We're Getting A New Server!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raz
Last night at 4am was the last straw. A new server is being instated as we speak.

The current one is a single P4 with 1.5G RAM and a IDE hard drive.

The new one is MUCH more powerful - Dual 2.8GHz Xeon, 2G ECC RAM and with 3 blazing fast SCSI drives.

I'm going to be configuring it for the next few days, with the actual migration of the site and forums over the weekend. I'll post more info at the time.

*Finally* I should be able to get some sleep at night smile

yerssot
a P4 1.5G RAM and a IDE hard drive is enough to occasional run a forum??

Agent Elrond
yey, a new server. No more down time. Hopefully the problem is the server. *worries if it was something else*

Fëanor
why not have two servers running full time with those configs connected to a third as a firewall...that way if one of the two should crash the other will take over....

yerssot
money money money stick out tongue

Raz
(split thread into new thread)

After spending the past 3 days configuring and installing a brand new operating system, it came to my attention that there is a hardware fault on the new server. Currently the techs at the datacenter are replacing the faulty hardware.

Because of this, the server move is being delayed until next weekend. I will be running extensive tests in the meantime to make sure we have no problems in future.

Clovie
lovely happy

(i didn't know you can split threads blink )

Stormy Day
KMC's getting upgrades Happy Dance!

hobbit_dude
so... there will b no threads in the forums??? it will b like starting again? only7 that with the memebers all ready??

Clovie
blink i rather think that all the stuff will be moved to new server
am i right Meister?

Stormy Day
WHERE GETTING ERASED?!?!?!

AHHHHHAHHAHAHAHAHH|!!!!!!!

Kotaro
whats so bad abotu it, we can make a new Empire, as the greatest forums on this earth!! big grin

Stormy Day
Im starting a rebellion and eventually we will take out Raz ninja

But until then hes still the head poncho pray

Kotaro
u will never beat the forces of the DW clan, i will bring then onto this site and make them take over, evil face i'm also bringing my side clan side to this site as Sun Ce

Stormy Day
I can overthrow anybody...I just need time ninja

Kotaro
u won't overthrow a clan of over 30 members, that are very inteligent, plus they know how to have a good time, its ust what this site needs, The Dw clan laughing out loud

Clovie
you for sure. erm

why nobody is listening to me when i am right? confused
it's getting old. schmoll

do you think there was no server change before? during this few years KMC is working?
i think there was, and nothing get erassed. and now it won't as well.
at least i think so erm

BlackC@t
I'm a member of the KMC secret Society, who are we? you cannot know, all you can know is that we are there and watching ninja

Kotaro
Dw clan is coming too, i'm the first DW clan member to come to these forums

yerssot
the only switch that went "wrong" was when it went from EZboards to VBulletin, all the server upgrades and moving that happened later on, never formed a problem

JKozzy
I don't think we'd lose any or all of the threads though, right?

TOH
Dual 2.8 Xeon!!! eek!

Fëanor
*pulls out checkbook*

so how much did you say???

Stormy Day
Ive spoken with members of your "Dw Clan" very unsteady members you have ninja

Raz
No posts/threads/polls/avatars/sigs/images etc will be lost. The transition should be transparent and most people will notice no difference at all.

Anyway a quick update - the techs on the datacenter are bringing in a brand new set of hardware and are right now testing every single component throughly so that we have no problems in future smile

Stormy Day
Will the forums look different?

Raz
Everything will be the same.

yerssot
I see many believe moving servers is like moving to a new house...

Darth Sauron
I dont like the sound of that most fear

Stormy Day
Why cant Raz change the background so we can have some variety? no expression

yerssot
why should he pick the background? one of the few things you can actually deceide what you want and now you don't like that?

Stormy Day
Sorry embarrasment

Clovie
and when i said that no1 believed me cry schmoll

Stormy Day
disgust

I believed you cry

TOH
What do you mean by brand new set of hardware ? evil face

Agent Elrond
if I saw this thread ealier, I would have believed u. there've been server changes in the past and nothing changed

Raz
It's shrink-wrapped wink

Anyway, I have control of the server right now. I've been running very extensive tests to make sure everything is good and making sure we don't have problems in future.

After that, I will install a fresh copy of Linux, install the apps, do loads of tests and then think about migrating everything over.

ETA is hopefully sometime this week big grin

Stormy Day
Raz do you think anyone could ever buy this site from you?

Raz
Server migration is set for Saturday morning (tomorrow).....if I'm sober...

lil bitchiness

Raz

Raz
Copying over the files right now. Attachments are disabled until the move is complete.

Darth Sauron
fear
You sure this is safe?
and my account wont mysteriously be forgotten stick out tongue?

Korri
woweee this is exciting!! eek!

Raz
Forum move delayed by about half an hour. Copying over 5G really does take a long time!

JKozzy
Ah, I was wondering why it hadn't happened yet. Thanks for the update happy

And much good luck to make the migration as smooth as possible-- heh lord knows we need it stick out tongue

Raz
stick out tongue

Update: copying the files is taking much longer than expected (slow connection on the old server) so migration set to an hour from now - around 17:00BST

Raz
All done! big grin

24 hour countdown started dave wink

Darth Sauron
Is it over?

Raz
Yup big grin

JKozzy
I could've registered a sock if I wanted to, I hit register and it didn't know me embarrasment But I didn't big grin

Excellent job, Raz. Sorry dave but I'm hoping Raz gets your money stick out tongue

JKozzy
Oh yeah--- the clocks for me are four hours and three minutes off.. it's probably been known but just letting you know.

Darth Sauron
Yeah its ten past nine PM on my kmc clock....thats 4 hours off confused

And its not going right when i edit my options

Raz
Fixed big grin

Server time is now in UTC (aka GMT)

JKozzy
Hm.. if this is how it's staying, then I'll haveta go fix it, an hour off..

And Raz: didn't want to open a new thread, but you were 'Editing Forum Profile'... what's the forum profile? smile

Raz
I've fixed everyones profiles, so you don't have to!

Oh and its this http://www.killermovies.com/forums/member.php?action=editprofile wink

Darth Sauron
Editing his own profile isnt it?

Guardian_Rikku
Umm...I'm trying to log out of my account, but it's not letting me...I click "log out" and then click the thing that takes me back to the forums index, but I'll still be logged in...messed

Into the Void
I read somewhere(don't remember where) that the user name-changing thing is on hold until after the new server was up. I just checked my profile, to see if I could change back to my old username, and I can't. It's been 3 weeks since I changed to this one so,

What da problem is?

JKozzy
Oh, so a sort of universal method? If thats not it then I don't get it. Ah well stick out tongue Thanks big grin

Raz
Logout problem has been fixed.

Username thingie is something I have to write, which will be sometime next week.

Raz
attachment test

JKozzy
Ooh, nice picture stick out tongue

And I've noticed that if I submit a reply, and check "Return to forum after post", the thread I posted in is marked as not being read, and has the NEW! image. Before, it would say it was already read. Not sure if that's a big deal, just letting you know messed

Raz
Yup, I got that problem aswell.

Simple solution is to close all your browser windows, and then start it up again.

Dexx
ooh..working faster than ever..

Tptmanno1
works beautifly Raz!
Thankee!

Stormy Day
Hey how come the quotes look different?

dave123

dave123
and check your logs... i know you can see who logs in and out yes

lil bitchiness
Woohoo! happy

Its working perfect, the quote thing changed, but i like it! happy

Tptmanno1
yea, the quote thing is cool.

Agent Elrond
Username thingie? Nice name for it, lol

I sense no problems, everything seems fine. Noticed the new quote thingie. Nice. New server is doing fine. No more random crashes!

Agent Elrond
I can comfirm that. It happened to me.

JKozzy
Very good quoting system .... but I don't know how to do quote in a quote huh

Agent Elrond
I have seen the done, I think it's called embedded quoting and it can be a pain in the @ss since it quotes ALL quotes. I think Raz has to tinker with the options to get that to work and hopefully he can set come typ of limit.

BTW, with this new quote look, I forgot what the old one looked like, lol

dave123
haha! zorro

ash007
mmm man i finding the message board really slow today wink

Does anyone else have the same problem

dave123
no, mine is just fine.... but that classifies as another problem to win my fiver happy

Raz
Pfft, you must be getting desperate! The link in the announcement was an IP linked oned, so its not suprising you aren't logged in for it stick out tongue

Now wheres MY fiver? wink

dave123
an error is an error raz... we didn't bet on it being a SERIOUS one stick out tongue

and ash reports it being slow.... how long until the 24 hrs are up?

dave123
confused why did the quotes boxed just turn red?

§pearhead
I was wondering that meself blink though mine aren't red...but they're still boxes

Raz
Thats me trying to make them look more "prettier" wink

Oh and the 24 hours will be up by 5PM today big grin

dave123
so, will i be receiving it as cash or cheque?

Raz
Pfft, the server hasn't crashed, so you owe me! stick out tongue

yerssot
actually,... Fire and I had some troubles with KMC around 6 local time
(we are both on other providers)

Raz
Straight from the server: 19:02:16 up 1 day, 20:03, 1 user, load average: 0.22, 0.27, 0.26Notice the italics...

yerssot
I'm sorry, I do not follow confused

Fire
yea still the damn site was acting funny

Raz
According to the server (and that quote), the server has been running non-stop for 1 day and 20 hours. I'm guessing the problems, were network related and not server related.

Fire
yea Rexx also had problems KMC was also acting funny and very slowly.

Raz
I've raised the issue with the datacenter people. Waiting for a reply.

Fire
I hope they aint french else you can wait a long time for a respons

dave123
the people have spoken, and its time to pay up

Raz
Aaah, looks like it was a network upgrade. Just saw this notice:Looks like we found our problem. Nothing to do with the server.

So Dave....cough up! big grin

dave123
no2 and i experienced a page not loading after I posted a reply... along with the reports of it running slow.... thats not zero stick out tongue

Raz
Pfft!

Raz
I've just had the honour of killing the old server. It was sadistically fun crippling it, and then taking it offline evil face

Oh and as you may have noticed, we've been running non-stop at full steam for over 12 days now big grin

Raz
After non-stop fun for over 62 days, I will be upgrading the kernel on the server tomorrow morning. The reboot will take about a minute.

Clovie
it was really working all that time? huh

Raz
Yes, the server itself has been running like clockwork. There have been some network issues, but those have been sorted out.

Clovie
thumb up
that's truth, recently it was working rather fine.

Raz
Upgrading server right now...

Raz
Software upgrade and reboot now complete big grin

Raz
Got a tiny problem...more soon.

Clovie
but it is working big grin

Jedi Priestess
good to know it wasnt on my end! laughing out loud

Raz
All is fine and good now big grin

Raz
Database server has been upgraded. Should notice some possible speed improvements.

Clovie
wuvly happy coz it's been kinda slow recently.

Londonboy7
\Its already benn tryed..................bawling

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.