I feel stupid but what is the difference between widescreen and fullscreen?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Punkyhermy
CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN? confused

§pearhead
widescreen has letter boxes on the top and bottom, and keeps the picture in proportion so you don't miss anything. Fullscreen takes up the entire screen and therefore has to cut out parts of whatever your watching on either side, so you miss some of what you watch...get wide screen thumb up

§nakehead
full screen is the best

Agent Elrond
widescreen cool, but if u have a small TV, it sucks, the pic is tiny

JKozzy
Widescreen preserves the original theatrical aspect ratio, usually 2.35:1 or 1.78:1. It's filmed in a widescreen ratio since theaters obviously can have a wider screen film, and that's basically how we see life through our two human eyes, in widescreen. When movies come to DVD, they're usually released either with both versions on the disc (wide and full) or just widescreen. Sometimes they make fullscreen versions, too. Fullscreen is for people that are insecure about themselves and feel the need to chop off almost 50% of the picture so it fills their entire screen. It's disgustingly zoomed in, and when something happens on the left side of the picture, then something on the right, the editor has to actually pan across the film, not only looking very cheap and obvious, but it's just a complete ripoff. With widescreen movies, which I should say is all movies, since every single movie is shot in widescreen, are shown on a television with a 1.33:1 aspect ratio, black bars are present since the height of the film is less than that of the television. Anybody owning a widescreen television wouldn't have black bars on most widescreen movies, and would have very tiny ones on a select few whose filming aspect was even wider. Fullscreen is basically for anybody too wimpy to see the whole picture and wants to cut off virtually half of the frames shot in the movie. When DVDs came out, they were only in widescreen, The Matrix included. Thankfully, and God bless Quentin Taratino, the Kill Bill movies, from what I can tell, are only widescreen on their DVD releases. Fullscreen movies are gross mockeries of the original movie, and people should realize that sacraficing a bit of black is much better than sacraficing half the picture. If you turn off the lights in the room, you can't even tell, so quit whining, widescreen haters.

Attached is a picture showing how much picture you lose when converting a film from widescreen to faulty fullscreen.

Maverick2364
Nice one Joewink

Samurai Guy
clap Very in depth explaination. I am also a fan of wide as opposed to full... you lose so much.

Punkyhermy
oh thanx everyone!

Agent Elrond
I have FotR and TTT in wide, not but RotK. My dad bought full, that @#$%en lazy *insert text here*

Punkyhermy
so everything on TV.Is that widescreen or fullscreen?

JKozzy
Fullscreen, mostly. Some things on TV are widescreen. But get widescreen movies, because... well read my post above, and they're just better.

Punkyhermy
Yeah.I'd rather choose Widescreen then!

JKozzy
Good choice, Punky! yes

ragesRemorse
Widescreen is just witnessing the movie through the vision of the Driector.

Royal Knight
some dvd players have options where you can change the aspect ratio...

with the regular 4:3 letter box
to 4:3 Normal ratio

and 16:9 aspect ratio of anamorphic widescreen

JKozzy
Yeah... but why would you want to? Then it REALLY cuts stuff off.. it doesn't pan for you to see the action, it just flat-out chops off the sides... the DVD players just change how it's projected, nothing special. Don't really get the point in mentioning it; it's just for setting up a television set, if you have a widescreen TV, you tell the DVD player that so you can take full advantage of it. If you tell it you have a WS tv and you don't, it'll just chop stuff off.

Rad_1
You sure, Koz?confused I've always hated widescreen...I find it kind of annoying.confused

fucme

JKozzy
I'm positive... they're not annoying, they're the true movie. Why settle for modified crap?

Rad_1
Alright. I'll try 'em out. Thanx, Koz.smile

manchichirtchit
full screen sucks.

charlit
ive got a plazma :s

clewis4u91
Wow thanks for the help.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.