Free press - do we have it today?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

nemo
what do you think?

finti
very much so, and they are so hungry that the privacy of at least celebrities are close to zero. They are governmental and political watchdogs

WindDancer
Absolutely YES! With all the new Communications we have this day and age the Press get's to go anywhere!

yerssot
I know we don't have it here, some just don't want to accept it

WindDancer
Freedom of the Press is very important in any society.

yerssot
or the idea that they are

WindDancer
Hmmm.....hadn't thougth it that way. confused

Exabyte
yes

I don't think our press is free... absolutely not.

Most newspapers or TV channels etc only write/show what they're supposed to show... because it's what the people want to see erm
If they dont have what the majority of people want, they die.

Whatever they say, most newspapers also aren't politically independant
Especially the reports about for example war are always very critical and usually absolutely don't show the truth

Best example was the war in gulf no expression
But it was the same for Iraq... and everywhere else
They showed what the people wanted to see - and what the government wanted to show.
The US TV audience only got to see positive things about the glorious battles of their courageous and good soldiers who rescued the poor population there from the "eeevil" leaders... no killed children... no dirty unorganized slaughter... no destroyed schools and hospitals... because the government doesn't allow that

Press isn't free... at all no expression

lil bitchiness
thumb up

There is no such thing as free press. Thats like saying there is no cencorship on TV, which is utter bull.

Dexx
deppends. usually, yes. press is too powerful of a power to be kept COMPLETELY under control. (though the desire to do so is there, for any government)
but i believe some cases can be carefully masked and covered from the public eye, yeah

ragesRemorse
Isnt free press what makes this country so great? I mean, the fact that we can always reach out to the meadia and voice our opinions or complaints about somthing? Yes. the media is free of friggin course, does it go to far, does minimize important facts, does it glorify celeberties as kings and queens of our country? YES We still have free media, but it is the Freedom of speech that is being taken away from us more secretly than you would like to believe. Our first Admendmant is going out the window and were paying for it.

yerssot
can the press of your country write about EVERYTHING?
writing against the freedom of your country? against the dollar? against the president? against diplomats? against kings/presidents of other countries (that aren't on the axes of evil) etc?

and I don't mean a letter an angry person wrote but a real journalist, and not a "PS: Bush sucks" line in his article

ragesRemorse
what?

yerssot
if your press could do that or not

ragesRemorse
Yes

yerssot
and can you give examples of that?

ragesRemorse
Micheal savage. The enemy within . Is just one of many books that speaks on the depleating freedoms in America. Mike savage is a hosted radio jockey that speaks this freely on radio stations across the country. Do you want anymore conspiracy breaking proofs? check it out. It is a great read. He has his own website aswell, i dont have it off hand but search it out on a search engine. The freedom is there, the people are just to scared or jaded to speak it.

yerssot
I thought a few anti-bush books were not allowed?

ragesRemorse
uuuu... I think that is why i pointed out the option for you to search his website. SAvage is by no means anti bush. He is an independant. He has made it known that he is anti kerry, and that kerry is nothing but trouble, and when faced with the deceision to vote for eigther kerry or bush, he would defaintly go Bush. The book, The enemy within, is an overview on how America's country is being torn apart, by ourselves, It is us who are taking our freedoms from this country, and that certain polotics use means to impression people to make certian decesions. Check it out man, i'm tellin you. you dont know what you'r talking about. The freedom is there, For now, but not much longer. savage talks about it all, as does dennis miller, and many local consevative radio stations, but i guess you would have to go off of F.M to find some real talk outside of your music. Want more examples. ? Fred honzberger speaks his beliefs all the time, that this country is goin down the shitter because our rights are being taken away right in front of us. anti bush? please. i'm for bush. check out the paul revere society

nemo
but think about it, is the press really free?
i'm talking about the journalist being free to write their view without any outside influence.
newspapers are divided into left and right, they have policies that support some group instead of other, their editors therefor allow only articles that support that group.
and then in the white house it seems like they are doing everything to spin the news to their advantage.
just ask yourself, why do we never heard any hard question asked of bush?
one time a guy ask a question that hurt them in the command centre during the war, and he got barred from it.
we have to see micheal moore's movie (which is crap by the way ) to find out that bush took 7 minutes to absorb the news about the 911.

finti - the press as a political watchdog?
i don't think they are doing their job very well,
take the prisoners abused scadal for example, it took a reallyyyyyyyyyy long time to get that one out,
and they never took any politician to task.

Papaumau
You can't just say anything !

And neither can the media as even without an official right to "free speech" - as in America - self-discipline must be used too.

Most Western cultures have slander laws and laws designed to ensure people do not tell lies about other people. Try it in public and you will quickly find yourself in court !

There is a difference in "free-speech" as we see it in the free West and the free speech that we see - or lack of it - in countries ruled by dictators or extreme regimes.

The free-speech that we have and take for granted in the West would be grabbed and nurtured by the peoples that have NONE !

Having said all this, I often think that the likes of the BBC and the CNN and a few others are the Pravda's of the West who are pressurised quietly from above to be the mouthpieces of the governments in power at that moment in time.

"Freedom of the press" even in The West is a quality that is very difficult too qualify and quantify I am afraid !

Dexx
the great genious of Joseph Heller (author of catch 22 and closing time), if you've heard of him (i just like him a lot since those books are absolutely hilarious. best laughs i've had since seinfeld smile )....has a great idea in one of his books, sounding kind of like this

The right to information obliges any governmental institution to provide a citisen with any information that he desires, except the information that the governmental institution possesses and does not wish to provide.

his words sounded way funnier. in any case....i think it applies to our problem here. every government acts in that way.....especially the american one. so before we praise the american freedom of speech, consider that.

ragesRemorse
You can say what ever you want in press, the reason journalists dont is because freedom of speech isnt always what pays the bills. I'm telling you people The freedom is their no matter what kind of conspiracies you want to come up with to try and fulll yourselves that freedom of sppech isnt still free. Yeah there is censorship which is destroying these freedoms, but this is why we have to speak up against them before it 's to late. There are many ways we can do this. But the best way is to write .

WindDancer
Yes, the press does have power in the USA. After all the whole Watergate controversy was exposed by two journalist. Heck, they even caused a US president to resign. So I guess the press does have the freedom and the power to get anyone's dirty little secrets out there to the public.

yerssot
I never said the press in the USA has no power at all
of course they have some power to make people believe they are free

I doubt that in ANY country the press is totally free to write about ANYTHING they want

WindDancer
Umm...I didn't mean to make my comment sound like you were denying the power of the press. I was just pointing out that the press can get anywhere....including the white house.

lil bitchiness
At the end of the day, you are told what the government whats you to know...

WindDancer
The Goverment will always try to tell citizens what to do and what to believe. The best way to fight govenment control is through information, and the Press. And these days information is everywhere (internet). Government may impose laws on me, but it will never impose laws on my right to be inform..........or maybe that's what they want us to believe! eek!

shaber
In the UK? Not really. Media channels are heavily censored and some controlled by the government. Most newspapers are bought off by someone or other.

ragesRemorse
It isnt making people believe they are free, it is utilizing the strongest source of freedom we the people still have. Your voice and opinions can still be voiced no matter what that may consist of. As long as you present your self in a reasonable way.

Yeah these freedoms are fleeting and faultering. Not to mention being taken away. these truths and opinions that go against the goverment in power and the people of the country are voiced. Through mediums of radio, film,T.v, magazine, and internet. Many of this is not viewed on the front pages of newspaper's for one simple reason. It is not of major concern to the American people, because it still only remains percieved as speculation, and conspiracy theories. It is to many mumbo jumbo that has been the brunt of America conversation for many many years now. There is still abundant freedom here, and still freedom to have your opinions and concerns voiced. It is all about how you choose to utilize your freedoms.

Many people will hear about our freedoms being taken away. This will inspire thought to people, but unfortunately that is where it ends, as a thought. People believe what is sold through t.v and newspare ad's Much of which is twisted and lied about. If people would bother to do their research on polotics or anything, then they would find the truth, and opinions of both sides. americans hear so much about how we have no freedom of speech anymore. I hear it all the time in newspaper, t.v and radio. When americans hear this, they consider everything that is wrong with the country and believe it. If you would do research, you would see that is crap. The truth and freedom is their, however it isnt heard that much for one simple reason, it doesnt sell or make the front page. If it did then the media would run it to death, this isnt saying it can still be voiced though.

Evy_O
I don't think there is a completely free press or that it will ever be one, simply because there will always be some kind of influence or some 'forbidden' things to write

Umberto Eco (sp?) has written a great novice about the myth of objectivity big grin

yerssot
that's the right name happy

Papaumau
It's all about the definition of what is "free" I suppose !

What some will see as free others will see as defamation or slander or prejudice.

If the press want to speak about the secrets in our government they can be slapped down and silenced by something called a "D" notice. ( In Britain....although I am sure that the American government have just such a tool as well ).

As has already been said, certain parts of the media are nothing more that mouthpieces FOR the government of the day even although our BBC has never gone to the same lengths of propaganda as the Russian Pravda used to or as Al Jazeera TV does today.

I suppose, with all that in mind we must think that our press and media are far more free than any TV channels or Newspapers are in the likes of the South American states or in the fundamentalist Muslim states.

I suppose that this idea only has value as long as it is interpreted in comparison with other countries and with their ways of working.

I would say - on balance - that YES, our press is comparatively free !

ragesRemorse
Of course it would be alot harder for a journalist to speak out against the goverment, but is still very possible. The book stores are filled with examples of this. anything is possible to be expressed thruogh the medium of press. The secrets of the goverment are spoken about often, but they stay speculations because no one is going to admit to somthing that soils their image. This doesnt mean it isnt spoken about. Many people believe the american goverment has some kind of invisible hand that monitors everything that is presented through entertainment and press. However, the constitution prohibits this. No matter how much you want to believe that the constituion has no bearing in this country, it very well does especially in the sense of freedom of speech. Of course the goverment works around this and controlls our freedoms with programs like the F.C.C's, and other bills that make the legal system more of a regulated system rather than a trial.

The freedoms are still there though.you may have to fight for them, but they are still available no matter what your content may be. Hollywood and entertainment has more influence and inspiration on people than the goverment and polotics. This is known and is used by the goverment, because it is still one of the last places that freedom of speech lays. Of course this freedom is trying to be more and more controlled and taken away, and it is being so sucessfully, using the peoples own money. the constitution is always being re written and changed, infact Kerry says that the constitution needs to be updated. This is scary. there are always bills being passed to limit freedoms in America, but our freedom of speech is still free and has endless possibilities.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.