Destiny

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wuteva
Do you guys believe in destiny? Do you think it is posible that our future is somehow already planned?
A few months ago I went to an old friend who is very experienced in reading tarot cards. I made fun of it at first, but she told me stuff about my future (quite a lot of times, which actually came true), and I was like blink
This is REALLY freaky!

Papaumau
That's funny....

I was just talking about tarot in my Astrology thread !

I think that what you are talking about here is "FATE"

If we are fated to only follow a predestined path then why do we bother to get stressed-out with exams and selection-boards and trying to impress our employers ?

The thing about fate, ( if you believe in fate that is ), is that it doesn't matter what you do; if you are fated to finish up living in a cardboard box under a bridge then that is what will happen.

I think that very few of us must believe in fate or destiny as most of us try like bears to be successful in life and would be disappointed in ourselves if we failed our peers and our parents and our closest friends.

We are too driven to care what people think of us to give ourselves up to destiny.

Well...that's what I think anyway....so there !

ssj4goku
sorry i dont believe in destiny i believe soly in faith and gods will

Papaumau
This old chestnut again....."I believe in faith and God's will" !

If what happens to you is "God's will" then you are destined to be your God's puppet and nothing you do will change that.

That's fate !

Actually... I believe that they say in The Bible that God gave humanity FREE WILL and - if you believe that - that means that we make our own mistakes and what happens to us is in our own hands and nobody else's.

If you believe THAT then you must believe that we make our own destiny and that your God is simply a voyeur.

Cowboyography
"There is no fate but what we make"

Sarah Conner

Darth Revan
I agree with this Sarah Conner... I've never liked the idea that I'm not in control of my own life.

ragesRemorse
I believe in destiny to a point. I believe there are set fates in our lives, but we control which fate we obtain by the choices we make in our lives.

wuteva
Ok, i agree; but i still dont understand how some people can predict what will happen in your life months later.
Anyway, think of the people who are born disabled, handicaped, or the ones that die at birth. Do you think that is their choise?

Darth Revan
Hmm, ever stopped to think that maybe it's coincidence that these people "predict" something that then actually happens?

No, it's not their choice to be handicapped or whatever... Doesn't mean it's destiny though. It's not the wrath of the gods causing it to happen. It just sucks ass.

wuteva
ok... whatever....

Emma718
i believe in destiny, but we have to make our destiny come true!

ragesRemorse
No, but then again thats you showing pity on the handicaped. Handicaped people can still live long fruitfull lives through their choices. There choices of life which might inspire another person to make a choice. Let me give you an example of what i mean. A woman born with no arms or legs, (True story mind you) Lives an every day fruitfull life, yes her day is much more complicated and frustrating than ours, but thorugh will power and choice she struggles through the day to do her daily needs such as make her bed, feed her animals, and make her breakfest. Yes she has assistance from an aid, but the majority of the work she does on her own with her nubs, and prostetics. She competes in special olympics every year, and gives back to the community as much as possible, in volunteer work, and speaking out about her disease.

Now would you say that choice had no effect on this womans destiny? Whereas the other person born with the same disease refuses to live, spites God and lives in an institution for the rest of there lives. Yes Choice is always apparant even if your to scared to take it because you believe, everything just happens with a spin of the wheel and if you lose, then you get the shit end of the stick.Choice is your's thats our freedom concsious decesion making leads us to our destiny's, where ever they may lead, thats the unknown and i'm going for, but thats where my dreams lay so i will struggle to obtain them.no matter what happens. Unless fate has other plans, but i dont know because that is still the unknown

Papaumau
Sorry Emma...

But that is an oxymoron.

If a thing is destined to happen you cannot change it by your efforts !

hobbit_dude
same here

Exabyte
In this case I have to agree with her...
I absolutely don't believe in fate. The idea itself is imo kinda strange... why should somebody take the efforts to plan your life for you? blink
And if fate existed, life definitely wouldn't be worth living erm

I also don't think our life is the product of pure coincidence though; it's rather predictable because of what we are, our character as individuals and also as a society, that makes it possible to see things coming - for those knowledgeable enough.
All our choices and decisions are in some way biassed and hardly ever "free", but that doesn't make a Fate - nobody imprisons us in our lives to do what we're supposed to do; we do that ourselves, by being bound to what always was... our hope can only be to find out why and what for we do what we do - causality and finality.

Maybe there is somebody who already knows what we're going to choose each time we have to decide simply because he knows us better than we do; but I doubt that we will find our future in playing cards blink if so, our existence would be kinda sad no expression

That'd be kinda silly as then we would have neither a personality nor a reason to live blink

It's maybe not always our own choice what happens to us, but it all has its reason in somebody's choice who chose without being fully aware of the consequences of his choice.

ragesRemorse
Choices are always free. if you cant understand this you cant understand life. This is what we are. humans are freedom of choice. this is what seperates us from everything else in the world.

Exabyte
No, I don't understand life. It's kinda hard to do so no expression I can only try to understand the reasons

Depends on your definition of "free".
Sure, theoretically, we could always choose what we want; but doesn't reality show us that this doesn't work?
We are always bound to some direction by things like morals, laws, prejudices, false knowledge et cetera;
If we had the possibility to really always choose freely, the human race would already have killed its own existence

I think it's impossible to decide about something without being biassed and influenced by others. We may tell ourselves that we can, but in my opinion that would be lying, denying our limits.

Darth Revan
When did I ever say handicapped people can't live full lives? When did I even imply that?

Alpha Centauri
To add to what rage said:

Fate exists in the sense that some of the choices or actions already passed will affect the way certain things happen in the future. Like if you get great grades in university, chances are that it's a certainty you'll get a really good job. That's because through one action you've cemented the coming about of something that will happen in the future.

-AC

Papaumau
Exabyte......

I said that if you believe in fate and you are fated to finish up living in a cardboard box under a bridge then there is no point in trying to usurp what fate has in store for you !

This means that if you believe in fate then you are a lost to your own fatalistic destiny.

This an argument AGAINST the existence of fate not a support of it !

There is one way that you can beat fate, ( if you believe in fate - which I don't ), and that is the parallel universe theory where by taking a sidestep in the space-time-continuum you can move over to become ANOTHER version of you that has a different fateline altogether from you in this timeline.

How you get into another timeline is another story !

But Hey... as I don't believe in fate the argument for me is moot !

ragesRemorse
Do you really think that is true? I think you lack faith in your fellow man. People are genrally good and want the same things as you and i. That is happiness, enlightenment, and a comfortable living, as working to live aposed to living to work. Sure we get tied down and are sometimes forced into certain decisions, but then again are we truly forced? no. The mother or father who works two jobs and is barley making ends meet to support their two kids whom aee still in high school , is a powerfull example of freedom of choice. these people strive on day to day not because they necessarily have to, sure they could say screw it and go on welfare and live like all the other low lives that hard working people pay for, the same same low lives who live their entire lives on welfare and abuse the shit out of freedom of choice and sit on their ass, buy expensive clothes and groceris and still find shit to complain about the goverment and this country. No that mother or father struggles on so they can say they never had to rely on anyone else to reap what they have sewed, sure hard ache will follow this family for a long time , but as long as they continue on living this way, choosing to live as free as they can, fate will pay off one way or another, that is a gaurentee. What goes around comes around, hardache comes to vists,but doesnt last forever every choice you make is indeed a freedom, even if you want to spit all over it and convice yourself otherwise. heres a quote from jewel "poverty took away you'r golden shoe's, but diddnt steal your laughter" their is always a bright side, and always a choice.

Alpha Centauri
"People are genrally good and want the same things as you and i. That is happiness, enlightenment, and a comfortable living"

People will do anything to get those things though, for the most part. So the fact that they want them doesn't mean they're good.

-AC

Papaumau
If you have choices there is no fate !

If fate rules then you have no choices !

Look at life as the branch of a tree lying before you, where, as you walk along the thick branch you come to branches leading off in many directions. Each choice you make about which branch to walk along is a choice which was made to not walk along a different one.

If you believe in the multiple-dimension theory then maybe you DID choose to take that other path as another version of you and if you did then the destiny for each of those versions of you is a different one to your own.

That way each of the you's will have a different fate at the end of of the journey.

Then again...if you are stubborn about the idea of fate, you could say that every one of the you's is fated to take that different path by destiny.

If fate is in charge you cannot beat it no-matter what you do or what choices you make !

WindDancer
Destiny is what you make of it!...(yeah, I got that line from Fable)

I believe everyone has a destiny. What that might be will be known once we reach the peak of our lives. Our choices may influence our destiny, but not all choices are the right choices for us. Which is kinda hard to describe since we make different choices in our lives. But then again we all have our own destiny. Hmmm....I think Choice and Destiny go together on this one.

Clovie
i can sometimes predict future...
i have a dream and later it is happening. confused ... so... i believe in destiny yes

Papaumau
WindDancer said....

Right on the button WindDancer....Your choices - whatever your choices are - if you believe in fate, are all influenced by destiny !

You are destined to make those choices !

ERGO....you don't have any choices, they are made FOR you by destiny !

wuteva
exactly! the choises that you make are supposed to happen.
If being able to predict the future is real, then it means that time doesn't exist. I mean, how can 'the future' be certain, if it hasn't happened yet?

Fiery Eyes
I feel that the use of tarot cards, sorcery, physics 900 lines is all the work of Satan, yes i believe it is true, it happened in the bible, it can happen now.

WindDancer
^Let's keep things like Satan and sorcery out of this one. Is going to get derailed just like in other threads.

hehe....Yeah, I'm a big believer of choices. I think that we sometimes makes choices based on our knowledge. Not all our choices are beneficial for our sake. There are times in which we are force to make a choice. And that could also affect our Destiny.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.