WWE a sport?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
Do you guys actually think that WWE is a sport or do you think the subject just fits closer here than it does in the TV forum. Just curious.

alic88
although i certainly dont consider it a sport, but i would prefer it 2 b in the sports forum. i duno y

Twin B!tch 1
its Sports Entertainment. It could be in the TV forum but i think its better here big grin

SlipknoT
It fits best here

DeNiro
Hell no WWE isnt a sport. But it is supposed to be so it is fine here. But the WWE is just a soap opera were people get hit with chairs

total nettlehead
and wear tight, tight lycra yes

SAtown_punk
at least it's entertaining for the most part. And there was a time when wrestling actually meant something. But those days are gone. However, it does fit better here than in TV because there is still some sort of physical aspect to it.

forumcrew
i think its very athletic but its not competitve so its not really a sport.. a decided outcome and choreography rule it out

SAtown_punk
It is a sport, but only because it requires that you be physically fit to an extent. It's very athletic, and I think it is a sport...it's not a sport like basketball, soccer, and tennis is, but it's still a sport.

SlipknoT
But some of the wrestlers on wwe are not physically fit

Myth
I think of a sport as a physical competition. When somebody goes jogging, we don't call it a sport. But if its a competition, then it is a sport. When the winner is planned out, its not a competition.

SAtown_punk
that's true.

Random_Hero777
Some football players arent physically fit either

eleveninches
After all, archery and pistol shooting are classed as sports, and they were even petitioning for chess to be included in the olympics, so wrestling does require the performers to be physically fit. However, it is more of a performing art and entertainment, as the only real differences are that lots of the moves are faked, and the winners of the matches are pre determined.

Now UFC, that's a REAL sport (PRIDE is not bad either)

Random_Hero777
No, WWE is not a sport, it's a company. But pro wrestling is a sport. Just because the winners are pre decided dosen't mean it's not. They go out there and give it their all. If golf, bowling and POKER can be called a sport, then so can wrestling

eleveninches
The reason it is not a proper sport is not to do with the physical activity required, but the fact that the winners are predetermined. If pro wrestling is a sport, then are film fights classed as a sport???

Random_Hero777
You can't even begin to compare wrestling to movies. It's not like at some point Triple H decides a move is to risky and brings in a stunt double. Sure it's not a proper sport, but it's still a sport

By the way, UFC is PRIDE

LeAtHerRFace
hell yea its a sport.

Myth
What about Jackie Chan? He does fight scenes without a stunt double. Pro-wrestlers are actors/entertainers that are usually physically fit and pretend to fight each other. Jackie Chan (among others) is an actor/entertainer that is physically fit and pretends to fight.

Random Hero- Golf and bowling are competitions that require physical movements but I'll agree that poker should not be a sport.

Random_Hero777
And wrestling dosent involve physical movement? It's probably the most physical out of anything

Myth
I didn't say that. I said a sport needs both physical movement AND competition. WWE is not a competition but I never said it doesn't have physical movement.

Random_Hero777
Sport
A game or other form of pastime involving some amount of bodily exercise and carried on either in the open air or indoors.
Any activity providing entertainment or receation.

Not all sports require competition.

Random_Hero777
Hunting, fishing, mountain climbing. All of them are sports but don't require you to compeate agasint somebody else. Some sports are just meant to be fun, and wrestling is just that

SAtown_punk
I think Random Hero has got it right.

UFC is not a sport, it's barbaric. It's about beating your oponent senseless. True, it's a sport by the technical definition of it, but I don't consider it a sport, just as I don't consider boxing a sport.

Random_Hero777
SAtown Punk, you know what's up

eleveninches
/\ has good taste. linsey lohan is GORGEOUS.

Random_Hero777
eleveninches you also know what's up. Lindsay is just so beautiful

SAtown_punk
My god, I have to agree with the both of you. She is absolutely stunning. I like her so much more than Hillary Duff. She's more real, and she doesn't wear as much make-up. Plus, she can sctually sing. And she's hot with a guitar.

Random_Hero777
YES!!!!! SAtown punk you are the man. Lindsay Lohan is much better then duff

eleveninches
She's hot with anything. I'd love to see more of her.

Hillary gots more roles than her, but I would prefer to see Linsey

Random_Hero777
Hillary dosent have more roles, Lindsay just came out with Confessions of a teenage Drama Queen. Plus she has 3 movies lined up (Mean Girls, Drama Rama and Gossip Girls) Plus shes on SNL May 1st. And she's working on her first cd

eleveninches
i can't wait

SAtown_punk
Yeah, I saw a preview for "Mean Girls" when I went and saw "Confessions," and it looks pretty good.

Barf Heaven
Hell no it's not a sport... But it's not really a TV show, either... It's more of an ongoing, corny theatrical event... And, those guys do have to be in good shape to a) look all tough and b) avoid breaking 5 ribs every time their opponant throws them out of the ring

Barf Heaven
Yeah, but they're not seriously trying to kill each other or whatever it looks like

Everybody knows those things are staged--as in some group of CEO's and fight choreographers get together and go, "ok, well, we're gonna make this guy throw this guy onto a table and he's going to break it but then that guy is going to get up and hurl the other one headfirst down onto the floor..."

Random_Hero777
Everybody knows those things are staged--as in some group of CEO's and fight choreographers get together and go, "ok, well, we're gonna make this guy throw this guy onto a table and he's going to break it but then that guy is going to get up and hurl the other one headfirst down onto the floor..."

Oh my god! I can't belive you figured it out. Wrestling is fake. NO WAY!

The issue isn't if it's fake or not, it's weither or not it's a sport. And the whole match isnt staged, only certain parts. And just cuz it's staged also dose not mean it's not a sport. Gymnastics and figure Skating are both sports and they can spend months practicing a routine

Random_Hero777
SAtown punk, you've seen Confessions also. Right on

Myth
But in gymnastics and skating, its a competition that is voted upon by judges. The outcome is unknown, while the outcome of a WWE event is known before hand.

Random_Hero777
Yes, and we've already said a sport dosen't have to be a competition

lil_ms_nonblond
i like wrestling. men grappling with other men. lol. very entertaining.

Myth
Thats fine, but in my mind it still isn't a sport. So the judge thing is just a clear difference between gymnastics being "planned out" and WWE being planned out.

DaRk Jester
WWE is not a sport it is just a thing on tv sad

Random_Hero777
Wrestling is Sports Entertainment. Its a sport that's meant to entertain. I guess this will just be one of those things we will never really know about

Random_Hero777
But not all of wrestling is planned out

Myth
Maybe not every little move (since they whisper to each other), but the outcome of the matches are planned out.

Random_Hero777
You know, football is planned out at certain times.

Myth
Its presumed that there may be scandals behind certain sports, but WWE is no scandal, it is suppose to be planned out.

Random_Hero777
I wasn't talking about scandals

eleveninches
We could go on forever arguing about this and not get anywhere. It has been debated for decades.

Myth
What were you talking about then? The games aren't predetermined and if its done in privacy, then I would call that a scandal.

Random_Hero777
Ever hear of a huddle? Where they call plays they've been working on for months, as to wrestling where they have less then a week to prepare for a match.

Myth
That is WAY different. In many sports they have plays. In a huddle they find a play that they use to beat the opposing teams. In WWE the planned out parts are them working together. In other words, the opposing team tries to stop what the other team is planning while in WWE, the planning is to help the other guy.

eleveninches
You have to go and see pro wrestling live to understand this thread.

WWE looks WAY more fake live than it does on TV (because of the camera angles)

Myth
I don't think that really has to do with the thread that much. The people arguing for it as a sport aren't denying that its fake because they know that. They just believe the physical aspect makes it a sport which is fine by me even though I don't agree with it.

eleveninches
Its no more of a sport than acting is. When you see it live, it does not look as physically intense or demanding

Myth
That makes more sense then what you first said. I agree that it is pretty much like the acting in an action/fighting movie.

04wayne
Of course the WWE is sport. The BEST sport!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.