you can say "faster than a speeding bullet," a casting notice has cropped up online. Ain't It Cool News has posted a casting notice from Pat Moran + Associates Casting looking for an unknown to play the Man of Steel. The notice says the actor must be in their "late 20's, tall, handsome, chiseled good looks. Athletic. Strong character. All American. Confident, yet awkward."

Candidates should send their headshots and resumes to:
Pat Moran + Assoc.
ATTN: "Superman"
3500 Boston St., Suite 425
Baltimore, MD 21224
Photos should also include the candidate's name, age & phone number(s).

Singer Asks Tom Welling to Play Superman?

Posted: Thursday, August 5
Posted By: Markisan Naso
Print This Item

Tom Welling, the actor who plays Clark Kent on Smallville, has been offered the role of Superman, according to www.superman-v.com.

The site says it has proof that Welling recieved an offer for a two-picture deal from director Bryan Singer. Welling apparently has two to three weeks to let Singer know whether he'll play the man of Steel.

TheFilmProphet
Any thoughts or comments on this news?

TheFilmProphet
I honestly don't think Tom Welling can play a good Superman.

What do you guys think?

manchichirtchit
too young.

TheFilmProphet
How about Jim Caviezel?

Caviezel Interested in Playing Superman Source: Associated Press Tuesday, August 10, 2004

The Associated Press has a new article on the Superman movie which talks about one interested actor, the current status of the project and debunks the rumor that Christopher Reeve is involved with the film. Here are several clips...

James Caviezel starred in the Biblical version of that story in Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ." Could he play out that premise again under different circumstances? Say, the comic-book version, with blue tights and a cape?

Caviezel's manager, Beverly Dean, is familiar with the rumor, but calls it speculation.

"Would he like to do it? He loves Superman," she told The Associated Press. "But the truth is there has been no offer, the script isn't even finished - but absolutely he'd be interested."

Bryan Singer, who directed the "X-Men" movies, took over the "Superman" project last month, refueling the rumor machine. He is currently at work on a script, and Warner Bros. says he hasn't begun the casting process, although it must start soon to make the target 2006 release date.

Reeve's spokesman said the actor, who has made several guest appearances on "Smallville," is not involved in any way with the new "Superman" movie, despite Internet rumors to the contrary. Reeve has not seen a screenplay or discussed the project with the studio, and had no comment on who could be his successor.

TheFilmProphet
Superman Casting, Working Title & Guy Dyas Source: Superhero Hype! Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Superman-V.com reports that the working title for Warner Bros.' new Superman movie is "Unbelievable" (just like Batman Begins is filming under the code name "The Intimidation Game"wink and that production designer Guy Dyas is reteaming with X2: X-Men United director Bryan Singer on the project...

Sources inform us that the working title for the film is UNBELIEVABLE. We can also tell you that X2's Guy Dyas has joined the project as the new production designer, replacing Owen Paterson, who along with costume designer Kym Barrett have left the project. The two were involved with the now aborted Superman FlyBy, for more than a year. Paterson is seeking a new project, Barrett is working on Monster-In-Law and The Virgin of Juarez.

More details can be found at the above link. Meanwhile, IGN Filmforce has a bit on the sides used for casting the title role...

IGN FilmForce has learned that the script pages now being used to audition actors for the title role in director Bryan Singer's forthcoming Superman movie are not from either J.J. Abrams' old draft or from the new script being penned by Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty. Instead, the casting directors auditioning contenders for the next Man of Steel are using scenes from 1978's Superman: The Movie.

Shadow_King
Christopher reeve. just kidding. how about brendan fraiser.

TheFilmProphet
Brendan Frazier would ruin Superman forever. wink

TheFilmProphet
Caviezel, Fraser, Law in running to play Superman

rediff Entertainment Bureau | August 12, 2004 10:53 IST

Jim Caviezel may play another superman.

After playing Jesus Christ in Mel Gibson's smash hit, The Passion of the Christ, the devout Catholic is the frontrunner to play Clark Kent, the mild mannered reporter for The Daily Planet.

Of course, as everyone on this planet knows, when evil beckons, when trouble is on the horizon, Mr Kent metamorphoses into 'Look up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it is Superman!'

Bryan Singer, who directed both the cult classic The Usual Suspects as well as the X-Men series, will champion the latest version of the classic comic superhero.

Others being considered for the role: Brendan Fraser (The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, who spurned a movie opposite our very own Aishwarya Rai because his wife's expecting); Jude Law (is there any role the Brit is not in the running for; he is even being considered for 007) and sleepy eyed Josh Hartnett (once billed as the Next Sexiest Thing in the Western World, he has lost some gloss after the clunkers Hollywood Homicide and 40 Days and 40 Nights).

Matt Damon too was being considered to play the Man of Steel in a project to be anchored by Troy director Wolfgang Peterson. That flick will pit Superman against his old ally in fighting crime, Batman. But The Bourne Supremacy star has nixed the enterprise on the ground that he doesn't look like what he thinks Superman should look like.

Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty -- who wrote X-Men 2 and the forthcoming X-Men 3 and are working on Logan's Run with Singer -- will work on the screenplay for the Superman film.

Singer's film is scheduled for a 2006 release.

The last Superman film appeared in 1978. It was directed by Richard Donner, who also made the horror classic, The Omen. Superman starred Christopher Reeve as a memorable Man of Steel -- sadly, Reeve is now a prisoner of a wheelchair after a riding accident.

Marlon Brando was paid $5 million to play Superman's father, the scientist Jor-El from Krypton -- a role that lasts just 10 minutes on screen.

Shadow_King
i thought MB was dead.

TheFilmProphet
He is but the last part of the article was reffering to the original Superman film from 1978.

The last Superman film appeared in 1978. It was directed by Richard Donner, who also made the horror classic, The Omen. Superman starred Christopher Reeve as a memorable Man of Steel -- sadly, Reeve is now a prisoner of a wheelchair after a riding accident.

Marlon Brando was paid $5 million to play Superman's father, the scientist Jor-El from Krypton -- a role that lasts just 10 minutes on screen

BloomBabyGirl
they should just cast tom welling cuz now pple are used to him as the S man

TheFilmProphet
Hes a bit to young. I think we need a Superman between 27 and 33 years old.

lex luther
johnny depp should reunit w/ me i can solve & produce
beyond belief mind-blowing crazy cooool ideas im not kidding
hey johnny 500 dollars was the link to best movie ever made

TheFilmProphet
What are talking about?

TheFilmProphet
New York Post Talks Superman Casting
Source: New York Post
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Have you been wondering why Superhero Hype! is staying quiet about all the Superman casting rumors going around? Trust us, we do official checks with the studio, but there's not much to report yet. Why? Check out this article from the New York Post...

"We have to find someone over 6 feet tall, with good looks, who can act. It's a little on the difficult side," says Seattle casting agent Patty Kalles, who held the open call. She told The Post there would also be auditions in New York, Chicago, Vancouver, Dallas and Los Angeles.

"Last week was pretty pathetic. I was like, God, is that all there is? I mean, they were nice on the eyes, but ..."

It's not as if there's no one in Hollywood who fits the bill. But a Who's Who of Hollywood hunks - Jude Law, Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett, Brendan Fraser and Paul Walker among them - reportedly refused to don the blue tights for "Superman Returns: Unbelievable."

"They've had such a run of bad luck getting this thing together," says Martin Grove, a columnist for Hollywood Reporter Online.

"Casting a role that's as high-profile as Superman is obviously a major piece of work. And the bigger the star, the more insecure they are" - which translates to skittishness about signing on to a project that's had a revolving-door relationship with directors.

TheFilmProphet
Search for new Superman begins

Updated 20 August 2004, 17.26

The search is on to find a new actor to play the all-action hero Superman!

Around 50 actors were invited to attend auditions in Ireland on Friday, in a bid to win the lead role in the new movie.

Film makers Warner Bros have widened their search outside the USA in the hope of finding the perfect hero.

It's thought they're looking for an unknown actor to take on the legendary character, who's famous for leaping tall buildings in a single bound.

The Superman wannabes began rehearsing their eight-page script on Thursday.

Makers plan to begin shooting the film next March.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/tv_film/newsid_3584000/3584126.stm

TheFilmProphet
Tom Welling to Appear in Batman Begins?
Source: Superhero Hype!
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Here's one that came out of nowhere, and might be nothing, but who knows. A scooper sent us a scan of a call sheet that was apparently used for the August 15th shoot on Batman Begins in Chicago. We've cropped it to where it doesn't show the production's "personal" info, and while the info on what was shot is cool, the most interesting bit comes in the Cast list which includes a certain T. Welling as Kent...

While it doesn't says specically "Tom" (who else could it be?), could Tom - who stars as Clark Kent in The WB's Smallville - really have a cameo role in the film? Maybe this is what he was meeting with Warner Bros. about instead of the Superman movie? Is this a real Call Sheet or a fake? If it's a fake, it's one of the best fakes we've ever seen!

TheFilmProphet
A Report on a Superman Audition
Source: SuperHeroHype
Thursday, August 26, 2004

We know the Superman auditions are taking place right now, and here's a report from 'Tim Burner' on his experience...

Hi, just wanted to comment that I auditioned for the role of Superman in Baltimore, MD on Friday, it was quite an experience. There were quite a few guys there that looked the Superman part. I read lines for the Clark Kent scene where he first meets Perry White in the 1978 Superman movie; and I also read lines from the superman scene in which Lois interviews him on top of the building (i.e. the pink underwear scene). It was great. I was very nervous but will never forget the experience of getting the opportunity to screen test for my favorite character of all time.

Meanwhile, MTV also talked to McG, who was once attached to direct, about the project...

As for "Superman," McG wishes Bryan Singer the best. "I was really passionate about telling the genesis story of that character, and ultimately we decided we were going to part company ," he said. "Bryan, look what he did with 'X-Men.' He's a fantastic talent, and I'm sure it will be fantastic. And when the time is right, that picture is going to get made."

TheFilmProphet
Is Jim Caviezel Superman?
Source: Mark Millar
Monday, August 30, 2004

Comic book writer Mark Millar has posted on his official website that "The Passion of The Christ" and "The Count of Monte Cristo" star Jim Caviezel is the new Superman...

You remember I told you to relax about Superman? That a very, very trusted and experienced director we'd all love was coming over? That McG was just a blip? That everything would be fine?

Well, my same good buddy has informed me that, as of last Thursday night, Mister Jim Caviezel is officially the new man of steel and what a perfect choice he is. Expect an announcement shortly. Also, this Superman Returns thing was just for the press release. The movie itself is called SUPERMAN (Reeve's was called SUPERMAN THE MOVIE) and it's starting everything from scratch. Brainiac. Krypton. Robots. Alien super-cities.

We'll have to wait and see if Warner Bros. confirms this. Bryan Singer is directing the film for a Summer 2006 release.

Caviezel's manager, Beverly Dean, previously said that the actor would be interested in playing the role. "Would he like to do it? He loves Superman. But the truth is there has been no offer, the script isn't even finished - but absolutely he'd be interested."

TheFilmProphet
Mark Millar Confident Caviezel is Superman
Source: Mark Millar
Thursday, September 2, 2004

On Monday, comic book writer Mark Millar revealed he had learned that Jim Caviezel ("The Count of Monte Cristo," "The Passion of The Christ"wink had officially been cast as Superman in the new Bryan Singer-directed adaptation at Warner Bros.

Millar's scoop was followed the next day with an apparent debunking by Harry Knowles at Ain't-It-Cool-News, who said that Caviezel had not been cast and wasn't even being considered. He added that Tom Welling was also out of the running.

Mark Millar has answered though, and at his official website today posted...

Just to hammer home how confident I am as regards my source (pretty much as good as it gets), I will personally write a cheque to charity for 1000 dollars from my Wolverine royalties (Wolverine 20 and 21 out October 2004) if Jim Caviezel isn't cast as Superman on the day principal photography starts. Warners may have a couple of PR stunts planned prior to the final announcement, but this is a bet that Jim C is standing there in a Superman costume once the cameras start rolling.

Very interesting! We'll see what Warner Bros. has to say about this, so far we haven't received an answer from the studio regarding the casting.

TheFilmProphet
World's Finest Superman Auditions for WB
Source: MikeOHearn
Thursday, September 2, 2004

SHH! just learned that World's Finest actor Michael O'Hearn had an audition for the new Superman film. Below is a brief description in Mike's own words of what happened...

I went in on Tuesday at 2:45 at Warner Bros. and met with the casting director. They put me on tape, then last night I got a phone call from my manager who stated he talked to the casting director, and their response was they loved my reading, and they are sending me onto the next level. I hope the fans are on my side. Just to give you an update - all the people at Warner Bros. loved my size. They were all screaming out "Now that's a jacked up Superman!" The other 2 guys that were reading besides me, were both about 5'10" and 160 lbs. I think they are looking for somebody taller, because the first thing they asked me when they put me on camera was how tall I was. 6'3" - the same size as Superman.

We all wish Mike luck and look forward to more updates on the casting process of Superman. World's Finest can be viewed here.

It would seem that Warner's is still actively looking for their Superman, and that the rumors of Jim Caviezel being cast are still up in the air.

0-COOL
Does anyone watch Y & R and familiar with the actor Don Diamont who plays Brad Carlton on the soap? I think Warner Bros. needs to look at him and other unknowns who may be able to look and play the part. The dude from smallville plays Clark Kent when he's in his teens for a reason because he looks young. He does a good job but Superman should look in his late 20's not early twenties. I hope they don't choose him or some other young looking guy. I feel that will ruin the movie because unlike Spiderman who is suppose to be a teen in the comics Superman is not. Anyone agree?

TheFilmProphet
Tom Welling is 27 years old now which is old enough I believe even though he looks younger. I also think it depends what time in Superman's life they are planning to tell in the film. I think that there is dozens of better choices out there to play Superman than Jim Caviezel.

TheFilmProphet
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/fan-art/marcel-welling1.jpg

Mr Zero
Jim Caviezel no more... Singer is on record as saying he's talked the studios round to using an "unknown".

And thats a great mock up of welling! One day maybe....

TheFilmProphet
Yeah its a great decision too when I heard about it but I forgot to post it here when I read it. Tom Welling will most likely never play Superman in a film because he is 27 years old and still looks like he is 20 years old. So he is not going to look any more mature for the part in the coming years, he will just get older and thats it.

TheFilmProphet
Here goes the article explaining why they will go with an unknown that I forgot to post before.

Singer, Harris, and Dougherty Talk Superman
Source: Washington Square News
October 1, 2004

Washington Square News reports that Superman director Bryan Singer and screenwriters Dan Harris and Mike Dougherty talked about the upcoming Superman movie at NYU last week. Here's a clip from the article:

"We're going to cast an unknown," declared Singer, who signed on to direct the new film earlier this year. Dan Harris and NYU alum Mike Dougherty, the duo that co-wrote the screenplay for Singer's "X2," are in the process of penning the script.

"It doesn't require a star to go see it. It's Superman - it's its own brand - and..." He trailed off. How does one rationalize rejecting a star?

"Known actors bring baggage, in a way," Harris said. "Sort of distracts you from who really is."

The crew plans on moving to Sydney in November and will begin shooting in March.

Hit the link above for the full article! Meanwhile, Smallville star Tom Welling tells the New Zealand Herald that he'll stick to the small screen:

"It would be something to consider but I don't even let myself think about it. It's too big an idea," he smiles.

sexyking
Tim routh is playing superman and he looks no diffrent from tom weilling. I think they should have showed audition takes of actors and let the fans decide something like that.

TheFilmProphet
Actually his name is Brandon Routh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.