What if Marvel Comics and Dc joined together

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shadow_King
ok this might be a crappy thread but i had to hear what you thought. What if in the near future DC and Marvel drop their feud and join as one comic book industry call MC (shitty name i know)

TheFilmProphet
This is from our discussion yesterday in another thread.

Shadow_King
yea i decided to make the thread.

TheFilmProphet
Good idea. I was going to do it but I forgot lol big grin

Shadow_King
lucky i knew you were gonna do it so i decided to do it quickly.

TheFilmProphet
You should make threads more often like I do.

Shadow_King
nah i cant think of anything.

Shadow_King
ok film we should get off topic and on topic. now if marvel and dc joined i bet the avengers would fuse into one group called Avengers of America

Shadow_King
and their would be a lot of bad guys and good guys from this merger.

TheFilmProphet
How about the X-Men and JLA together instead.

Shadow_King
ok X-League or maybe Justice men(too sexist)

Shadow_King
how about avengers,x-men,jla together-X-Avengers of America=X-AA

TheFilmProphet
How about this

JXA

Justice
X
Avengers

Shadow_King
ok fair cool name.

TheFilmProphet
Who would the Fantastic Four join with?

Shadow_King
they would join with JXA

Shadow_King
just kidding. they would join jsa

LeAtHerRFace
Itd be a disaster. Only a few DC characters should go to Marvel. Such as: Lobo, Bane, Doomsday, Batman, Nightwing, Greenlantern, etc.

Shadow_King
yo dont know what you talknig about.

Lenord
There have been enough crossovers between the two to convince me that it would be a bad idea. Anyone remeber when they did JLA/Avengers or the DC/Marvel or Superman/Silver Surfer, Superman/Spiderman... they were all terrible. The only one that seems to make the crossover well is Batman that is why he has more crossovers than the reast... Batman/Spider-Man (Twice), Batman/Daredevil, Batman/Punisher....

If you get a chance you should read the JLA/Avengers story. Altho the story is not all that good, it does show the fundamental differences between DC and Marvel universe (in relation to earth anyway). DC earth is generally a rosier version of the Marvel earth, where there is more tolorance, the heroes are appreciated and loved almost all the time, and where the future looks bright.... Now Marvel, every time we see the future it is ****ed up.

Magee
I loved the JLA/Avengers corssover. Mainly coz big George was doing the art, but the story wasnt to bad, and the final issue! Wow i was realy impressed with all the battles, the art and the amount of heroes and their diff versions they got in there, loved it.

As for DC and Marvel joining together.... No lol. I wouldnt mind if Marvel bought some of there main characters coz they were going bankrupt. But no way would i like Marvel and DC to join. wink

Nataku8188
How do you say... Amalgam

Mane
i know right? they had amalgams. only a few were good other than that they sucked.

the good ones were
Hyena (Lobo, Sabretooth, and the Joker)
Speed Demon (Ghost Rider, Flash, and Etrigan)
Dr. Strangefate (Fate, Prof. X, and Dr. Strange)
Dr. Doomsday (Dr. Doom and Doomsday)
Thanoseid (Thanos and Darkseid)
Iron Lantern (Green Lantern and Iron Man)
Bizzarnage (Bizzarro and Carnage)
Piotyr (Colossus and Bane)
Sinistron (Sinistro and Onslaught)
and Ra's A Pocalypse (Ra's Al Ghul and Apocalypse)

those are the only good Amalgams

Shadow_King
wow so it looks like "no" is what ppl think.

mycatrox14
I dont really know at all !!! (*)

manjaro
well the fact that amalgam sucked over all is undeniable proof that a merger would be disastrous. there are fundamental differences in each respective universe. i.e DC is more spiritual, magical, and religious while Marvel is more scientific.

in DC there is definatley a god, referred to as the presence. there are angels, machinatoins of god like spectre,strange visitor, and it is made clear that "god" is the creator of the universe.

while in marvel you have an insurmountable number of abstract cosmic entities who do their own thing and doesnt answer to anybody. there all listed as being as old as the universe itself and they were all reborn after the big bang blah blah blah

in fact, the only cosmic being that seems to answer to someone is LT. his master is seemingly TOAA, even then it isnt made clear whether this is "god" or not, but we just assume it is.

its little things like these that throws a wrench in everything. if they were to join up permanently they would have to revamp the entire continuum, and if they're gonna do that they may as well create a new company and start from scratch.

besides, since all the charcters are so famous and everyone already has favorites in each universe, it would be a constant battle to see which title or character should be the flagship for the company and a lot of writers would just get frustrated and walk away

Lenord
Have any of you read the Just Imagine run of comics where Stan Lee took some of DC's characters and recreated them according to his vision. It was fun to see what he did to the heroes (this was not some minor changes he made, you would not recognise the characters or story).

Batman is a black, bold guy with a mustach who has been convicted of armed robery, Superman is an alien who ended up on earth tring to stop a prisoner in his home planet after he kills his wife and stole a ship that travels through time/space, Green Lantern is a guy who is chosen to possesse a mistical/magical power (no ring or lantern anywhere to be seen), Shazam is a huge red demon like creature with huge wings (sometimes anyway) and he also re-made wonder woman but I did not read that....

If for some reason Marvel bought out DC or DC bought out Marvel they don't have to merge the universes... do they?

ScarletSpider
I don't think they'd have to merge universes. Marvel certainly has enough universes going on by themselves. 616, Knights (although this is more of just a continuity clash) the Max-verse, Ultimate continuity.

I read on Newsarama awhile ago that the heirs of the creators of Superman are trying to get the copywrite back, and everything looks good for them. DC will keep the trademark (the logo and name) but the copywrite owners will get Clark Kent, Metropolis, the costume and everything that makes up superman. They could shop this back to DC or sell it to Marvel or whatnot. As Marvel prospers, and DC enters a state of entropy and gets raped by WB, I can see them maybe dipping into the red ink and within a decade or so (if the Superman creators sell to Marvel) some DC characters will be bought up by Marvel. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of DC's characters end up being retconed into Marvel if it happens, and depending on the amount of characters that Marvel could procur, that might have to be the case. If Marvel gets Supes, but not Lex Luthor or Doomsday, then why give him his own universe if they'd just have to make up new people to populate it?

Lenord
How will they put them into the Marvel universe.... There is too much history conserning the big heroes... The only way I can see it happening is if they put them in the Ultimate universe since it is still pretty new and they can introduce them to the universe without being left too far behind by the other characters. Also since all the other chars are getting a revamp it wont seem so bad revamping the DC characters either...

ScarletSpider
They could do some massive Alias Jessica Jones retcons. They've been there all along, we just haven't been paying good enough attention.

Mav
No way. I go to Marvel for fun fighting, some thought, and Cosmics. I go to DC for thought provoking revolutionary comics.

ScarletSpider
I go to Marvel for...everything. I'm a fairly biased Marvel fanboy. I like DC stuff too, but more of a Marvel fan.

Linkalicious
If Marvel and DC joined together, it's be worst than the WWE. I've always loved the cross overs, but i think that's how it should always stay.

jayson
who cares. as long as the stories are good.

JestersJoker

roughrider
You bump a four-year old thread, that's also in the wrong forum?

Marvel Detective Comics? That name sucks.

Doctor-Alvis
Batman and Wolverine fight with a series of harmless grapples and throws in Disneyland, each commenting on the good food and exciting rides.

JestersJoker
Stan Lee is now working for Disney.

Superman copyright case - court ruling against Time Warner

writer Jerry Siegel and artist Joe Shuster
Superman will go wherever both families want him to go, and apparently both families are unhappy enough with Time Warner to bring a legal claim. So it could even go to Marvel.

In the mid-1970s, Marvel was affected by a decline of the newsstand distribution network. Sales remained high for large sellers, but cult hits such as Howard the Duck were the victims of the distribution problems, with some titles reporting low sales when in fact they were being resold at a later date in the first specialty comic book stores. An attempt by Marvel to buy DC was frustrated by their refusal to sell their entire library of characters (DC wanted to retain control of Superman and Batman, and the company was sold to Warner instead).

I am thinking if Marvel gets the rights to Superman.
A Marvel/DC merger will soon follow.
This would give Marvel a bargaining chip to get a deal they have been wanting for along time.

A MDC fan

Grinning Goku
Bad idea.

Darth Macabre
There would be a major consolidation of heroes and villains; whatever "akin" characters the companies have added over the years would have to go.

JestersJoker
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
There would be a major consolidation of heroes and villains; whatever "akin" characters the companies have added over the years would have to go.

Sure would like to know why you think a Marvel DC merger would result in the elimination of similar superhero characters.
Once a character is created it goes in the Marvel or DC library to be used whenever a writer or storyteller decides to use it again.

The only way in my opinion similar superhero characters would not be used as much is if a merger would result in half the writers and editors are layed off.

So what you are really saying is if Marvel and DC merged it would result in a lay off of writers and editors because the number of comics being made, drawn, written and sold would be cut in half.

Because when it comes down to it. It is about personalities not superheroes who have similar powers.

I do not think in my opinion that the number of graphic novels or comic books being written would drop if there were a merger, if anything I think it would result in more writers and editors being hired.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by JestersJoker
Sure would like to know why you think a Marvel DC merger would result in the elimination of similar superhero characters.
Once a character is created it goes in the Marvel or DC library to be used whenever a writer or storyteller decides to use it again.

The only way in my opinion similar superhero characters would not be used as much is if a merger would result in half the writers and editors are layed off.

So what you are really saying is if Marvel and DC merged it would result in a lay off of writers and editors because the number of comics being made, drawn, written and sold would be cut in half.

Because when it comes down to it. It is about personalities not superheroes who have similar powers.

I do not think in my opinion that the number of graphic novels or comic books being written would drop if there were a merger, if anything I think it would result in more writers and editors being hired. Because the merged companies wouldn't be able to carry as many names or as many legacies; its as simple as that. You can't have Sentry running around and being called the "most powerful" when Superman is in the same city as him. That just can't happen.

JestersJoker
I respectfully disagree,

If Time Warner acquired Marvel comics or if DC went bankrupt and Time Warner sold it to Marvel it would be because the respective buyers would like to capitalize on the acquisition to make money not to put similar superheroes into their library shelf, just to occasionally resurrect them for a story line or to eliminate the competition.
So I would see an increase in writers, artist, editors, and storytellers.
I would also see an increase in the number of monthly publications
You could also see a drop in the cost of monthly publications, mostly because of access to the internet.

JestersJoker
Besides there is more than the city Metropolis.
There is Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Detroit, etc.
I am sure Sentry would be happy to reside in any of these cities.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by JestersJoker
I respectfully disagree,

If Time Warner acquired Marvel comics or if DC went bankrupt and Time Warner sold it to Marvel it would be because the respective buyers would like to capitalize on the acquisition to make money not to put similar superheroes into their library shelf, just to occasionally resurrect them for a story line or to eliminate the competition.
So I would see an increase in writers, artist, editors, and storytellers.
I would also see an increase in the number of monthly publications
You could also see a drop in the cost of monthly publications, mostly because of access to the internet. Originally posted by JestersJoker
Besides there is more than the city Metropolis.
There is Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Detroit, etc.
I am sure Sentry would be happy to reside in any of these cities.

I'm sorry, but you are completely missing my point. You're looking at it from a real world, business perspective, not a perspective from within the comic universe.

IE: Demons, gods, angels, etc, who usually have the same title and name between the two universes, but a completely different history and back story can't possibly coexist. One of them would have to go.

Edit: my point, not the point.

Jimmy Buggs
I was thinking this would be an awesome idea. but has it been done before.

A marvel/dc cross over, but pretty much all it is , is green lantern corp recruit a marvel universe hero to be a gl. make it like a mini series.

brainchild81
If Marvel is running the show, we get some cool stories out of it. If DC runs it, we get an endless Supes & Batman wankfest.

JestersJoker

JestersJoker

JestersJoker
Marvel/DC Monopoly

It never ceases to amaze/depress me, when people think that Marvel and DC are the only companies publishing comics.

It is said that between Marvel and DC that they control about 85% of sales, if they merged it would be a virtual monopoly. But if you consider that we are talking about DIRECT MARKET SALES it becomes a small percentage of the total comic sales in North America when you include manga and bookstore sales in that equation.

I do not think a Marvel/DC merger would create a monopoly in the comic book industry.

There is such a variety of companies in Comics/Manga that the government should allow such a merger to happen since it would not be a monopoly. That is if we think the government even cares. There is a lot of competition in the comics and manga industry, so I could see a Marvel/DC merger as a good thing especially in the non-Direct market. It would mean only one company for traditional superhero comics.

Comic books are a form of entertainment, meaning there's as much variety in the product as there is in the customer base, so you don't have to go to DC or Marvel for comics unless you want something with Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, or whoever else they own.

What is keeping the traditional superhero companies alive is Merchandising and other revenue. Marvel's Publishing division only sells $80 million. I think the future for superhero comics is Merchandising, Movies and other revenue.

I just can not understand why a Marvel/DC merger would in any way bring a feeling of absolute terror.

Bouboumaster
Batman and Nightwing would be Awesome in Marvel. Deathstroke too. And a bunch of the Bat-Villain Gallery.

JestersJoker

fredstawill
it would stop any of the characters being special yeh it would be intersesting but after a while it would be shit cus all the egos and amazing things about the characters would go to waste although i wouldd love to see the odd crossovers

JestersJoker
I just do not feel the way you do.
I just do not feel that a merger would destroy the story line.
The never-ending story would continue, just in a different direction.

Scythe
Darkclaw was good, but rather lame imo.

JestersJoker

CaptainStoic
I honestly think that it would be a great idea if these two companies merged, and economically this may happen if some distant future, because a faltering economy usually means that one megacorp swallows the other.

On the other hand I would just love to see characters like Thor and Wonder Woman working together to take on threats greater than themselves. Black Panther switching over and joining the Justice League, and Batman fighting crime in Hell's Kitchen. Lots of great stories would come out of a merge between these two, and when you throw in Wildstorm, things just get better.... Zealot vs Gamora???

Well thats my take on why it would be a good idea.

JestersJoker
Comics aren't an industry in the way most antitrust laws define such.
"Periodicals" are the industry that contains comics. Just like there was no
antitrust remedy to Diamond taking over comic distribution, there wouldn't be
a case to block Time Warner owning Marvel and DC.
Similarly, Hasbro now owns Hot Wheels and Matchbox, which together make
a significant chunk of the 1:72 scale toy car market. But "toy cars" aren't
an industry, they're part of the overall toy industry.

Dave Van Domelen, fixing the subject line

JestersJoker

JaydonPhoenix
I'm surprised anyone voted other than "Hell No"...but then again this is an internet forum...doh!

JestersJoker
Time Warner's Jeff Bewkes' $9.25 Billion Dilemma

I heard a rumor that Time Warner might use
Some that money to acquire Marvel Entertainment
Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
I hope it is true.
The merger stories would be great, awesome
And as far as competition, well I believe really good artist and writers will trump competition. I believe this is what attracts new readers and fans
Besides you will always have your die had fans.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.