The Exorcist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ghetto Goblin
I have heard that this was one of the scariest movies ever. And still is. I want to know, what all happens. Just talk about it. Argue about it, what ever. How does it start and end. You know, that sort-of thing. Spoilers will be accepted only if you make sure they are only readable when highlighted.

p.s. this has nothing to do with exorcist the beggining that is already a thread.

SlipknoT
1 1/2 stars its a comedy. And its amazingly over-rated.

Indy_Knight
Not over-rated at all. Brilliant film.

SlipknoT
Peice of steaming shit, unbeliveably over rated.

Stormy Day
I have an idea eek! why dont you use the searchbar next time and try and find one of the many already "Exorcist" threads out there

Cinemaddiction
None, with a poll and ratings system. There are more threads pertaining to the prequel than anything.

I gave it 1. It's a thriller, with a 3rd act of pure shock value, which really onlt works in 1973. Nothing special about it at all, IMO.

Stormy Day
Besides the poll just take this convo in one of the billion exorcist threads in this forum erm

Ghetto Goblin
ok what ever, i don't come here ever, and i don't plan to stay here, i just wanted to know about the film, fast.

i'm out.............

ragesRemorse
Great writing, better acting, and suspensfull in an original manner. You may say it isnt orginal,but think of when it was released. There were innovative techniques displayed in this film when creating the horror of the film and the star creature. I do really believe though, that you have to believe in God and the devil for the film to execute it's intended purpose, which is the downfall of the film. I can see how it can be to many, long and pointless. This movie did alot for horror movies and does deserve the credit it gets.

Ghetto Goblin
tank you...

Evil Dead
I'm with C-dic...........

Not only am I not a fan of this movie..........it's one of the few movies I'm actually against. I despise it. I despise it mainly for the way it marketed itself to the mass media to put out a false image of the flick. People go around buying into it like, "man...that film is scary...ooooh it gives me goose bumps"........blah blah blah

The film is an over rated piece of trash. It gained notoriety not from an underground following of fans (ala Evil Dead, Romero's of the Dead films, etc.)..........nor did it gain notoriety for just being damn good and original (ala Hellraiser, A Nightmare on Elm St., etc.)........it gained notoriety for the big controversy the media created around the crucifix scene (you know the one)........the movie is complete media hype.

If you're thinking about watching the Exorcist........you'd be better off watching something like The Omen or The Amityville horror. Both are far superior..........they just didn't use cheap controversy to create media hype to market themselves.

BackFire
I've never liked this movie. I thought it was a boring movie with a few cool scenes thrown in which added to the novelty value of the film, but nothing more. Never got the big deal about it, and never found it scary in the least.

dean7879
boring?? well i suppose it is in the beginning but what did you expect????
did u expect big explosions and demons running around and murdering everyone........i dont think many people appreciate this movie.....i expected you backfire to like this movie though.....you likes texas chainsaw massacre which had the same impact has exorcist when released so i though u would respect the movie as much as u do with tcm....the exorcist was brilliant but dont expect it to be a fast paced movie with loads of action...this is the only movie that properly scared me....name another horror movie which is more shocking

MildPossession
I would liked to have seen this with Jane Fonda in the mother role, she was originally up for it but didn't want to take the part, shame.

I find it quite a bore actually, some memorable scenes, but apart from that, I would rather watch The Omen, like Evil Dead mentioned. Love The Omen.

ragesRemorse
I dont know. I know how this can be considred boring to many people. If the matieral of the movie isnt interesting to you, then of course the build up and presenting of the meat of the film will all have been for nothing and have been boring.

However i think the movie wasnt scared to take it's time to build up a relationship and knowledge of it's characters. If you dont care for these people, then the possesion isnt going to be that suspensful or frightening. I liked how the devils posession was done slowly, and showed her physical and mental changes at a slow,but steady pace. I htink it was great build up and made the scene where the demon finally arrives all that more gipping.

BackFire
No, I expected suspense, and an intersting storyline of some sort. This movie had neither.

ragesRemorse
saying it diddnt have an interesting story line is very arguable. It all goes back to again, you are eigther interested by the matieral or your not. You are right about the suspense though.Many people claim the exorcist has non stopped suspense. There is very little story based suspense that flares up in the movie sparactically. However, i believe it did have suspense through the characters.

Major Knight
over rated just like the others say, its not that scary but back then it could've been. its kinda cool though so i gave it a 3.

slayer
Creative, creatatee an atmosphere.

It was enjoyable.

Ghetto Goblin
oh, and by the way, ragesRemorse, did you take darth sauron's avatar.

ragesRemorse
No, this has been my avatar since i first registered.

dean7879
exorcist storyline is great...tell me how it could of been better

ragesRemorse
It couldnt have. I mean especially seeing how it was based on true accounts. No other horror movie has had such grand reaction as the exorcist had.

dean7879
exactly.......if people stopped to think deep in to the story and dont dismiss it straightaway by sayin it is borin then maybe it will be appreciated more

MildPossession
Oh I for one do think deeply about films I see and always give every single film a chance, I still find it a bore in most parts.

dean7879
what did u expect

Cinemaddiction
"Texas Chainsaw Massacre" possible. Thanks to "JAWS", people to this day are still afraid to go into the water, myself included.

Had the movie not been filled with a final act's religious defilements, I don't know that we'd still be talking about this movie. I still think it's overrated, and was just a great example of 70's shock cinema. "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" owns it in the areas of plausibility and sheer terror, IMO.

SlipknoT
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre pretty much owns everything.

ladygrim
to me its a big pile of crap....

SlipknoT
That was a joke right no expression

ladygrim
i was on a bout the exorcist

SlipknoT
Oh, ok phewt... I thought you ment The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But yea the Exorcist does suck.

dean7879
u say u like tcm and then u say the exorcist sucks blink

dean7879
Good story + fully developed characters + brilliant effects + aggressive approach= horror classic.
oh and i do love tcm...very shocking but i think it is overrated slightly..just slightly though
no film as eva compared to exorcist and tcm so i think it is unfair to slate one and not the other

ragesRemorse
Of course we wouldnt, but the religous defilments were apart of the movie. They werent added for mere shock value, yeah it was taking a risk putting the taboo material on film,but not shock value. These things were al apart of the demon's character. It highlighted just how evil this character was. The whole film was just a good versus evil movie. I think many of the scene's made people question what their bouderies and limits were as a religous perspective. It wasnt geared only twords people that believe and God and the Devil,and had no intentions of this audience being the mark. It question's the human spirit and will with character actions and metaphors. Of course this is just taking a deeper look, you can also say it was just a cool monster flick with neat effects and a bad ass makeup job.

dean7879
is it me or did the demon know that it would soon be possesing karas?

demon: what an excellent day for an exorcism
karras: u would liek that?
demon: intensly
karras: woudnt that drive u out of reagan
demon:it would bring us together
karras: u and regan?
demon: u and us

it gives me the creeps...i thought that good triumphed over evil but after hearing that and watching the end...it gave me chills and made me realisze that there was no winners exept the demon in the end

ragesRemorse
you know my brother and i actually had a discussion about that conversation before, and asked the same question if the Demon knew and anticipated possesing the priest. It seemed that the demon not only tried to break karras down,but ultimately make him hate himself and his faith, making him a perfect host for the demon to posess.

Have you ever seen the movie possesed? It focuses more on the details of the story that the Exorcist is based on.

dean7879
no but i have heard of it..is the film just as shocking??

ragesRemorse
Well not shocking, but good. Great writing and good acting. It keeps a good pace too. Of course the effects arent as grand as the exorcist, but are still pulled off decently and un expectedly.

dean7879
cool...i'll have to check that one out

Kalozza
My friend saw the really scary version and had nightmares for weeks!! and she is 12

keitaro~*
EXORCISTTTTTTT <333333333

sad Im scared of the devil now.... sadsadsad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.