Tom Welling To Be 'Superman'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Zero
Sorry to interupt the pre-school blah VS blah circle jerk with some movie news but ...

Tom Welling ('Smallville') talked to MTV online at Sunday's Teen Choice Awards that he's signed on for a movie but is not allowed to discuss it, fueling rumors that he will star in X-Men director Bryan Singer's new Superman movie.

"I'm sworn to secrecy," Welling said with a smile. "It's too early." A spokesperson for Warner Bros. said the role has not yet been cast. Welling, in the meantime, will continue playing Clark Kent on the small screen. "We have a couple new characters ," he said. "Lois Lane will be visiting Smallville, which keeps things interesting for Clark. ... And Clark isn't necessarily earthbound this season."

Mane
sweet.

mpatterson
iam not shall tom welling looks and his the young superman

badsymbiote
Yeah--what he said

Spawnie
I don't know where is this coming from cuz I read an article where the same guy was saying that he wasn't interested in the part.

Here's that news:
August 5, 2004: Comics2Film points out an article at Superman-V.com that claims director Bryan Singer has offered Smallville star (and fanboy fave) Tom Welling the title role in Superman Returns. The offer is reportedly a two-picture deal but, as Superman-V points out, "Welling has shown a reluctancy towards playing SuperMAN and from what we hear from our source that is still the case and it is unlikely that he will accept. With Singer and the Donners on board and rumours of Christopher Reeve being involved Welling MIGHT change his mind but we haven't heard anything to indicate that is the case." Dark Horizons recently claimed that actors Eddie Cibrian (Third Watch) and Christopher Douglas (Passions) are also in the running to play Superman. Superman Returns begins filming later this year in Australia for a 2006 release. Dan Harris & Mike Dougherty will script.

Although Pat Moran + Associates are accepting open submissions from both actors and non-actors, auditions are by appointment only. Auditions will be held the week of August 16th through August 20th.

Magee
awww crap, Tom Welling? He's so skinny!! He's good for a teen superman but for adult we need muscle, go on put foam or some other shit under his costume, it will look stupid.
Woah! Lois Lane, very cool. Cant wait for that, but im not up to date with smallville. Last time i saw it Clark was a bad wittle baby,robbing banks and shit... yay!!! Do u think he can fly now?

Mr Zero
This news broke yesterday - its by no means official but looking more likely... I for one wouldnt mind: It makes sense and toms a fine Kal El.

Mr Zero
Yeah--what he said

Mane
he only plays a teenager. hes like 27 in real life. and hes actually pretty ripped. i think hes perfect.

yeah that was when he had the Red Kryptonite ring. as opposed to weakening him, it made him rebellious. but then Kal's father gave John Kent superpowers so that he could physically take Clark down.

Magee
Yea i remember seeing that aswell, half way threw it i had to go out. Is that every episode up to that?

FrothByte
if they're seriously considering taking tom welling into a superman film, they should first put him in a gym for about a year.

ragesRemorse
If he really is going to be superman, then this movie loses all possibility of being good, even with Singers touch. I mean Superman is a MAN not a boy. anyway i heard he was casted on for a small part in the movie.

Shadow_King
i think if tom welling does it wont do great and it wont do good. it wont make more money than X-men 2 i bet.

Mane
i think Tom Welling is an awesome choice. he looks like Clark and if he bulked up a bit, he would be perfect.

Punkyhermy
Great!He is a good choice!

ragesRemorse
he is a boy. I mean i would atleast think the standard casting decesion for a Superman, would call for someone could pass off an apearance that they are in their mid to late 20's. No matter how much make up or bulking this kid goes through, he will still apear to be in his teens or someone who just turned 20. How can you really take Superman serious if he appears to be a boy?

Mane
dude, Tom Welling is 27 years old.

ragesRemorse
I know,but he looks like an underdeveloped man.

Spawnie
I know what u mean, but he looks like the best choice for now. I don't know make a suggestion, cuz Tom is really good in Smallville. The guy that plays Lex is a great actor, I hate that biotch from next door she is too perfect. What's a guy have to do to get some tongue action dammit! All the powers in the world can't help him to get laid with that nice girl. Hey don't reveal too much about smallvill cuz we're on the first season here in croatia. Can u guys tell me how many seasons of Smallville r out there? is the show over?

Paola
moving to Superman forum...

Mane
seriously???

TheFilmProphet
It seems Tom Welling will not be playing Superman after all but Jim Caviezel will play him. Just visit SuperHeroHype here http://www.superherohype.com/superman/index.php?id=1939

ragesRemorse
Other than the facial appeal i dont think Caviezel makes a very good superman. Hisacting Ability may make up forappearance, but i still think they should go with a more no name like they did with Reeves. give a fresh feel for superman. I guess that reason is why i am more for Caviezel than any other choices that were thrown out there. He isnt a very well known actor, he chooses to for more art or independant films. I think it is a good choice to go with someone who hasnt created their own on screen presence though. Just like going with welling, he seems to be a decent actor, and putting aside his appearance, which i could very easily get over,because i'm sure it could be pulled off onscreen, but he still has his own presence revolving around Smallville.

ragesRemorse
I have to say though, i would majorly hate the idea of starting the Superman story over from scrath, and re-introducing his origina and everything. I mean do we really have to sit through his character development of becomming Superman again? doesnt everyone know how superman became? I want to see Superman doing everything that the previous technology prhibited us from seeing in the previous Supe films.

TheFilmProphet
Perhaps the film can be done the same way the first Batman film was done. With Batman already being Batman.

ragesRemorse
yeah i mean as long as they dont go into wasting film on re-introducing his character.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah Superman has been a such big part of pop culture for so many years that I think everyone is pretty familiar with his origin by now.

BloomBabyGirl
they should just show like maybe 10 mins or so about like when he first came just for it

mtango103
In case anybody is wondering Tom Welling is Superman whether anyone likes it or not. Smallville is about superman and a teen growing up to be superman. If Jim C. is to play superman (not that he is a bad person) but everything smallville has worked for making out Tom Welling to be superman will be down the drain..it will dissappoint a lot of fans oh and the producers of the new superman movie will miss out on the extra $$$. You'll see. BTW Tom Welling maybe young, the reality of the fact is superman is a superman. Look what they did with that guy michael keaton in the first batman..that guy looked like a whimp!...moral of the story is nobody plays superman better than Tom Welling and Hollywood can make ANYBODY look out to be a superhero...thats their job..creating a character by making out a character to be that role. As a matter of fact I can't think of any reason why chris Reeves would come on smallville but only to endorse the show to pass the legacy of superman down to the next generation. If any one else plays superman other than Tom Welling..me and a whole bunch of my friends aren't game.

TheFilmProphet
Sorry but the actor who will play Superman has already been revealed and it is none of the actors you mentioned, it is an unkown. Visit this link for more SUPERMAN ACTOR

Goldeneye
There are 4 seasons already. I take it you're up to your second or third. You'll love those episodes man.

MornGlory
tom wellington is gay smokin'

CoolWizard
Tom Welling, a s good as he may be, is NOT Superman. He does not go by the name in the series, nor has he worn the cape. I dare say Gerard Christopher has more claim to the name Superman than Welling.

Besides, Bryan Singer has found his man and this guy, like it or not, IS the new Superman.

TheFilmProphet
I agree

supajewpa
Happy Dance i always thought tom welling would look good in superman tights. he would look better and im sorry to say than chris reeves because tom lights up the costime with his shy but serious face. i mean come on his face is super sexy!

TheFilmProphet
I'm sorry to say this but theres a reason why he playing the young Clark Kent. He simply wouldn't convince me as Superman, and he definitely would not be better than Chris either.

sexyking
No one will ever match Mr reeve or surpass him in that role he invented the very ideal of the character everyone actor the are testing is probably analysed to see if he looks remotely like Mr reeve.

steven dunetz
Let's face it! Tom Welling has held together Smallville now for nine years! He should play Superman!

xJLxKing
I hate that dude now. When he first started in Smallvile, he had the perfect role to be Superboy, NOT Superman. They need someone a little more muscular, or a little bigger.

The Pict
Originally posted by xJLxKing
I hate that dude now. When he first started in Smallvile, he had the perfect role to be Superboy, NOT Superman. They need someone a little more muscular, or a little bigger.

He's 6'3 and ripped as ****. He just hasn't worn the skintight blue costume yet, to show that off.

iceman24567
He fits the picture in my opinion.

Davis Bloome
Tom is technically already portraying Superman...whether he's in costume or not, but I would love to see him actually in a movie on the big screen.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by The Pict
He's 6'3 and ripped as ****. He just hasn't worn the skintight blue costume yet, to show that off.

No he's not ripped as fcuk. He's not even muscular. Sure he has a good body and a bit on the thick side thick (he's meaty) but he's in no way cut up.

K-Dog
He's very well built for a natural drug-free guy, and he's gotten gradually bigger over the last few years too. When he's in a tight t-shirt his upper body looks very well defined and built. We're too used to seeing roided up wreslters and comic book characters. He's just as strong as Routh, if perhaps just a bit shorter.

The Pict
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
No he's not ripped as fcuk. He's not even muscular. Sure he has a good body and a bit on the thick side thick (he's meaty) but he's in no way cut up.

Not even muscular.....facepalm

You saw him shirtless in the first season after he had come out the school shower. Obviously a shot for the teenage girls watching, but we could all see how well built he was.
Can't believe I'm posting these:

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/shirtless4ever/tomwelling.jpg

That's just season 1, if he's not got more ripped since, he's definitely got bigger.

Originally posted by K-Dog
He's very well built for a natural drug-free guy, and he's gotten gradually bigger over the last few years too. When he's in a tight t-shirt his upper body looks very well defined and built. We're too used to seeing roided up wreslters and comic book characters. He's just as strong as Routh, if perhaps just a bit shorter.

Think they are the same height.

SuperkatmanX
whats happening with routh??

Mindset
This was made in 2004.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by SuperkatmanX
whats happening with routh??

Tom Welling stole the title from him through a hidden deal. Now Routh will play the new Dr. Doom in the new F4 movie.

SuperkatmanX
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Tom Welling stole the title from him through a hidden deal. Now Routh will play the new Dr. Doom in the new F4 movie.

is this official? i thought tom welling was just gonna do justice league and routh was still doin The man of steel.

batdude123
Wow. facepalm

steverules_2
Originally posted by SuperkatmanX
is this official? i thought tom welling was just gonna do justice league and routh was still doin The man of steel.

He's joking you n00b

zeel
Originally posted by Magee
awww crap, Tom Welling? He's so skinny!! He's good for a teen superman but for adult we need muscle, go on put foam or some other shit under his costume, it will look stupid.
Woah! Lois Lane, very cool. Cant wait for that, but im not up to date with smallville. Last time i saw it Clark was a bad wittle baby,robbing banks and shit... yay!!! Do u think he can fly now?

Tom welling is 6"4 235 and is much more bulky then any other superman ever what are you talking about. And dont brink up dean cain we dont need anymore chineses supermen ggggeeeeeshhhh.

zeel
Originally posted by xJLxKing

You are insane hes the bulkiest supes to date. I gaurentee ya if he gets the part he will jump from 230 to 250, due to working out to bulk up more.

Magee
Originally posted by zeel
Tom welling is 6"4 235 and is much more bulky then any other superman ever what are you talking about. And dont brink up dean cain we dont need anymore chineses supermen ggggeeeeeshhhh. I thought you edited that quote then realized I posted it 5 years ago thanks man I got a good laugh out of my younger self's words. I've no idea what I was talking about as I agree with you, Welling has a good physical build for Superman.

roughrider
Tom Welling makes me think of Elijah Wood, after spending six months in the gym. He doesn't have it in the eyes to be Superman for real.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.