technology

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wuteva
I just realised that aprox. 70% of humanity (average people) don't understand how daily used stuff (microwaves, tv, mobile phones, electricty, etc.) work. I mean, it's pretty annoying. There are people who buy expensive cellphones just because it makes them look smart, but they have no idea how it works.
We know only the 'basic instructions', but most people are not capable of building such hi-tech stuff on their own.
Even a damn monkey can do that.

JRatT12
This thread reminds me of an argument i had with one of my crazy Friends. He tryed to convince me that no one in the world knows why a computer works anymore. He said that people know what RAM is.,what a Graphics Card dose, what a processor is doing, but thy dont know how all this stuff put together makes a computer. We argued about this for like an hour then i released that i have know idea how a computer works so we went and got a pizza.....,,i know this has nothing to do with your thread but i thought i would bring it up anyway big grin

Abbita
no expression .............laughing out loud

I am the one in my family who sorts out all the technology in the house. None of them know how to work Digital television properly, set up a VCR or DVD play or even turn on the computer on their own messed

Darth Revan
Okay... You guys need to realize that the reason most of the world can't operate technology is because a great many people have never even SEEN stuff like this, let alone owned it. America and the UK are very wealthy countries by some standards.

Abbita
but my family have no excuse for it though sad well...apart from they are old....erm

Moo Cow
thats the same with my family, they can read the instructions 5 times and still not figure out how to play a dvd or record a tv show sad

JRatT12
you have to admit that there are some good thing about being more technology skilled than your parints. I like it when my mom calls me to fix the vcr or tv and i act like it was super hard so she makes me diner. ( i dont live at home so my mom making me dinner is a big thing big grin

el_barto
Just imagine, in fifty years we will be like our grandparents (or close to it), cluelless about our technology

wuteva
K, i agree with Darth_Revan, I was actually thinking of the people who DO own stuff like that (my mistake). I mean, the countries that are civilized. Also, it's true that most old ppl are not familiar with the technology these days.

Papaumau
You young whippersnappers !

That reaction is simply ageist prejudice !

You like the idea that the crinkleys are inferior to you because you do not suffer from technophobia !

Let me tell you....( If you don''t already know )....that...

I am sixty years old and I bet I know as much about computers and hi-technology in general as any of you here.

When I retired from the civil service after 22 years in postings all around the world I took a business course and a training course in domestic satellite installation and repair technology after which I started my own business and ran it successfully until Sky killed off all of it's independent competition including my business....This did not put me off as I then studied computers and I am now sitting in front of my second home-built PC.

While I agree that hi-technology expertise is heavily compartmentalised these days this does not mean to say that it is only the youngsters that have the edge in understanding how it works in general.

NOW....where's that enter button again...ah yes...CLICK!

wuteva
lol

wuteva
Okay.. I guess it depends how interested an older person is in the latest technology. For example, a teacher of mine (same age as Papaumau) who studied literature all her life, has no idea how to use today's techno., and says that it is pure EVIL and it will mess up our minds. I think she suffers from "technophobia" or something.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.