race and music

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Revan
I was just reading through some posts in here, and couldn't help but notice how much of a separation people make between "white music" and "black music". Sure, hip hop is largely dominated by black people, and rock is largely dominated by white people... But there are both good white rappers (Brother Ali, Vinnie Paz) and good black rock musicians (Jimi Hendrix, Tom Morello, Slash from GNR... well he's half black). So what the hell is the big problem?

finti
who said it was a problem?

Darth Revan
It's not a problem, just that people make a big deal out of it when they see a white rapper, or a black rapper performing with a bunch of rock bands confused

Df02
you missed out the most obvious 1.....Elvis lol

finti
hmm so a Inuit reggae artist would raise some eyebrows then

Darth Revan
oh, right... oops embarrasment

finti> yeah, that's the idea... black rappers can strut around talking about their hos and grabbing their balls all they want, but when a white guy does it, he's a "wigger". Not that I would want to do that, but I hope you get what I'm saying.

finti
I get you allright, I dont know why. I guess that certain musical genres are considered to be their white/black stuff

loserib
i dont think its a big issue in metal music at least not as much as hip-hop i can name all kinds of highly respected metal bands with black members
sevendust
(hed) p.e
god forbid
sepultera

are just to name a few

Fearnix
punk is the same people think its white music but its not

finti
no music is whithe/black or anything, its a universial media

moshtitan
Killswitch Engage

Darth Revan
Yeah, I agree, but at least here in the states most people seem to think otherwise confused

Df02
Howard sucks lol, Jesse was soo much better

and i can hear the "because he's white..?" remarks already lol, but no its not cos hes white, Jesse Leach is one of the best Metal vocalists around

isnt Rock (and roll) originally a black music neway?

Alpha Centauri
The reason why race barriers are still so prominent is because everyone is to quick to claim a genre of music per race. Music is music and anyone can enjoy it.

-AC

Darth Revan
Yes it is, it comes from blues.

ElectricBugaloo
That's simplifying it a little bit. It came from blues, country and jazz music.

Darth Revan
Well yeah, but blues is an important part of it... and jazz also was thought up mostly by black people

finti
and it is so goddam stupid.
Lenny Kravitz rocks man, doesnt matter what his skin color is he is plain rock and roll. Time to grow up people music is there to enjoy regardless race, probably the only interacial media there is and I dont care what race you are if you make great music thats all that counts

Victor Von Doom
It's for two reasons: one, people like to compartmentalise and label, two, people are dumb.

PRO-PAIN
What about Bad Brains?

Red Superfly
The problem comes when you have white guys singing "black music".

Like a song that sings about "niggas, pimps and in da hood", imagine a white guy singing along to a tune like that - he'd get gang banged by a bunch of offended black guys.

White people don't feel it necessary to claim music like that - whereas if a white person gets big in say the rap industry, it's big news, people feel the need to examine them or criticise them more.

If a black person gets involved in something mainly white orientated, such as the rock genre, nothing happens. They are just accepted. Somehow I get the impression there's a lot of unreciprocated racism, for no good reason for there to be any other than what our ancestors did to each other.

Backward, backward world.

m!$hA
i dont see no problem. all i can say is that black guys ae hot droolio

Red Superfly
Random? Yes. Inappropriate? Yes.

Df02
has to be said that 'inverted' racism (to use a phrase i read in a paper) is probably more widespread now than racism.

sposedly, 'inverted racism' means black on white racism....how thats any different from the other way round i dont know, but sposedly thats what it means

sorry if any1 takes offence or nething by this, is slightly offtopic but still quite closely related to what he said...rather than take the thread off course, if theres a problem with this pm me lol

BloomBabyGirl
the only reason there is ever a "problem" is that hip hop has always traditionally been a black environment where white pple couldne be in control...and in "white music" generally black people didnt sing or take part in it. so if a white person sings rap course he gon be called a wigga cuz hes in a way intruding into the black music therefore hes a Wigga...a wannabee Nigga

Darth Revan
That's not true at all. There have ALWAYS been white guys doing black music and black guys doing white music.

Elvis Presley was the first white person to introduce blues to mainstream white America.
Slash from Guns 'n' Roses is half black.
Jimi Hendrix, the greatest guitarist who ever lived was black.
Brother Ali, one of the best rappers out there right now happens to be white.
Vinnie Paz from Jedi Mind Tricks is white.
Tom Morello from RATM is black.

I don't see why white people can't take part in "black" music. White people listen to blues and hip hop, why can't they play it if they're talented?

BloomBabyGirl
i didtn say they couldnt dammit im said they havnt always. and of course elvis was teh first to introduce blues to WHITE america. not beacause he was the best but cuz he was WHITE. plus the teachers at smith college were telling us (iono if its tru)how elvis's music was written by african americans so its not like it was his

Darth Revan
Some of it was his, some of it was written by other people. And what I just said, I would think, is enough to show that as far as modern music goes, white people have always played black music and vice versa. The guitar is a white invention, but black guys used it to play blues. And obviously Elvis was the first because he was white... People were racist back then, learn to deal with it. Anyways, hip hop doesn't exist for people of a certain race. It's music, like anything else, and anybody who wants to can listen to it and play it. Saying that a certain genre is "off limits" to people of a certain race is just retarded and only makes racism worse. roll eyes (sarcastic)

White people who play "black" music aren't trying to be black, they just like the way it sounds.

BloomBabyGirl
i dont think ur getting hwat im saying tho. im jsu saying hip hop started out with black people for black poeple. and now it has evolved to being against white people. not that white poeple arent in it. they just looked down upon in hiphop/R&B

Darth Revan
No, I understand what you're saying, what I don't understand is why people insist that hip hop be a "black" genre when there are white guys out there who are equally as good, in some cases better than the average mainstream "gangsta" rapper.

furryman
never seen much of a problem on here.

wiggers are funny stick out tongue except when the townies get violent no expression

Alpha Centauri
Bottom line is, if you have integrity, talent and can make incredible music that I enjoy listening to, you're alright by me.

I couldn't care less if they're black, white, asian or martian. If they're making a positive contribution to the world through music it shouldn't matter what colour their skin is.

Then again humans, as Vic said, are dumb. If we were all Red then people would find another reason to pick people out, like height or something. It's always gonna happen, you just gotta look at the bigger picture.

Rage Against The Machine consisted of two white guys, a man of Mexican descent and a man of Kenyan descent. If race is your problem then you can pick that band to pieces.

They're also one of the best bands to ever exist on this planet. So I think that overrides the race card.

-AC

BloomBabyGirl
i think pple insist its :blac: cuz thas wher it started

Darth Revan
I agree completely yes

BloomBabyGirl
yay eek! . of course its now cuz eminem is in there no

Darth Revan
Yeah, but blues was also invented by black guys, and it later evolved into rock, which is considered by most people to be a "white" genre... Music should never be associated with race, even if it was started by people of a certain race.

Darth Revan
I was talking to AC embarrasment

PrefectRonnykin
....jimi........ hendrix..........

raver its racism yes open your minds children

people think im racist cuz i dont like hip hop confused

Victor Von Doom
'The guitar is a white invention'

Surely it was just...an invention.

Darth Revan
I mean that it was invented by white people... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Victor Von Doom
Like a toaster.

Darth Revan
I know. You took my post out of context. What I was saying is that people of every race contribute to music of every genre. Which is why saying one genre or another is "for black people" is retarded.

Victor Von Doom
I don't think you put it into context very well originally, it's clear now however.

finti
very well said

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.