POLL - Biblical contradictions #1

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Zero
Who carried the cross Jesus was nailed to? Cast your vote ...

Matthew
27:32 As they were going out, they met a man from Cyrene, named Simon, and they forced him to carry the cross. 33They came to a place called Golgotha (which means The Place of the Skull). 34There they offered Jesus wine to drink, mixed with gall; but after tasting it, he refused to drink it. 35When they had crucified him, they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

John
19:16 Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away.
19:17 And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:
19:18 Where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.

SlipknoT
I think it was Gary Coleman

queeq
laughing out loud

THose texts do not contradict themselves BTW. One just has a little addition to it with Simon of Cyrene. Just because one gospel doesn't mention a particular event, it doesn't always mean it's the complete account with nothing left out.

finti
creates doubts though

queeq
Why? If you and I tell thinsg about the early days about these boards, you may come up with different events than me. Doesn't mean only one of us can be right. The gospels are eye witness accounts. The fact that there are four already shows one would have been too limiting mto tell Jesus's story properly.

Papaumau
Who was this guy Jesus anyway ?

Wasn't he just the Jewish son of a local carpenter ?

queeq
Yup.

yerssot
"I find the amount of religious threads disturbing" no expression

queeq
Actually..... me too.

Actually, I am moving this to the Philosophy dept.

nemo
how real is are the facts in the bible anyway?

SlipknoT
They arnt facts at all

Moo Cow
they both carried it no expression

SlipknoT
You mean Gary Coleman AND Webster carried the cross

Moo Cow
anyone you want no expression

queeq
Painful

WindDancer
There is already a Bible: Fiction or fact thread! What's the point of this thread? Discuss it in that other thread! Gosh! Can we just use ONE specific thread?!

queeq
Working on it, WD.

WindDancer
I won't mind helping getting things in order. wink

queeq
You have a gun? evil face

WindDancer
Most Blade Runners carry a weapon....wink

Must find all Replicants! stick out tongue

Corsie
Jesus carried his own cross at first but then because his weakend state (from the prior beatings, lack of water, and lack of sleep), the Romans forced Simon of Cyrene to help him carry it. Under Roman law, a Roman soldier could force a person to carry a burden for one mile.

The Omega
Bible contradictions...
Ohhhh big grin
There are at least 300 of those http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

queeq
From a certain point of view.

BackFire
As much as I'm all for pointing out contradiction and other problems of the bible, most of those seem pretty trivial. Still interesting, nonetheless.

queeq
Interesting.....wow? Backfire says something positive. See! miracles do happen. big grin

BackFire
Yes, it does happen. However, there are alot of valid contradictions that seem rather hard to dispute. Like the one about the two different accounts of Earths creation. That seems like kind of a biggie.

queeq
Two different accounts?

BackFire
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/accounts.html

Yeah, check it out.

BackFire
Sorry, not earths creation, Mans creation.

Fiery Eyes
Mat 27:32 And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross.
Mark 15:21 And they compel one Simon a Cyrenian, who passed by, coming out of the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to bear his cross.
Luke 23:26 And as they led him away, they laid hold upon one Simon, a Cyrenian, coming out of the country, and on him they laid the cross, that he might bear it after Jesus.
John 19:17 And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:

John Just told it in his view, I agree w/queeq, all the other gospels tell of Simon.

queeq
THose are not necessarily accounts that exclude each other though, taht of creation of man. One is a summary, a bit rough, the other's a bit more extensive. Of course, if you're gonna read the Bible with a calculator, you're gonna miss out all the fun of the poetry.

The Omega

queeq
Does it matter?

The Omega
Queeq> If the Bible is littered with contradictions?

queeq
It's not littered. As I said, it's not a calculator thing. But if you wanna go that way: sure full of contradictions. So you point is that it's not reliable. So don't believe it. End of story.

Fiery Eyes
Jesus did carry it part of the way, and Simon carried it the rest.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.