Blue ray/ HD Dvd

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cal31
How fast do you think the new Blue ray/ Hd dvds will catch on? They're slated to ship late next year and they are supposed to be able to hold around 5 times as much information as the regular dvds. In other words, all of the 4 discs on the FOTR Extended version could fit onto one blue ray dvd. The only problem I would see would being the same problem with switching from one format to another, playing the regular dvds on the new dvd players.

Dr. Strangelove
Theres two problems that I see with the HD DVD format

1. From what ive read their a couple of different products for HD DVD which could totally mess up the format for many years.

2. Its going to take many years for people to give up DVD's for HD DVD's. There was a huge difference between VHS to DVD in that DVD's were superior to VHS in every way. The public accepted DVD's from the start, and I really dont see that with HD as although the picture, sound and more extras will be better, I think the public arent going to want to replace their regular DVD for many years when the changes wont be as big.

cal31
I agree, I mean with how expensive dvd's are already, I can't imagine how much HD dvds will cost. People would spend half they're salary just trying to re buy all the dvds they already have and it will take forever to re release everything again on the new format.

Dr. Strangelove
I have a pretty big DVD collection and plain and simple im not going to replace all of them with HD DVD's if I get a HD DVD player and TV, I would only buy new movies and my favorite movies with HD DVD's.

SlipknoT
It'll at least be 20 years before DVD's are replaced

cal31
I think it'll be sooner than that, but yes quite awhile till they are done.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.