Criterion Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr. Strangelove
Ive been getting into Criterion releases as they produce excellent DVD's of great movies. Their price tag is a bit high but their worth it. Just wondering what collections of criterions everybody has or what movies they want to add.

Heres mine

Stray Dog

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse

Do The Right Thing

The Third Man

Seven Samurai

Grand Illusion

Ill post the criterion movies I want later as their are a lot. big grin

Wolfie
The only Criterion movie I have is Chasing Amy.

Dario Argento

MildPossession
What exactly are the differences between these dvds and any other dvd of the film?

Dario Argento
Criterion always gives the best tranfer and audio, plus the extras on them are terrific, especially the audio comenteries.

WindDancer
Great thread! Yes! I'm also very pleased with the quality that the ppl at the criterion collection have been putting into their DVD's. The only mistake they've done so far was armageddon. I really don't see why the need for a criterion edition. Is a film rather dull and not very original IMO.

Mildpossesion>Criterion began with a mission to pull the treasures of world cinema out of the film vaults and put them in the hands of collectors.

I own these titles:

The Rock
Naked Lunch
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
Spartacus
Brazil
The Samurai collection
Akira Kurosawa samurai collection
The Royal Tenenbaums
M
Ikiru
The Killer
Kwaidan
Man bites dog
Rashomon
Ali: Fears eat the soul

I will soon be getting these future releases:

Videodrome
The Battle for Algiers
M (2004 re-release new edition)
Eyes without a face
Shadows

Rare, and wanted list:

Salo
Robocop
Traffic
Dead Ringers
Hard Boiled

Dr. Strangelove
Nice, I'm trying to hold off buying the old M with the new version in the works. From what Ive read Videodrome sounds very interesting and I also hope to get Slacker when it comes out. The armageddon deal is mostly for criterion to make money on the mainstream market since most of their films aren't for mainstream movie fans. Hear's the criterions I hope to get that are already out.

Ikiru
8 1/2
Eisenstein: The sound years box seat with Ivan the Terrible I and II and Alexander Nevsky
Spartacus
Notorious
The Leopard
Brazil

Dario Argento
I'm really looking forward to Videdrome as well. There are so many criterion releases I wanna own...

WindDancer
I got it yesterday and I'm extremely happy with what CC did with DVD. It includes a couple of essays on the movie, and two documentaries. Is just superb! I highly recomend this one! David Cronenberg is a genious! thumb up

Dario Argento
yes

Mr Zero
I woudnt go as far as to call Cronenberg a genius - but he's an underrated director.

Cinemaddiction
Agreed, especially when it comes to "Rabid". thumb down

Dario Argento
I think I agree.. I don't think I would call him genius either,but Videodrome and Naked Lunch are master pieces in my eyes.

WindDancer
For me David has a great record of horror/sci-fi movies. I see him as a genious for combining two genres and delivering memorable movies. But going back to the topic of Criterion Collection.....

....anyone reads the essays of the films from the website? I recommend them they go perfectly together with the DVD's. I highly sugest ppl read them. Is more an insight into the films.

MildPossession

Dario Argento
the recent 2-disc release is better than the criterion release.

Mr Zero
I have dario to thank for telling me that The Adventures of Antoine Doinel was released. hat/tip.

If anyone has any other hints (such as the 2 disk M being better than the criterion release - more info please!) then lets make use of this thread. We could even start an arts movie thread! Faint!

Cipher
I just have the Kurosawa four pack: The Seven Samurai, The Hidden Fortress,
Yojimbo, and Sanjuro. All excellent.....

Dario Argento
eek!

xs-
ffff

Mr Zero
Just to keep this thread alive -

A shout out for the criterion release of Terry Gilliams BRAZIL. Not only the 137 min Directors cut of the movie but an entire disc of documentaries interviews and commentary - but also the butchered "happy" version of the film as first released (in America not Europe) which has to be seen to be believed.

Gilliams direction is unique and his influence can be seen in some of todays hot props. Brazil is his touchstone, I only wish somebody would stump up the $$$ to have the film digitally remastered and given a final polish.

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove
I've got to give credit to Criterion for a fantastic job they did with The Battle of Algiers 3 disk set. The movie was amazing, I'll probably write a review of it when I have the time which isn't much these day's with college. The transfer was great and I've only dug into half of the extras and they are all informative and well made. The Five Directors segment was very interesting were they talked about how controversial the film was at that time, and how the film parallels in today's world. thumb up

thegreatrudini
Ive got Criterions SALO coming soon

Mr Zero
Again - I love this thread. I had no idea this was out.

Cinemaddiction
Superb.

WindDancer
Next week folks! (December 7th 2004) Criterion will be releasing the anticipated 2 disc Edition of Fritz Lang's M!!!!

Dr. Strangelove
Yeah, I'll be getting the 2-disk M for my Dad ...and me whistle for Christmas since both of us love the film. I just hope he doesn't buy it as it happened last Christmas when both of us bought The Treasure of the Sierra Madre for eachother and I had to return one of the copies. laughing out loud

WindDancer
lol! You can always return it and get another Criterion title. stick out tongue
Man! I can't wait for the release next week.

Cipher
Is the Criterion release of Robocop still available? And is that the unrated version?

Dr. Strangelove
The criterion Robocop is out of print so it's a really rare item although Ebay seems to have good prices for it. I'm not sure if its the untrated version.

Cipher
I'll have to look into that, then. Thanks for the info
Dr. Strangelove.

Dr. Strangelove
thumb up

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13541

Dr. Strangelove
Just a shout out for The Adventures of Antonie Doniel set. Showing all the movies about Doniel starting from his childhood to adulthood it's a set any fan of the films should get.

Also, in terms of new Criterions, I hope to get:

Haxan
Jubilee
Hearts and Minds
Fanny and Alexander Box Set
Youth of the Beast
The Hidden Fortress

logie
OK what will you give me plus all of the discs on your page for my Criterion SALO 112 minute running time disc? BTW the UPC code on my gem is 7 15515 00922 5 The disc case inside has the 29 Chapter insert (5 Circles with x number of chapters each and the John Powers review of Passolinis death, text is white and orange on vomit medium dark green body background. Chapter list is black text on a soft yellow body background? Disc bought at amazon.com in late 1998 same year as issue!Hmm

Dario Argento
Does any of you guys own the 5-disc criterion release of Fanny and Alexander? if you don't, I'll recomend that yopu buy it, its fantastic!

WindDancer
For you Samurai Cinema fans (like me) Criterion is preparing a Special Edition Sword of Doom!

One of the classics and most violent of the genre is finally coming to DVD. And Criterion is making it possible. So get ready is due sometime in March or April.

Solo
March 15th.

WindDancer
That's even better! Thanks Solo! big grin

btw-what happen to the << >>?

Solo
No problem, the << >> thing just kind of....grew old. Kind of got annoying I guess.

shugie99
I rented the Criterion DVD of My Own Private Idaho this weekend. It was excellent. They had a separate DVD with deleted scenes and interviews. I am definitley interested in buying some in the future.

Dr. Strangelove
Excellentthumb up . They're expensive but worth it. I would recommend trying Borders books, or Amazon.com for pretty good prices on Criterion titles.

I'm hoping to buy Eyes Without a Face this weekend. big grin

Dr. Strangelove
Hoop Dreams criterion collection. Can't wait.thumb up

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=289

Dr. Strangelove
Has anybody bought any Criterions lately?

I haven't been able to as all my money is going to music right now, as I need to stock up for my trip to Europe. Hopefully, I'll be able to start buying Criterions when I get back as there have been some great releases.

Anyways, Lord of the Flies is getting Criterion treatment.

http://criterioncollection.com/asp/release.asp?id=43

That cover is ****ing awesome!

Cinemaddiction
I bought some, but not for myself, lol.

Armageddon, The Seventh Seal, Haxon, The Lady Vanishes, and Blood for Dracula all for $30, used. Made a nifty profit. yes

MildPossession
Ooo The Seventh Seal, and The Lady Vanishes, nice films.

MildPossession
Traffic isn't that rare on Criterion Edition. I was going to get it but then remembered I felt ill from the camera work, so would hardly ever watch it.

So far I have:

Eyes Without A Face
3 Women

There are lots that I would like, some of them are:

Diabolique
Insomnia
Solaris
The Red Shoes
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Kagemusha (most Akira Kurosawa in CE)
Le Circle Rouge
Short Cuts
The Third Man
Wages of Fear
Youth of the Beast
The Lady Vanishes
Tout Va Bien

and more, found all the ones I want on one site, but too expensive to get a load.

WindDancer
Looking forward to Seppuku (Harakiri) Criterion Edition. Another great classic of the Samurai Cinema genre. big grin

MildPossession
Oo yeah heard about that, out in August, so not long to wait. The front cover of the dvd is rather fabulous for the film.

Have not seen the film myself, but gather it's rather good.

Eraserhead
Love Criterion and what they do for classic films. So far I own these:

Au hasard Balthazar
Branded To Kill
Hard Boiled OOP
The Hidden Fortress
Hoop Dreams
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Special Edition Two-Disc Set
Sanjuro
Seven Samurai
Straw Dogs OOP
Stray Dog
The Sword Of Doom
Wild Strawberries
Yojimbo

I hope to add
The Seventh Seal
Rashomon
Eyes Without A Face
Gimme Shelter
High And Low
The Adventures of Antoine Doinel
Tokyo Drifter

along with many others.

WindDancer
Once again Criterion is helping to get more Samurai films into DVD. Look forward to these classics of the genre coming this fall!

Samurai Rebellion
Sword of the Beast
Samurai Spy

And Kihachi Okamoto's classic samurai film Kiru (Kill)

Eraserhead

Dr. Strangelove
Everybody should check out the F for Fake Criterion. It is a great Orson Welles film. Right up there with Citizen Kane for me.

Also Man Bites Dog. Criterion has done better in the feature department but $30 is worth it for one of the most amazing movie experiences you'll ever have.

MildPossession
I have been wanting to replace my video with the dvd of the film, didn't realise it was on Criterion Edition, will look into that.

Since I last posted in here I have got a little collection of Criterions going, have about 20 of the dvds at the moment, but lots and lots I would like on Criterion Edition. So prettyyyyyy. My favourite out of the lot is The Lady Vanishes, glad to have the film on Criterion.

WrathfulDwarf
Heads up Everyone!

Criterion will be re-releasing Traffic on a 2 disc DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E1OI7G/002-1585646-0312003?n=130

BackFire
$40? No way.

What they need to do is re-release Salo. Big money waiting there.

MildPossession
Traffic 2 disc Criterion looks interesting, $31 some places.

WrathfulDwarf
DVD Empire has it for $27.87. I'm getting a copy today. But might pay extra...don't want to order it online.

papabeard
I have The Life Aquatic Criterion Edition, monster good extras. Got it for £7 or $3.75

ANchor Bay Dvd's aint too bad either

MildPossession
I only got the 1 disc criterion edition of Life Aquatic, worth getting the 2 disc version because I adore the film.

papabeard
Originally posted by MildPossession
I only got the 1 disc criterion edition of Life Aquatic, worth getting the 2 disc version because I adore the film.

Yeah, genius film and so cheap, there are 3 documentaries and heaps of other stuff on the 2 disc edition. And a brilliant and hilarious interview with Wes and the screenwriter on some italian film tv show, not sure if its a parody or not, it has to be seen to be believed, on second thoughts it has to be a parody

WrathfulDwarf
Head up everyone!

Criterion will release a NEW SE 3 disc set for Seven Samurai and will be also re-lease Brazil in September. Rumors are flying that CC will be re-release certain editions previously out of stock. Keep an eye on certain titles. I'm crossing my fingers that John Woo's The Killers and Salo will be included. However, at this point these are only rumors.

btw-yes, CC has a new look.

Solo
The new "look" to the criterion is terrible.

Looking forward to a new release of Silence of the Lambs.

C-Dic
Hhuh? Criterion lost the rights to that movie a looooong time ago, and I don't expect they'll ever revisit it. Their edition of that movie was horrible to begin with, picture wise. The only really decent aspect of it was the Demme/Foster/Hopkins commentary.

Older Criterion releases have a tendency to be a good bit overrated, just because of the name sake.

Nevermind
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Head up everyone!

Criterion will release a NEW SE 3 disc set for Seven Samurai and will be also re-lease Brazil in September. Rumors are flying that CC will be re-release certain editions previously out of stock. Keep an eye on certain titles. I'm crossing my fingers that John Woo's The Killers and Salo will be included. However, at this point these are only rumors.

btw-yes, CC has a new look.

Mad! I'll have to look out for that Seven Samurai one. Thanks for the heads up WD.

Solo
Originally posted by C-Dic
Hhuh? Criterion lost the rights to that movie a looooong time ago, and I don't expect they'll ever revisit it. Their edition of that movie was horrible to begin with, picture wise. The only really decent aspect of it was the Demme/Foster/Hopkins commentary.

Older Criterion releases have a tendency to be a good bit overrated, just because of the name sake.
I didn't know it was a shitty release. I'm a big fan of SOTL so I figured a criterion would be a must have, guess not. Thanks for the info.

WrathfulDwarf
This Seven Samurai 3 disc is worth EVERY penny. Watch it again over the weekend. The quality is no different than the previous dvd. I love the intermission. The documentaries really make it worth it. Full interviews of Kurosawa and details of the film. Audio Commentary is good not perfect still very worth it to hear it. Once again Criterion delivers!

roughrider
I put in a request to Criterion to get the rights for Runaway Train (1985, with Jon Voight and Eric Roberts.) It's great, and has a Kurosawa connection, being based on an original screenplay he wrote that wasn't produced. MGM has only a non-anamorphic copy on the market, that also looks grainy.

Impediment
Criterion Titles I own:

Chasing Amy
Dazed and Confused
Monty Python's Life of Brian

roughrider
I live someplace where a lot of Criterion can be rented. I only own one title to date - George Washington.
They are MUCH cheaper to buy online, than from the retail stores up here.

Solo
I own a few, but I'll be buying ten or so in the next month.

Short Cuts
Royal Tenenbaums
Rushmore
Samurai - Musashi Miyamoto

C-Dic
I've got 4 in "Carnival of Souls", "The Rock", "Naked Lunch", and "Videodrome". I'd like "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" at some point. Kinda regret selling off the copy I found for $3.

WrathfulDwarf
Awesome news for you Samurai film fans! big grin

Next month Criterion will be re-released Yojimbo/Sanjuro. They will come in a set or individual. New Documentaries and super cool DVD covers.

Yames
Why in the hell (pardon the pun) won't Warner Bros. release Ken Russell's "The Devils" on DVD??? The performances in that film are amazingly good and if Critereon can put out another version of Pasolini's "Salo," why couldn't they do the same for "The Devils?" This is very frustrating. Visually, the film is stunning with all of Derek Jarman's sets. As I mentioned, the acting is first rate, especially Oliver Reed and Vanessa Redgrave. This story is twisted, but it remains one of the best films Russell has ever done. Somebody DO something!! Know anybody who works at Warner's?

The Core
There ya go..

It's probably R0, not that it really matters.

yvonekarate
I own;

All That Heaven Allows (1955)
Black Narcissius (1947)
The Lady Eve (1941)
Pygmalion (1938)
Summertime (1955)
Written On the Wind (1956)

Regards, Yvonne

MildPossession
I'm looking forwards to the 2 disc edition of If... soon, can't wait!!

Solo
No kidding, I've been stuck with my bootleg for years. The quality is shit.

Wolfie
Originally posted by Impediment
Criterion Titles I own:

Chasing Amy
Dazed and Confused
Monty Python's Life of Brian
That's my Criterion collection minus Life of Brian.

jon84
I only own Brazil. Haven't been buying any DVDs lately.

WrathfulDwarf
Another well done job by Criterion!

I bought the 2 disc Salo: 120 days of sodom edition and it is very VERY good!

As always Criterion is very pricey but man oh man! It's worth it. thumb up

BackFire
Ah! Glad you got that DVD, WD. It is great. The booklet that it comes with is great, some interesting stuff.

WrathfulDwarf
I really love the transfer...good quality. Makes me appreciate the film much more. I'm digging the documentaries and the commentary too. Well done job CC. thumb up

ragesRemorse
The rolling Stone, Gimmie Shelter
The seventh seal
Life aquatic with Steve Zissou
Vampyr
Elevator to the gallows
Charade
Hard Boiled
Robocop
Down by Law
Man Bites dog
The Killer
Yojimbo

Metropolitan

Impediment
I just got Salo yesterday. It was pricey, but GODDAMN this movie was f*cked up and good.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.