Xena (All Opinions Welcomed)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tex
The other Xena threads have been death.

All opinions about Xena, (-) or (+) will be discussed in this thread.

*sigh*

TrAnCeDuO
*applauds tex*i think you just brought this dispute one step closer to becoming solved

Tex
You give me too much credit! whistle

I'll take it! shifty

Oh yeah, Xena, she's totally old and stuff!

silver_tears
well it's a very unrealistic portrayal of the time

I dislike it with a passion and believe that scantily clad woman running around in leather killing legions of men is not something children should be exposed to.

I also think that they could have done better than Lucy Lawless in the role.

dave123
its lame sleep only watched 2 mins before i changed channel

wicker_man
Despite the references to Greek Mythology i believe the shows creators designed the show with no specific era in mind, and as for the whole scantily clad women aspect its nothing new to the genre for instance take the first incarnation of Star Trek, how many times was William Shatner caught rolling around with some scantily clad beauty and lets not forget Raquel Welch's turn in One Million Years BC. Xena only brought this whole aspect to the forecourt.

silver_tears
That may be so, however Xena takes this to an extreme. How many times in one show does she flip off a horse and her skirt go flying. I relies heavily on a male audience, and uses cheap tactics to suck them in, like bath tub scenes between two girls roll eyes (sarcastic)

TrAnCeDuO
well said wicker....i think this thing was supposed to be totally fictional...and as for the scantily clad part....how do you think she would do if she wore ordinary knights armor?she has a unique style that revolves around agility with some power....the armor she wears now is good since back then they didnt really make armor for women...and that minerva is intended to protect her chest but not her entire body(and bcuz it isnt cumbersome)as for gabrielle....she just a normal warrior....she is strong but she never really intended to become hardcore like xena...

wicker_man
I don't really see how though take Lexx, Cleopatra, Charmed, Buffy, Angel and even the WWE all have this aspect in there aswell.

lil bitchiness
They shouldnt have made her a key character in some of the mythological stories. thats just silly. I mean, one minute shes in ancient greece type enviroment, the nex epizode shes collaborating with Julius Cesar What the f**k?

Riiiiight, ok then!! rolleyes1

Besides all the Amazon women in the short tight skirts and stuff...what is all that about..i thought it was ment to be a ''woman power'' type stuff...its more like lesbians galore through every episode!

Twin B!tch 1
Totally agree with ST yes

Twin B!tch 1
And Lil B yes

TrAnCeDuO
right again wicker! they ALL use those tactics....so you cannot point the finger at them...

Twin B!tch 1
Yes but it isn't shown the whole way through, there is oonly a few times that it happens and most of the time not at all, whereas with Xena its in your face every minute of the show yes

TrAnCeDuO
*sigh*you sound alot like when i was fighting with hocky...i knew nothing about rap...yet i hated it....this is basiclly the same scenario...your judging it when you never gave it a chance to see if there really was anything more to it...

silver_tears
I agree with milla, somehow she manages to travel through time messed
Precisely girl power would be if she could pull all this off without special powers or what not, and about her armour, she wears so little of it, yet she never gets harmed in any way.

Not to mention that one episode or whatever where she comes back from the dead, that was such a bad episode I didn't even bother watching the ads for it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

silver_tears
and these are our opinions of Xena, it doesn't really matter about the others at the time.

lil bitchiness
All of those have some substance to it...if only a little bit!

Xena is just so rediculous, at least Buffy gets scratched, bruised when fighting, but Xena is never!!

I mean shes stops arrows with her hand rolleyes1

And another thing is, none of us have said in there that we love any of the series you mentioned above...

wicker_man
Not true being a regular viewer of the series back in its hey day i can assure you that this was not the case, basically every show and film takes this ploy to attract the male audience, even Scooby Doo (The Movie) had one scene drawn up where the two lead females had to kiss...and this is a family oriented movie.

wicker_man
Even the WWE ???

silver_tears
for your information I have seen Xena, the acting was repetitive and over done.

all her kick ass attitude and I'm not afraid of anyone was over the top, how can any one woman do all that, if you wanna do a show, at least add some realistic aspects to it!

lil bitchiness
Oh yes, how clever of you, ive never seen the show yet i know about it! Please!
Ive seen this show many times, simply because it used to be right before the simpsons, i know what im talking about...

Again, if you are gonna make her into a Mythology character, then pick a time of some sort...i mean Julius Cesar, Hercules, Cleopatra....all in one time....sheesh!! rolleyes1

Darth Revan
lil b has a good point about the Amazons

The whole idea of the Amazons is that they're a tribe of fed-up, anti-male women. They probably would not have worn that kind of stuff if they had existed--in fact there are stories of Amazonian warriors cutting off their right breasts so they could draw their bows more easily...

lil bitchiness
Yeah....and? I dont get your point? My point is that some people are arguing how thats not exploitation of women, and im arguing it is...

wicker_man
Well some people would argue that films like American Pie, Road Trip do exactly the same thing in regards to exploiting woman.

lil bitchiness
True that!

Amazons were also big women. Also said to have fought in Trojan war...tehy arent pummped up princesses with a little skirts and jewlery!! Please!

silver_tears
Precisely, if females become opressed and fed up about how males treated them back then as slaves and objects, why in the world would they wear tight and short skirts to get more negative attention roll eyes (sarcastic)

Not to mention how Xena easily slings her sword around, to be true to history, swords were not light as a feather, it took alot to be able to use one.

lil bitchiness
Yes....and? What is your point....i think that too...so? We are discussing Xena...

silver_tears
That's the whole point, Xena_fan was upset with our comments of Xena, however we are not discussing any other movie or show, it is about our feelings of Xena.

wicker_man
My point is Xena did not start this so called trend of exploiting scantily clad women, i have given you perfect examples of other pro grammes that could be classed as 'demoralizing women' and i could give you a list of more prior to Xena's debut on screen. Im just pointing out that the whole aspect of Xena shouldn't be scapegoated for this particular aspect, bad acting and cheesy dialog maybe.

lil bitchiness
We are not discussing anything else....we are discussing Xena and what that TV show is showing...we dont care about the rest!! Period.

TrAnCeDuO
...why do i have the feeling this is getting us nowhere?

silver_tears
yes, but these movies and things alot of them came after Xena, which means that because Xena started the trend, and was popular amongst some audiences a whole new genre cam to be.

wicker_man
That's what i've been doing but to highlight my argument i need to highlight other examples.

lil bitchiness
It doesnt really matter!!

If we were discussing some other TV show or film you have mentioned already, i woud have an openion, however, that is totally irrelevant at this point!

lil bitchiness
And just because it is the same as those programs does that mean it makes it ok?

wicker_man
Sorry ST but Xena was merely another step in this so called genre... try 1966's One Million Years BC, Barbarella (also from the 60's), countless Hammer Horror outings and of course Star Trek for a good place to start.

silver_tears
if you know nothing about it and hate it, then you are just prejudice.

We have seen the show and episodes, and have valid reasons for our dislike of it, if you had a dislike of rap then you had a reason for hating it, but knowing nothing of it and feeling that way makes you biased based on other things.

TrAnCeDuO
just so you know i learned from experience....im not racist ya know...

lil bitchiness
I cant say I like it or agre with it when i dont. I mean...what the hell?

All those shows do the same thing, yes, all those movies do it yes, but we are not talking about them, we are talking about Xena and the idea that someone put foward that this show is different, i am arguing that it is noT!!

silver_tears
I don't say that I disagree, but at first you did not mention these shows, I am just pointing out that the others mentioned came after Xena big grin

wicker_man
I know its not but the majority of arguments that have been circulating around Xena have been to do with its so called demorilsation of women, im just arguing that its a show (nothing more) thats a small 'stepping stone' in a long line of this genre.

Twin B!tch 1
why are we even discussing Xena anyway? It was a crap show that isn't worth my time arguing over so bye bye big grin

silver_tears
Plus I will point out I don't have an opinion on these shows because I have not seen them, but Xena I have seen so therefore I have an opinion on it, even if it is negative.

lil bitchiness
Woah!! True!! Very very true! big grin

wicker_man
Yeh i mean just look at Lexx and Cleopatra far worse (in my opinion) for demoralizing women.

yerssot
wow, this is a big trash-talk thread huh? big grin

silver_tears
yes, but Xena started this off, and then after they figured hey we can suck the males in with half-naked woman doing somersaults off horses.

lil bitchiness
Even as a show it sucks!! And why does it do so...well because Wicker Man just like you said it yourself, it does all the other show does when it comes to representing women,
its not mythologicly correct, nor historicly correct. And the fight scenes suck!!

yerssot
definitly have to watch again laughing out loud

oh wait... is it still the same old tart? messed

wicker_man
Again i need to point out Xena did not start this trend maybe buck it but definitely did not start it.

silver_tears
no I mean for your other shows and movies you listed, not the ones from long ago.

wicker_man
Still im making the point that Xena re-bucked this trend like did Scream with the slasher genre.

silver_tears
Yes, but my point still remains that in my personal opinion that is not girl power at the best. And I have no urge to watch half-naked girls jump around or what not, so I am not a fan.

wicker_man
Well my personal opinion (and final word) on the show is that it was an enjoyable romp that although historically inaccurate was good 'brainless' fun for a Saturday evening.

Corlindel
I like the Amazons and their queen....They are one of my favorites miths of the Odissey and Illiad from Homer. It is great to imagine them fighting next to the Troians against the Greek, when their quenn Pentesileia was killed by Aquiles....

But Xena is to much silly to be true. I dislike that TV serie a lot. sleep

lil bitchiness
Again...very true!! Too silly!! Way too silly and untrue...

wicker_man
Well i dont think the shows creators were trying to win any awards for originality or historical accuracy.

burlyman
the Charmed sisters wear proper clothes and don't do lesbian nude scenes What the f**k?

Xena fan
So far Wickerman has been right about Xena. The whole idea starte because Hercules which used to big years ago needed a Female theme so some producers decided that a female version would be needed. So Xena was produce to attract younger female audiences into the series. Xena got her show Lucy got the spot!

Xena can be consider a spinoff, and there is so much to talk about. But since some of you have decided to make rants about ME!

It wasn't brainless or dull Xena was meant to be a show for women that love stories about barbarians themes. And Xena was more like a superhero for women!

lil bitchiness
True that! thumb up

burlyman

wicker_man
I can see that this thread will be joining the ranks of the banned.

lil bitchiness
Believe me, it is not!

lil bitchiness
Please note what Tex said when he started this thread:

Xena Thread (All Opinions Welcomed)

Pretty self explanitary, and clear!

wicker_man
Still its turning pretty ugly.

Xena fan

lil bitchiness
Nah, dont worry, Tex is our Goderator wink

yerssot

Xena fan

yerssot

Xena fan

yerssot

TrAnCeDuO

yerssot
that sounds offtopic to me

burlyman
Yerss did I ever tell you I love you eek!

yerssot
yesterday, ten times in a row wink

think this one can get closed now

JKozzy
Xena thumb down I already listed my reasons in the other thread....

ash007
lol indeed i think What the f**k?

Tex
This thread is all about Xena, no one else.
Please keep it on topic.

Yes, that means you Xena_fan.

Any further disruptive posts will result in a temporary ban!

Dogbert
lol, 5 posts, in a row, removed... no expression

Ushgarak
I think anyone who thinks that its historical inaccuracy is a problem is magnificently missing the point....

BTW, did Hercules exploit men, then?

§pearhead
What did I miss? Looks like I missed somethin fun.

btw, xena=thumb down

lil bitchiness
'Did Hercules exploit men?' What? confused

I dont understand what are you talking about there? How is Hercules exploiting men? Why would men exploit men? What?! What the f**k?

Ushgarak
Why wouldn't men exploit men, if it got ratings?

I am just pointing out there is nothing Xena did with women to get a male audience that Hercules did not do in the same way to get a female one.

Xena fan
You brought excatly my point! Xena does not exploit a womans body. It only shows that the female body is capable of fighting in a barbarian era. Thats the point and thats why Im a big fan of her!

smile

JKozzy
Are there even new episodes of that show? What the f**k? I thought it was cancelled like three years ago.

Xena fan
The show currently under syndicate. If you want to catch re-runs watch Lifetime. Which is a cable channel dedicated for WOMEN.

smile

burlyman
What does under syndicate mean? ...un-popular or something confused

Xena fan
It means certain networks can carry the show. Is a law thingie.

silver_tears
What precisely does Hercules do with men What the f**k?
and it lost it's popularity so it no longer runs on most channels.

Ushgarak
What does Hercules do with men? Portray them in a cliched way to attract women. Like I say, same thing Xena does with women for men.

lil bitchiness
Hercules doesnt have an affair with Euolus, nor does he have naked bath scenes..confused

burlyman
Its illegal ? messed

silver_tears
precisely, you don't know what can be going on with her and gabrielle What the f**k?

Ushgarak
So what? Women do not want the same thing from fantasy men as men want from fantasy women. The pitch, however, is identical.

Raz
I don't think this Xena topic is worth the distruption and ill-feeling its causing.

I'm closing this one now, and please don't start another one.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.