Euthanasia Report

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Snipes
Hi, i am doing a report for legal studies on euthanasia.

this is what i have so far:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Euthanasia is the act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment. Euthanasia can sometimes be confused with assisting in suicide. But the main difference in the two is that euthanasia is the deliberate and intentional killing of a human being by a direct action, such as a lethal injection. While assisting in suicide is when a person or persons gives an individual an item/s which are life ending, the item may be drugs and the individual will attempt suicide through a drug overdose.

Currently in Australia, Euthanasia is an illegal act. There are many lobby groups currently involved in trying to legalise euthanasia.
There is an ongoing debate over whether a terminally ill patient should be allowed to chose when they die.

Euthanasia is an important issue as there are many different views on it. Whilst most people do not want to see it legalised, at the same time, most of those people will not be in a position where they are in chronic pain 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i need some help with identifying the main issues involved in the euthanasia debate.

if you have anything else you think i should add, can you please post that as it will be greatly appreciated.

thankyou for your time and help.

Scotty

Clovie
there are few kinds of euthanasia...
all illegal here (at least i hope so erm)

golden moon
euthanasia is a greek world....

Papaumau
Hi Snipes....

This your resident smartass responding...

I think that the first thing you must do is to differentiate between voluntary and enforced euthanasia.

The former is what most enlightened lobby-groups are trying to get into the legislature in many developed countries but as the churches hold much of the power in this regard it has been discovered that it is very difficult to even try to get an open debate on the subject.

The latter is what the Nazis did during the last world war where they were of the opinion that the best way to produce a master-race was by the euthanising of any human that was not "perfect" in their interpretation of the word.

There is many good arguments for the former but none - as far as I can see - for the latter.

I have been a member of the Voluntary Euthansia Society of Scotland, ( VESS ) for many years and I support this idea - with many caveats - so that people who are terminally ill can decide for themselves how, where, and when they will finally die with dignity and without suffering.

Find out more here if you are interested:

http://www.euthanasia.cc

Dexx
well...paps covers it, apparently smile

Darth Revan
There was that dude who got in big trouble for his "suicide machine" a while ago...

Papaumau
Yeh Darth....

His name was Kevorkian

Do a Google for him.....fun guy ! eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.