The Amish

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stormy Day
What does everybody think about the people who live in the present day but start cultures outside the city that look like there set in the 1800s.They where the cloths,they make the food,and they teach the same way they did a 100 years ago.

Darth Revan

Stormy Day
lol

Darth Revan
Well back on topic. I think it's more than a little odd that the Amish believe you have to stay away from modern society in order for God to consider them devoted or whatever...

moonwalker741
i went to amish country just recently,

boring...no expression

i have to say, buts its nothing taht i expected, becuase there are paved roads, cars, store outlets.......it was odd

finti
i think the amish are cool at least they are honost toward their believes

Stormy Day
really?

Anoushka
cars? blink

Linkalicious
They're major imbreeders. They tend to marry their 1st cousins and what not, alot because they have a small population that has kept themselves in an inner circle for a very long time.

I hear that at the age of 16 or so, they are sent out into societ for 2 years to see what it's like. Then they get the option to go back or stay out there.

Most stay because they've been raised one way, and they aren't completely suited for modern life.

WindDancer
A bit off topic....

Has anyone seen those absurd commercials advertesing a new reality tv show "Amish in the city"? An Amish family moves to LA to live a regular life in the big city and if they win...they get a new horse as a price?! Heavens sake! And we call ourselves civilization! no

Darth Revan
oh yeah, I've seen that ad... They get a new horse for a prize? That's really dumb...

Papaumau
AND....what about that "turn the other cheek" thing ?

OK....this rule is in all Christian bibles but I believe that the Amish actually carry it out to the letter !

This creates a feeling in me that makes me wonder what they would do if they were attacked by neighbours down the hill who wanted their land ?

OK...let's make the point bigger...

They live quietly and happily in the United States, enjoying their pacifist existence, but what if The Al-Quaeda decided that they wanted to bomb them all out of existence ?

Would they defend themselves or would they hope that their neighbours down the hill might want to do this thing for them ?

The point that I am trying to make here is that just like the suicide-bombers of the extremist Muslims, the Amish are willing to become martyrs for their faith even although every ounce of sense and sensibility should tell them not to....

So much for blind faith eh ?

Stormy Day
"Amish in the city"is a bit intriging to see how they react to certain things that we use in modern life.But most of the time they arent even amazed at what we have.

A horse for a prize?

Darth Revan
They would stand around praying, saying that God would save them if they "had faith" or something...

WindDancer
You know....I don't think the price is even a horse...I'm not sure anymore. blink

Anyways, still is a stupid show idea. thumb down

Darth Revan
no it's not... Since we all know Amish people are soooooo interesting roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

WindDancer
I'm trying to remenber the name of a movie in which Harrison Ford gets involve in a mystery and ends up hidding in an Amish village. Hmmm....anyone seen that movie? confused

lil bitchiness

Moo Cow
laughing out loud

one time i was driving through pennsylvania, and i saw a amish lady on a john deer confused

Moo Cow
oppie, double post embarrasment

Moo Cow
laughing out loud

one time i was driving through pennsylvania, and i saw a amish lady on a john deer confused

Stormy Day
messed

why three post?

Moo Cow
i dont know messed i didnt realize i had three posts

hezzy_baby
I was driving through Kitchener last month and we had to stop at the stop light for menonites in a carraige to go by. blink

Darth Revan
laughing

Stormy Day
blink laughing

Fiery Eyes
There's alot of things I wouldn't want to do w/o like they do, But I thk it's cool how they take care of eachother. No one does w/o. if somene needs a barn built, everyone pitches in and helps. They don't do that anywhere else. That part of the amish people, is awesome and I wish people could come back together like that. smile

SlipknoT
I saw Amish people in a burger king once

finti
It is called "Witness"

Shadow_King
never seen an amish person and i have never been to an amish community.

SlipknoT
why werent there amish people there

Stormy Day
blink

Stealth Agent
My grandmother lives near lotta amish. i see them on the road. My younger cousin stuck a gameboy out the car window and waved it at them.

i see amish ppl in walmart all the time.

The movie with harrison ford and the amish ppl is called star wars

finti
laughing out loud laughing out loud watch out for those dreaded Amishtroopers, and the emperor Ebenezer. They chase you with pitch forks

by the way the film is called Witness if some one missed it in an earlier post

Papaumau
Yeh...I have heard that one too !

This makes me think about the "Will of God" thingy..... If they think that why then do they try to make themselves better when they are sick ?

Some religious cults/churches - I believe that The Mormons are included here - ( Church of The Latter Day Saints ), will not allow blood-transfusions and would rather die waiting for their God to save them than accept the life-giving blood from another person.

What they want to do is to make up their minds: Do they want to leave it all up to the will of their God or do they want to pitch in and give him/her/it a hand ?

Either what happens IS the will of God or it isn't !

finti
thought that was the Jehovah's
Witnesses.

Papaumau
Yeh Finti....

I think you are right too !

These religious subgroups all run together for me sometimes !

finti
guess how god must have it keeping track of them all wink cool

Papaumau
Yeh...And I wonder what he thinks of the muslims just now ?

After all..I believe that Allah is just another name for God.

finti
aint they one of the subgroup grown big

Tptmanno1
No, Even thought they were, Im gonna say created for a lack of a better word, 500 years after Christianity, they are and entirly seperate religious thingy.

§nakehead
Im living in an amish paradiese cool

finti
it was a joke roll eyes (sarcastic)

WindDancer
There you go! That's the title I was looking for. I gotta watch that movie.

finti
yeah its a good one, one of Harrisons best performeces

Stormy Day
I was gonna say that but I thought it was set it modern times.

§H@Ñ€
I work at a fast food restraunt called Culvers, and they always come in! and i dont get why they would come to a modern place to eat, if they dont have modern clothes, hair, and relationships. And i swear they all have uni-brows. and i know they do live in normal houses, just they dont have electricity. i'm not sure about pluming though. and how they hell do they make money?!?!?!?!? OUR DAMN TAXES BETTER NOT BE PAYING FOR THEM TO LIVE! if so, they can all die... evil face

Stormy Day
There all hypocrites erm

BackFire
They wear funny hats.

SlipknoT
and suspenders

Stormy Day
blink

I resent making this thread closedeyes

SlipknoT
why?

Stormy Day
Its caled "The Amish" and yet these people visit burger king,have grocery outlets,drive cars,so far the only they do thats pertaining to the 1800's is dress.

Darth Revan
a lot of religious people are hypocritical... that's why organized religion sucks ass yes (don't mean that personally BTW)

Stormy Day
I agree some religious people are hypocrites,but many more are not.

But where talking about the Amish not christians.

finti
Amish is a branch of christianity

Stormy Day
So where talking about how they live not there religion.And it shouldnt be a branch of christianity you can live in the world and still be saved.But I think they took the scripture that says "Seperate yourself from the world"too literally wink

§H@Ñ€
well did you know they have a lot of incest goign on?! where i live i heard you could pay them $100 to screw one of their women so they get pregnet by someone who is not in the family

SlipknoT
thats just wrong

Stormy Day
I dont understand erm

Scholar
The Amish dont have to pay any taxes either, just b/c they live like the 1800's they get off without having to pay taxes. RETARDED mad

Darth Revan
This coming from a person who claims to take the bible literally roll eyes (sarcastic)

Stormy Day
The bible says to sepearte yourself from the world.That doesnt mean live apart from the world it just means spiritual not to be like the world erm

If you think bashing me gets on my nerves then think again because I dont really care smile

Darth Revan
I'm not trying to bash you, I'm just stating fact.

Stormy Day
"This coming from a person who takes the bible literally roll eyes (sarcastic)"

That didnt need to be said erm and the fact that you used the rolleye smilie isnt too uplifting either.I also am stating a fact maybe you should read my post before making fun of the,.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.