Alfred Molina as Doc Ock

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alphamale
Who else thinks this a bad choice for Dr. Oct? Wasnt he suppose to be German? No offense to Molina, who I have liked in other movies , I just dont like him for this role!

Then again I didnt like the guy from Green Mile as Kingpin in Dare Devil. He was great in Green Mile, but not what I wanted for Kingpin! But oh well!

Max Power
I think he could be okay. Molina is an awesome character actor. And man this guy has been busy. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Identity in April. Looks like a creepy movie. Maybe this is the start of a trend as Molina playing creepy characters?

Catch 22
I think that visually he is a perfect choice, he looks like Dok Ok from the comics and cartoons. Whether he can pull of the accent, etc, I dunno. I have to admit that I am not familair with any of his previous works.

BOPRecruit 16
in the comics and toon, he was white. *i'm not racist* too bad that raimi isn't going to have the lizard appear. doc connors will be in it, but not as the lizard. alas. but, then again, don't want the hulk appearance of way too much cgi to happen. it's for sure that sam neil is playing doc connors right? i wonder who'd play who in the third one, which villians, any guesses? i really want to see peter use the alien symbiote! that suit is so cool. so far in collecting spidey comics, those are the ones i'm only collecting. ^.~

Alphamale
No BOP I agree and it not racist to point that out! I guess its just another attempt at being "PC" nowadays! I know of alot of better options! Like I said , Im dissappointed in the choice!

LanceWindu
Does anyone have a pic of Molina?

I've never seen him before.

Once I do then I can make a judgement.

Alphamale
Yeah Windu, on the main site of killermovies.com , look for the article titled dr. oct in spiderman or something like that?"Alfred Molina is in Spiderman 2" might be it?

Augeybana
really Alfred Molina.

chico23
http://www.imdb.com/EGallery?source=granitz&group=1505&photo=Events/1505/AlfredMoli_Vespa_588016_400.jpg&path=pgallery&path_key=Molina,%20Alfred

I had to know what he looked like to know who he was. Didn't know him by name. (shame shame)

Augeybana
i didn't know him at first either.

Omegaman
yeah , thats a terrible choice for the Dr.!!

duffy
Id have to see him in costume before i decide!
Who do uz think would make a good Doc Oc

Omegaman
Well , From what I remember Dr.Oct was German I think. I beleive that Molina is Latin, so I dont think that is a good match.

At least get someone closer to the original characters look! How about the guy from Event Horizon-Sam Neill? Or Harvey Kitel?

catlady761
He looks fascinating in the part of the creature in Spiderman 2, this is the only reason I would rent the movie! I have been a fan of his for quite awhile, since he was with another favorite actor, Gary Oldman, in "Prick Up Your Ears." I think a lot of people don't know that he is British. I'm anxious to see the movie now, Part I was a hell of alot better than that bomb "Daredevil". That was undoubtedly one of the worse movies I have ever had the displeasure of seeing.

wuTa
ummm i'm pretty sure doc ock isnt german...for some reason they gave him a german accent in the 90s cartoon but i'm pretty sure he wasnt german in the comics

SpyCspider
Otto Octavius...what does that name sound like to you?

wuTa
ok u got me...but i would still say he's an american from german descant i always thought he was born in new york...i dont recall reading a german accent from the comics

Ock
I dont know about you guys but I thought Molina was perfect in the role of Doc Ock.Not only is he a great actor but when he put on the tentacles and the shades it was like Doc Ock had come to life straight from the comic book page.

Also he was far more visually stunning than Dafoes Green Goblin.And he wasnt cheesy at all.The way he delivered his villainous lines was pure class: "Find Spider-Man or I'll peel the flesh from her bones".

Whats your guys opinions?.Were you pleased with Alfred Molina as Doctor Octopus?

Mane
yeah but i disagree with you about Dafoe. i think Dafoe played an AMAZING Osborn. i liked Ock, but i like Dafoe as GG more.

fever red
Loved them both. Some-one here once commented that the Goblin mask interfered with the true impact of Dafoe's acting skills (besides being quite unlike the comic-book look). I think this is true; it was a significant obstacle. Perhaps Molina connected with you better than Dafoe largely because you could see his face as he delivered his lines?
Both actors used body and voice to become the villains fully for us. Molina had the costume he deserved. I wish Dafoe had had the same- if only the Goblin mask had been a CG overlay leaving his features largely uncompromised... Of course, that discussion has been thoroughly plumbed. I just wanted to point out that comparing the two is apples and oranges.

fever red
One thing to think about- Molina had the puppet arms to interact with only in some scenes. In others, he had to imagine the arms and anticipate how they would move about his body once they were CG'd into the scene. That had to have been interesting. I'm sure that he knew that the CG would be affected by every move he made; so he may have been "conducting" in a sense, almost speaking to the CG animators with his body and making suggestions to them...

Ironman 66
they were both good

TheFilmProphet
I completely agree. I loved it when he was about to hand Spider-Man Aunt May and then he dropped her and said 'Oops butter fingers'
Classic evil face

BlackC@t
^agreed, I loved that line!

Molina was perfect as Ock, but I just didn't think they portrayed him as evil nor a supervillain like they did with The Green Goblin, I really loved the look and up-date of the tentacles, much better then the comic/Tv series crappy ones.......

TheFilmProphet
The old ones looked almost plastic I'm glad they were changed I also loved it when Doc Ock woke up in the hospital and just let loose that scene almost matched the Green Goblin's madness.

Darth Jello
Molina is a superb actor and was perfect for the role. as for the next movie, i hope to see more of osbornes ghost and harry as the green goblin with a possibility of the lizard. I would also like to see Mark Hamill as Roderick Kingsley/Hobgoblin (he actually looks like kingsley), and Hayden Christensen as Venom. they should prolly have somebody in as Ned Leeds and Jason Macendale to confuse people as to who is the true hobgoblin.

TheFilmProphet
You should check out my thread for the full discussion about who should play Venom. Here http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f47/t302158.html

grey fox
yeah one of ocks best lines though must be near the end

'i will not die a monster'

that is he heaves the huge fusion core thing into the ocean wth him

TheFilmProphet
Yeah another classic cool

tomhopeparry
I dont think molina was who i would initially have thought to play ock, Not what I imagine ock to be like anyway. BUT I think he did it really well, i just love the line from a trailer 'find spiderman, or ill peel the flesh off her bones', definetly more sinister than the ock from the comics, i think i like that!

TheFilmProphet
Yeah the new sinister Ock was good. But for some reason the line I can't forget is 'oops butter fingers' evil face

tomhopeparry
yep I think movie adaptations CAN often do justice

The_Red_Dagon
Agreed, One of my favorite lines was when he was first standing in the old abandoned pier and he was all sad "My Rosie is dead." I wanted to just jump into the movie and hug him I felt so sorry for him, oh and to those who think Molina is ugly, He ain't stick out tongue

TheFilmProphet
Doesn't really matter to me just as long as he can play a good Doc Ock.

The_Red_Dagon
Just to say, Alfred Molina is Spanish and Italian, not Latino and this is one of the many pics I have of him, although I think that this pic is on the Killermovies site for Spiderman 2, but here...

Hostile
Anybody who has seen the movie and still says Molina was a bad choice... is clearly crankin it straight out their ass. He was perfect.

tomhopeparry
Molina was born in London, UK. His parents are Spanish and Italian tho. And i agree with Hostile, He played the part well. better than i could of hoped for anyway.

tomhopeparry
yeah it was quite an odd thing that, you couldnt help feel sorry for ock sometimes! like as if, he wasnt ever really a villain, not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing, cant make my mind up.

Paola
merging...

TheFilmProphet
Thats what Sam Raimi was going for with Spider-Man 2. So I guess he did his job.

The_Red_Dagon
PICS!!!

The_Red_Dagon
more...

The_Red_Dagon
LAst one...

Dez Wagner
I think Alfred Molina was a perfect choice for the Doc. he is a great actor and he did it well. I just wanted to hug him when he woke up in the hospital and realized his wife's death. sad
here is a pic ^^

Ock
Those are great pics.Alfred Molina ruled as Doc Ock!

TheFilmProphet
I agree.

Ock
When he dropped Aunt May and said 'butterfingers' I laughed.It was so wonderfully nasty.And the expression on Molinas face was class big grin

pr1983
he was great imo, as soon as i heard he was cast i said to myself hes gonna do well.

TheFilmProphet
That is my favorite Doc Ock scene in the whole film. It was just so classic.

Ock
The good news is he's been asked to return in the future.So Ock aint done yet big grin

pr1983
really, he was?

Ock
Yeah Raimi asked him would he return in the future and Molina said 'Yes of course'.Its great cos he was an awesome villain.Doc Ock rules!

Reborn Again
Finally! Someone with some common sense. Yes! Poor choice for Doc Ock. And they made the villain more sentimental instead of insidious and sinister, for which the Doc Ock in the comics is notorious for.

Endenkton
What this BS? He was brilliant.He looked like Ock,he was villainous and witty.You need to re-watch the movie.

Dez Wagner
yes! eek! I loved his 'of course!' before that too big grin

he was funny and so.. human in the whole movie!

Ock
Here here.Doc Ock was the man thumb up

Ock
Yes he was.Molina was perfect for the role.He was Doc Ock for my money.

TheFilmProphet
I disagree

SpyCspider
i always thought Ock in the comics and the 90s animated series was MUCH more sinister/diabolic/and evil. Like someone who got picked on as a kid for being smart, then grew up hating the world and wanting to conquer it. A REAL *******.

Molina was good for Ock since he's got the look and all...but yea, the sentimental thing was totally artistic license. I totally felt sorry for him in the movie, but never in the comics or cartoons. Remember Ock's first meeting with Spider-man? He slapped him silly, taunted him, and made him wanna give up being Spidey. Then leading the Sinister 6, he was also really wicked. IMO I think the 90s cartoon gave the best portrayal...arrogant, angry, and almost a buffoon.

TheFilmProphet
Just remember that what plays well in animation may not always play that good on the big screen.

Endenkton
Alfred Molina was a sinister Ock.He dropped old ladies from tall buildings,threw safe doors at innocent people,Dangled Harry over the balcony,threw innocent people off a train,smacked MJ away cool style,threw cars around New York like they were toys,OWNED all the train passengers when they tried to block him from getting to Spidey.

Even as Otto Octavius when Spider-Man tried to pull the plug on the reactor at his demonstration Otto shouted "Noooooo" and viciously swiped Spidey against the wall.He was nasty before the accident and those AI tentacles just brought out his dark side.He didnt take much convincing to turn evil.I mean the tentacles cant make him smile and laugh and come out with all his villainous lines.Otto ENJOYED being the bad guy

TheFilmProphet
I agree

Thanks for explaining that to everyone.

SpyCspider
tru..i agree..he did do all those things. I was just thinking more in lines of "psychotic laughter..buahahahahahah..i'm going to rule the world (a la Agent Smith to Neo)" kind of diabolicism (is that even a word?) But again, not going to lose sleep over it.

peace

TheFilmProphet
Actually I think Green Goblin already did that in the first movie.

Ock
Excellently said smokin'

Alfred Molina was awesome as Doc Ock.No question.

TheFilmProphet
I agree

Ock
So did anyone love that bit when Spider-Man confronted Ock after he took MJ and said "Where is she?".To which Ock grinned and said "Oh she'll be just fine.Lets talk" and gestured with his hand to come here big grin

Pure genius.

TheFilmProphet
yeah that was pretty classic. cool

Ock
Doc Ock:Find Spider-Man or I'll peel the flesh from her bones
Peter:If you lay one finger on her...
Doc Ock:You'll do what?

Loved that big grin

TheFilmProphet
Yeah then he throws Petey into a brick wall and runs off with Mary.

Its classic cool

Ock
http://img16.exs.cx/img16/1444/smoke1.gif

cool

TheFilmProphet
Nice cool

Ock
Oh I loved when he swiped away stupid Dunst:

http://img7.exs.cx/img7/9908/bashed02.gif

TheFilmProphet
yeah that one was great too

Mr Parker
Yeah Alfred Molina was great as Doc Ock.He was the best thing about that movie.If only he had not become good at the end,he would have have been an awesome villian.Doc Ock and spidey webslinging were the best parts of the second film.

tomhopeparry
at last i actually agree with mr parker on something!

ock becoming good was a bad idea, it destroyed the credability of his character it made you feel sorry for him instead. It worked well and i can understand why they did it.... but it didnt fit at all!

Endenkton
Ock's credibility wasnt destroyed.And he aint dead either.According to Raimi he just disappeared.So I hope he comes back.

Xam
he gonna be back in man spider 454628 its gonna rockrock

Endenkton
Good to know theres going to be that many Man-Spider movies Happy Dance

TheFilmProphet
I agree.

tomhopeparry
yeah but do you not think after such a good job of making him sinister and evil which worked extremely well, that it was like 'oh hes all good now so its all ok', i think it spoilt his chracter and made me hate him a lot less... and dammit i want to hate the villain! specially as far as ock is concerned!

Ock
Yeah I didnt like that he drowned his reactor at the end,but it was a minor complaint in an otherwise fantastic portrayl.

Endenkton
It WAS a minor complaint in an otherwise perfect performance.

Ock
The power of the sun in the palm of my hand.......

TheFilmProphet
yeah classic cool

Endenkton
You have a train to catch

You're getting on my nerves

Oh she'll be just fine.Lets talk

Find Spider-Man or I'll peel the flesh off her bones

Butterfingers

Those are my favourite Doc Ock lines from the movie.

TheFilmProphet
yeah mines too smokin'

edog
I loved Spidey 2 - Molina did an excellent job

Endenkton
Praise you edog.

Doc Ock will be a hard act to follow in Spider-Man 3.No villain will top him.

TheFilmProphet
I agree, only Venom can top him if he is done right.

SnakeEyes
I really do hope its Venom they choose

Endenkton
No way.Sam Raimi hates Venom.And its kind of obvious who the villains in 3 will be.

gls
i also agree. they might have to do more than one villian in the next film jus to get close to the great doc.

TheFilmProphet
True

doctorstrongbad
Hey why is everybody hating on the Lizard? He is a cool villain plus he has a close relationship with Peter. He is one of the few bad guys you can really feel bad for. Its not his fault when he goes evil style.

SpyCspider
hahah i think people hate on the Lizard because......he's a man who mutated into a lizard? He's big, and scary and that's about it. Wow. IT's not like he's got any special magical powers, no special suit, not much of an originality etc. He's just another "experiment gone wrong" type of villain--which the last 2 movies have already dealt with. To tell you the truth, i don't like it when comics create animal versions of bad guys. Cuz then technically, you can create so many more lame-ass villains in that genre(The Lion, The Shark, The Bear, The Wolf). I mean, I feel for Doc Connors and all that (kinda like The Hulk) but there are faaaaarrr more complex villains than the Lizard.

And no lizard can regenerate perfect limbs as far as I know....tails in some species (geckos, anoles, skinks, etc) are as far as they go in terms of regeneration. Connors should've picked a friggin Starfish.

Jimmy Buggs
The Starfish! he reaks havok in the beaches of newyork ! watch your step in the water!

doctorstrongbad
Well you haters are going to be sad when you see the third movie and The Lizard comes out.

SpyCspider
um, but at least you'll be happy...?

I don't think it's so much of a "hate" seeing Lizard in the 3rd movie, but a PREFERENCE to see a villain that's just more popular and cooler IMO.

I wouldn't mind Lizard being in it....as long as the CGI looks good and there's a good storyline.

doctorstrongbad
They have set up the Lizard to be a great villain. With the right special effects it should be awesome. smile

Ock
Hey this is not a Lizard thread!!!!

This thread is to praise the awesomeness of Alfred Molina as Ock wink

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Ock
Hey this is not a Lizard thread!!!!

This thread is to praise the awesomeness of Alfred Molina as Ock wink

Okay you are right. I'm sorry. I was just defending the Lizard from all of the people who want venom is part 3. you know how that goes.

Ock
http://img168.exs.cx/img168/9659/sepr12fi.gif
http://img168.exs.cx/img168/28/dangle1tq.gif
http://img82.exs.cx/img82/7210/trainfull1gz.gif
http://img29.exs.cx/img29/9859/stop24im.gif
http://img102.exs.cx/img102/7302/butterfingers8on.gif
http://img29.exs.cx/img29/1324/bash3ou.gif
http://img130.exs.cx/img130/651/push0oo.gif
http://img31.exs.cx/img31/5412/slam34ni.gif

doctorstrongbad
Very nice clips from Spider-man 2.

Ock
Thanks.

Ock stole that movie.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Ock
Thanks.

Ock stole that movie.

Do you think he will ever be in another spiderman movie?

Ock
I am certain of it.

Doc Ock is not dead.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Ock
I am certain of it.

Doc Ock is not dead.

I hope they make a movie with several villains in it, almost like a sinister six movie. They would need six villains.

Ock
The best scene Kirsten Dunst has had in her entire movie career:

dami wilson
DR Ock might resurface as a clone but I've been told he's dead. Ock peace to you , how are things. Sorry I pissed you off earlier. Just biz nothing personal! roll eyes (sarcastic) cool smile embarrasment eek! roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) know what I mean?

Ock
You've been told wrong.

Read this: http://www.nicklogic.com/batbrain2.jpg

TheFilmProphet
wow, Haven't talked to you in a while Ock.

Very good point Ock, back when Spidey 3 was first released people thought I was crazy when I said he wasn't actually dead.

Originally posted by Ock
The best scene Kirsten Dunst has had in her entire movie career:

I couldn't agree more, hysterical

Ock
I think you mean when Spidey 2 was first released wink

Yeah Ock is sooooo not dead.He had such an open 'death'.

No body=Not dead.Especially when it comes to the villain.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by Ock
I think you mean when Spidey 2 was first released wink

Yeah Ock is sooooo not dead.He had such an open 'death'.

No body=Not dead.Especially when it comes to the villain.

Wow, can't believe I said Spidey 3. My mistake, lol

He really did,

I agree, and its almost always the case when it comes to a films such as this one.

Endenkton
Alfred Molina rules big grin

TheFilmProphet
I second that, cool

Mr Eddie Brock
I THIRD that! laughing

Mainstream
hyperhyperhyperhyperhyperhyperhyper he was pretty cool

Mr Eddie Brock
Ladies and Germs, MR. ALFRED MOLINA love
Anyone who says he's ugly, SUCKS! mad

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/ILoveEddieBrock/Alfred/kennedycenter2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/ILoveEddieBrock/Alfred/kennedycenter4.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/ILoveEddieBrock/Alfred/Spider-Man%202/O.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/ILoveEddieBrock/Alfred/Spider-Man%202/Bloopers/Cell2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/ILoveEddieBrock/Alfred/58-14701-sm2.jpg

I have BUNCHES more of Alfred pics stored away in the PHOTOBUCKET ALBUM. If you would like to see them just PM me and I'll give you the URL

Spiderman_RJ
yes lizard is a disturbed charachter like mud face is to batman.

Spiderman_RJ
alfred moline was perfect for doc octopus but dont forget the all might willian dafoe wich was BRILLIANT and PERFECT as norman osborn, he would had been much better than oc if was not for that stupid suit. (no no ppl, lets not get back to the GG suit sucks, its done, we can only cry for it)

Spiderman_RJ
Doc Ock i hope you realise its illegal displaying frames of a motion picture for public audience like u did with your gifs animations.

Doc Ock
Originally posted by Spiderman_RJ
Doc Ock i hope you realise its illegal displaying frames of a motion picture for public audience like u did with your gifs animations.

No it is not illegal smile

Spiderman_RJ
"any public display of this motion picture is forbiden"

TheFilmProphet
He was not displaying/showing the film and or any portion of it. He merely posted a series of pictures that were joined together to form what is made to seem like a few seconds of film. Technically he only posted some pics and the only way pictures can be considered even remotely close to illegal is if he were to post pictures from the film before ANY pictures were to be released. Even then the pictures would merely be removed from the site and no further action would likely be taken. Now were he to post the entire Spider-Man 2 film in the form of a video file on this or any other board then perhaps you could rightly accuse of him of the actions of which you speak.

Spiderman_RJ
learning everyday, 10x

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.