does anyone have aol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

theterminatorx
umm i was wondering if anybody have aol...i do

m!$hA
these threads have been done many MANY times! roll eyes (sarcastic)

BingaBonga
Oh well. Yeah I do, and it sucks.

manchichirtchit
AOL is the work of the devil.

theterminatorx
well i got the broadband aol...more faster than dial up

BingaBonga
No matter what, it will eventually screw your computer up.... even if it's the newest or the best. no

DirtyBlondPrepa
I have compuserve..something owned by AOL....but I still have AIM

theterminatorx
how would it screw up my computer?

BingaBonga
If you get 9.0 it just absorbs all the computers memory. It's not good. We're back to 8.0, but it's not as good as what it should be. erm

SlipknoT
I have AOL sadly

Kotaro
i have AOL platinum, and its CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i live in england with america online i mean wtf is up with me, i can't change now either for 1 year, plus online games are crap too, geez i hate AOL

Kotaro
and i'm on 9.0 so tell me why it absorbs all the computers memory, because i think i have found somthing out, if u tell me why it does it and how u know it does?????

theterminatorx
well im fine with my aol

JKozzy
No... because it sucks.

Kotaro
yeah but i live in england, so i don't think i get a fast connection like u guys do in america, but i'm on AOL platinum too and its still not good with games, its great for the internet, but online games its crap, i mean i get ping that is like 200 because of that internet, so i'm gonna change soon and get an ISP closer to home

SlipknoT
I have 9.0

Kotaro
me too 9.0 is better than 8.0, but what is this absorbing compter memory all about?

theterminatorx
my computers fine and i have 9.0 optimized broadband

JKozzy
My internet connection is about 2.5 MB/s, about 2,500 kb/s, opposed to 56k/s. I love it cool

Kotaro
what ISP are u on?

theterminatorx
my internet connection is 3mb...and is way better than dial-up

JKozzy
Comcast Broadband, $40 a month, opposed to AOL, which is something ridiculous like $54.99

Kotaro
if u have AOL how is that possible if the highest connection speed is 1mb?????? huh

theterminatorx
cause i use the comcast broadband motorola cable modem in conjunction with aol

JKozzy
Speed
2.8 megabits per second

Communications 2.8 megabits per second
Storage 341.4 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3 seconds
Subjective rating Great

Info
Date & time Saturday, August 14, 11:20PM*
Test type IDT4 Free
Connection type Cable
Region ------
Data size 605KB
IP address -------
Provider Comcast Cable Communications Holdings, Inc

Results explanation
Communications
How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet.

Storage
The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

File download
The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.

Subjective rating
This is a rating of your connection compared to all other connections worldwide. The scale used is one we made up.

Bits(b), Bytes(B), and Baud
Bits and bytes are a measurement of electronic information. A byte is always 8 bits. Communications speeds are usually measured in bits per second while many computer operations are measured in bytes per second. A "56k" modem is 56 kilobits and a "2m" DSL connection is 2 megabits per second. "128MB" of RAM is 128 megabytes. Ideally when abbreviations are used, b means bits and B means bytes. Baud rate is another measure of transmission speed and is the number of actual signals sent per second. At one time it was equal to the bits per second, but modern technology allows us to send more than one bit per electric signal.

Mega(M) and kilo(k)
Traditionally kilo means one thousand exactly. In the communications world engineers call a thousand bits transmitted in a second 1 kilobit per second. Makes sense. Now while 1000 is a nice round number for humans to work with, it isn't for computers. Mathematically speaking humans use decimal or base 10 numbers and computers use binary or base 2. 1024 is 2 to the power of 10 which is a significant binary value and so is represented by kilo in the computer world. Mega is similar except it means one million and in the computer world is 1024 kilo or 1,048,576. Ideally when abbreviations are used, k means 1000 and K means 1024.

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

~Angel~
no... I'm just not cool enough cry

JKozzy
The modem has nothing to do with your speed, unless it's less than the speed of the provider.. the bandwidth provided by AOL would determine it, and if it's 1mb/s then that's how fast it would be with any modem, it can only get slower.

theterminatorx
mines as of now is 2.4 megabits per second

Communications 2.4 megabits per second
Storage 292.4 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3.5 seconds
Subjective rating Great

Explain results

Info
Date & time Saturday, August 14, 11:26PM*
Test type IDT4 Free
Connection type Cable
Region Connecticut
Data size 605KB
IP address 64.12.116.72
Provider America Online, Inc.

i would say pretty good

Kotaro
u have cable thats why your getting faster internet, but i have DSL and for me its 1mb speed

Fallen Jedi
and one point i did, but...but... sad

i can't. i'm sorry...its all too painful.

stick out tongue

theterminatorx
just get what i get fj

Fallen Jedi
what did you get? sorry, i really haven't read all of the posts.

theterminatorx
i got this

mines as of now is 2.4 megabits per second

Communications 2.4 megabits per second
Storage 292.4 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3.5 seconds
Subjective rating Great

Explain results

Info
Date & time Saturday, August 14, 11:26PM*
Test type IDT4 Free
Connection type Cable
Region Connecticut
Data size 605KB
IP address 64.12.116.72
Provider America Online, Inc.

i would say pretty good
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and im using a comcast motorola cable modem

Fallen Jedi
laughing out loud um, i'm not really a computer whiz so i have no idea what all that means.

theterminatorx
it basically means i have cable internet which you could get if you have the comcast motorola cable modem which will connect to aol broadband9.0

Fallen Jedi
oh, okay.

it wasn't the internet connection/speed i was having problems with. it has more to do with a domestic issue.

darkcrown
I have AOL but I doubt you're talking about that anymore. sad I hate being a n00b. >sad

theterminatorx
what you mean domestic issue?

darkcrown
Domestic Disturbance! smile

theterminatorx
i actually still dont get

darkcrown
...neither do I. Me go have food! big grin

MC Mike
My advice: Burn your AOL CD and get rid of it NOW. yes And that test sucks. stick out tongue Tried it once, got 1.3. Tried again, got 2.4. roll eyes (sarcastic)

darkcrown
I don't like AOL that much, it's slow and evil! mad I go to my friends all the time and use Netscape big grin

theterminatorx
no matter what im doing good with aol9.0 and getting great speed and download time

Fallen Jedi
long story. not gonna get into it. to many complications.

darkcrown
I don't like complications. sad

Jedi Priestess
Had it dumped it.........it sux messed

theterminatorx
which setup did you had dial up or broadband?

Jedi Priestess
BOTH.......ya just cant do much with the damn thing the way you can with Yahoo.....it has more features than anything out there, one of my favorite being the ability to be online and invisible, but still being able to IM the peeps you want without everyone seeing you online and iming you to death. wink

JKozzy
AIM has that too wink

theterminatorx
yep it does

Jedi Priestess
ah but none of them have, a built in music station, customizable avatars, invisibility, customizable away messages and fast file transfer all in one the way YM does wink

theterminatorx
actually it does wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.